Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend me some reading!

Options
  • 09-02-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭

Im going away soon and I wont have a pc or tv so I'm going to need alot of books to keep me entertained. Heres some of my favourite books to give you an idea of what I like.

Lord Of The Rings - Tolkien
    I am Legend - Richard Matheson
    A Song of ice & fire - George rr martin
    Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
    Filth - Irvine Welsh
    American Pycho - Bret Easton Ellis
    The Beach -Alex Garland

Essentially im looking for compulsive page turning stuff!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Off the top of my head, you might like the following :

The Dark Fields
    Flowers for Algernon
    The Dice Man
    Enders Game

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

May I recommend Tom Robbins - Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. I love all of Robbins' books and have also enjoyed the majority of the books you've written in your list.

The main character in this book is full of contradictions and tends to have a facet that appeals to everyone. I think that this is the most accessible of all of Robbins' books (sometimes he can be a Little weird ;) ) but once you read this book I bet you go on to read more.

I've already converted 3 people to his writings, maybe I can turn you too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Page-turning? Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series. It's 7 books long (5 of which are full novel sized in their own right), which should keep you occupied for a while, and it's absolutely brilliant stuff. Even if you don't like his other books (and if so, why not?), it's not that similar.

Anything from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Hilarious
    Raymond E. Feist's Conclave of Shadows series (Talon of the Silver Hawk, King of Foxes, Exile's Return)
    Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books (Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul)
    Thomas Harris-Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal
    Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass)
    JRR Tolkien-The Silmarillion (Difficult read, but well worth it)
    Chuck Palahniuk-Fight Club

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

if you like unputdownable books i can't recommend this guy highly enough.
    http://www.matthewreilly.com/. they have most of his stuff on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

28064212 wrote:
    Page-turning? Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series. It's 7 books long (5 of which are full novel sized in their own right), which should keep you occupied for a while, and it's absolutely brilliant stuff. Even if you don't like his other books (and if so, why not?), it's not that similar.

Anything from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Hilarious
    Raymond E. Feist's Conclave of Shadows series (Talon of the Silver Hawk, King of Foxes, Exile's Return)
    Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books (Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul)
    Thomas Harris-Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal
    Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass)
    JRR Tolkien-The Silmarillion (Difficult read, but well worth it)
    Chuck Palahniuk-Fight Club

Should have mentioned Chuck Palahniuk, Ive read lulaby & choke. Ive read his dark materials also, great kids book. Ive also read a good few discworld, impressive although not really my thing.
    May I recommend Tom Robbins - Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates. I love all of Robbins' books and have also enjoyed the majority of the books you've written in your list.

The main character in this book is full of contradictions and tends to have a facet that appeals to everyone. I think that this is the most accessible of all of Robbins' books (sometimes he can be a Little weird ;) ) but once you read this book I bet you go on to read more.

I've already converted 3 people to his writings, maybe I can turn you too! :D

I'll take a look see, thanks.
    0utshined wrote:
    Off the top of my head, you might like the following :

The Dark Fields
    Flowers for Algernon
    The Dice Man
    Enders Game

Ive read the Dice man, I liked it although it repeated itself alot. Would have worked better as a short novel. I'll check out the others, cheers.

[edit] all the books you reccomended got great write ups on amazon. Im gonna order them now :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll second His Dark Materials, if you want to get your teeth into something as good as these two you loved...

Go for it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'll second His Dark Materials, if you want to get your teeth into something as good as these two you loved...

Go for it!
    What this person said, they are my top three series, fantastic. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A new series of books I've started reading is the dark fantasy, "Age of Misrule" by Mark Charbourn. Basic premise is the end of technology and the return of magic to the British Isles. I've finished book two, whilst it is excellent reading I don't expect a fairy-tale ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

"The Wheel of Time" books by Robert Jordan there's eleven of them but they are extremely good. Also "The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis, I don't know what he was on when he wrote that but it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Illuvatar wrote:
    "The Wheel of Time" books by Robert Jordan there's eleven of them but they are extremely good.

hmmmm...I dunno about that. I read up to book 9 (i think) and stopped because i thought he'd lost the plot back around book 7. The first few books were brill but after the slide it took and the feeling of wasted time and money i couldnt bring myself to continue with the series.

I give Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series my seal of approval though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I've read all of them so far. He's almost done. Book 11 came out in fall of 05 it was really good. That's the thing with books and everything else, some will like it some won't. But I consider them all a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

You could try Patrick Susskind's 'Perfume'

It's a dark comedy I suppose, the tale of a murderous youth in the France of yore. He doesn't have any personal odour, but posesses the finest sense of smell you could wish for.

It's pretty original, and a cracking read

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have bought The dark tower, the dark fields & flowers of algernon so far from this thread. The dark tower seems very good thus far, cheers everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

someone up above mentioned the conclave of shadows series by ray feist and i deninitely agree but probably better to start earlier in the line and read the riftwar saga first so as to know who the characters are. "magican" is the first book and its really really good. if you liked the lotr books then you'l freakin love feist books, they are like tolkien books without the boring parts.

Advertisement