Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina

Options
  • 15-02-2006 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Anyone here from Ballina?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moi.

Well, not actually from Ballina - actually from Mullingar, but living in Ballina for a few years.

Well, not actually living in Ballina, so much as outside it - in Knockmore.

Actually, not in Knockmore - near Corroy, but in the parish of Knockmore/Rathduff, aka Backs.

Um.

What was the question again?

Oh yeah. Monument's from Ballina too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Wanted Man

Cool...Knockmore is a nice area...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Me.

No, ifs and buts needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jsr

monument wrote:
    Me.

No, ifs and buts needed.

Not something I'd be too proud of, but half of Galway seems to be from Mayo and half of them are from Ballina so who am I to judge;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

My best friend is from Ballina, he's called Bernard Long, anyone else know him?

I think he's from a place called Back'ahinddehopital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

My best friend is from Ballina, he's called Bernard Long, anyone else know him?

I think he's from a place called Back'ahinddehopital

Bernard Long, from backahind, it rings a bell, a good honest lad if i remember correct :D

he should be given a medel along with dougey & plumpus.

oh

I'm from ballina too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I was looking at a map of Ballina one time and someone stole the fillings from me teeth... Ah no, I keed, I keed, love the place, that hotel restaurant at the top of the hill is legend, whats it called, the jug or something. I'd almost go to Ballina just to eat there.

The Broken Jug
    jsr wrote:
    Not something I'd be too proud of, but half of Galway seems to be from Mayo and half of them are from Ballina so who am I to judge;)

I knew it was you. Go back to Clare, or Galway will do for now.

As I keep saying, how ever unlikely, Galway could possibly have a larger Ballina population then the actual town does. At the very least, it probably has the second largest Ballina population.
    jsr wrote:
    I was looking at a map of Ballina one time and someone stole the fillings from me teeth...

Sounds like you were in Galway at the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

I was looking at a map of Ballina one time and someone stole the fillings from me teeth... Ah no, I keed, I keed, love the place, that hotel restaurant at the top of the hill is legend, whats it called, the jug or something. I'd almost go to Ballina just to eat there.

The Broken Jug by any chance? I'm from Belmullet but moved to Dublin to go to college. Really like Ballina though, cos it has shops!! :D

monument, I did not make that filling stealing post it was SimpleSam06. Do not besmerch my boards porsona with misleading statements. as you well know the vile bile I spew in the flesh does enough damage. Let me hide in cyber space and claim to be nice.;)
    My love of the 'Na is well know and praised far and wide. The ecomonic boost my late night drinking and supermacs trips provide to the region are vital to its survival.:D

• Advertisement

See what happens when I don’t just 'copy and paste'. (I cant edit it now by the way)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jsr wrote:
    The ecomonic boost my late night drinking and supermacs trips provide to the region are vital to its survival.:D
    Was that you?? :eek: my hero...

oscarBravo wrote:
    Was that you?? :eek: my hero...

See monument,
    despite your slandering my good name others can see the true motives behind my beer filled stupidity.
    To oscarBravo: its always a pleasure to drink to excess and consume plastic chips with plastic cheese and what might be curry for the betterment of the town. I entend to repeat it every given oppertunity.;)

You’re talking about slandering your online persona, right? Because I’d find it too hard to actually slander you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not from Ballina, but my Sister lives quite nearby, so I head there on occasions.
    It's a nice town. Has come on in leaps and bounds in the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Ballina is to get a new Tesco WITH a Tesco Petrol Station. Cheap Petrol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Galileo

In less than 100 words outline the good points of Ballina.

Rather then spouting out something that could be used as a marketing blurb, I’ll use points – note, as the question asked for good points this is positive points only with no objectivity used…

- Belleek Forest Part
    - Beaches at nearby locations - Enishcrone, Easky, Ross (Killala), Lacken,
    - Ox and Nephin mountains overlook the town
    - The Moy river (with apparently good salmon fishing, and sea trout fishing in the estuary)
    - Excellent (national and regional) bus links
    - Reasonable rail links
    - Knock Airport is app. 40 minutes away
    - ASDL broadband enabled, with a MAN network in place
    - Five Chinese restaurants, at least two Indian restaurant with apparently another of both on the way*
    - An Eason outlet and a decent local bookshop across from it
    - A Dunnes and a Tesco with 10pm weekday closing – with the new, presumably 24-hour, Tesco apparently on the way, and until then a 24-hour convenience store
    - An Argos store about 30mins away in Castlebar
    - A large selection of pubs
    - GAA, soccer, rugby, basketball, golf, and athletics clubs
    - Go-carting, golf course, and driving range all in one on the outskirts of the town
    - (Pleasure) boat access to the river (and further) at the Quay
    - Six screen cinema, and besides the actual cinema there's the Ballina Film Club

* the sixth, I think, is just going to be a takeaway

…sorry, went over the 100 words mark. And again, I stress, as the question asked for good points this is positive points only with no objectivity used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

monument wrote:
    - An Argos store about 30mins away in Castlebar
    What's the point in saying that. That's Castlebar NOT Ballina. If you wanna say things like that then :

Next.....1 hour away in Sligo.
    Homebase....1 hour away in Sligo.
    Marks and Spencers... 2 hours away in Galway.

:rolleyes:

In relativity, 30mins away with a round journey of about an hour isn’t comparable to a round trip of four hours plus or even two hours.

I guess you’ll have to tell the people who use to travel to Galway for Argos, that having one closer isn’t a positive point. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I know a Sean Lynott out in Ballina, hes a taxi man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blanche

The busted jug you mean lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blanche

im from ballina i live in uk at the moment been here 12 years

love ballina to bits and get home as often as i can

just found this site tonight so i will drop in again soon

Advertisement