Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Meet-up. Anyone Interested?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

the date should b grand for me too, though i'll have to check with MY social diary (TV Schedule:p )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I'd be interested if its newb friendly.

same here

id like to learn how to use certain features of linux, mainly networking (setting up fileserver, dns server etc) Also general usage, introducton to linux. have suse 10 installed but havent a bog how to use it, so I dont know how to configure much on it. it would be good also to see other flavours of linux.

but as mentioned this would need to be noob friendly aswell as advanced discussions for advanced linux users.

hopefully this will be on weekend or a md-week evening ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

@Blowfish will I try and get the Ilac for this date or will you try UCD?

em, tbh syth will have a better chance coz hes on the comittee for one of the societies. will talk 2 him bout it tho (and give a hand organizing it coz hes busy in 4th yr)

The Ilac isn't looking good. I fired off an email yesterday about using the room on the 25th and what we're about etc.

My Email:
    Hi Cathy,
    I'm interested in booking the Ilac Library meeting room for the 25th March at around 2/3 o'clock. Myself and about ten other people are interested in getting together to discuss Linux, a computer operating system. This meeting would be open to anyone interested in attending.

Linux is an interesting operating system but one that can be a little difficult to grasp sometimes, so people usually come together and help each other out etc. Its also a place for new users to see different versions of Linux running as well.

Could you tell me if this date and time are available?

Regards,
    Robert

About Linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

I got a reply today but somehow I don't think I was supposed to get it. I sent this email to a Cathy from my work email address which is the Dept. Ag.

Read here:
    Cathy
    > I wouldn't throw this out altogether - any link with another
    > dept. might be useful. Is he wearing ann Agriculture hat or
    > his he private/commercial? Get them to submit a proper
    > proposal - who else might be interested?
    > Alastair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

????

Public library? I would have thought you'd be covered by saying the
    meeting was open to anyone.

I'd reply sweetly to Cathy, and cc: the good Alastair, and say that
    seeing as they're "not throwing it out altogether", could they send
    you on details of the purpose of their meeting room, and what kinds
    of group are entitled to use it.

Apologise to them both that as it's a private hobby meeting,
    you will be unable to offer them a "useful link" with another department.

I do work with a number of Govt depts myself , and I'm certain people
    would be very amused by this exchange.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I'd also be interested in attending a meeting, if it was on in UCD. The date is fine. My experience of Linux is limited, I have installed Ubuntu under VMWare, know basic apt-get commands, mounting NTFS drives etc. Would like to know more.
    I did attend a meeting like this a number of years ago in San Francisco and it was a disaster, the flyer said it was aimed at all levels, with typical American enthuaism loads of people did turn up eager to learn, but it then became a knowledge ego trip for the guys who organised the meeting, and they discussed archaic topics amongst themselves, and took a most condescending manner with the 'noobs', for not having the same zen like levels of Linux knowledge as themselves.

Sorry bit of a rant there, I just mean that if the meeting is aimed at all levels, then people will ask what seem like lame questions to someone with Linux knowledge. From the responses here so far, it does not seem like that will be a problem, as people seem eager and willing to share their knowledge.

Hope this becomes a success.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I might show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

jaqian wrote:
    The Ilac isn't looking good. I fired off an email yesterday about using the room on the 25th and what we're about etc.

My Email:

I got a reply today but somehow I don't think I was supposed to get it. I sent this email to a Cathy from my work email address which is the Dept. Ag.

Read here:

Huh. is this a no or a yes or a monday morning e-mail that has nothing to do with the topic. Because iv done that before.

wrote:
    I did attend a meeting like this a number of years ago in San Francisco and it was a disaster, the flyer said it was aimed at all levels, with typical American enthuaism loads of people did turn up eager to learn, but it then became a knowledge ego trip for the guys who organised the meeting, and they discussed archaic topics amongst themselves, and took a most condescending manner with the 'noobs', for not having the same zen like levels of Linux knowledge as themselves.

I agree totally with this. Dont kick people who are new to linux help them. We all had to start somewhere i still have my Redhat 5.2 disks and paid for the nice packageing two.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

syth pointed me towards this thread. sounds great!

• Advertisement

How does DubLUG sound to people?
    =0)

Getting a room in UCD will be very easy,
    I can also throw emails to my friends in Trinity Netsoc, DCU Redbrick (networking society), I'm sure they'll have contacts in other places.
    I might give a shout to my friends in Sun? alot of them do linux stuff too...

larryone wrote:
    How does DubLUG sound to people?
    =0)

Not bad :) Thats one of the things we can discuss at the meeting... agree on a name for ourselves.
    Getting a room in UCD will be very easy,

Does that mean you can organise it?
    I can also throw emails to my friends in Trinity Netsoc, DCU Redbrick (networking society), I'm sure they'll have contacts in other places.
    I might give a shout to my friends in Sun? alot of them do linux stuff too...

Hope its a big room ;)

jaqian wrote:
    Does that mean you can organise it?
    I suppose I could.
    saturday 25th then?
    jaqian wrote:
    Hope its a big room ;)
    How many should we anticipate?
    If we book a lecture theatre will we feel rediculous with our little group of 10 people in such a large room? If we go for a classroom will we risk over-attendance and the intense smell of too many nerds in a small space.

Is UCD central enough for most people? I mean it's an hour from DCU if anyone cometh down, and it's not on a luas line.

I'll throw in a booking for a room for 50 anyway, and see what they give back to us in a couple of days. If it ends up not suiting enough people then we can always cancel and look at another location

L

Oh - what timeish?
    And I presume we'll be asking for a VGA connection for whatever piece of sh!t we want to throw up on a screen (nigs writing anything for this)
    Most of the lecture theatres in UCD are setup for this kind of thing...

good man larry. ive already posted 2 all CS third yrs, so hopefully there will b a few of them aswell. i'd say the best time wud b for it to be early afternoon, bout 2

Right, on my way back from getting a tasty breakfast "wrap" (no rolls left) I dropped into room bookings, with the intention of.... yeknow.
    Aparently we cant book rooms for student society events outside of term time, and on the 25th we're in the middle of an academic hiatus. At least that's the policy for filling out a bog standard room booking application form.
    So I'm going to contact the people again tomorrow who actually deal with this, and ask them what the story is. If they tell me we can book it as an external group they'd probably charge us something rediculous for the use of the room... and deny us the right to book it as a student society event. If they're nice, they'll allow me to put the Netsoc rubber stamp on the event, and we get it for free....

ble.
    (Why do I fell like I'm signing up for more work or something)
    I might just call them instead of actually going over to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭jmcc

Blowfish wrote:
    %< wrong Linux counter link>%
    The Linux counter link is actually http://counter.li.org

Regards...jmcc
    Linux user #13735

cheers for that, i guess that's what happens if you copy and paste some1 elses link:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

jaqian wrote:

Read here:
    Cathy
    > I wouldn't throw this out altogether - any link with another
    > dept. might be useful. Is he wearing ann Agriculture hat or
    > his he private/commercial? Get them to submit a proper
    > proposal - who else might be interested?
    > Alastair

LOL! :D That's really funny - sounds two steps short of a conspiracy. I should send an email to Cathy's email address from my Department of Education and Science email, but act like I meant to send it to you:
    jaqian, I've noted what Cathy said. I think you're instincts are right on this. I was talking to the Minister and she agrees - it should just look like a random grouping of people. The "Others" can't know we're consolidating Linux usage in the Departments and we can't get bound to doing too many favours to start with. Just go with pretending it's a get-together for nerds and hold it in UCD if all else fails.

Just out of interest, did she ever send you a request for formal proposal?

psicic wrote:
    jaqian, I've noted what Cathy said. I think you're instincts are right on this. I was talking to the Minister and she agrees - it should just look like a random grouping of people. The "Others" can't know we're consolidating Linux usage in the Departments and we can't get bound to doing too many favours to start with. Just go with pretending it's a get-together for nerds and hold it in UCD if all else fails.

Brilliant. rotfl
    Just out of interest, did she ever send you a request for formal proposal?

Nope no reply yet, won't hold my breath either. Wonder why they wanted to cancel it? Is it a case of don't understand it = bin it?

• Advertisement

jaqian wrote:
    Is it a case of don't understand it = bin it?

it must be. I'd chase that up though, as it is a PUBLIC library, which meens the public should be able to use it for what they need. This meeting would be open to the public and is a way to spread knowledge of linux to the public.

Ok ppl how many here will attend the meetup in UCD on the 25th if larry1 can get a room?

[glow2=yellow]PM me.[/glow2]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On a slightly different note as there are many ppl here who are newb in one form or another, what would ppl think of having a mini-install? Bring your laptops along and install Linux for those who don't have it already?

What do you think lads?

jaqian wrote:
    Ok ppl how many here will attend the meetup in UCD on the 25th if larry1 can get a room?

PM me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On a slightly different note as there are many ppl here who are newb in one form or another, what would ppl think of having a mini-install? Bring your laptops along and install Linux for those who don't have it already?

What do you think lads?

all depends on what time it is on

mini install-sounds great

gline wrote:
    all depends on what time it is on

Be on around 2/3

jaqian wrote:
    Be on around 2/3

yeh that should be fine.

Anyone got any suggections for what to discuss at this meeting? Remember its your LUG, what do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

I think a mini install is too much of a distraction for a first meeting.
    If only a few people show though, it wouldn't be a problem.
    An install fest should be an item to discuss.

Bring CD/DVDs of your favourite distro.
    Bring old copies of Linux magazines.

Another thing is bring laptops that are mostly working.
    If you want to do that, post here first as to what problem you'd
    like to get sorted to give people a heads up on what to expect.

I'd much prefer the Ilac as a venue to UCD, as it's much easier to persuade
    people to look after small kids for a couple of hours in an area noted for its cinemas and shopping centres. Going to UCD would add nearly 2 hours to
    the time I'd need to get childcare for.

Jaqian, have you had any other exchanges with Cathy (or Alastair)?
    Could you PM me her surname or direct phone number if it's on a mail,
    and I'll give her a call. This shouldn't be so complicated.

Anything definite on either venue? Pity about the out of term time restriction, but it's probably for security/insurance reasons, so it
    may be harder to get around than you think.

I no longer have an office in Dublin, or I'd offer that.
    Anyone else in a position to do so?

Anyone know anyone who manages a pub with a function room?
    If we made it for noon, we wouldn't be in the way of anyone else.

NiallB

id also prefer ilac to ucd, but if it has to be ucd thats ok
    i mentioned above what id like to get out of the meeting

a good idea is to read this . yeah a mini install fest would be good, plus a mini networking fest (i.e. setting up firewall/server/samba/nfs etc)

• Advertisement

niallb wrote:
    Anything definite on either venue? Pity about the out of term time restriction, but it's probably for security/insurance reasons, so it
    may be harder to get around than you think.
    It was easier than I thought. I happened to be acquainted with they guy in room bookings - he said that it would have to be booked as a Netsoc event, and in terms of the out of term thing, he said that the sub acqua club had booked some sort of a training session thing out of term before, so he put it on the form as linux training and open source conference =0)
    He'll call me later to let me know which room, I asked for a VGA connection too, and it's down for 14:00 till 18:00 so we have plenty of flexability. We should specify a very definite start time tho, as it'll be easier for people to organise themselves, etc...
    I'll post here the minute he calls and let you all know.

L

Advertisement