Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Catholicism

Options
  • 11-01-2006 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭

Not sure if it should be here or in Christianity but anyway.

I just saw this on that hateboard site, and tbh its pretty much my viws on the subject. I see a lot of anti catholicism on this site here and there, and where it doesnt bother me and people are well entitled to their opinions, i think this is the other side of the coin.
    Anti-Catholic in Ireland
    Yes,I know,I know all the mistakes the church made,but I am a priest living in ireland and I resent the fact that i have to disgusie myself walking the streets.It's supposed t o be wonderful, pluralist ,multi-cultural,all embracing mult i-cultural Ireland,but open your mouth to say you're st ill Catholic and you'll hear the most ridiculous hate a nd venom.I am all for tolerance and I have no problem with a nyone not wanting to follow my path or being disillusioned b ut at least learn some respect and manners and have a more c onvincing argument than'the church is responsible for e verything that was wrong in this country.....'I was cal led a paedophile by morons last year and when I saw a squad car I went over to complain and the cop said'it's an occupational hazzard,get used to it'If I was from an y other ethnic group I would have been given tea and sympath y and brought to the station and read my rights.If I am accu sed as a Catholic Priest I am guilty until proven innocent,I cannot buy most newspapers because they insult my religion and most of Irish TV is the same.thanks for letting me get t his off my chest!

This is a (idiotic) response and the OPs response to it, which is pretty relevent too
    some eejit wrote:
    NO SYMPATHY
    GET REAL FR TED. IF UR NOT HAPPY WHY DONT YOU ASK YOUR GOD T O FIX IT. THE ABUSE THAT YOUR ORGANISATION COMMITTED, HAS UN DONE ALL OF THE GOOD THAT YE EVER DID. DONT BE EXPOSING YOUR SELF IN HERE IT WILL ONLY G LEAD TO ME BEING A LOT MORE AGRE SSIVE THE NEXT TIME
    10.01.06 22:55 Response to No Sympathy
    Dear No Sympathy,your attitude is exactly the one I was writ ing about.I'm not asking you to believe in my God or my religion but i'm merely asking that you show respect a nd tolerence.You'd be surprised too how devestated I a m myself by the abuse saga,but i'm not giving up my fai th over it and binning my heritage because of a few bad appl es in the drum.I am merely doing what I believe I was asked to do and you'd also be surprised that i'm just an ordinary lad form an ordinary background and not some mythi cal clerical monster that you have fabricated.I think too th at as well as the church hanging it's head in shame we also need to ask the bigger questions.Why is Paedophilia suc h a problem in the English Speaking World?Why are we avoidin g the bigeer question of the sin of Paedophilia in all walks of life?It's avoiding the issue to make it a problem o f priests.P.S-I really enjoyed Father Ted,maybe you' dw ant to laugh a little more at yourself too......take care an d I wish you well and also a soothing of your anger.
    No Sympathy,you said why don't I ask my God to fix it.. .............1.He's your God too. 2.He's not a qui ck fix God,he requires a little openness,time and patience a nd makng sure people like you don't continue to have th e negative experiences of his messengers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Racism and prejudice is wrong.

Still, as for anti-Catholicism (instead of ignorant bullying or whatever), *if* I was a practising Christian and believed all that stuff, I'd be some kind of Protestant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Maybe if someone had pointed out the arrogance of the comment by 'some priest' that "1.He's your God too.", he might understand why people resent the Church.

To be honest, I'd have little sympathy for any Catholic whining about persecution in this country. It was their own behaviour regarding the protection and cover up operations for the paedophiles in their organisation that has people so outraged about it. They systematic manner in which they covered up for the sexual and physical abuse members of their orders carried out in Irish schools, borstals, parishes and the infamous laundries has (understandably imho) caused a backlash.

Add that to the Church's inapropriate control over the education system in this country (which frankly make a mockery of the seperation of church and state); their fundamentalism throughout most of the 20th century in Ireland and the fact that they still lay claim to a ridiculous amount of the population as followers when this bears little or no resemblence to reality and it's easy understand the backlash.

As a fairly "devout" Agnostic, I'd still be on their books as a baptised and confirmed Catholic and I'm FAR from alone. I believe that in a country with an education system as good as ours (for all it's faults it's one of the best in the world), you will always see a move away from jingoistic religions towards science and logic. Many of our generation have had Catholicism forced upon them by their parents, teachers and extended family while having no interest or belief in it themselves. Try to force something on any intelligent person for long enough and they'll grow to resent you for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To be honest, I'd have little sympathy for any Catholic whining about persecution in this country. It was their own behaviour regarding the protection and cover up operations for the paedophiles in their organisation that has people so outraged about it.

"their own" - so every Catholic is to blame for the actions of a few? Isn't that well, bigotry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

BuffyBot wrote:
    "their own" - so every Catholic is to blame for the actions of a few? Isn't that well, bigotry?

Yes it's a shame that a couple of thousand child molesters have ruined things for the other 3 or 4 guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Have to say, I felt sympathy for the priest up until he said "he's your God too" - how presumptuous and arrogant. It undid all the good of his earlier words. Also, I think he's being a bit simplistic describing the situation in the Catholic as " a few rotten apples". What does he take us for - what people are really angry about is the systematic and widespread cover-up throughout the Church. After the Ferns report there was a call for the catholic church to withdraw all involvment in education and activities with young people (which I heartily endorse). This just shows how angry people are - it is not a case of a few rotten apples, people are not that stupid. The priest then goes on to say we should we discussing paedophilia in general, not the horrific abuse and cover-ups that took place in the Church by clergy that were esteemed and trusted by the population. Well sorry but they are two different discussions, and while I agree that we should all respect each others beliefs, I think that this priest is sneakily trying to defend the catholic church's behavoiur to a certain extent, and for that reason I would have no sympathy for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

First up, the kind of abuse received by an individual in the street is well out of order. Issues with an establishment - and thats what they are - should be taken up with the hierarchy. The priest is right in that he shouldn't have to give up his vocation because people in his organisation acted against the tenets that he stands for.

The catholic church does good and bad work in this country, of course bad news sells more papers. But people are also mindful of catholic policies on contraception in Africa, or on gays which don't do them any favours amongst the "enlightened" newer generations.
    ColHol wrote:
    I see a lot of anti catholicism on this site here and there
    There's anti-everything here is you look hard enough. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

ColHol wrote:
    Not sure if it should be here or in Christianity but anyway.

I just saw this on that hateboard site, and tbh its pretty much my viws on the subject.

The man published his views on a site actually called "hateboard" and was taken aback when he recieved a strongly worded response. :rolleyes:
    I see a lot of anti catholicism on this site here and there, and where it doesnt bother me and people are well entitled to their opinions, i think this is the other side of the coin.

I think the inference of the above is that scratch anyone with a grievance with catholicism and you'll see the guy you quoted underneath. I'm no fan of the catholic church, but I can couch my language and name specific and legimate grievances, as can groups like One in Four.

Yes it's a shame that a couple of thousand child molesters have ruined things for the other 3 or 4 guys

Nice figures, got anything to back it up or is it just another pointless statement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Sleepy wrote:
    It was their own behaviour regarding the protection and cover up operations for the paedophiles in their organisation that has people so outraged about it.
    On the one hand, the vast majority of priests wouldn't have known about this stuff.
    On the other hand, it appears that all the bishops did and they all helped to keep these paedophiles moving around from parish to parish. They took a conscious decision to risk (allow) more children to be abused so long as it was kept quiet.
    Any organization thats rotten at the top is rotten all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Abuse on the street isn't really acceptable. Criticism of the church in the papers is healthy and a sign that we're moving on from our rather unpleasant past. The church has and continues to do, when it comes to it, many bad things. I can't imagine why he expects respect from newspapers; respect generally has to be earned.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote:
    Any organization thats rotten at the top is rotten all the way down.
    That's not true (IMO).

If your boss was skimming from payroll or such like, are you culpable as he is?
    Look at the Enron scandal in the US. The victims there were, amongst others, the employees whose pensions were wiped out.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Every Catholic is a member of the organisation voluntarily (excluding children who don't know any better). As such, they shoulder a certain amount of responsibility towards the running of that organisation. If they don't like the way it's being run, they shouldn't be involved with the organisation unless they're making serious attempts to change it.

Though, let's be clear about this, there are very few Catholics left in Ireland. A large amount of Christians that mistakenly refer to themselves as Catholic for socio-cultural reasons, sure, but not a lot of genuine Catholics.

While I agree that no-one deserves to be abused on the street, I think the Catholic community are incredibly naieve if they expect their leaders to be automatically respected. For many of us that don't believe in supreme beings and virgin births, these people are just gullible fools who are wasting their lives, why would we respect that? Add the church's actions in Ireland over the past century to this and it's easy to see why they're held in such contempt. Personally, I'll hold them in contempt and avoid them, live and let live but I will not afford them any more courtesy when I am confronted by them than I would any other stranger on the street.

Well no, to me it seems like "their behavior" implied their past behaviour - rather than current behaviour. I think you would find very few right now who would agree with how the Church handled things - however, how could do something in the past about activities they knew nothing about?
    it was their own behaviour regarding the protection and cover up operations for the paedophiles in their organisation that has people so outraged about it.

Your own sentence seems to imply that your ordinary, average Catholic was involved in some kind of cover-up..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sleepy wrote:
    Every Catholic is a member of the organisation voluntarily (excluding children who don't know any better). As such, they shoulder a certain amount of responsibility towards the running of that organisation. If they don't like the way it's being run, they shouldn't be involved with the organisation unless they're making serious attempts to change it.
    I dont agree with this, the idea that if there are a few bad apples in your organisation you should just bail out, and lets face it, it was a minor percentage in the grand scheme of things, but the few that were bad were downright evil. The majority of Catholics, i would *think*, would be of the opinion that either:
    A) The past is out in the open, all the cards are on the table and they can work through it and look to a brighter future. Or else
    B) They are tied to that organisation because of their beliefs, and they will stick with it for that reason.

You will find very few ordinary decent catholics defending the church, that doesnt mean they should abandon it altogether
    Sleepy wrote:
    For many of us that don't believe in supreme beings and virgin births, these people are just gullible fools who are wasting their lives, why would we respect that?
    Well its only fair to respect other peoples beliefs right? Fair enough, you mightnt like the idea that this priest believes his God is your God, but at the same time its what he believes. I know ya may think its may be a v nice and convenient fantasy, but i think it should be respected all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

ColHol wrote:
    A) The past is out in the open, all the cards are on the table and they can work through it and look to a brighter future.

But it's not, and this is the general reaction of church supports to anyone who crititises the church "the mistakes re child abuse are in the past, lets look to the future"

This defense ignores for example ratzinger's role in covering up abuse, John Paul role (a man you're changing the rules on how quickly you qualify for sainthood) in the same cover up. The church and our States weaseling out of the fiscal responsibility to pay the victims for this abuse, a bill that you and I will share, despite the enormous wealth of the abuse.

Anyone who tries to defend the church invariablly is unwilling to look at, or discuss, the depth of the cover up, the lengths the church went to hide paedophiles the timescale, and how simply put the church while it has apologised for the paedophiles, it has never bothered to apologise for the duration and length of the cover up.

The simple question is "should an organisation who's reaction to the heninous crimes commited by its members, was to hid and conceal these crimes, rather than expose them, really have any business lecturing people on morality?"
    Or else
    B) They are tied to that organisation because of their beliefs, and they will stick with it for that reason.

You will find very few ordinary decent catholics defending the church, that doesnt mean they should abandon it altogether

Why not? The church is a hierarchal organisation who believe that they are the spokespersons of god, if you cannot defend their actions, how can you stay with such a church?
    Well its only fair to respect other peoples beliefs right? Fair enough, you mightnt like the idea that this priest believes his God is your God, but at the same time its what he believes. I know ya may think its may be a v nice and convenient fantasy, but i think it should be respected all the same.

Thats nice and all, but to force your beliefs onto another to grandly announce that whatever I believe is irrelevant because "your god" is my god is just down right patronising. Its the philosphical equivlent of finishing an argument with, "well you can believe what you want, in the end of the day I'm right". Its rude, its like giving forgiveness when it's not asked for, it is a form of ramming your believes down anothers throat.

That's not true (IMO).

If your boss was skimming from payroll or such like, are you culpable as he is?
    Look at the Enron scandal in the US. The victims there were, amongst others, the employees whose pensions were wiped out.
    In Enron, they were employees.
    Priests aren't employees of the church, they're members. I'm not saying they're responsible for what the bishops did, quite the opposite.

My point is that all priests know about it now, and they still remain priests. From following the cases in the news, nearly every bishop in the country knew about this abuse and molestation and at best did nothing, at worst made the decision to follow the Church's policy of cover-up.

How can you respect a priest who continues to serve under these people?

Respect has to be earned, and although I'm an athiest myself, I respect anyone with the integrity and the balls to stand up for what is right. We haven't seen that from the common priest. They could stand with the people of the country and call for the responsible bishops to be removed from office, but not one has done that. They just (figuratively) mutter 'I didn't know nothin' and its not my fault'.

Gurgle wrote:
    How can you respect a priest who continues to serve under these people?
    Your every-day priest works for God, not bishops, and they are part of a faith not an organisation, even the heirarchical structure is similar.

It's not a golf club. They can't just hand in their membership card and join another one. Priests who knew nothing about the abuse have a choice of speaking out and risk being excommunicated, or fulfilling their vocation and working to repair the image of their tarnished faith.

You or I may not care for the RC church but I would not hold it against any member of that church that still feels it had good to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

I do feel very sorry for the ordinary person whose faith and religious convictions must have taken a battering in recent years. People must feel very let down by the Catholic church - but they don't have an alternative and its not that simple to just turn the beliefs and practices of a lifetime on their heads, and change overnight.
    I still feel that the church itself though is getting away very lightly. The abuse and cover up is not "in the past" - the effects of both are still being felt by many thoiugthout the country. The church is an extremley wealthy organsiation, but when confronted with having to pay compensation to the victims of the abuse their reaction was not wholeheartedly admissive in any way. they did a deaql with the governemnt which means their liability is limited now to an agreed amount. the taxpayers picks up the remainder. This is wrong. I also think it is wrong that they continue to have a role in education and activities with young people.
    Again, while no-one should be abused for their religious beliefs, it is hard to feel sorry for a priest whose attitude is that "it was all just a few rotten apples, and sure anyway we shoudl be discussing the problem of paedophilia in general". To top that he then says his God is your God too...making a total lie of the statement that hje does not want to impose his beliefs on anyone.

Priests who knew nothing about the abuse have a choice of speaking out and risk being excommunicated,
    They don't excommunicate the paedophiles, would they really excommunicate a priest who said it was wrong to help the paedophiles?
    You or I may not care for the RC church but I would not hold it against any member of that church that still feels it had good to offer.
    Fair enough, but if you're going to walk down the street in the uniform of the church, you can expect to be treated as a representative of the church. Most of us don't feel the need to give abuse to every priest we meet, but then most of us didn't have our childhoods destroyed by someone in the same uniform.

I know this comparison is a stretch, but the vast majority of WW2 German soldiers were no more evil than their English counterparts. I can't quite picture the veterans marching through Jerusalem in uniform though.

ColHol wrote:
    I'm not sure that it is something we should do tbh. Would you respect the rights of a Satanist to practice their religion? The rights of a white-supremacist to espouse his vitriolic racism? The latter-day saint's rights to practice their religion in Waco?

When looked at logically these religions/belief systems are no different from Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc. I don't think anyone has the right to expect their beliefs to be respected.

I will tolerate any belief system that doesn't cause harm for others (though I reserve the right to dismiss it as nonsense). I believe this can reasonably be expected of all of us. Asking me to respect beliefs I consider ridiculous, however, is a huge leap from asking me to put up with them. Particularly if the organisation representing that belief system has a history of acting in sickening fashions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I guess i just separate the belief system from the evil people in the organisation. I also think that i should have said tolerate instead of respect.

In the case of the satanists, I would respect their beliefs, its just some of the practices which i wouldnt tolerate/consider to be evil. Along the same lines, i would respect the ordinary catholic, and wouldnt feel they shouldnt shoulder the weight of the evil members of their organisation, or let them get in the way of continuing doing the good work or practising their religion.

(OT Fair dues on givin up the fags! Ya have a bit more willpower than i do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

what I think is kind of funny is that you can get away with abusing catholics or ridiculing their beliefs, but not any another ethnic/social/religious

Same point was made about christianity in general and Jerry Springer the opera in britain last year.

Its kinda a double standard. I know we can point to our history as a catholic country and say we're poking fun at our selves, but we're not. And what somepriest described wasnt just an attack/ridicule of catholicism, it was a very abusive personal attack.

Aye Kaptain Redeye, been thinking about that one a bit lately. In the world in which we live, it's considered a horrific thing to be accused of anti-semitism because people who were against the Jewish religion in the past did unspeakable things. Personally, I'm anti-semitic just as much as i'm anti-catholic, anti-muslim, or anti-any-other-religion.

Being against a religious belief, however does not mean that I'm going to treat the follower(s) of that belief in a cruel fashion. I can scorn their beliefs while getting on well with them on all other fronts (hell, I think every girl I've dated has followed some form of christianity or other).

I can seperate the belief from the person (let's face it, I'd have a hard time in this country if I couldn't).

[thanks Colhol, going quite well this time but we'll see how it lasts! :)]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

BuffyBot wrote:
    Nice figures, got anything to back it up or is it just another pointless statement?

No it was an attempt at humour.

From my memory of the priests at the school I went to, roughly 50% were a bit creepy and sinister, a bit too touchy-feely or just plain sadistic. These guys enjoyed their work, they were always very happy. The other half were usually quite decent men who I seem to remember were a bit depressed most of the time.

Gurgle wrote:
    I know this comparison is a stretch, but the vast majority of WW2 German soldiers were no more evil than their English counterparts. I can't quite picture the veterans marching through Jerusalem in uniform though.
    All that says is that not every level in an organisation is guilty, but there is always someone, somewhere that will hold you accountable regardless.
    Sleepy wrote:
    I will tolerate any belief system that doesn't cause harm for others (though I reserve the right to dismiss it as nonsense). I believe this can reasonably be expected of all of us. Asking me to respect beliefs I consider ridiculous, however, is a huge leap from asking me to put up with them. Particularly if the organisation representing that belief system has a history of acting in sickening fashions.
    You do realise that the RC belief system has nothing to do with paedophelia? The travesties that occured were allowed to occur by certain people in an organisation that claims to uphold that belief system - but patently don't. They were in no way condoned by that system. That is why is unfair to suggest to those who are true to that belief system, that they should reject it. The guilty clerics should be on trial not the belief.

Compare this to the beliefs of a white-supremacist. Their belief system clearly condones racism and bigotry.

It could be equally argued from their core religious text that the RC belief system condones bigotry towards homosexuals, slavery, slaughter on the basis of religious beliefs etc. etc. etc.

I don't by any means argue that the Roman Catholic religion condones paedophelia (unless I was to twist the "Jesus said to love the little children" line in a rather grotesque way). The Roman Catholic Church, however, gave tacit permission to the abusers in the typically arrogant manner in which they dealt with their members' crimes.

Personally, I believe that any logical Catholic would have (and arguably morally should have) switched to one of the other Christian faiths. Given the few differences between the organisations and the 'pick and mix' nature of modern "Catholics", I'd imagine most of them would actually better suited to one of the "Protestant" faiths. Though, obviously, as someone who disagrees with religion in general I'd prefer that they just simply admit to themselves that their belief in a deity is unfounded and embrace sensible agnosticism.

I believe that any logical Catholic would have (and arguably morally should have) switched to one of the other Christian faiths.

I'm sure some have, but as with any faith many would (or could not) bring themselves to do that. There is a reason why there is different Christian faiths, is the vast differences in doctrine. Faith for quite a few people isn't "pick and mix" and therefore they're hardly likely to go "ah sure, that Church will do be better" because they simply do not believe the same things.

Can you direct me to a single sane "Catholic" that believes in transubstantiation?

We already live in a world where divorce is normal, women are no longer second class citizens, gay people are free (or at least more free) to practice their sexualities, birth control isn't the devil's own plaything and we don't burn people at the stake for not believing in our particular take on faith. Most "Catholics", or at least those that live by the teachings of Christ believe that these are good things. Their religion, however still preaches these things.

If most Irish "Catholics" were to examine their faith with any degree of logic, they'd see that their beliefs matched the Protestant faith far closer than their "own" church. Unfortunately, since secularism in this state has most "Catholics" in Ireland convinced that Protestants are evil incarnate their ignorance prevents them from discovering this.

You do realise that the RC belief system has nothing to do with paedophelia?
    I'm pretty sure that Christianity, Catholicism and the bible are all totally unambiguous on paedophilia, i.e. its not allowed.

The problem is that the organization of the church, and the trusted position of a priest as a representative of the church was used for decades (if not centuries) by paedophiles to gain access to children and protection from consequences.

Within the hierarchy of the RC church, the church's reputation is more important than the laws of God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sleepy wrote:
    Can you direct me to a single sane "Catholic" that believes in transubstantiation?

If most Irish "Catholics" were to examine their faith with any degree of logic, they'd see that their beliefs matched the Protestant faith far closer than their "own" church. Unfortunately, since secularism in this state has most "Catholics" in Ireland convinced that Protestants are evil incarnate their ignorance prevents them from discovering this.

Wow I never heard that before, interesting.

I still wouldn't wish I was ex-Protestant

that site is really getting some traffic from Ireland these days, Who runs it?

It's not a bullying website anyway, it has love choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement