Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell & Interlink Delivery

Options
  • 30-12-2005 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Here goes,

Ordered a laptop from dell two weeks ago, dell got it to the couriers Interlink as normal. Rang Interlink up to get an idea of the delivery date. To my suprise and joy, was told they'd be delivering it today(Friday). So I took the day off work to accept the delivery and low and behold nothing came, not even a phone call or e-mail letting me know something had prevented them from delivering it. What a crappy company.

Has anyone else fallen victim to this top-notch service?

Some advice, ask for an alternative courier if you buy dell stuff :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Er, that's courier industry standard..

(Paraphrasing someone i cannot remember: ) In fairness, why take the day off? Why not collect from a depot? Why not get it delivered to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

On topic, interlink lost (read; stole) my inpiron last january...took me 5 weeks to get someone to finally own up to the fact that it hadn't actually been delivered at all, and for dell to build me a new one. Not saying that this is what's happened to the OP, just a side note. On the other hand I've had interlink guys deliver my sh*t on the button and ahead of schedule....at this time of year things are a little crazy and missing a friday delivery by a day isn't so bad really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I ordered a system on Dec 29th.. it was dispatched on the 30th.

I'M IMPATIENT! WHERE IS MY SYSTEM?

Sorry for the caps - just had to get that out of my system.

I suppose interlink don't deliver on bank holidays :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

took mine a day and a half to get to me. and I'm not from dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

I ordered a laptop last Thursday 29th and I got the order corfirmation today. It also said that the expected delivery time was on or before the 6th (48 hours after I got order corfirmation). In all honesty (especially after reading the posts above) is there any chance that interlink will deliver by Friday?
    Have to say if I did get the laptop by Friday I would be very impressed by Dells and interlinks effeciency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

I got an Inspiron 6000 in december and it took like two weeks toget to me. All in all there not that bad at delivering but if stuff goes wrong then Neither Dell or Interlink can really tel you whats going on, its the communication that has a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

Got the laptop at 8:30 this morning. Have to say good, fast work Dell and Interlink. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I ordered a computer of dell a month ago, interlink rang me to see where i lived i told the guy and he was amazed because my stuff was in tipperary and im in sligo, so he sent it the next day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Interlink are pants. Having worked for Dell I know all about them. If fine if your a business and there is someone there all the time, but I have heard stories of people take 2 and 3 days off work, each time to be let down by interlink not showing up. Not Dells fault but Dell do work hard to avoid this happening, and usually will refund your delivery charge if this happens. Interlink use local outsourced drivers sometimes and these guys are muppets. For some reason Interlink company policy is that they will not call to tell you when your delivery is coming. You can ring interlink but would be lucky to get an AM or PM. My advise to anyone is get it delivered to somehwere like the office where there is alwats be someone there to recieve it. Don't take a day off work as you may regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

A couple of times I've arranged with Interlink to hold my parcel in their local depot and give me a call .... I then pop in and collect it ..... I live out in the sticks and it's much easier for me to do it that way ...... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Credit where credit is due as far as my experience today is concerned.

First of all, I don't work for Dell or Interlink. I ordered a v basic Inspiron 1300 on Tuesday 24 January. OrderWatch service on Dell.ie said it was dispatched the next day. Rang Interlink's Dublin Central depot yesterday (Thursday 23 January) to get an idea of delivery time (hoping to get the laptop for the weekend while the girlfriend is away!) and they had a look for my package. It wasn't there, but the lady in the office told me to call back on Friday morning.

Called this morning at 10am and was told the laptop was in their depot and I should have it in the next few hours. Got it within the hour, with all bits and pieces present and accounted for. All in all, I couldn't have asked for more.

One thing I would suggest to Dell is providing the customer with a Track & Trace number similar to An Post's so the package's progress can be tracked, so no-one is taking days off work to be there for it.

Incidentally, I had mine delivered to my office and it worked out great bar one strange thing; the man delivering it told our receptionist, who was aware I was waiting for it, that he "wasn't insured to go up stairs". Our reception is on the first floor.

So apart from having to go down myself for it (my foot is in bits and I'm trying to keep my walking to a minimum!), a thoroughly-good experience and fair play to Dell and Interlink. I know it's not everyone's experience, but some people may search this website for testimonials about the service, like I did on Tuesday, and they should see the good with the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I could not fault their delivery either. I ordered my laptop a week ago and was dispatched on Sunday and I had it by noon on Tuesday. Excellent service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

The reason everything is shipping so quickly is that, dell's quarter end is the end of january, so everyone in dell is trying to their targets.

Have seen this a lot when I used to work there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sesheta

Ordered an Inspiron 1300 on January 18th and I'm still waiting! OK so there was a hold up with the financing going through but I couldn't check the progress online (my customer number didn't work) and apparently the laptop left Dell on the 30th.
    I've been onto Interlink and they have promised to deliver tomorrow between 10 and 2...the only thing I'm a bit worried about is that they won't let my husband sign for it coz it's my name on the invoice.
    Has anyone had problems in this regard? I've rung Interlink to check but now I'm waiting for a call back.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I got one of dells 26inch lcds a while back,I looked on dell website to see the lcd would be at my door on a thursday so I took day off etc.Low and behold they attempted a delivery on friday when I was in work.So had to go up to their depo at back of redcow to pick it up on a saturday.

I emailed dell to say how I took day off etc and they gave me €50 back as a good will gesture.Having said that when I ordered from dell again I was given a date but the package was delivered 2days early,cant complain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

mad m wrote:
    I got one of dells 26inch lcds a while back,I looked on dell website to see the lcd would be at my door on a thursday so I took day off etc.Low and behold they attempted a delivery on friday when I was in work.So had to go up to their depo at back of redcow to pick it up on a saturday.

I emailed dell to say how I took day off etc and they gave me €50 back as a good will gesture.Having said that when I ordered from dell again I was given a date but the package was delivered 2days early,cant complain though.
    This is a problem with Interlink as opposed to Dell. A lot of courier companies, and maintenance companies (ie the ones Dell use) simply won't give you an AM or PM, or a concrete delivery date.

I have a friend in the UK who ordered a monitor from Dell. Dell use Walsh Western to manage UK deliveries - thair tracking system is amazing and doesn't have the usual lag times. Makes it less frustrating for customers and easier for Dell staff. Here's a snippet from the customer side:
     Date Time Location Activity 
     02/02/06  06:32  TNT - MILTON  ORDER ON DELIVERY.  
     02/02/06  02:03  TNT - MILTON  ORDER COMPLETE IN DEPOT.  
     02/02/06  01:07  TNT - MILTON  FIRST BOX SCANNED INTO HUB.  
     01/02/06  22:24  TNT - HUB  ORDER COMPLETE IN DEPOT.  
     01/02/06  20:46  TNT - HUB  FIRST BOX SCANNED INTO HUB.  
     01/02/06  17:09  COVENTRY  ORDER DISPATCHED FROM HUB.  
     01/02/06  15:49  COVENTRY  FIRST BOX SCANNED OUT OF HUB.  
     01/02/06  13:07  COVENTRY  MERGE ITEMS PICKED.  
     31/01/06  20:30  RAHEEN  DEPARTED EMF LIMERICK.  

So it got to him within 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

bought a dell laptop last week and got in in 2-3 days by interlink

Laptops are generally faster than desktops because generally the only thing they have to put into the chassis is RAM. (Systems are manufactured by a seperate company). I'm not 100% on this though, really should ask someone in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

we use interlink at work and Id say theyre up there with the worst couriers in Ireland. I couldnt count the number of times they've ruined perfectly good pcs, printers, monitors, etc in transit. No matter how well they are packed, Interlink will find a way to kill them. They must kick the packages from van to van. More than once we've had a delivery man come into the reception and drop a box from waist height onto the ground. Not only that, they've lost around half a dozen packages of ours and damaged some very expensive servers.

It seems the only packages they take any care with are the ones with "Dell" on the box. Then again, I suppose that would be a fairly big contract to lose.

Interlink are the only couriers Dell use in Ireland so yup, big contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Do interlink deliver on saturdays, so i take it i can just arrange to go and collect pc from my local depot.how do u TRACK IT , on interlink site, name, password, where do u get password, i,m tracking delivery, it said,3rd/o2/06
    now it says on or before 9th/02/06 .

gamer wrote:
    Do interlink deliver on saturdays, so i take it i can just arrange to go and collect pc from my local depot.how do u TRACK IT , on interlink site, name, password, where do u get password, i,m tracking delivery, it said,3rd/o2/06
    now it says on or before 9th/02/06 .
    Don't think Interlink provide tracking for Dell packages, you have to go by the vague tracking on the Dell order status site. On internal systems we can see walsh western tracking but not interlink. I've heard of people getting Saturday deliveries but it's not the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

i will be ordering my new laptop next week so i was wonderin how long it will take to deliver from the day i order? its just one of the standard inspirion 6000s so they'res no need for any customisation

blocparty wrote:
    i will be ordering my new laptop next week so i was wonderin how long it will take to deliver from the day i order? its just one of the standard inspirion 6000s so they'res no need for any customisation
    If you order on Monday you'd prob have it by the end of the week. 5 days max I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Interlink are as rough as F**k and I'll tell u why! first off the way it breaks down is that interlink are not contracted to Dell there contracted to a crowd called Piranha Logistic's, this happens to be owned by the guy who had a part in setting up interlink in Ireland, this company contracts interlink to distribute there products so by the time it Get's to the local courier making the delivery he is only be paid cost price (about €6 Per consignment i think) to deliver the package, now he has to run a van all day pay a driver and all that stuff that goes with it so how many dell consignments does that van have to do in order to pay for it's self!!! saying that for the amount of stuff they move I'm surprised there aren't more complaints

and as not going up the stairs, that's standard OP for transport and delivery companies as if they let something drop there liable!!

p.s dont work for either dell or interlink

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

pgodkin wrote:
    and as not going up the stairs, that's standard OP for transport and delivery companies as if they let something drop there liable!!

That's all very well but they already went up two flights to speak to the receptionist and there was a lift anyway.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine, Viking Direct do the same and I've had several run-ins with them over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Knockieranlady

Hi ordered a pc from dell on Saturday last, as I was on a laptop not attached to printer I saved the confirmation page instead of printing it.heard nothing since from Dell so decided to ring and inquire today. Customer care said my order wasn't processed and I would need to order again. This was about two O'clock, left the house then and returned a couple of hours later to find a note from Interlink on the door. Rang the mobile number provided and spoke to the courier who informed me he had tried to deliver PC at around 3.30 today. He had my mobile number as I was only 5 mins away I could have been back to meet him. Unbelievably he told me that he couldn't ring me as he had no credit! Interlink expect employees to use their own mobiles and he had run out of credit. Is this unreal or what? a courier service with no mobiles!!! Any Interlink employees out there to confirm this? I have received deliveries from this courier before and have always found him really helpful. He said he is trying to save money and calls cost 63c per min! any views on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Madness....but not unusual...my boss and many others I've worked for in the past have expected me (and colleagues) to use personal credit for company business...I say f*ck that, and if I need something I call someone, hang up and they'll usually call back.

That said, for a courier company, where having a mobile expedites the delivery process (directions, people in or out of house etc), it actually saves the company money...bit of a no-brainer. Could be they get a certain amount of work credit and the guy was after blowing it on ringtones or something eh? Or else interlink are stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Just to let u know that it's not interlink delivering your package it's a local courier company who has franchised it from them in that area, so it down to the local company in your area delivering your package!

i know from experience's that interlink expect all drivers to have Mobile's and they would prob freak out that this guy said that to u!

they are a very good company and this sort of messing would not be tolerated, can i ask what area you are in?

Philip :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Picked up my Interlink in the depot too. Live near Limerick (Clare side of the boarder!!). Came fast because it came from the outlet. Only thing is they left me to my own devices in the depot with the crate of dell deliverys. I could have loaded up a few boxes. Probably would have caught me on camera but still, fairly lax security. Might account for deliverys that have disappeared in the past!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement