Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are less woman non-religious?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Personally I have always found women to be more religious but...if they are not...it may just mean they are smarter. :v:

I think you have misread the double negative. Woman are more religious (cso) as you thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

So which way do we look at this, trouble, do women have a 'leakage' from one side of their brains to the other - or do men have a 'blockage' between them? :)

neither or both depending on how you wish to look at it. The fact is that the area that seperates the 'left' brain and the 'right' brain is larger in women and so follows smaller in men. Sceintists have worked out how information travels through the brain, by neurons firing paths from area to area. The fact that women have a larger corpus callosum means more paths can be made between the left and right of the female brain. meaning women can 'multi-task' better and can express feeling though language (these functions are situated on either side of the brain). Men tend to excell when one side is needed and not the other, they can focus on the task at hand better and lets face it excell in fields like logic, mathamatics and stuff like that. I'm not saying that men or women are better, or that men can't express feeling, or that women are crap at maths, I'm just trying to point out how brain function plays a part in the abillity of women to feel more spiritual or religious or whatever you want to call it and pose a possible answer to the question.
    To my mind in this day in age it becomes more apparant that this is the case because previously (be it 30 years ago or 3 centuries ago) people did not have the knowledge available that we have today. And people tended to believe the bible as fact. These days people see religion as a sense of 'spirituallity'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

samb wrote:
    I think you have misread the double negative. Woman are more religious (cso) as you thought.
    Ooops, my bad. Gotta lay off the coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

just thought women seem to be more into psychics past lives fairies guardian angels etc maybe they are naturally more spiritual than men or more gullible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Another question

Why, in societies that are quite openly hostile to women (fundamentalist religions of all stripes mainly), are women then some of the most vociferous defenders of that regime?

I have noticed it in several incidences, from islam as practiced is Saudia Arabia, to the bible belt of the mid west.

I have my own crackpot theories but would like some elucidation.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

legspin wrote:
    Another question

Why, in societies that are quite openly hostile to women (fundamentalist religions of all stripes mainly), are women then some of the most vociferous defenders of that regime?

I have noticed it in several incidences, from islam as practiced is Saudia Arabia, to the bible belt of the mid west.

I have my own crackpot theories but would like some elucidation.:)

Because they're not feminists? People will put up with a hell of a lot if they believe it's God's ordained role for them and that they will be rewarded in a later life. And, if they're not in positions of power, women will probably want to keep on the good side of those who are. Obedient women would not sympathise with women who were severely punished by moral codes but would classify them as immoral or deserving of thier punishment. Sure, it was the case with unmarried women who became pregnant until recently in Ireland. You'd think married women who had gone through pregnancy would sympathise about how hard it must be but it didn't happen in most cases.

Advertisement