Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A guide to the Scholarship Examinations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Aye. Tis now under the Diocese of Social and Human Sciences, under Archbishop Paul Walsh.

But I'd say he was referring to BESS-subjects, as opposed to the faculty itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

EduMyth wrote:
    To elaborate more, the Senior Lecturer (main college guy in charge of academic activities)
    This fella. Who managed to hide the domain registration details from whois attempts :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I don't think this has been mentioned. I presume its possible to attempt the schols exams more than once? Like if you don't get it in 2nd year can you go for it again in 3rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

David19 wrote:
    I don't think this has been mentioned. I presume its possible to attempt the schols exams more than once? Like if you don't get it in 2nd year can you go for it again in 3rd?
    Yep I know someone who did that and got it on his second attempt, also got a 1st in JS too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Aye. Tis now under the Diocese of Social and Human Sciences, under Archbishop Paul Walsh.

But I'd say he was referring to BESS-subjects, as opposed to the faculty itself.

yes, i was giving random(ish) examples of how foundation scholarships are spread across faculties. ie they're not all given to science & maths people who presumably do the best percentage-wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Yep I know someone who did that and got it on his second attempt, also got a 1st in JS too.

Thanks for the response.

Another couple of questions. It says to qualify for schols the "previous conduct of candidates must have been satisfactory". Do they really look at that? Would repeating a year rule you out?

Also, when it says scholars are entitled to remission of the annual fee if they don't qualify for free fees does it mean they'll refund you the fees if your repeating the year you get schols? Or will they just not charge you fees from then on if you happen to not qualify for free fees? I'm guessing the latter.

And I always thought "rising JF" meant "continuing JF".

I had a flick through the 1911/12 calendar today, and there was a line in it which explained the rising JF thing, saying that (going on memory) that it is someone who has been granted access to Trinity but has yet to take up their studies. Not sure why they took out the full explanation.

Schols Talk is tomorrow by the way, starting at 6:15 (not 6 - I can't edit the above post!) in the MacNeill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Previous conduct is a blurry phase - the court of examiners recommends you based on your results and their general feeling (allegedly) - so the language provides a shield against legal challenges and so on. But there's no formal bar to students who have failed in the past, and I know people who have done so and gone on to Schol and more.

Schol results are not part of your academic record, except for subjects that get you exemptions. Failure to get it has no negative consequences whatsoever, apart from your general happiness and sanity.

Multiple attempts are fine, and treated formally as first time around (although again, there is discretion at examiner level that is not exercised in accordance with a rulebook!).

Award of Foundation Schols (of which I'm one :D) ) varies from year to year. Last year, for example, there were 14 available, so the 'best two' in each of the 6 faculties, plus TSM, were given. There are 70 at one time, so on average, one-fifth are replaced each year, giving a complete cycle in five years. Because the Found/Non-Found distinction is of quite little importance, the system for filling in the foundation places tends to change, but best in faculty and getting 'all firsts' are definitely factors that have been used in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

EduMyth wrote:
    Schols Talk is tomorrow by the way, starting at 6:15 (not 6 - I can't edit the above post!) in the MacNeill.
    I can, done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Apologies for dragging up an extremly old thread but can part time students (i.e. BSc CS by night) take part in Schol exams?

And if awarded what are the guidlines on awarding accomodation to part time students?

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Anyone going in for Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

logic1 wrote:
    Apologies for dragging up an extremly old thread but can part time students (i.e. BSc CS by night) take part in Schol exams?

And if awarded what are the guidlines on awarding accomodation to part time students?
    Yes, evening-course students can take the Schols: see p.13 of this.

From the same, it would appear a student taking an evening course would qualify for rooms too.

Right_Side wrote:
    Anyone going in for Monday?
    I'll be in to congratulate whoever I know who gets Schols.

europerson wrote:

Yeah me too.

I want to see the whole ceremony and the traditions and such, should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I took a look at the schols result list for Law students... doesn't seem like there's many who got it (i.e. at least full exemptions)... (I think around 12 people went for it there).

Is that the same situation with other faculties? e.g. how many apply from BESS and how many get at least full exemptions (not even schols)...

Thirdfox wrote:
    how many apply from BESS and how many get at least full exemptions (not even schols)...
    I think this has been posted elsewhere: sixty BESS students did the exams, and thirty-one got full exemptions. A handful got partial exemptions.

So are schols mainly BESS students then?

Are there statistics for how many schols each department/faculty(?) churns out a year?

Thirdfox wrote:
    not really....

and full exemptions != schols ... i know lots of people will full exemptions who didn't get schols(69% what a stinger...)

Thirdfox wrote:

Are there statistics for how many schols each department/faculty(?) churns out a year?

Well you said 12 went for it, probably about 6 got full exemptions. This is the same % as BESS.

BESS produces the highest number of Scholars because 1) It's one of the biggest courses. 2) A lot of people do it because, unlike other courses, it is highly encouraged.

The important thing to realise is that as a % BESS doesn't produce any more Scholars than others but as a number it does.

E.g. I think 8 got it in BESS last year and I think 70 did it. So thats about 11%.
    Say 12 did it law last year and 2(Guess) got it. Thats 16% and a therefore higher percentage get it in Law.

It's like there were 101 deaths on the road in Spain over Easter and 9 in Ireland (I think). Does that mean Spain has a worse safety record than here? No because it is the % that is important because Spain has a much higher population (just like BESS). Unfortunate example I know but it is the first thing to come to mind.

I think only 2/3 law students got full exemptions (and as Nietzschean has rightly said full exempt. does not = schols).

So which faculty churns out the most scholars then? Arts or sciencey ones?

• Advertisement

Thirdfox wrote:
    I think only 2/3 law students got full exemptions (and as Nietzschean has rightly said full exempt. does not = schols).

Ok, I found some hard evidence: http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/FellowsScholars/

3 people got Schols in Law last year and therefore my point is pretty much validated. 3 out of 12(Guess- even if it was as high as 27 my point still holds) is 25% which is a lot higher than 11%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Thirdfox wrote:

http://www.tcd.ie/Secretary/FellowsScholars/#ns <--- well, that's the list from last year, by course - sciences seem to have more scholars per course, certainly.

Thanks... yep those smart medics are leading the pack! (Well actually tied with BESS)

As Right_Side pointed out, the important consideration is really the % of students who sat the schols that got it....

i'm not sure how the number of scholars per course is interesting at all, the % would be..but not sure how the actual value ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

europerson wrote:
    I only know yourself and AB who did schols. So I won't be going in. I'll congratulate you on another day if ya get it :)

Thirdfox wrote:
    Thanks... yep those smart medics are leading the pack! (Well actually tied with BESS)
    TP got a lot (5), especially considering they've approx 1/10th the amount of students as BESS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I hear a couple of people have been getting 'subtle' mails already from their course/faculty (*cough* BESS) politely making sure that they're going to be there on Monday...

ApeXaviour wrote:
    TP got a lot (5), especially considering they've approx 1/10th the amount of students as BESS.
    Anyone know who got the Toronto schol last year?

stargal wrote:
    I hear a couple of people have been getting 'subtle' mails already from their course/faculty (*cough* BESS) politely making sure that they're going to be there on Monday...
    If that's the case, I'm gone, so!

Advertisement