Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monogamy is unrealistic?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Vangelis wrote:
    Sex in the City.

Not sure if it glamourises non-monogamous relationships, but it certainly glamourises the 'right' to have as many partners as you like, at any time, anywhere. "Sexual liberalisation."

Could sexual liberalisation have something to do with it?

Maybe so, but even in Sex and the City those who are unfaithful, meaning have a partner but screw around behind their back deceitfully, are punished for it, somehow.

Multiple sex partners, yes, definitely glamourised, but lying to the one you've made a commitment to - though shalt suffer!!!!!!

Film by its nature glamourises. The key to insight into the agenda of an story, is to look at the consequences for the actions. Are they rewarded or punished?

But frankly, I dont know how much this has to do with infidelity being on the rise. It seems opportunity is far stronger influence. Or maybe we've all just gotten hornier and more prone to boredom. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I said it before the last time this was discussed, so i might as well say it again, but I think contraception has had a big role to play in infidenlity.

It is much easier to cheat sexually on your partner if there is no physical consequences to that action. It is also much easier to link sex purely with pleasure if it does not result in a child.

As for Sex and the City, I think it glamourises consequence-less sex, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. But I think it would be a bit more realistic if 1 in 10 episodes Samantha couldn't have sex because she was taking treatment for herpes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Miranda got clamida in season 4 and had more tests and had to not have sex and take meds and ring up all the other people she may have give it to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Thaedydal wrote:
    Miranda got clamida in season 4 and had more tests and had to not have sex and take meds and ring up all the other people she may have give it to :D

Missed that one ... not that I watch it or anything ... ahem ... [manly cough]

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

great contribution Diane :) - edit, damnit Wicknight!

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:

Didnt she also lose an ovary?

Samantha got breast cancer.

Charlotte miscarried and had problems conceiving.

Did anything happen to Carrie? Aside from her own narcissitic self punishments and Im sorry ,very bad fashion choices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I think monogamy is an unrealistic ideal for the people out there who know they're not naturally monogamistic (is that even a word?!), however I believe some people out there are truly capable of monogamy.

I for instance (believe this or not) would never cheat on a partner/girlfriend, I just couldn't do it. Before people deride me for taking the moral high ground, I honestly couldn't betray the girls (whom I would love - I wouldn't be with her otherwise) trust in me and our relationship. Sad thing is, when this sort of attitude comes from a man, he's labelled gay/weak/spineless/henpecked by his male peers, as if every man has to conform to the alpha male guidebook...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

lazydaisy wrote:
    So before modern times western men were faithful? Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor from laughter.

Well it depends on what your perspective of modern is.
    When I say modern society, I'd tend to mean the last 2-3000 years or so.
    Media glamourises it? Examples please.

Choose from any number of soap operas, movies, books and celebrity gossip shows.

Im asking you to choose. You said it, you choose.

By modern you mean, the years that follow AD. Does anyone else think thats modern ot just you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

lazydaisy wrote:
    So before modern times western men were faithful? Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor from laughter.

So it's only men who cheat?... one of 'those' are we?.

• Advertisement

Good lord no.

Who are one of "those"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

lazydaisy wrote:
    Im asking you to choose. You said it, you choose.
    Only one? Ok then, Sunset beach :)
    By modern you mean, the years that follow AD. Does anyone else think thats modern ot just you?

that should have been 2-300, my bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement