Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT on bio-fuel and electric cars?

Options
  • 18-01-2006 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering is there VRT on these types of cars?

Are there any tax incentives or lack of tax on such cars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

Discussed here already :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054866489

Dont know anything about the status of electric cars.
    What do you define as an electric car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

It is not quite the same. THat was specific to a model that can also use petrol do it is dual fuel not electric of a pure bio-fuel car.

When I said electric I meant electric motor a bit like an old milk float.

Rather than upgrade my car I would gladlly buy cheap enviromental car for most of my driving and a keep the old car for the bigger journeys.

This was what I was thinking about it comes with an electric motor or diseal.

http://www.townlife.it/eng/english.htm

Is motor tax all motors or only petrol and diseal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

As far as I know the irish car tax system is only based on Cubic capicity on Diesel and petrol motors. I have not heard of anyone running a electric car here - but there are a few electric bike about which are exempt from tax and insurance as long as they are under a certain power output.
    that website you posted is not very clear - are these cars being used on outer European countries at the moment ? and it would be interesting to see the running cost on charging them up.
    Also from a green perspective remember where the electricity that you charge up you car comes from - burning fossile fuels.
    I think the ethanol way could be very interesting in this regard - while admitting that I dont know a whole lot about whats involved in mass production of ethanol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

They are all over Rome a bit like the Smart car. I thought they looked nice and I wanted to see what it would be like to import one. Even with a diesel engine they could prove viable as a primary car for most of my travelling. Some of them were electric and some diesel.
    I would look into more detail on the power usage if I was sure but if there is vrt and motor tax on top I know it would not be worth it. It would be interesting to know what are the rules about parking such a vehical too. You might be able to park it on the path. But look at this way a car with no tax from another EU country might certainly be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

With effect from 1 January 2008 to 31 December 2010, series production electric vehicles and electric motor-cycles are exempt from VRT.

Source:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/change-tax-base.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm not sure it was worth digging up a 3.5-year-old thread just for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement