Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.O.S> Waterford bashing again

Options
  • 22-01-2006 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

I see this rag is at it again . Martin Cullen splashed all over the paper over in Singapore , while Bertie and half the cabinet are out in India and theres not a word about it .
    While I am not a supporter of Martin Cullen it annoys me because every time they have anything about him they always knock Waterford as well , this week they mentioned two of his cronies and the fact that one of them is on the committee to make WIT into a university as if Cullen had some kind of influence on that decision .
    I wont be buying this rag again and anybody with an interest in the development of waterford should do the same

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

meldrew wrote:
    I see this rag is at it again . Martin Cullen splashed all over the paper over in Singapore , while Bertie and half the cabinet are out in India and theres not a word about it .
    While I am not a supporter of Martin Cullen it annoys me because every time they have anything about him they always knock Waterford as well , this week they mentioned two of his cronies and the fact that one of them is on the committee to make WIT into a university as if Cullen had some kind of influence on that decision .
    I wont be buying this rag again and anybody with an interest in the development of waterford should do the same

Fair play to ya. I still think there's a concerted campaign to isolate Waterford and those organising it don't think we have the bottle to fight back.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Has anybody alerted the gardi as to this atrocity?
    Actually thinking about this further I think we need to hire out the help of a crack team to maintain the integrity of Waterford and to make our voice heard.....ladies and gentlemen I give you the A-Team
    the_a_team_group_1_thumb.jpg

Lads in fairness, give this boring tripe a rest. Every week there is a new thread saying how the rest of the country, ohh excuse me...."the Pale" are ignoring and bad mouthing Waterford and this and that and that and so forth.......get over it like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

IOS always have something about Martin Cullen and what he is doing. Could some one plaese start a thread in the News/Media board so people can moan about how waterford is being ignored by the media :rolleyes:

Lads in fairness, give this boring tripe a rest. Every week there is a new thread saying how the rest of the country, ohh excuse me...."the Pale" are ignoring and bad mouthing Waterford and this and that and that and so forth.......get over it like!

Yep - sounds like a plan. That's what has the City in it's current predicament. Attitudes like "let's ignore it and it will go away/happen".

That's why we don't have University status for WIT.

That's why the motorway to Dublin is sidelined.

That's why the airport is being ignored for a runway extension.

That's why we got piecemeal Radiotherapy.

Shout it from the rooftops Rollo - they might hear us in the Pale, as you put it, then. We need to organise and get four decent TDs who are unafraid to buck the party line. We might then be recognised for what we are - the oldest City in the country.

We deserve to be treated equally, and fairly, like the other four.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think its easy for Cork based people to say that Waterford people are whining. Can I ask the Cork lads and lassies would they stay quiet if they had no radiotherapy, a 1950's road to Dublin, 1 runway that only took propellar planes.., and no University.. etc.

If it was the other way around, Id be agreeing that there was indeed a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

meldrew wrote:

The dig at the university and connecting it with Cullen is genius. They are trying to kill the university the way they killed Cullen.

A University for Waterford will become a byword for pride lobbying, regional corruption and ministerial abuse of power before this is done. Regardless of what anyone says or does -- you heard it here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mail on Sunday er Ireland on Sunday is a rag and everyone knows it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

mike65 wrote:
    Mail on Sunday er Ireland on Sunday is a rag and everyone knows it.

Mike.

IoS definitely has a vendetta against Martin Cullen. Must have upset one of the bigwigs there:D

Trotter wrote:
    I think its easy for Cork based people to say that Waterford people are whining. Can I ask the Cork lads and lassies would they stay quiet if they had no radiotherapy, a 1950's road to Dublin, 1 runway that only took propellar planes.., and no University.. etc.

Exactly. :mad:

Oh except for the bit about the 1950s road..more like 1850s in parts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭googie

merlante wrote:
    The dig at the university and connecting it with Cullen is genius. They are trying to kill the university the way they killed Cullen.

A University for Waterford will become a byword for pride lobbying, regional corruption and ministerial abuse of power before this is done. Regardless of what anyone says or does -- you heard it here first.

Nobody killed Cullen, he's just not a good minister. People in Waterford shouldn't be so defensive of criticism of him when it is desrved, he represents you and if he doesn't do that well then he deserves to be criticised

• Advertisement

googie wrote:
    Nobody killed Cullen, he's just not a good minister. People in Waterford shouldn't be so defensive of criticism of him when it is desrved, he represents you and if he doesn't do that well then he deserves to be criticised

I never said he was a good minister. Talent wise, he is an average to above average minister, despite e-voting, which in any case was 50% Dempsey's fault. There are some quite poor ministers with good reputations, such as Noel Dempsey, and there are some non-descript ministers that you have probably never heard of. Objectively, Cullen is not, say, in the bottom 3/4 in the cabinet, talent-wise, workrate-wise or in terms of value for money.

But if ever a man was targetting by the media it was Cullen. They have even destroyed the careers of some of the people surrounding him. If you were watching the media you would see this, as it's fairly straight forward.

This is not me defending the man, this is just simply what is happening.

googie wrote:

No problems with criticising the man's political mistakes, but there are plenty of other politicans out there worthy of criticism but it seems whenever Cullen so much as farts it gets a 3 page story in the IoS. I don't know why I'm even bothered about that newspaper, it's not even fit to be used as bog roll. :mad:

Trotter wrote:

Indeed....weren't they the ones who kicked up ****e when WRTC was being upgraded to WIT......resulting in ALL RTCs being upgraded to ITs and thus eroding any benefit for Waterford?:mad:

Freddie59 wrote:
    Indeed....weren't they the ones who kicked up ****e when WRTC was being upgraded to WIT......resulting in ALL RTCs being upgraded to ITs and thus eroding any benefit for Waterford?:mad:

They weren't alone, but yes. Let it never be forgotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Matt Cooper asked Cullen on the radio today about the article and he shrugged it off , it seems like he's resigned to it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Freddie59 wrote:
    And it was some skank of a Labour Minister For Education who did it. Kind of means that I don't consider Labour worth a vote in Waterford any more.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Cooper came at Cullen like a man possessed by the vendetta fairies. I thought Cullen came out of it pretty well, calm, composed and intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Lads, don't listen to criticism from Corkmen, if Cork got half as much grief as Waterford (or even worse, my own native Limerick) we'd be deaf from their crying. Sure they even tried to blame Dublin that they couldn't organise Cork City of Culture themselves. Leave them be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

if Cork got half as much grief as Waterford (or even worse, my own native Limerick) we'd be deaf from their crying.

And thats exactly why they've got on well! Waterford people complain internally and then vote for the fella who their father and grandfather supported. Why complain to Billy McCarthy? Thats internal complaining.

Where are the really vocal Waterford TDs ?? (Cullen excluded, he's too busy to think of his constituency).

Some of the lads I know asked me to name all of our TDs last week, and it took me a few mins to remember! Why? Because they're living it up, nice and cosy, looking after the handy stuff.

Rant over!

Yeah but would you want to be like a Corkman? Personally I'd rather drag myself over razors and broken glass.... (which is funny, because if I did drag myself over razors and broken glass I'd probably look like a Corkman)

• Advertisement

Lads, don't listen to criticism from Corkmen, if Cork got half as much grief as Waterford (or even worse, my own native Limerick) we'd be deaf from their crying. Sure they even tried to blame Dublin that they couldn't organise Cork City of Culture themselves. Leave them be.

Yeah - Corkmen! The rebel County my b******s. They had one real rebel and they shot him in an ambush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Freddie59 wrote:
    Yeah - Corkmen! The rebel County my b******s. They had one real rebel and they shot him in an ambush.
    Well said. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Trotter wrote:
    then vote for the fella who their father and grandfather supported

that is why politics in this country is imo a joke

Yeah but would you want to be like a Corkman? Personally I'd rather drag myself over razors and broken glass.... (which is funny, because if I did drag myself over razors and broken glass I'd probably look like a Corkman)

I'll fight you, i'll win, you'll cry and then i'll play with your mother. How about that?

Typical Corkman, using violence as a first resort, naturally being from Cork you can't outsmart someone, so you hope you can at least regain some pride by threatening someone over the internet, quality.

Typical Corkman, using violence as a first resort, naturally being from Cork you can't outsmart someone, so you hope you can at least regain some pride by threatening someone over the internet, quality.

merlante wrote:
    They weren't alone, but yes. Let it never be forgotten!

NEVER!! :mad: :mad:

listen you troll, i never said a bad word about waterford people or waterford in this thread. Your the one making a idiotic remark about cork people in general which makes no sense to me. If you have a problem go talk to a counselor. I'm sure he could give you all the love and tenderness that you have been deprived off.

listen you troll, i never said a bad word about waterford people or waterford in this thread. Your the one making a idiotic remark about cork people in general which makes no sense to me. If you have a problem go talk to a counselor. I'm sure he could give you all the love and tenderness that you have been deprived off.

I was actually responding to something trotter said, I was joking (look up meaning of joke on dictionary.com) but thanks anyway. Not a bit sensitive are we? Perhaps you should call in that "A-team" you mentioned to sort me out?

I've nothing against Cork, Cork people, or you personally, I don't see how you could take what I said seriously, but evidentally you managed to.

• Advertisement

ohh right. I don't know i could have picked up your posts in the wrong way so. Listen, i have a pajama party this Wednesday night with some of my lesbain model friends. Your more than welcome to tag along since all is forgotten now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement