Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oops.. Didn't see that Luas track there

Options
  • 17-01-2006 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

Just passed this on the red Luas line at Bluebell. Guard said your man was hammered. Nobody was hurt but if he was hammered enough to this, just think what could have happened

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

No hubcaps guess he just failed his NCT too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It's an old bluebird on uk plates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Think of the positive aspects of this photo.
    ie it shows that a ramp ahead (in this case a wire) of a solid pole can and did prevent what could have been a head on between the pole and car.... how many poles etc along roads, highways have no such car deflector?.

The car would flip off the wire much easier though? Land on some unsuspecing pedestrian or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Onkle51 wrote:
    The car would flip off the wire much easier though? Land on some unsuspecing pedestrian or something

But this is the motors board, damn pedestrians shouldn't be in our way in the first place!;)

That bloke must have been seriously drunk, I wonder was he a young male driver like myself or a drunk oul lad like GV Wright? He's probably into car modding and had his alloys off for that one day causing him to crash.:rolleyes:

Reminds me of the other night I saw a Maxima badly mashed up and a dead cow lying about 20 yards before it. Bizarre to see that sort of thing but very serious damage, most likely a write-off. The lads in the car must have gotten some shock. It was on the N2 from Ashbournse as well, busy road 24 hours a day.

• Advertisement

Onkle51 wrote:
    What might pedestrians be doing on a highway/freeway, Naas Dual Cariageway, M50, etc. with cars whizzing by at 50+mph.... picking mushrooms, Phsyco ones perhaps.
    Don't walk, cross, stop, play, change a tyre on highways unless you have a death wish.

Plus anyone that drunk, etc, Is s/he actually going to be able to determine the difference between an unsuspecting ped or pole and even if s/he did, do you think they are going to make the "right" decision, if by "right" decision you may hope, strike the pole and kill self, as opposed to strike the soft objects, ie your unsuspecting peds., and save self.
    Right..... gimme me a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

at least he found a parking space :cool:

AMurphy wrote:
    What might pedestrians be doing on a highway/freeway, Naas Dual Cariageway, M50, etc. with cars whizzing by at 50+mph.... picking mushrooms, Phsyco ones perhaps.
    Don't walk, cross, stop, play, change a tyre on highways unless you have a death wish.

Plus anyone that drunk, etc, Is s/he actually going to be able to determine the difference between an unsuspecting ped or pole and even if s/he did, do you think they are going to make the "right" decision, if by "right" decision you may hope, strike the pole and kill self, as opposed to strike the soft objects, ie your unsuspecting peds., and save self.
    Right..... gimme me a break.

That was kinda my point. The wire would only stop the sap in the car killing themselves. So why put the wire there when it makes it even a little bit more dangerous for the peds?

This actually happened just outside a housing estate not a motorway

Think you kinda missed the point there, as I'm suggesting given the option between the Pole, (hard landing), and the pedestrians, (soft landing). the driver will choose to hit the peds, not the pole... unless the pole is surrounded by something (other than peds) that also provide a soft landing, eg wires, bollards, sand/water filled drums, vegitation, etc.
    And what would peds be doing in the middle of the tracks, any more than the morotists. Seems a bit like a battle among idiots, the prize being who's the greater idiot.

No need to take it so serious amurphy. There's actually a pedestrian crossing right where the crash happened. If you knew the area you'd probably see the point I'm making. Didn't really appreciate your 'idiot' comment either. There's no need for that kind of thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AMurphy wrote:
    Think of the positive aspects of this photo.
    ie it shows that a ramp ahead (in this case a wire) of a solid pole can and did prevent what could have been a head on between the pole and car.... how many poles etc along roads, highways have no such car deflector?.

That's only a stay wire for the pole that's effectively located on a rail way line (for want of a better description). It has no impact absorbing properties and it would be impractical to install these on a highway.

Onkle51 wrote:
    ....There's actually a pedestrian crossing right where the crash happened.
    .... Didn't really appreciate your 'idiot' comment either. ...

Maybe, not obvious in the photo.

"Idiots", not you.... but peds and motorists on railway lines, in areas not specifically designed for peds or motorists. As I indicated, I cannot see specific a ped or motorist area in the area photographed.

BrianD wrote:
    That's only a stay wire for the pole that's effectively located on a rail way line (for want of a better description). It has no impact absorbing properties and it would be impractical to install these on a highway.

Yes I know, but it demonstrates another possible use for sloped approaches rather than the traditional 90Deg. to poles and such objects.
    I have seen railway rails cut and laid at an angle against objects in low speed zones, for this purpose.
    And sand tubs and buffer or compression barricades ARE used on highways around pilliars and posts.

The photo isn't great. Just at the bottom of the photo is a road and slso where the ambulance and fire engine are parked is aroad. I was standind on the footpath when i took the photo. See it's not a railway line it's a tram line

Onkle51 wrote:
    ....I was standind on the footpath when i took the photo. See it's not a railway line it's a tram line

I guess I'll get to see it the next time I'm over that side.

Advertisement