Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's all gone nuts!

Options
  • 22-02-2006 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Aaaahhhhhh!!!!!

As I've said before, just back from a year out, and now it's week 2, and everything is gone mad! We even had a meeting (a terrifying one) about FYP's today, already. FFS I've never been so snowed under with work - week 2? And there's no avoiding it, it has to be done.... why? I...I...I...

I MISS FIRST YEAR!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I was there too, wasn't impressed with the "If you don't find a supervisor you're fcuked" line...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

which course guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

New Media and English

yeah i wasn't impressed with that either, and the f**ks getting up as soon as he said it

stuff to be handed in week 5 for it to! do these people have no regard for our social lives? :D

HPSS (looking forward to an MA in advanced teamaking I think!)

I've fired off a few emails to lecturers but nothing yet. I don't particularly want to be assigned a topic

hoody wrote:
    social lives? :D

Define please? I no longer remember what this term refers to....

my advice to all: leave college for the real world, first chance you get. tis all downhill from 1st year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

klong wrote:
    I was there too, wasn't impressed with the "If you don't find a supervisor you're fcuked" line...
    i was at that meeting too. i was one of the people barrie wharton laughingly asked if the reason we were leaving was to find supervisors... no, its cos some fourth years were emailed by mistake to attend! so much for subtly running away....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Now I dont feel so bad about second year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chubba1984

Final semester of fourth year. I plan on doing very little for the next 13 weeks!!!:D ;):D

keevita wrote:
    i was at that meeting too. i was one of the people barrie wharton laughingly asked if the reason we were leaving was to find supervisors... no, its cos some fourth years were emailed by mistake to attend! so much for subtly running away....:rolleyes:

Come to the next meeting, then those of us there can have our own, "exclusive" BULBS :eek:

And you never told us you were going to be there!:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

Oh the joys of 1st year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

keevita wrote:

they sent you an e-mail! us unfortunates had to rely on pure rumour! this place is a shambles really.... :mad:

hoody did you actually think people would actually up and leave when they heard that supervisors would be in short supply???? oh my god. rotfl!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

klong wrote:
    "exclusive" BULBS :eek:
    Im deeply hurt at that comment........:(
    I PM'd everyone and some people didnt even bother replying "wanders off for a cry"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

keevita wrote:
    hoody did you actually think people would actually up and leave when they heard that supervisors would be in short supply???? oh my god. rotfl!!!!! :rolleyes:
    They can't not give someone a supervisor.

OK, they could give the role to a few guys who like to dress up in goat suits at the weekends while simultaneously learning how to read while howling at the moon and drinking cat blood but they can't leave someone without a supervisor.

As for sending the email only (and not even to all) it's presumably part of the new online elearning wotsit that doesn't work properly (short article in the current Limerick Leader about it so now everyone knows it doesn't work properly). One of our lecturers (hi Norah) sent a group email using the system three times to be met by undeliverable messages and delayed messages for a mail none of us got. Sometimes a non-tech solution (in this case, a simple notice somewhere relevant) works as well or better than a convenient tech solution, which tends to be lost on people with big IT budgets that have to be spent externally (the lecturer in question, ironically lecturing in requirements engineering, which she herself found ironic took the non-tech solution of telling everyone in person at a lecture which did the job admirably). As is traditional in outsourced IT circles, everything can now blamed by administration on the 3rd party supplier and therefore there is no problem. Welcome to the twenty-first century, hope you enjoy the ride.

One hell of a reply there sceptre... put a smile on my face as I start back into another 1am stint.

Nukem wrote:
    Im deeply hurt at that comment........:(
    I PM'd everyone and some people didnt even bother replying "wanders off for a cry"

By "exclusive" I meant our own humanities BULBS, or HULBBs!!:D

When is the next one anyway?

Oh oh oh.... does that mean that I can have an ECEULBB or BECEULB all by myself.... hee hee maybe im hosting that party right now...

doh... just remember i aint the only ECE person on here... well guys.. what ya say... up for it, just us ECE'ers?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

sceptre wrote:
    They can't not give someone a supervisor.

OK, they could give the role to a few guys who like to dress up in goat suits at the weekends while simultaneously learning how to read while howling at the moon and drinking cat blood but they can't leave someone without a supervisor.

As for sending the email only (and not even to all) it's presumably part of the new online elearning wotsit that doesn't work properly (short article in the current Limerick Leader about it so now everyone knows it doesn't work properly). One of our lecturers (hi Norah) sent a group email using the system three times to be met by undeliverable messages and delayed messages for a mail none of us got. Sometimes a non-tech solution (in this case, a simple notice somewhere relevant) works as well or better than a convenient tech solution, which tends to be lost on people with big IT budgets that have to be spent externally (the lecturer in question, ironically lecturing in requirements engineering, which she herself found ironic took the non-tech solution of telling everyone in person at a lecture which did the job admirably). As is traditional in outsourced IT circles, everything can now blamed by administration on the 3rd party supplier and therefore there is no problem. Welcome to the twenty-first century, hope you enjoy the ride.

Ironically, wasn't at the lecture, thus didn't get the message. So as you see it dosent work well at all!

440Hz wrote:
    Oh oh oh.... does that mean that I can have an ECEULBB or BECEULB all by myself.... hee hee maybe im hosting that party right now...

doh... just remember i aint the only ECE person on here... well guys.. what ya say... up for it, just us ECE'ers?

I propose an EBULBS just for us engineering students!!!!

cooperguy wrote:
    I propose an EBULBS just for us engineering students!!!!

does that include mechies? so nukem can come and supervise?? :v:
    yeah super plan... when and where cooperguy?

who else does this include... all my other potential students :wink: - only messing btw, no shop talk at beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Peteee wrote:
    Ironically, wasn't at the lecture, thus didn't get the message. So as you see it dosent work well at all!
    Ironic my left ass - you were OK to go beering but not lecturing (sort of like me at the beginning of last week, though to be fair what I turned up to on Tuesday was cancelled[1]). Plus, telling people at the lecture probably achieved 80% coverage with some or most of the remaining 20% being told by their mates for compsys students lucky enough to have one (it's OK, it's my course so I can say that) so let's say 90% coverage as opposed to the 0% coverage that the 100% email achieved. Matter of fact, sliding down the Amazon with a bullhorn and announcing it to the naked natives standing by the riverside would have achieved the same coverage as the failed email would have.

As for an EBULBs just for engineering students, while I wouldn't necessarily like to see the small gatherings we have splintered, I think it's a great idea if it gets more people out for that and perhaps then for the 100% authentic regular BULBs as well. Seriously - just do it. If there are only two people there I'll send you some nice candles, if there are more than two you're getting nothing from me.

[1]Got no email about that either. Just the notice carved into the door frame

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

klong wrote:

When is the next one anyway?
    When do you want it?
    Rag week is only around the corner as well:D

440Hz wrote:
    who else does this include... all my other potential students :wink: - only messing btw, no shop talk at beers.

I reckon anyone with the word "engineering" in their coarse name has the honour of attending!!!!

klong wrote:
    By "exclusive" I meant our own humanities BULBS, or HULBBs!!:D
    HULBBs....brilliant....

I sense several factions splitting off.... humanities...engis...comp sysers..... in one big fight to the death

What say you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

Peteee wrote:
    I sense several factions splitting off.... humanities...engis...comp sysers..... in one big fight to the death

What say you!
    Throw down!!!

Ya we could have a UL Faction Death Match (ULFDM)!!!! We could have it in the Stables courtyard so that we could have a BULBS afterward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Mint! as they say in Cork :)

I'm up for a showdown followed by a session :D

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

meh, I'll prolly just watch from a far with my digital binoculars. *shrug*

Wouldn't want nasty engi blod on me now would I ;) :v:

Agree with sceptre, have yer own wee HULBS or *insert attempted witty acronym here* but tis no good if we don't have a better turn out for the BULBS tbqh.

Perhaps ore ragweek or even a BULBS house party at nukems :v:

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:
    ...or even a BULBS house party at nukems :v:

solid idea! I for one support a boards.ie sponsored invasion of nukems apartment!

Advertisement