Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week#2:"Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" by Arctic Monkeys

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

I got the album last weekend and I have listened to it once and some of the songs I like more than once.

I like it a lot. The last song is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    Remember the hype surrounding that band... what were they called again... ah, yes.
    The Darkness?

I don't remember The Darkness being particularly hyped; I Believe In a Thing Called Love was just a hit song. But I agree that they didn't follow up on their debut fast enough to sustain public interest. I thought Franz Ferdinand recently pulled that trick off well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

I don't remember The Darkness being particularly hyped; I Believe In a Thing Called Love was just a hit song. But I agree that they didn't follow up on their debut fast enough to sustain public interest. I thought Franz Ferdinand recently pulled that trick off well.
    I remember an awful lot of hype surrounding them - although admittedly, most of it was in the UK. You're right about Franz Ferdinand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

My greengrocer indroduced me to Arcade Fire. Who needs the NME?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 edladdlad

The thing about the hype surrounding the arctic monkeys is that it's not based on some empty media campaign. It grew from people actually listening to material and recommending it to others on myspace and the like. Surely the band deserve the attention they're getting, seeing as it's excitment over the music rather than the band itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    No they didn't, but that's because they did exactly what John2 said the Arctic Monkeys should. They released an EP (Whatever) only a couple of months after the album. The second album was then released another few months later. 2-3 years is a long time between albums, so unless the Arctic Monkeys release something later this year or very early next year (which I think they will), they'll be forgotten about.
    Remember the hype surrounding that band... what were they called again... ah, yes.
    The Darkness?
    I've read they've already written new songs, wether or not we'll hear them soon is debatable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

gets a thumbs up from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

edladdlad wrote:
    The thing about the hype surrounding the arctic monkeys is that it's not based on some empty media campaign. It grew from people actually listening to material and recommending it to others on myspace and the like. Surely the band deserve the attention they're getting, seeing as it's excitment over the music rather than the band itself.

What about the whole NME thing? There are plenty of artists out there who are unknown, whose music is free to download that are really really good. Even the proc site has a music section with a few bands that would find it easy to perk up your ears. I wouldn't dispute the fact that Arctic Monkeys are good enough to share with friends and enjoy, but titles such a the Best Band in Britian and The New Oasis and being responsible for the 5th best album and fastest selling ever is nothing but hype and the effect of hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Blue Peter

OK, time for my 2 cents...

I first came across these guys when they had their first single "Fake Tales of San Francisco" out, which for my money was one of the most lyrically and musically interesting things I'd heard in years - I'd like to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham - which also got in a few nasty digs at the current music scene. Nice!

I then downloaded a heap of tracks they had on their website, including crackers like No Romance - there's only music, so that there's new ring tones - and Still Take You Home.

Next, off to see them play in Whelan's to a couple of hundred excited punters and this sealed the deal. They can really play. Like Demons. By far and away the best live band I've seen in years. Yes, they're cocky, but that's because they know they're good.

For what its worth the lead singer reminds me of a young Paul Weller, he has the same ascerbic wit that you found on early Jam records, plus he has obvious talent as a singer and a guitarist. Whether or not the arctic monkeys are around for the long haul, the frontman will be with us in some shape or form for a very long time.

Add to that the fact they were the first artist to go to number 1 based on download sales, the amount of albums they're selling and their general popularity and you have to realise they are more than hype, they're a phenomenon.

If you can't see that then what do you know? Oh you know nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Bumped and stickied considering they've just won the Mercury prize

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Erm... isn't the idea of these kind of threads to discuss music that people might not have heard of?
    They were #1 all over the shop when this thread was created, and them getting a mercury award is hardly surprising...
    What's the point of making it a sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

To disscuss it.

tman wrote:
    Erm... isn't the idea of these kind of threads to discuss music that people might not have heard of?

No, it was to pick an album once a week to highlight and discuss. If it's music people might not have heard of then not many people are going to be able to discuss it are they?
    They were #1 all over the shop when this thread was created, and them getting a mercury award is hardly surprising...

Since when have sales made a difference. By that logic The Kaiser Chiefs should have won last year.
    What's the point of making it a sticky?
    iFight wrote:
    To disscuss it.

And disscuss it we shall ;)

I have kind of gone of it recently. I still occasionally listen to it, atleast one or two songs (mainly From Ritz to Rubble), but I haven't found myself listening the whole way through it in ages. What does everybody else (still) think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Was shíte then, is still shíte now.

I like the album but I certainly don't feel the urge to play it much these days.

John wrote:
    I like the album but I certainly don't feel the urge to play it much these days.
    What do you thin of their new song (leave when the lights come on)?

Haven't heard it yet. In fact, didn't know of its existence!

It's good enough, not any where near their best. The video is always on at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I have heard this album all the way through more than any other album this year and every time I hear It I die a little more inside very few bands have achived the level of hatred I have for the artic monkeys.

• Advertisement

If you're going to insult them, atleast spell their name right. But anyway, why listen to it so much if you don't like it?

I'm guessing someone else is playing it while he's in the room, I doubt he's doing it on purpose.

:d :d :d

Was listening to the album again earlier, I think I skipped a good five tracks, it has gotten very old altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I still listen to this album regularly, it's class. Great songs, great lyrics, I was delighted that the won the Mercury, not least coz I backed them.

Advertisement