Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭bulldog_947

When I was younger I was in my house I got up to walk to my front door as I was walking I looked at the bottom of the stairs and sitting there was a little girl looking at me. she was wearing like a night dress but next thing she just vanished, it freaked me out a small bit but I thought it was just something I imagined. Then about four years later there was a knock on the door and it was a English man with his wife he said that he used to live there years before and was just back visiting where he grew up. I called my mother and she invited them in he told us about the history of our house and that they used to run a shop in the front room of the house. Then he told us about a fire that happened and how his sister died on the stairs. Freaked me right out but there was never been a bad feeling in the house and I was never scared being there.i never saw her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Just dropped in to say that I've read every single post in this thread. It kept me entertained for a good few week-night! ... I can see the ghost image in the bush, freaky stuff. Don't have any real experience on my part but my father has a few. Might add a post tomorrow when I'm not hanging together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Come on - don't leave us in suspense!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

A few years ago there was a board about the haunted house in Baltinglass. It's a bit of a zombie board now so I thought I'd resurrect the topic on this board.

I was over there this summer with my aunt - she's lived four miles from the house all her life. The story she'd heard was that a Miss Willoughby was living in the gate lodge of the house. Miss W had been babysitting the kids of a local farmer. Him and the wife came and picked up the kids late at night and off they went. A short while later Miss W realised they'd left the baby's bottle behind so it was no surprise when a banging came to the front door. She answered it to ---- No-one. Nothing there at all. The knocking came and went all night. Doors opened and closed by themselves in the house. The poor woman had a terrible night of it. She put up with it for a further few days then moved out. Other people who moved into the gatelodge had the same treatment.

This would have been back in the day - 1960s - 1970s.

The main house, according to my aunt, was okay although there are stories of Old Grogan (Grogans are the family who own the house) haunting that area and being seen in the town of Baltinglass, I'll tell you those in another post.

The Big House is occupied to this day, apparently without any problems. Haven't heard anything about the gatelodge for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

Grogans had a country house a couple of miiles outside of Baltinglass, in fact as far as I know, Grogans still live in it.

People of my Ma and uncles/aunts age (80s - 90s) remember Old Grogan well; he was a tall thin man who always wore a hat and was considered a bit of an oddity. Unlike a lot of the local gentry, he was often in and around the town - a bit of a character. He was also a keen horseman and when his favourite horse died, the story is that he had it buried in front of the House. And then when he died, the story goes that he was buried beside it! I can't say if this is true.

However, here's a couple of stories about Old Grogan after he'd died.
    My aunt Katie was waiting up for one of her sons to come home from the pub. As she looked out of the window she saw a man coming down the way, then he turned into her house, not through the gate but through the hedge. The man came on down the garden, in front of her eyes, and then just vanished. A tall thin man with a hat.
    She really couldn't believe what she'd seen so went out next morning to see where he'd got through the hedge. At this point she was still thinking it was some drunk who'd come to the wrong house. The hedge was made of sceochs. (I'm not Irish-educated so I'm guessing at the spelling). No-one in their right mind would have come through it - they or their clothes would have been torn. They would also have made a sizeable hole in the hedge. Nothing. No sign at all that anyone had come through it. Katie knew Grogan well in life. That was him coming down the path.

Another cousin, born well after Old Grogan's time, was out with his friends fishing behind the Grogan place. Three of them saw a tall man wearing a hat, on a horse, walk up to them and then across the river where he disappeared. It was their older relatives who recognised the description as that of Old Grogan. It's nice to know he was reunited with his horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

very nice story, thanks for sharing :)

One of my Da's classic's was the night he heard the Banshee.

One night my Da was just after leaving my Ma back home from a night out. She lived in the Kimmage at the time and my Da lived in St Treaseas Gardens. This night he decided walk through Sundrive Park. Still to this day he doesn't know what made him take that route.

Anyway he was walking along when he heard a faint cry. He said it sounded like a cat so he just kept on walking. After a few seconds he could it hear it again but only this time louder. He thought he was just getting closer to where ever the cat was. As he kept on walking he heard to sound again, only this time it as like a scream, as you know something like a cat mixed with a babys cry. He said he just stopped and could feel his blood run cold. He said that,that was the moment when he knew it was the Banshee. My nanny was convinced of this Banshee, so I think it rubbed of my Da.

Anyway he started to run to the other end of the park, the end that leaves you just near the fire station. He said the faster he ran the louder and nearer the cry became. He eventually jumped over the gate and stopped for a minute to calm himself down and tell himself to stop being so stupid.

He said after a few seconds everything seemed grand, until he saw a figure sitting on the green. People from around Crumlin/Dolphins Barn might know what green I'm talking about, the one just right across of the Fire Station.

Anyway he said the minute he seen the figure he knew straight away what it was and just ran all the way home. When he got home my nanny asked what was wrong and he told her what had happened. He said she went very quite and told him to go up to bed and stop acting the drunken fool.

The next day by uncle James died a sudden death. He collapsed in the toilet getting ready for work. Blood clot on the brain.

Ever since then anytime I hear a cat cry in the middle of the night I get the shivers and have to tell myself to calm down.

Now I dont really know whether to believe him on this or not, maybe it was just his way of coping with his brothers death.

But still to this day he swears down to the ground that this happened

Jaysus that was a long post sorry! I have a few more he told me if anyone like to hear them lol!

A few years ago there was a board about the haunted house in Baltinglass. It's a bit of a zombie board now so I thought I'd resurrect the topic on this board.

I was over there this summer with my aunt - she's lived four miles from the house all her life. The story she'd heard was that a Miss Willoughby was living in the gate lodge of the house. Miss W had been babysitting the kids of a local farmer. Him and the wife came and picked up the kids late at night and off they went. A short while later Miss W realised they'd left the baby's bottle behind so it was no surprise when a banging came to the front door. She answered it to ---- No-one. Nothing there at all. The knocking came and went all night. Doors opened and closed by themselves in the house. The poor woman had a terrible night of it. She put up with it for a further few days then moved out. Other people who moved into the gatelodge had the same treatment.

This would have been back in the day - 1960s - 1970s.

The main house, according to my aunt, was okay although there are stories of Old Grogan (Grogans are the family who own the house) haunting that area and being seen in the town of Baltinglass, I'll tell you those in another post.

The Big House is occupied to this day, apparently without any problems. Haven't heard anything about the gatelodge for years.

Interesting post, would love to hear more about the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Ok, I know this is going to be filled with sceptics, saying they don't exist, but I personally believe they do.

The problem for me isnt so much to say ghost dont exists, its in what do you call a ghost.

Mostly what people generally refer as ghost are manifestations of entities which cannot always be easily explained. The route I do take while looking at any "paranormal" phenomenon is to find the easiest explanation possible and plausible - meaning non-abnormal or supernatural - it often works; You witness a video of a banging sound and a door opening in a dark hallway: its fake, someone produced the sounds and someone opens the door. This comes back to the idea that the most obvious explanation is often the correct one.

Sometimes however I cannot find those simple explanation and this is the time where in me the existence of something "paranormal" emerges. And rightly so as it is literally unexplained to me at that particular moment. I would also add that despite the huge leap in science mankind has made in recent years I am pretty convince that not all has been discovered and so why not a force of unknown origin at the source of some of those unexplained events? Time often tells.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Pretty sure there is no such thing as ghosts but everyone loves a good ghost story and there's some good ones here. Great thread for a dark and wet autumn evening!

• Advertisement

Pretty sure there is no such thing as ghosts but everyone loves a good ghost story and there's some good ones here. Great thread for a dark and wet autumn evening!

Agree! Can't make up my mind whether if I believe in them or not, my mind changes almost daily, but stories are still great entertainment either wise. Pity I read most of these during the summer. Should have left them for days/nights like this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Scaredy_Cat

Zoomed in

null_zps375b5d43.jpg

Wow I very rarely can see what everyone else sees in photos but I can clearly see what looks like a blond haired girl wearing like a sleeveless dark jumper (could be a pinafore so a school uniform?) with a blue shirt underneath and dark tye ??? Saw nothing on big photo but when you pinpointed it I can now see it on the big pic aswell! Is that what you see too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

yeah I can see it now alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i see a smudge. I say pareidolia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I see an old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

If anyone is interested, there was a documentary on TG4 on Sunday night called Díbirt Deamhain, you can catch it on the TG4 player (which annoyingly only works in Internet Explorer).

The Examiner also had an article today about the rising number of exorcists in Ireland. Interesting read

Wow I very rarely can see what everyone else sees in photos but I can clearly see what looks like a blond haired girl wearing like a sleeveless dark jumper (could be a pinafore so a school uniform?) with a blue shirt underneath and dark tye ??? Saw nothing on big photo but when you pinpointed it I can now see it on the big pic aswell! Is that what you see too?

I can see the same. Very creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ok, so "answers on a post card" here. i'd be relatively open minded to the whole ghosts idea and whatnot. i wouldn't be dismissive of it, but that said i'm not too hung up on it either.

this probably isn't the spookiest story in the world but what the hell :)

during the summer myself and my girlfriend were on holidays in Lanzarote with her family. we had booked two apartments, one for us two and one for the rest of her family. on arrival there was confusion over apartments and it happened that we had to switch apartments after we were getting settled in the first one.

never really liked the new one, there was just something about it. in the living room in particular i could just picture bad things about it in my head without actually seeing them if that makes sense although i never told my girlfriend this. so my girlfriend is quite a regular sleeptalker which i have gotten very used to. usually she just makes noises not real words or inconsistent sentences that are a random jumble of words. but one night around 7 or 8 days into the holiday she wakes in the middle of the night in a sleeptalking state and wakes me saying "she is waiting for you in the living room". i asked her what she was talking about as it was the first time her sleeptalking had ever made sense and she just repeated "she's waiting for you in the living room", so i panicked a little and shook her to wake her out of her sleeptalking and we both went back to sleep.

the next day i told her what she was saying in her sleep and we both had a bit of a laugh about it and thought no more. but then 2 nights later she wakes me in the middle of the night again and this time she says "she's here", so i said "what?" and she says to me "she's in the room, do you want to talk to her?". needless to say i **** myself and screamed to wake her up out of her sleeptalk state and at the same time reached out of bed to turn on the light, panicking, i clicked the light switch and the light illuminated for a split second and then the bulb went. my girlfriend was paralysed with fear so i had to get across the room to turn the other light on which thankfully worked.

we went home 2 days later, thankfully. not sure what i make of this but felt i should share it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Seems to me that the recurring theme of a female wishing to talk to you, might be something that your girlfriend is worried about, or preoccupied with subconsciously and her thought pattern is processing at night.

At the time of the holiday, was there a "third party" female that might have had some sort of significance, interest or concern to your girlfriend?

Eg: completely random suggestion. Perhaps she seen you chatting with another girl at some time recently, and for some reason it had bothered her.

Note: this might be nothing at all. But I've just read my post and had to edit it. At the end of the second paragraph I had subconsciously written "sister" instead of girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I haven't really had a full on experience with ghosts, but I had heard a few strange things in my house that lead me to believe there is something there!

Years ago my parents went out for a while in the evening and I was just on my own in the house watching TV in the sitting room with the door closed. I heard this banging noise outside the door and I thought nothing of it until there was a sound that would come from some one running up our stairs... I got such a fright that I ended up hiding under a table in the sitting room until it stopped!!

More recently then, about 1 week ago in the same house, I was on own when I heard what sounded like somebody come through my front door and head upstairs and walk around.. There was nobody actually there because I got a call from my family a few mins later asking how I was getting on that they would be out for another while!

I am convinced there is some thing going on in our house as I tend to feel like there is 'something' there when ever I go to our landing upstairs.

It scares the cr*p out of me on a regular basis.. and for some reason I am always the only person to hear things happen .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

leddpipe wrote: »
    not mine but 24-hedgerow.jpg

:confused:

@Ledpipe....giveusaclueswillya..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Can see at least 2 figures standing in the mist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

cant see anything only mist...

There's the ghost of a flattened crocodile to the left of the picture. Apart from that, nada.

Ooh wait, I can see a green telly-tubby hiding in the bushes, bottom left of photo. He looks angry too.

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Can see at least 2 figures standing in the mist!

If you mean what I think you referring to then those illusionary figures would be absolute giants. The head of the "figure" in the middle probably being caused by a gap in the trees in the distant background.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

What are we suppose to be looking at? Can whoever posted this highlight what it is your looking at? Ty

lucky333 wrote: »
    What are we suppose to be looking at? Can whoever posted this highlight what it is your looking at? Ty

Yes indeed...at one stage I did think that this might be a set up.

What I think Dellas1979 is referring to. (?)

Follow the central grass track til it stops. Then look up. The seeking eye might be able to make out a "figure", the head of which to me, is quite clearly a gap in the background trees.

And to the right of that "figure" mist formations suggest a blurred outline somewhat resembling a stocky hunching over giant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Well with a squint of the eye and a good imagination there is what looks like a woman and child to the right of the gap in the tree..
    I just thought it might have been something obvious to look at :/
    I like the crocodile with the little owl next to it!!

Advertisement