Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opty 148 overclocking :)

Options
  • 22-12-2005 12:03am
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just built my dad an opty system its a beast and i just started ocing, I am running at 2.4ghz but i dropped the multi to 9 and set the fsb to 266 and the ram is just flying at (2.5-3-3-8) and 6000mb/s in Sandra, temps are ok at 34 degrees, I will post back later with an update

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ok i am at 2.5ghz with fsb at 278mhz and timings at (2.5-4-3-7) temps are around 48 degrees idle so i am going to lower it a bit until i get some arctic silver 5 here is a Screenshot:

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/9625/untitled3om.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Cool stuff. Ive got an Opteron 146 on the way to me, one of the infamous ones with the "FX57 beater" cores.. cant wait to replace my A64 3700 ;)

Matt

why get rid of a san diego 3700, thats a great chip 1mb cache just like the opty, anyway i have to do some more overclocking i will be back tomorrow:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

You should take a day or two reading this. EVERYTHING you will ever need.

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75211

Yes all 4,000posts :v:

conzymaher wrote:
    why get rid of a san diego 3700, thats a great chip 1mb cache just like the opty, anyway i have to do some more overclocking i will be back tomorrow:D :D:D

Nah, its had its day! Didnt like it memory compatilbilty too much really and the Opteron is a cheaper and more effective CPU. The 3700 is going to my HTPC (selling current CPU - P4-M in Forsale board!), which will also be using my old A8N SLI board... quite overkill really. :eek:

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

You cant change the multi on opterons :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

commited wrote:
    You cant change the multi on opterons :p
    At all? I find that very, very hard to believe!

You cant change the multi on opterons

You can change it down lower that is original value in *.5 increments, I know this cpu can do 2.8 but i dont want to go higher than 2.5 with the stock cooler and thermal pad i dropped the multi to 9 and i have the fsb at 278mhz and the Platinium is very stable, I have heard that it can do 300mhz, I might try later

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Using .5 multis isn't a good idea. It'll round down the bus clock to an integer divider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Good stuff and I'll be taking a look at that link. Picked up a Opty 146 last week CABYNE stepping so will be looking for a good OC on it. Still to decide on an MB but probably will go with a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D. What MB are you using conzymaher?

• Advertisement

Yeah i know, I was just saying that it could be adjusted I always use even multis anyway (its easier calculate clock speeds:p ) Anyway I am using an ASUS a8n-e and it isnt recognising the CPU, I am lucky it didnt fry it, It says AMD Processer Model Unknown, should a flash to the Beta Bios fix this, and how do you upgrade the bios on a asus board,

I am having trouble reading temps MBM5 wouldnt read it Sandra says 30 degrees and the bios says 47 degrees, I dont want to go higher until i have d definite temp reading, Whats a good program for reading temps

Dingatron I am using a Asus A8N-E because it has most of the overclocking options that the Lanparty has and its cheaper, you can chose a fsb between 200-400mhz. But the lanparty has a lot more ram timing options and i think it has more voltage to the cpu too.

Just got the new CPU up and running, 2.9GHz on the Desktop with Zalman aircooling. Seems stable enough to run Fear anyhow. Hopefully Ill be able to get this damn Prommy back to life and working, should be interesting then..

Lot better CPU than the 3700 San Diego anyhow..

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

That's sweet. What stepping was your 146 Matt Simis?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Matt Simis wrote:
    Cool stuff. Ive got an Opteron 146 on the way to me, one of the infamous ones with the "FX57 beater" cores

Ebay jobby, Matt? How much did it set you back landed?

unkel wrote:
    Ebay jobby, Matt? How much did it set you back landed?

Yep, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6831973801&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

As Im sure you know, these are impossible to find retail, so dont mind paying a little over the odds on Ebay.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

These opterons are great chips got a cabye 146 from komplett (just before all the hoopla took over and delivery dates started slipping) and it's currently running nicely at 2.7ghz with stock volts and decent temps (42 under load). I haven't really pushed it yet so i'd imagine it can do more but my ram (ballistix pc4000) seems to be holding me back a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Can anyone help me? i can only get 2.20 without it crashing :-( i got a CABNE chip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

have you tried lowering the multi from 10x to 9x?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mine needs 1.6volts to do 2.6ghz

Ill try now jebus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Just warming my opteron 146 up.

She's currently priming at 2660 mhz

Clock Ratio 9.5
    Voltage 1.456 (never had a prime failure but boosted slightly just to cover myself)
    HTL Speed 840mhz
    HT Clock 280Mhz
    cpu temp according to nvidia thing is 42c (big as$ copper cooler)

These baby steps are a real time consumer ;)

Anyone got any advice?

Prime has completed Test 21. Time to up her some more brb :)

Em possibily your PSU man?? Can u link me to it?

Hnmnmmn I have a feeling thee rails might be really weak. What vcore are you at?

1.360v

1.360v

Umm.. thats really low.

Ok i put it up to 1.504 and got an extra 60mhz... any tips ?? my ram timings are @ stock...

Set it to stock voltage and try loosening the timings really loose so that you know its not the ram holding you back.

Could you look at your PSU and tell us the Amps on the 3.3v 5v and 12v rails, just to be sure its not its not the PSU 550watt sounds like a lot but that is more than likely peak wattage and not true wattage

• Advertisement

Is loose higher??? im new to overclocking...

3.3V - 30A
    5V - 32A
    12V - 35A

Advertisement