Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free to Air Satelite TV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Paddy20 wrote:
    Byte,

Thanks for the info, "No Freeview in Ballybofey" Damn Ballygobackwards/B] thats what this place is, If I had not been born here, I would not be living here :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P.:cool:

Hello Paddy, I'm in the Ballybofey area, and I receive all the Freeview channels from the Limavady transmitter. I'm about 3 miles on the Donegal town side of Ballybofey. Maybe I'm just lucky as I seem to have a good clear view towards the Derry/Limavady direction.:)
    I also have SKY, but it's great to have a crystal clear Channel 5, as the analogue signal from Divis is a bit dodgy in bad weather...

Steve_TcK wrote:
    Hi there,

I have a Sky setup from the uk but it will only pick up the bbc channels and only 3 at best
    I cant seem to get RTE on the sky box - for this i think you need a sky subscription..

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Yes, you need to take out a SKY subscription to receive RTE's, TG4 and TV3 on the SKY digital platform, unfortunately.:(

It's like paying twice for the same thing ! We pay our tv licence for RTE etc., and pay SKY to receive the same channels ?? !!

The Irish channels should be Free To Air on the SKY digital platform ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Steve_TcK

Hi there Icom,

Yes its the same in the UK - You pay your tv licence for BBC channels and then again to sky lol

Do you think i have much chance of The Digital through the tv antenna here in Carndonagh (Near Malin) ??

Steve

New Forums - http://chatbox.no-ip.com

Steve_TcK wrote:
    Hi there Icom,

Yes its the same in the UK - You pay your tv licence for BBC channels and then again to sky lol

Do you think i have much chance of The Digital through the tv antenna here in Carndonagh (Near Malin) ??

Steve

It really depends on your takeoff towards Limavady. Ideally, it should be line of sight.
    If there are a few hills between you and the transmitter your chances of getting a decent signal is reduced, as the digital mulitplexes from Limavady are running low power at the moment in order not to interfere with existing analogue tramsmissions for example, with Moville or even Truskmore in Sligo. (Truskmore analogue uses some of the same channels as the Limavady DTT Freeview. Great planning !) :)

Not sure where you are receiving your existing analogue signals from, but the Limavady signals are horizontally polarised. You might need to purchase an additional antenna and point it towards the Limavady transmitter. Get it up as high as possible, as this will improve your chances of "seeing" the transmitter.

All you can really do is to give it a try and hopefully you will get most of the channels. Good luck and let us know how you get on....

smashey wrote:
    Paddy

I am in Lifford. You can't get closer to the border than that. Even Strabane doesn't have freeview. Apparently the reason for this is there are too many 'cute hoors' in Donegal who would be taking advantage of this service if it was available. Why the people of Strabane and their representatives haven't taken this up is a mystery to me.

Smashey,

I attended a Ham Radio rally in Derry recently and someone (in the know) mentioned that plans are well advanced to start DTT transmissions from the Strabane transmitter in the near future. (the equipment has already been installed)

After all what will the people of Strabane do when analogue is switched off in a couple of years time. :)

This, of course, will be of advantage to the 'cute hoors' of the Finn Valley also, who may soon be enjoying Channel 5 etc. on Freeview in the comfort of their own homes.:)

• Advertisement

ok tanks ICOM,

Yes the take off here is quite good - and we run a few ham radio things from here,

The antenna i have is a massive gold beam so ill have a play later

Steve - EI2GYB

Thats great Steve.

I've seen a picture of your QTH on the web !!

No lack of antennas/rotators at that location, HI.

icom aka. ---- EI8GP :) 73's.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,833 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Steve_TcK and icom. If you want a private discussion take it up by PM.

If you have something to contribute or debate here with others then continue posting but things are going way off topic.

And for the life of me I cant see how one of two people who apparently don't know each other can post up a picture of the other's property.

I'm soft deleting these posts until I delve a little deeper.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Was gonna buy a free to air box, and mini dish in a few weeks.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to were I can find out howto set it up, and hoto get the best picture and best selection of channels?

And can you use it to pick up all the noraml rte1/rte2/tv3/etc.... if you dont have an aerial on you house already?

The dish and box will be setting me back €150.

This link will give you a list of channels availabe FTA from Astra 2/ Eurobird. This is the satellite you'll want to aim your dish at. Amongst many others, you'll get all the BBC and ITV channels (but no Channel 4 or five, these are Free-to-view, needing a Sky box and Freesat from Sky viewing card available only to UK addresses).

As has already been mentioned, you need a Sky subscription to avail of RTE/TV3/TG4 on satellite. This is due to a deal struck between Sky and RTE, where RTE get free carriage but must be subscription only.

The only other way of receiving RTE would be with an aerial. You'd probably be best going to your nearest electrical store who would be able to advise the best aerial for your location.

byte

icom wrote:
    I attended a Ham Radio rally in Derry recently and someone (in the know) mentioned that plans are well advanced to start DTT transmissions from the Strabane transmitter in the near future. (the equipment has already been installed)

After all what will the people of Strabane do when analogue is switched off in a couple of years time. :)
    Ooh, interesting. Hope it's sooner rather than later! I'm currently picking up my NI signals from Strabane.

As for the "cute hoors" in the Finn Valley, they'll not be the first to avail of Freeview in RoI, and I doubt very much if ROI was the reason behind them not introducing Freeview sooner. Some in ROI can get it from Limavady, Divis and of course Brougher Mtn, near Enniskillen.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    Steve_TcK and icom. If you want a private discussion take it up by PM.

If you have something to contribute or debate here with others then continue posting but things are going way off topic.

And for the life of me I cant see how one of two people who apparently don't know each other can post up a picture of the other's property.

I'm soft deleting these posts until I delve a little deeper.

Sorry for going off topic Muffler. (Head bowed in shame)

That was not my intention. I will pay attention in future and try to stay on track.

I'm sure I will meet up with Steve_TcK soon as we share a common interest.

Good to see that someone is watching over us, and keeping us on the straight and narrow.

icom...:)

I was contributing,

I was asking if i would be able receive Digital tv in malin
    Sorry for going off Topic

Steve
    ChatBox Forums http://chatbox.no-ip.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I saw a planning application notice up at the mongorry transmitter site made by RTE a few months ago. I take it that this is part of the dtt trial....

byte

I saw a planning application notice up at the mongorry transmitter site made by RTE a few months ago. I take it that this is part of the dtt trial....
    Dunno, the trials are only being transmitted from Clermont Cairn in Louth and Three Rock in Dublin. :(

Advertisement