Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT & Bribes

Options
  • 07-01-2006 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

OK I have my NCT tomorrow, 'no problem' I thought. I had to change the front shocks as 1 of them was leaking and a track rod end was worn out. Got all that done this morning, so I Went up to my local tyre centre to get the tracking done, and they were totally booked out. I went *everywhere* else in Galway that I could think of, and they were either booked out or closed

So now I have to put a car through the NCT tomorrow, which the tracking is slightly off

** PLEASE NOTE; IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE 'SHAME ON YOU, YOUR WHATS WRONG WITH THE WORLD, ETC.' TYPE OF PEOPLE, DO NOT READ ON, MOVE ONTO THE NEXT POST, DO NOT REPLY... GEDDIT? JUST DONT REPLY, IF YOU REPLY WITH WHAT I ASKED YOU NOT TO REPLY WITH, YOU'RE A RETARD **

Now, I dont condone this type of stuff, but do ya reckon if I left 30euro sticking out of the ashtray that they might pass me? Or is this one of the things that even a nice tester cant pass me on as it comes up on the computer? The only reason I ask is because ive heard, and know people personally who have passed when they shouldnt have by leaving a few quid lying about the car...

-Edit- I know having the tracking off wears the tyres, etc. but im going to get it done first thing on monday, I just wouldnt like to have to splash out an extra 50euro to to another test. I had thought of cancelling the test, but ill still have to pay a 22euro cancelation fee, so for the sake of it, id may aswell put it though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Ok, moral stuff aside, the real point of the NCT is car safety and pollution levels - these guys are not trying to nail you as such (unless your handle is Unkel and have a faded Baile Atha Cliath ;) ). If your car is unsafe then you should expect it to fail.

You suggest leaving €30 in the ashtray, but a re-test is €27.50. Surely from an economic point of view just get it fixed and re-tested (save yourself €2.50 :) )

Personally I wouldn't bother. I would turn up expecting to fail. Get the first test done, they you'll know what you need done. Get it fixed and re-test. Then you should pass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

JohnCleary wrote:
    Or is this one of the things that even a nice tester cant pass me on as it comes up on the computer?
    I think this'd be the case myself, unless the testers have some ability to override the computers readings. I doubt they would as it'd leave the whole system open to claims of abuse, both from the point of view of people bribing to pass, and the NCT companies unfairly failing people to get more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are a lot of urban myths about the NCT floating about. The "cash in the ashtray trick" is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jayok wrote:
    Ok, moral stuff aside, the real point of the NCT is car safety and pollution levels - these guys are not trying to nail you as such (unless your handle is Unkel and have a faded Baile Atha Cliath ;) ). If your car is unsafe then you should expect it to fail.

You suggest leaving €30 in the ashtray, but a re-test is €27.50. Surely from an economic point of view just get it fixed and re-tested (save yourself €2.50 :) )

Personally I wouldn't bother. I would turn up expecting to fail. Get the first test done, they you'll know what you need done. Get it fixed and re-test. Then you should pass.

Oh, I thought a re-test was full whack. Just remembered there that its 27.50 if you do it within 30 days of the origional test. Thanks for that... makes sense! I think ill do the honest thing, and fail :o

stevenmu wrote:
    I think this'd be the case myself, unless the testers have some ability to override the computers readings. I doubt they would as it'd leave the whole system open to claims of abuse, both from the point of view of people bribing to pass, and the NCT companies unfairly failing people to get more money.

Aye, thats what I thought. I've heard stories in regard to emmisions, where they stick the probe (ooh er!) in another exhaust, etc.. don't know how true it is though.

As stated in my above post, im just gonna run it through, but im certain that the tracking is the only thing im going to fail on* :(

* It was in for its first NCT just over 5 weeks ago, only failed on a front leaking shock and worn track rod end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

BrianD3 wrote:
    There are a lot of urban myths about the NCT floating about. The "cash in the ashtray trick" is one of them.

i have to disagree with you on this one. i know for a fact that e50 given to a certain person in a certain testing centre will get your car passed (provided it isn't a complete banger)

preilly79 wrote:
    i have to disagree with you on this one. i know for a fact that e50 given to a certain person in a certain testing centre will get your car passed (provided it isn't a complete banger)

You AGREE with him then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

JohnCleary wrote:
    You AGREE with him then? :D

lol, semantics schemantics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

preilly79 wrote:

Agreed .. know of somebody who did this also.. car was failing emissions slightly and despite numerous tweaking they could get not get it below the threshold.

Left with no choice ( in their opinion ) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I know a mechanic who has brought the car to the centre for my parents and it always passes even though there are a few small things wrong. I think hes a friend of one of the testers or something. Obviously the mechanic charges a bit extra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If I was you I'd plead my case and explain the situation, if the tracking isn't out that much you might pass anyway. Or else tell the tester you hit one of the many potholes on the way for the test, he'll see the work you've done to the car anyway, its worth a shot. I think the days of bribing are gone with all the hidden cameras and stuff nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

man just leave the 30 quid there!!!

if he takes it and passes you , all well and good.

if he doesnt take it and fail you, just use the 30 to resit the test after you fix the tracking.

Simple , whats the problem?? -its not like hes gonna call the guards becuase there was 30 quid in your ash tray!

C_Breeze wrote:
    man just leave the 30 quid there!!!

if he takes it and passes you , all well and good.

if he doesnt take it and fail you, just use the 30 to resit the test after you fix the tracking.

Simple , whats the problem?? -its not like hes gonna call the guards becuase there was 30 quid in your ash tray!

Sure there'd be no proff that I was trying to bribe him. We always leave money in our car, etc.

Since its such a minor & fixable problem, im just going to let it go through tomorrow. However, I may have a little chat with the tester, ill explain to him that I have just done all the work, and no-where could put it up for tracking, and that I am going to get it done first thing on Monday. Maybe he might give me grace, maybe not. It's worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnCleary wrote:
    27.50 if you do it within 30 days of the origional test. Thanks for that... makes sense! I think ill do the honest thing, and fail :o

Remember that the car might fail on other issues too, so at least now you find out if there are any and you can fix them in time for the re-test

unkel wrote:
    Remember that the car might fail on other issues too, so at least now you find out if there are any and you can fix them in time for the re-test

It was in for its first test 5 weeks ago. Only failed on leaking passenger (front) shock and worn track rod end. Both of these were fixed yesterday by myself, and ive given the car a good going over, id be very surprised if there was anything else wrong (Unless a bulb blows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

just leave the 30 quid there and avoid the hassle ya scabby b****d.

Itll be funny if it fails on more things like unkel suggested. youd be kicking yourself afterwards thinking 'i should have just left the money there';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

I dont even bother with an NCT,my car is only 4 years old and i have serviced on a regular basis so it is safe!I have been stopped 3 times by the garda in the past 2 years and they never say anything about NCT disc

C_Breeze wrote:
    just leave the 30 quid there and avoid the hassle ya scabby b****d.

Itll be funny if it fails on more things like unkel suggested. youd be kicking yourself afterwards thinking 'i should have just left the money there';)

Sure im going to have to get the frickin tracking done anyways! Its not like I can really avoid it, I do like to get full life out of my tyres :)

The way I see it is, if I leave a bribe the costs will be: 30 bribe (tight) + 49 for the test + 25 tracking eventually = 104 euro

Do the test, fail, get the tracking done, do the re-test: 49 test + 25 tracking + 27.50 re-test = 101.50 .... a whole 2.50 cheaper. I think ill be a scabbu b4stard, do it the honest way and save myself 2.50 in which I buy a breakfast roll on the way home ;)

MrSinn wrote:
    I dont even bother with an NCT,my car is only 4 years old and i have serviced on a regular basis so it is safe!I have been stopped 3 times by the garda in the past 2 years and they never say anything about NCT disc

I want to sell the car soon, its a good selling point

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

JohnCleary wrote:
    It was in for its first test 5 weeks ago. Only failed on leaking passenger (front) shock and worn track rod end. Both of these were fixed yesterday by myself, and ive given the car a good going over, id be very surprised if there was anything else wrong (Unless a bulb blows)

Hey John, I'm due for NCT the 18th Jan. I am due a service this month anyway so I am dropping in the car to my mechanic on Monday. It was in a serious car crash in August, so I would expect them to "maybe" pick on chasis stuff. I am not sure. I would expect to have to go back a second time. I woudn't bother putting a bribe in the ash tray. You'll probably pass tomorrow if you've rectified the failures since.

All in all, they did not pick out tracking as an issue in your last test 5weeks ago then what makes you think they will this time?

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

preilly79 wrote:

Giving it directly to someone in the centre is a bit different than leaving it in the ashtray though. How would the guy know if it was meant as a bribe? A lot of people use the ashtray to keep money in, so they could get done for theft. Youcould always leave it there as a bribe, then , when you pass, compain that someone stole your money:D

Stekelly wrote:
    Giving it directly to someone in the centre is a bit different than leaving it in the ashtray though. How would the guy know if it was meant as a bribe? A lot of people use the ashtray to keep money in, so they could get done for theft. Youcould always leave it there as a bribe, then , when you pass, compain that someone stole your money:D

I said that before as a joke (here on boards) and I got absolutily FLAMED with replies like "Oh yeah ruin it for the rest of us, you suck, burn in hell, etc. etc." :eek:

bubby wrote:
    Hey John, I'm due for NCT the 18th Jan. I am due a service this month anyway so I am dropping in the car to my mechanic on Monday. It was in a serious car crash in August, so I would expect them to "maybe" pick on chasis stuff. I am not sure. I would expect to have to go back a second time. I woudn't bother putting a bribe in the ash tray. You'll probably pass tomorrow if you've rectified the failures since.

All in all, they did not pick out tracking as an issue in your last test 5weeks ago then what makes you think they will this time?

Best of luck!!

Well I know the tracking is off because when I let go of the wheel it almost launches to the left :eek:

What kind of a 'serious crash' were you in? Someone crashed my car in September and the whole front end needed replacing, NCT didnt pick up on any chassis damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

MrSinn wrote:
    your car is only due for its first test this year so the gardai would not have asked you for a valid NCT anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

you could try adjusting the tracking yourself. if you measure from the front centre of the front tyres and the rear centre of the tyres and adjust until its equal you should be near neutral tracking. worth a try !!!

greglo23 wrote:
    you could try adjusting the tracking yourself. if you measure from the front centre of the front tyres and the rear centre of the tyres and adjust until its equal you should be near neutral tracking. worth a try !!!

Ya wha... :eek:

Nah, instead im going to have a chat with the tester in the morning. When I go in im going to explain that I accidently drove over a big dirty pothole, what a shame, after doing the tracking less than 24 hours ago *cough*

I'll explain that I had the shocks replaced, and the track rod end, and had the tracking done straight after, but that its probably been knocked off because of the pothole. I will then promise to get it done straight away, and that im a student and tbh cant afford to be payin more money to come back n get it done again

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

JohnCleary wrote:
    Well I know the tracking is off because when I let go of the wheel it almost launches to the left :eek:

What kind of a 'serious crash' were you in? Someone crashed my car in September and the whole front end needed replacing, NCT didnt pick up on any chassis damage

Someone whopped into the back of the car. 5000 damage. I haven't had anything done with it (besides crash repairs) since then. I'm half thinking to get it in there for the test and go for my service (and whatever the NCT drags up) then back for the re-test.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnCleary wrote:
    It was in for its first test 5 weeks ago

Ok, you didn't mention that before. Why did you not have it re-tested withing 30 days? You could have saved yourself a bit of money there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

If I were the NCT tester, I'd take the 30 lids and fail your sorry ass, I'm sure you're dumb enough to try again.

You're approach on the issue is fascinating. Your first option is a bribe of €30, instead of
    a) Learning how to set the tracking yourself in 15 minutes
    b) getting the tracking done pretty much ANYWHERE on your way to the NCT for about €20
    c) resitting the test in time for €27.50

I suppose it's all about value.

NB: The above is not meant to be a moralistic position, more a comment on your fecundiary skills and general intelligence. A flame, if you will.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

MrSinn wrote:
    Your car is only due it's NCT after it's 4 years old so they wouldn't have asked about it. In fact they probably would only ask if it was 5+ years, mine's an 02 due it's first NCT in may but if I didn't get it and get pulled over after that I could always say it's due in another month or two and I doubt they'd check. I actually got pulled over the other day for not displaying an insurance disc and the Garda in question never mentioned NCT*.

Even if they aren't stopping/penalising people for no NCT, it's always worth having. It's only a matter of time untill someone uses the fact that a car they hit doesn't have it's NCT to get out of at least part of the responsibility for an accident. Even if they don't, if you don't have an NCT and are involved in any kind of incident, you're going to be in a lot more trouble than it takes to just get the NCT.

*I do actually have insurance, I just took the disc out to get the policy number when renewing tax online and forgot to put it back in

Advertisement