Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody worried about the Bird Flu creeping towards Ireland?

Options
  • 15-02-2006 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

It is not the actual Bird Flu (which will hit Ireland very soon) that I am worried about but the supposed pandemic that will follow if the flu crosses into a human-to-human transmission.

Will it be our Armageddon?
    As it is a constantly mutating virus, will it be worse than the great flu pandemic of 1918–1919, which caused an estimated 40 to 50 million deaths worldwide?

From http://www.who.int/csr/don/2004_01_15/en/:Laboratory studies have demonstrated that isolates from this virus have a high pathogenicity and can cause severe disease in humans.

I am not one to worry too much about impending doom, but this is kind of scary.

More info at:
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 The War Dept.

Yeah, fair enough it's a bit scary, but in another context, look at the world and show me the places of sanity, if the flu dosen't get us i think there are loads of other things that could, like dick chaney !! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

I understand that humanity has other issues to contend with .... wars, famine etc., but I was thinking more of an unstoppable pandemic happening (in the right set of circumstances), which is really a possibility.

For example, the rapid destruction in 1997 of Hong Kong’s entire poultry population, estimated at around 1.5 million birds, reduced opportunities for further direct transmission to humans (after the deaths of 6 people), and may have averted a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

boardy wrote:
    Will it be our Armageddon?

In the US, the 1918 flu infected 28% of all Americans and had a mortality rate of 2.5% (compared to less than .1% for a "normal" flu at the time).

So, if the avian flu does mutate to become human to human transmissable, the question is, are you feeling lucky? Well are you punk? :eek:

To be honest, theres not much point worrying about it unless it actually does mutate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I'm not worried. Not in the slightest.

And I've been having fun when people at work, etc, blow their nose and say they are having trouble shaking their cold by asking them if they may have, some how, contracted birdflu, then thinking up elaborate ways that might have happened....

"well you did eat in this cafe, right? and they have foreign waitresses? perhaps you caught birdflu unwittingly, because one of their friends recently travelled from an infected part of the world."

BTW, patrick holford, the UK nutritionist, suggests that you can probably avoid birdflu by taking decent quantities of vitamin C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Stop watching Sky news and Fox and CNN and CNBC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Not a good time to be a poultry farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

there are 83 million people in Vietnam and how many died????? approx 40

The point that I am trying to get across is not fear of the Bird Flu itself but the mutation into a deadly superbug because of its proliferation around the globe. This particular strain of the virus may evolve to the worse case scenario, in which more than 92 million people will become ill in the U.S. alone in the space of four months.

So far the virus has been jumping from birds to humans, but scientists believe it is just a matter of time before it learns how to transmit from human to human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

I would imagine that the opportunity for this virus to mutate into a human to human transmissable form is much less here in Ireland than in the likes of Turkey and Asia. I would hazard that if it has not already happened there it is not likely to happen here.

The loss of wildfowl and the potential impact on the poultry industry is more worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not in the slightest.

You know what does worry me though? The prospect that if a single person infected with Ebola ever managed to board a commercial airliner, experts reckon that the spread of contamination would be unstoppable and would wipe out over 90% of the population. Now that's fúcking scary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭blahblah1234

I think it will cause deaths and yes worldwide, but not millions. As recently heard 25% of our population has enough vaccine to prevent that from happening, and more is being produced as we speak. America i.e A very advanced society, much more advanced since the early 20th Century will make many steps to reduce it as much as possible. The EU are working together to help prevent it from getting worse.

Between the next 6-12 months, the problem will be dramatically reduced if not gone, that's the reality. From every serious problem in the past, it has been cured, as previously mentioned, we ( the world ), are a far more advanced society and this problem won't get out of our hands, several million people won't die because of this.

I believe the biggest impact will be associated with poultry etc. The problem has yet to mutate into humans, so currently it's a ' Bird Problem '.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

(I'm not involved with medicine in one way or another, but there's a bunch of stuff I've spotted here I just want to take up..)
    Sleepy wrote:
    You know what does worry me though? The prospect that if a single person infected with Ebola ever managed to board a commercial airliner, experts reckon that the spread of contamination would be unstoppable and would wipe out over 90% of the population. Now that's fúcking scary.

Which experts exactly? There has, possibly, been a single airborne transmission of ebola out of all documented cases of infection. Even that single case is not proven. The only way people contract ebola at the moment is through eating infected meat or contact with bodily fluids from another infected person. You're not likely to do either on a plane.
    I think it will cause deaths and yes worldwide, but not millions. As recently heard 25% of our population has enough vaccine to prevent that from happening, and more is being produced as we speak.

There is no vaccine for any future human-transmissable bird flu. Not one. What you heard about is the stockpiling of generic anti-viral drugs. There's a fair amount of doubt as to whether they'll even be any use, since the current bird flu adapted quickly when patients were treated with it over the past few months in Asia. As far as I remember, a number of people that were infected and treated with anti-viral drugs still died.

It will take at least 4 months from the begining of a human outbreak before a vaccine will be developed to combat the virus. It would be many years before there would be enough vaccine created to protect even the populations of western countries, since there just isn't the capacity in the vaccine production industry to handle such a demand.
    America i.e A very advanced society, much more advanced since the early 20th Century will make many steps to reduce it as much as possible. The EU are working together to help prevent it from getting worse.

Between the next 6-12 months, the problem will be dramatically reduced if not gone, that's the reality. From every serious problem in the past, it has been cured, as previously mentioned, we ( the world ), are a far more advanced society and this problem won't get out of our hands, several million people won't die because of this.

We still have very few treatment methods for viral infections. You only need to take a look at HIV (another virus) to see how difficult it can be to treat, never mind eliminate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Moriarty wrote:

Which experts exactly? There has, possibly, been a single airborne transmission of ebola out of all documented cases of infection. Even that single case is not proven. The only way people contract ebola at the moment is through eating infected meat or contact with bodily fluids from another infected person. You're not likely to do either on a plane.
    Maybe it's since if you get ebola, you will be bleeding all over the shop, somebody will rush over to help and possibly contaminate themselves...but it's at a stretch I would imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

1. Ebola is transmitted through body fluids. You have a high probability of infection through blood or semen or fecal matter (which will most likely contain blood), you have moderate chance of infection through vaginal or repiratory secretions and saliva (most likely though blood again).

2. We have no vaccine against bird flu, the current anti-flu therapies are useless and its unlikely that there will be any reasonably effective treatment for any viral panademic before things get nasty.

3. That said, the chance of human-human bird flu transmission occuring is slim. Remember SARS? Remember how paniced everyone was? Remember how it all turned out to be over-hyped by the media?

Same thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That'll learn me to believe everything I see on Discovery...

Moriarty wrote:
    There is no vaccine for any future human-transmissable bird flu. Not one. What you heard about is the stockpiling of generic anti-viral drugs.

Ergo my mild sense of alarm when I started this thread. The general public gets the 'feel good' effect of hearing that we have these huge stockpiles of anti-viral drugs, which in reality are useless. But hey, it's a good sound bite for the politicians who appear on television to assure us that all is well. If we have people on trolleys in our hospitals at the moment, how in God’s name are we going to cope with a catastrophe like this?

I wonder when HIV first appeared on the scene, were similar warnings dismissed.

By the way, more than 21 million people have died from AIDS/HIV since 1981. And currently, over 40 million people has the infection:
    http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm

And the agrument that we are an advanced society and therefore will be able to conquer this threat does not hold true either. Look what's happened with the overuse of antibiotics: the more antibiotics used, the more the bacteria evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Stop worrying, it won't do you any good.

What will be will be.

Enjoy your life today and everyday.

Look out the window and enjoy now.

(anyway - it'll be a meteor from space that'll get us first and wipe us out)

boardy wrote:
    Ergo my mild sense of alarm when I started this thread. The general public gets the 'feel good' effect of hearing that we have these huge stockpiles of anti-viral drugs, which in reality are useless.

Actually, health officials and governement reps have been saying all along that these drugs are useless, its the media that has been promoting them.
    But hey, it's a good sound bite for the politicians who appear on television to assure us that all is well.
    At the moment, all is well.
    If we have people on trolleys in our hospitals at the moment, how in God’s name are we going to cope with a catastrophe like this?

Just as a matter of interest, do you think its a particularly intelligent move to take someone with a suspected flu and putting them in a building full of sick, old, young or disabled people, most of whom will already have a weakened immune system?

In the midst of an epidemic, the *LAST* place you want infectees with something like Bird Flu or SARS or the like is near a hospital full of immuno-compromised people.
    Seeing as there is no treatment or therapy either, the best bet is to isolate infectees in their homes and give them conventional treatments.

Basically your point is moot.
    I wonder when HIV first appeared on the scene, were similar warnings dismissed.

Oddly enough no, they dismissed it as a disease specific to homosexuals, african americans, sinners...the wrath of god and all that.

HIV is a very very different disease to Bird flu on an epidemiological scale. Plus the key point is, HIV actually exists, human-human transmissible bird flu doesn't.
    By the way, more than 21 million people have died from AIDS/HIV since 1981. And currently, over 40 million people has the infection:
    http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm

Go look up the figures for malaria deaths. Several people have died of it by the time you finish reading this post.

It has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
    And the agrument that we are an advanced society and therefore will be able to conquer this threat does hold true either. Look what's happened with the overuse of antibiotics: the more antibiotics used, the more the bacteria evolve.
    No, the misuse of antibiotics lead to antibiotic resistant strains. There are non-antibiotic therapies in development anyway, Tolvamer Sodium looks set to pass Phase 3 clinical trials which will make a big difference.

We are an advanced society, but anyone who thinks we can "conquer disease" is naive and ignorant of the facts at hand. The microbes we fight have been around alot longer than us, are far more highly adapted than we are (if there was such thing as a trans-species an evolutionary scale, they'd be far above us) and they'll be around long after we're gone.

psi wrote:
    At the moment, all is well.

News update:
    Dead Duck found in France .......................

with the H5N1 strain.

psi wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, do you think its a particularly intelligent move to take someone with a suspected flu and putting them in a building full of sick, old, young or disabled people, most of whom will already have a weakened immune system?

In the midst of an epidemic, the *LAST* place you want infectees with something like Bird Flu or SARS or the like is near a hospital full of immuno-compromised people.
    Seeing as there is no treatment or therapy either, the best bet is to isolate infectees in their homes and give them conventional treatments.

Basically your point is moot.

So you are saying that everyone that will get infected with this mutation (when it happens) will stay at home and not flock (excuse the pun) to our hospitals. I do not believe that this will happen. My point is that we do not have the facilities to cope and I do not think that it is moot.
    psi wrote:
    No, the misuse of antibiotics lead to antibiotic resistant strains.

No to what? "No" to the more antibiotics used, the more the bacteria evolve? Doesn't an anitbiotic resistant strain = an evolved bacteria.
    psi wrote:
    We are an advanced society, but anyone who thinks we can "conquer disease" is naive and ignorant of the facts at hand. The microbes we fight have been around alot longer than us, are far more highly adapted than we are (if there was such thing as a trans-species an evolutionary scale, they'd be far above us) and they'll be around long after we're gone.
    We can agree on this.

redman wrote:
    (anyway - it'll be a meteor from space that'll get us first and wipe us out)
    Now, that's the way I want to go. It beats sneezing myself to death.

boardy wrote:
    News update:
    Dead Duck found in France .......................

with the H5N1 strain.

So, lots of animals die from lots of diseases. Yes it's dangerous to humans and yes birds moving don't help, but unless someone with a compatable human flu strain comes into contact with a H5N1 infected bird during the transmissible stage *AND* the viruses manage to interact in a specific way, we have nothing to worry about.

Its a big ask for that to happen and if it was as likely as you seem to think, then we'd be getting sick from ALOT more diseases than we currently do.
    So you are saying that everyone that will get infected with this mutation (when it happens) will stay at home and not flock (excuse the pun) to our hospitals. I do not believe that this will happen. My point is that we do not have the facilities to cope and I do not think that it is moot.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about. The "when it happens " comment just shows how ignorant you are of the facts of the matter.

I'm saying that people *will* rush to hospitals and I'm also saying they shouldn't. I'm pretty sure that hospitals will also issue a directive to turn people away unless they are in a severe state.

This is how it should be. Yes it will stretch our healthcare workers, but no the number of hospital beds will have no bearing.
    No to what? "No" to the more antibiotics used, the more the bacteria evolve? Doesn't an anitbiotic resistant strain = an evolved bacteria.

No antibiotics didn't just stop working. The people who are to blame for that are the patients and to some degree the doctors for lighly making use of them. "Evolved" is a very mis-understood and oft mis-used word, in this case the word is mutated, not evolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dr Kevin Kelleher from the HSE on Morning Ireland said that they could potentially expect up to 200,000 cases when the virus mutates. This explains the story of the HSE not being able to cope. At the moment they have enough flu vaccines for 18% of the population and are aiming to get enough for 25% of us. They are also looking at ways to avoid the "rush" to hospital by by making vaccine available from GPS and clinics.

He also pointed out that flu pandemics occur every 30 years or so and we are overdue. He did give a timeline of up to 10 years for this thing to appear, but it will. The mutated version could possibly kill 5,000 people.

is_that_so wrote:
    Dr Kevin Kelleher from the HSE on Morning Ireland said that they cou;d potentially expect up to 200,000 cases when the virus mutates. This explains the story of the HSE not being able to cope. At the moment they have enough flu vaccines for 18% of the population and are aiming to get enough for 25% of us. They are also looking at ways to avoid the "rush" to hospital by by making vaccine available from GPS and clinics.

He also pointed out that flu pandemics occur every 30 years or so and we are overdue. He did give a timeline of up to 10 years for this thing to appear, but it will. The mutated version could possibly kill 5,000 people.
    Actually he quite specifically pointed out that the current bird flu threat isn't likely to be transmitted from bird to person in Ireland - mainly because its the conditions in the countries where this has occured that contributes.

There may well be a flu panademic but its unlikely to be the one the media is harping on about.

psi wrote:
    So, lots of animals die from lots of diseases. Yes it's dangerous to humans and yes birds moving don't help, but unless someone with a compatable human flu strain comes into contact with a H5N1 infected bird during the transmissible stage *AND* the viruses manage to interact in a specific way, we have nothing to worry about.

Maybe you should have read the first few lines that I wrote when I started this thread:
    "It is not the actual Bird Flu (which will hit Ireland very soon) that I am worried about but the supposed pandemic that will follow if the flu crosses into a human-to-human transmission."

psi wrote:
    You haven't a clue what you are talking about. The "when it happens " comment just shows how ignorant you are of the facts of the matter.

Why are you so angry?
    I am saying that in my opinion the conditions will exist for a human to human transmission of this mutation to occur. And I am not the only one to think this:

"So far, spread of H5N1 virus from person to person has been rare and has not continued beyond one person. Nonetheless, because all influenza viruses have the ability to change, scientists are concerned that H5N1 virus one day could be able to infect humans and spread easily from one person to another. Because these viruses do not commonly infect humans, there is little or no immune protection against them in the human population." (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/qa.htm)
    psi wrote:
    I'm saying that people *will* rush to hospitals and I'm also saying they shouldn't. I'm pretty sure that hospitals will also issue a directive to turn people away unless they are in a severe state.
    I have the feeling that if a person feels that they have contracted this virus, then they will be in a severe state.

psi wrote:
    Evolved" is a very mis-understood and oft mis-used word, in this case the word is mutated, not evolved.
    When I did a search on antibiotic resistant strains, the word 'evolve' was used in many reports. They are probably using it incorrectly. I only used it when talking about antibiotics and bacteria.

You may feel that I haven't a clue and ignorant of the facts. That is your opinion. But let's try to keep it a cordial discussion so that we can all learn about this intriguing topic.

boardy wrote:
    Maybe you should have read the first few lines that I wrote when I started this thread:
    "It is not the actual Bird Flu (which will hit Ireland very soon) that I am worried about but the supposed pandemic that will follow if the flu crosses into a human-to-human transmission."
    Yup and I'm saying that there are far greater issues that we can and should all worry about that are, frankly, more likely.

Were you worried that SARS would make it to Ireland? If not, why not? If so, why and what did you feel when it didn't?

Why are you so angry?

Who says I'm angry, I'm merely stating my opinion.
    I am saying that in my opinion the conditions will exist for a human to human transmission of this mutation to occur. And I am not the only one to think this:

"So far, spread of H5N1 virus from person to person has been rare and has not continued beyond one person. Nonetheless, because all influenza viruses have the ability to change, scientists are concerned that H5N1 virus one day could be able to infect humans and spread easily from one person to another. Because these viruses do not commonly infect humans, there is little or no immune protection against them in the human population." (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/qa.htm)

Now, I know I'm not a native english speaker, but I'm pretty sure that "will" and "could" are quite different opinions.

I have the feeling that if a person feels that they have contracted this virus, then they will be in a severe state.

By severe state I mean medically, not emotionally. When a panademic emerges, often the biggest issue is separating the infected from he paniced. Most of the people who run to hospitals won't be infectees.
    When I did a search on antibiotic resistant strains, the word 'evolve' was used in many reports. They are probably using it incorrectly. I only used it when talking about antibiotics and bacteria.

And the internet is right about everything?

You may feel that I haven't a clue and ignorant of the facts. That is your opinion. But let's try to keep it a cordial discussion so that we can all learn about this intriguing topic.
    I am being civil, I'm merely expressing my opinon, based on what you've presented, if you feel its emotive, thats you opinion, but it is also an incorrect one.

psi wrote:
    Were you worried that SARS would make it to Ireland? If not, why not? If so, why and what did you feel when it didn't?
    That's a whole different thread altogether. Why don't you start that one.
    psi wrote:
    Now, I know I'm not a native english speaker, but I'm pretty sure that "will" and "could" are quite different opinions.
    o.k. How about this:
    "There is no doubt there will be another pandemic," Klaus Stohr of the WHO Global Influenza Program said on the sidelines of a regional bird flu meeting in Bangkok, Thailand.
    psi wrote:
    And the internet is right about everything?
    I was referring to medical journals on the web.
    psi wrote:
    I am being civil, I'm merely expressing my opinon, based on what you've presented, if you feel its emotive, thats you opinion, but it is also an incorrect one.

You are being civil?:
    psi wrote:
    Wouldn't want to be around you when you are angry then.

What kind of response did you expect to elicit when you said that I haven't a clue what I'm talking about and ignornant of the facts? I have not seen your posts elsewhere so I do not know if this is how you regularly speak to other people.

boardy wrote:
    That's a whole different thread altogether. Why don't you start that one.
    Its pretty relevant right here. Its an example of people worried about an alleged threat. You brough in HIV, SARS is a far more reasonable comparison.

Why are you avoiding answering it?
    o.k. How about this:
    "There is no doubt there will be another pandemic," Klaus Stohr of the WHO Global Influenza Program said on the sidelines of a regional bird flu meeting in Bangkok, Thailand.

Can you show me the bit wher ehe says it will be H5N1?

I agree, there will be another flu panademic. I also would agree with an assertion that the earth will experience another meteor impact derived mass extinction. Its not really backing up your assertion that H5N1 will mutate to a human contagion.
    I was referring to medical journals on the web.
    Can you cite me a few, journal name, volume, date and author please, just so I can have a look for myself?
    You are being civil?:
    Yes
    Wouldn't want to be around you when you are angry then.
    Thats your business.

What kind of response did you expect to elicit when you said that I haven't a clue what I'm talking about and ignornant of the facts? I have not seen your posts elsewhere so I do not know if this is how you regularly speak to other people.
    You haven't a clue, based on your posts. You make statements about the current bird flu mutating and becoming a human contagion and try backthis up with alleged references, but not one of your references actually backs up what you are stating. You also conveniently dismiss the point on SARS having previously tried to use HIV to re-enforce your argument.

You haven't a notion of what you're talking about.

psi wrote:
    Its pretty relevant right here. Its an example of people worried about an alleged threat. You brough in HIV, SARS is a far more reasonable comparison.
    Why are you avoiding answering it?
    If I wanted to talk about SARS, I would have created the thread:
    Anybody worried about SARS creeping towards Ireland?
    psi wrote:
    Can you cite me a few, journal name, volume, date and author please, just so I can have a look for myself?
    You are being petty because I used the word ‘evolve’ when talking about antibiotics and bacteria. Here are a couple of references (of many):

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/320/7229/199?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=%22bacteria+evolve%22&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1140257797330_1119&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/315/7105/383?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=%22bacteria+evolve%22&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1140257797330_1119&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1
    psi wrote:
    You haven't a clue, based on your posts. You make statements about the current bird flu mutating and becoming a human contagion and try backthis up with alleged references, but not one of your references actually backs up what you are stating. You also conveniently dismiss the point on SARS having previously tried to use HIV to re-enforce your argument.

My argument is that the more the virus spreads, the greater the chance H5N1 will mutate into a form that is easily transmissible between humans. NEWSALERT: I did not come up with this notion.
    So you can continue to call me clueless and ignorant but it has been in the public domain for some time. I am only conveying this message so please don't shoot me (the messenger). For example:

“A worst-case scenario bird flu pandemic could wipe US$4.4 trillion off global economic output and kill more than 140 million people, according to an Australian report on the macroeconomic fall-out of an influenza pandemic.”
    http://www.planforflu.com/avian_flu_news
    This is a report from an independent think tank and instead of attacking my lack of knowledge on the subject, contact these experts and give them a tongue lashing for their stupidity.

“Because no one knows just how H5N1 will mutate, experts say it will not be possible to start making a vaccine against it until the pandemic strain emerges.”
    (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/01/26/birdflu.vaccine.reut/). Now these experts may be wrong, but they are pretty sure that the H5N1 will mutate.
    psi wrote:
    You haven't a clue, based on your posts....
    Is this you being 'civil' again?

Which leads me to a whole different subject matter altogether:
    Are all ghostbusters angry?

So less of the personal attacks and concentrate on disputing the arguments put forth.

boardy wrote:
    If I wanted to talk about SARS, I would have created the thread:
    Anybody worried about SARS creeping towards Ireland?

Because its relevant. When the SARS "threat" was hot in the media, the worry in Ireland was exactly the same as now. On baords we had lots of posts like your one, with much the same tone and approach (and misinformation) as yours, saying we would be hit, hit hard etc etc.

Of course, it never happened. I ask what you thought at the time because your opinion now, is pretty much related to your opinion then.

If you took the same knee jerk reactionary approach then as you did now, it will be shown that you learned nothing and you just enjoy scaremongering.

So I ask again, were you worried about sars, if not, why not, if so, why didn't we all get sick?

Why are you afraid to answer the question? Will the answer make your POV look that bad?

Can you give me any used by scientists in journals? I'm sure they exist, but what you have shown there are news snippits, albeit general science ones as opposed to media ones.

Technically, we don't say bacteria evolve in the same concept that animal evolution takes place. One subtle difference is that strain A of a bacteria doesn't out compete strain B for total dominence. Both strains still exist in the world and are quite rampant. Yes I am being pedantic.
    My argument is that the more the virus spreads, the greater the chance H5N1 will mutate into a form that is easily transmissible between humans. NEWSALERT: I did not come up with this notion.
    The virus cannot mutate by itself. Do you understand the process involve for what you describe to happen? Can you explain it here?
    So you can continue to call me clueless and ignorant but it has been in the public domain for some time. I am only conveying this message so please don't shoot me (the messenger). For example:

Your conveying media nonsense. Its all twisted into reactionary scaremongering, just like SARS was.
    A worst-case scenario bird flu pandemic could wipe US$4.4 trillion off global economic output and kill more than 140 million people, according to an Australian report on the macroeconomic fall-out of an influenza pandemic.”
    http://www.planforflu.com/avian_flu_news
    This is a report from an independent think tank and instead of attacking my lack of knowledge on the subject, contact these experts and give them a tongue lashing for their stupidity.

Where doe sit say it will happen? You have said "It will definitely happen" - show me experts who say this?
    “Because no one knows just how H5N1 will mutate, experts say it will not be possible to start making a vaccine against it until the pandemic strain emerges.”
    (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/01/26/birdflu.vaccine.reut/). Now these experts may be wrong, but they are pretty sure that the H5N1 will mutate.

Nowhere in that article does it suggest that they are pretty sure. They use the specific term "could". I'm not saying it couldn't happen. I'm saying its very unlikely.

Is this you being 'civil' again?

Which leads me to a whole different subject matter altogether:
    Are all ghostbusters angry?

I'm mod of paranormal? Big deal? I'm also a qualified epidemiologist. whats your point?
    So less of the personal attacks and concentrate on disputing the arguments put forth.
    I'm not being personal, you were and I'll report the post.
    In saying you are ignorant of the facts I am merely stating from your posts. I have displayed in my posts, why I believe this is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Calling someone ignorant is not personal abuse. Back on topic.

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    I'm not being personal, you were and I'll report the post.

I repeatedly used links and references in my argument throughout this thread. How many did you use? Not one.
    Just because you are a qualified epidemiologist, it does not imply that you do not have to supply corroborating evidence.

Even though I mentioned (on a number of occasions) that I was repeating what was in the public domain, you still directed words/phrases like “ignorant, haven’t a clue, haven’t a notion” towards me. In your latest post you say that I “just enjoy scaremongering”. Where is your proof of this?

The whole ‘tone’ of your responses was confrontational and not at all conducive to an open debate where all of us could become more informed (which was the reason why I placed this thread in Humanities to begin with).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement