Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Litcagral wrote:
    The pig at the entrance to the short term car-park is a charity collection point. AFAIK 'Muc' being the Irish word for pig - "muck in for charity". Like all good advertising it caught your attention - that's why it's there.

You're obviously not very familiar with transport at Dublin Airport. Aircoach, Bus Eireann, Ulsterbus, Citylink, Bus Nestor, Rapid Express and Pro Bus all provide bus services from there

I am very familiar with transport at Dublin Airport. Aircoach is the one shining light as far as im concerned. Transport from the Airport is rubbish and will remain that way until there is a privately operated rail link to the city to combat the attrociuosness of Dublin Bus (which, because of its monopoly there is a crap service and carries the most visiters). Then there is the taxis, most of which arent bad but a rip off all the same. As for the pig, it looks stupid, end of story. I feel ashamed walking through the worst airport in Europe and there is no two ways about it.:mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I feel ashamed walking through the worst airport in Europe

What have Heathrow, Charles DeGaulle, and a handful of others go to do with Dublin Airport? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

darkman2 wrote:
    I am very familiar with transport at Dublin Airport. Aircoach is the one shining light as far as im concerned. Transport from the Airport is rubbish and will remain that way until there is a privately operated rail link to the city to combat the attrociuosness of Dublin Bus (which, because of its monopoly there is a crap service and carries the most visiters). Then there is the taxis, most of which arent bad but a rip off all the same. As for the pig, it looks stupid, end of story. I feel ashamed walking through the worst airport in Europe and there is no two ways about it.:mad:

I think Dublin Airport is quite good compared to many other so called "international airports" that I've had experienced. JFK is a mess. Logan (terminal 5) has atrocious facilities. Indira Ghandi airport in New Delhi is much busier that Dublin but there is no rail link to the City despite the rest of India having an excellent rail system. I spent 10 hours in the international airport in Amman (Jordan) - nothing to see, do, buy etc. Spent another few hours in Miami Airport - again a bit of a joke as far as I remember.

I can agree on some points, however Dublin Airport is not a patch on JFK, even when you regard relative sizes of the two. Dublin airport is too small for a viable comparison with many American Airports. In fact I dont understand how ppl can defend the current state of our main airport, its indefensible. Its only handling 19 million passenger for gods sake, surely in Celtic tiger times this should be sorted out now. If we cant do it in boom times we will never be able to do it. The sooner construction on the new terminal and metro begin the better:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 satgirl

Try Kuala Lumpur (KLIA). Instead of extending the old airport, they built another one at new site & in less time than it would take to add an extra loo in Dublin Airport.

It's state-of-the-art, with high ceilings, climate control and a underground monorail link between the circular departure hub and the front-desk building.

They've since added a high-speed rail link to KL, probably during a tea-break at Aer Rianta.

• Advertisement

There is no reason in the world why we cant have that standard of infrastructure other than imcompetence (and of course the Irish seem to complain about every new development, also none as NIMBYism). Unfortunatley I dont see the day coming soon when we can have an international hub to be proud of. Even look at the proposed new runway. The ppl in Portmarnock want to go to the European courts! Its absolutely ridiculous for infrastructure that is in the Nations interest to put up with this idiocy:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

In fairness to the people of Portmarnock they had the pleasure of dealing with Aer Rianta for years who were distant, arrogant and not the type to conduct any form of consultation with anyone least of all community groups.

One would hope that the new Dublin Airport Authority would talk to the punters in Portmarnock and see if some element of 'planning gain' can be used to stop this essential infrastructural project (second runway) becoming mired in legal delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Flew to the States on Christmas Eve and the pilot announced that there was an unidentified craft flying nearby with the call sign S. Claus. All the kids got so excited on the plane! So cute!

Advertisement