Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

technacalities to get off penalty points

Options
  • 23-02-2006 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All
    I was stopped by a garda doing 118kmh in a 100kmh zone he said he would send out a ticket and add 2 points to my licence what technacalities can get me off this i.e. name spelled wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How about learning from it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Why the F should you get off?

People getting off on technicalities make me sick.

Christ you broke the Fìng speed limit and got done for it , take it like a man!

The amount of people getting killed on the roads and then ya have tossers tryina get off on technicalities , eh the points are there for a reason , so the rest of us have a smaller chance of getting killed by idiots speeding for no good reason :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Why the F should you get off?

People getting off on technicalities make me sick. :

You're in Ireland, the home of the technicality!!
    OLDYELLAR wrote:

Christ you broke the Fìng speed limit and got done for it , take it like a man!

The amount of people getting killed on the roads and then ya have tossers tryina get off on technicalities , eh the points are there for a reason , so the rest of us have a smaller chance of getting killed by idiots speeding for no good reason :mad:

I whole-heartedly agree with trying to get off. The VAST majority of speed checks take place on the nations safest roads...It's purely a money spinner

Well I hope to god he does get done for it.

Speed limits are in place for a reason , maybe it`ll take a few more people to get killed on the roads to drum this into people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Speed limits are in place for a reason , maybe it`ll take a few more people to get killed on the roads to drum this into people.

Yeah, but a lot of them are senseless. Personally I find it very frustrating, almost unnatural to drive under 50kmh on a main road like Swords Rd etc. I agree with speed limits, but they need to be reasonable. If I was in charge itd be 60 in cities and towns, 80 on back roads, 90 on national roads, 110 on dual carriageways and 130 on motorways. I'd say most people would adhere to these and its really only driving in excess of these thats genuinely dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

ya i agree why do hell should u get off.i lost my cusin in a car crash and they wernt even speeding and some clowns go around breaking the limits do u want to kill everyone in the fecking country as if the roads wernt bad enough:mad: and that 18kmh over u were could make the differance between life and death think about that.and did u auctually think u wer going to get there faster going a couple of miles over the speed limit?i bet the guard slowed u down a long time :8)

Well to be honest what you or anybody else would change them to or believe in your own head to be correct doesnt really matter because the limits are in place and are there to be adhered to.

The guy broke the law , he should fup up learn his lesson and take the points , might teach him to slow down in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

zuutroy wrote:
    Yeah, but a lot of them are senseless. Personally I find it very frustrating, almost unnatural to drive under 50kmh on a main road like Swords Rd etc. I agree with speed limits, but they need to be reasonable. If I was in charge itd be 60 in cities and towns, 80 on back roads, 90 on national roads, 110 on dual carriageways and 130 on motorways. I'd say most people would adhere to these and its really only driving in excess of these thats genuinely dangerous

So to teach them a lesson your going to speed? It doesnt matter what the speed limit is, its teh law, and you have to obey it or pay a fine.

As for them being on safe roads, and it being a money spinner. If people didnt speed, it wouldnt matter if they followed you around with the gun all day. So the only reason it is a money spinner is because the people who break the law make it that way.

Stekelly wrote:
    So to teach them a lesson your going to speed? It doesnt matter what the speed limit is, its teh law, and you have to obey it or pay a fine.

As for them being on safe roads, and it being a money spinner. If people didnt speed, it wouldnt matter if they followed you around with the gun all day. So the only reason it is a money spinner is because the people who break the law make it that way.

I couldnt agree more.

Its the law , You broke it , take the punsihment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

...and its not even Friday night yet. :rolleyes:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

desbard wrote:
    Hi All
    I was stopped by a garda doing 118kmh in a 100kmh zone he said he would send out a ticket and add 2 points to my licence what technacalities can get me off this i.e. name spelled wrong
    There are numerous technicalites that could be used in your case, don't think i should tell you them though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

desbard wrote:
    Hi All

Why not if you can if it happened to the guy next door and his bro or Da were a Guard they would, so why one law for them and another for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

man you cannot get off the points as they will be put on ur licence, if the guards checked ur licence then nothing can happen.
    anyway its only 2 points so just learn ur lesson now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Peasant, Oldyellar, CarMad -

I'm not sure that desbard cares much about your moral posturing. He asked a question, either you can answer it or you can't.

Well Anan excuse me for having an opinion but did you answer his /her question in your post?

No I dont ruddy well think so :rolleyes:

In case you hadn't noticed, I was answering you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I answered his question. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bond-007 wrote:
    I answered his question. :D

you told him you knew the answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Car Mad wrote:
    and that 18kmh over u were could make the differance between life and death think about that.

I think now hitting someone at 100km/h and 118km/h are going to have pretty much the same effects. So less of the drama.

You were nicked dude. Accept it - I was on my bike 2 years ago - crossed the liffey at heuston there and went around the right hand turn to go up the quays - before I had the bike levelled back up I saw the garda waving his hand at me. I pulled over. He was actually nice enough - 'I know its 10pm at night and there road the traffic is light but I am going to have to take your details'...

I agree that some of the checkpoints are rediculous - 'the easier the better' mentality instead of manning the danger zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kdevitt

For a while, if you entered the wrong licence number when returning your fine they couldn't allocate the point to your licence... not sure if that been sorted yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

zuutroy wrote:
    Yeah, but a lot of them are senseless. Personally I find it very frustrating, almost unnatural to drive under 50kmh on a main road like Swords Rd etc. I agree with speed limits, but they need to be reasonable.

I get what you're saying about appropriate speed limits but the OP was
    desbard wrote:
    stopped by a garda doing 118kmh in a 100kmh zone
    so we're talking about an unrestricted national road, i.e. national speed limit, so there's no question of this being an inappropriate speed limit.
    Drax wrote:
    I think now hitting someone at 100km/h and 118km/h are going to have pretty much the same effects. So less of the drama.

It's not about hitting someone at the speed, it's about being in control of the car and having time to react to hazards and danger, to be able to minimise or even prevent any impact

- its the extra 10 meters you've travelled in the 2 seconds it takes you to react to a hazard at 118km/h compared to 100km/h, that's the length of two ford transits

- its the difference in stopping distances from 118km/h to 0km/h compared to 100km/h to 0km/h

- its the likelyhood of being able to regain control from a skid at 118km/h compared to 100km/h

- its the ability control the car if you have a blowout at 118km/h compared to 100km/h

You might call that drama, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

alias no.9 wrote:
    - its the extra 10 meters you've travelled in the 2 seconds it takes you to react to a hazard at 118km/h compared to 100km/h, that's the length of two ford transits
    Indeed. Imagine you're flying around a corner, it's a long sweeping left-hand bend, with large trees all along the side, so your functional view of the road ahead is 30m at best. Suddenly there's a tractor, doing 20km/h on your side of the road, and you're doing 100km/h. There's no way in hell you can stop in time, so if you react quick enough, you can swerve to overtake (there's no oncoming traffic luckily enough). You do swerve and pass within inches of the tractor.

Now try the same thing again at 118km/h, with 10m less reaction time. Tractors are big and tough, If you hit the back of it, you're dead.

Alias No9/Seamus -

It takes you TWO SECONDS to react to a hazard??? If this is true then, with all due respect, neither of you should be in command of anything quicker than a tricycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Anan1 wrote:
    Alias No9/Seamus -

It takes you TWO SECONDS to react to a hazard??? If this is true then, with all due respect, neither of you should be in command of anything quicker than a tricycle.

Two seconds is the widely accepted average time it takes to respond to a hazard.

Ever heard of the two second rule?

Ever wondered where it comes from?

Anan1 wrote:
    Alias No9/Seamus -

Do'h, missed his 2 seconds. In reality, you will react somewhere between 0.5 and 1 second after spotting the stimulus. You may score lower reactions like 0.4 or 0.3, but anything quicker than that will be panic, and then catastrophe, unless you're an F1 driver. In reality, you have to factor in thinking time to your total reaction time (even if it only account for a tenth of a second), as few people will make the right choice without thinking.

It's still 5m in the difference for a 1 second reaction time. In my example above, by the time you've reacted you're almost upon the other vehicle, but with the lower speed you have up to 2 extra car lengths (depending on your vehicle obviously) in which to adjust your velocity.

Think about it for a minute. 2 seconds? I've just done a quick Google and, as far as I can determine, the generally accepted average reaction time is somewhere in the order of 0.75 secs. Even that sounds long to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sounds like the OP is very eager to get away from these particular points, getting close to the magic 12 perhaps? In such a scenario it might be worth your while engaging a solicitor and a proven junior counsel with an established record in technicality exploitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

alias no.9 wrote:
    I get what you're saying about appropriate speed limits but the OP was

so we're talking about an unrestricted national road, i.e. national speed limit, so there's no question of this being an inappropriate speed limit.

It's not about hitting someone at the speed, it's about being in control of the car and having time to react to hazards and danger, to be able to minimise or even prevent any impact

- its the difference in stopping distances from 118km/h to 0km/h compared to 100km/h to 0km/h

- its the likelyhood of being able to regain control from a skid at 118km/h compared to 100km/h

- its the ability control the car if you have a blowout at 118km/h compared to 100km/h

You might call that drama, I don't.

Yes I agree with you. However I made a statement that hitting someone at both those speeds will more than likely obviously have bad outcomes. I am well aware of how speed affects reaction times... I see some amount of ****e on our roads, as does everyone else I am sure. It all about reacting to the driving conditions at hand and knowing how to control the vehicle. The post I said was dramatic included other quotes like:
    Car Mad wrote:
    do u want to kill everyone in the fecking country as if the roads wernt bad enough

This guy got done for speeding. Many others get done for speeding.

The "average" has to take into effect things like fatigue, stress levels (or lack thereof), age, etc. You couldn't say that you would react in X time. What happens if your left hand is changing the radio station right at that time, and your right arm is resting on the windowsill, loosely gripping the steering wheel? It'll take at least 0.1 seconds (optimistically) to get both hands firmly onto the wheel. It may not sound like much, but you've just lost yourself another 3m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I believe this isn't a 'who's got the best reflexes' thread.

The OP got caught speeding. Tough Shi'ite Muslims on ya. If you weren't speeding, you wouldn't have got caught. Plain and simple. There shouldn't be any technicalities to get out of it. If someone smashed your window, would you like it if they got away with it on the technicality that it was the stone that broke it and not the person. Methinks not. MOOVE ON....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement