Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite DVD you own?

Options
  • 12-12-2005 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭

Toughie for me!!

Love my sets - wouldn't part with any of them. What i mean by sets are not specifically boxsets but collections of associated films (typically by director) or sequel.

For example:
    - Back To The Future Trilogy (more traditional set)
    - Quentin Tarantino Set (collection of all his films)
    - Alien 1 - 3 (bought seperately)
    - Lord Of The Rings 1 - 3 (bought seperately)
    - M Night Shyamalan Collection (bought seperately)
    - David Fincher Collection (bought seperately)

And all my TV boxsets i could never part with:
    - Scrubs
    - Firefly
    - Lost
    - Freaks And Geeks
    - Undeclared
    - The Office
    - Family Guy
    - Phoenix Nights etc.

But particularly fond of my 'Freaks And Geeks' boxset.. maybe cos it's one of my favourite shows and it's a nifty 7 disc boxset!

PS - Entire collection available to view here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

you have Family Guy and you don't have Futurama? shame on you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

CyberGhost wrote:
    you have Family Guy and you don't have Futurama? shame on you! ;)
    Never been enough of a Futurama fan to warrant buying them, to be honest!

A fan of the earlier stuff but not as much of a fan as i would be of 'Family Guy' and 'The Simpsons' (til 4 or 5 seasons ago, of course!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

My Criterion Rushmore is probably my favourite. Criterion Slacker is a close second.

5420.jpg229685.jpg

As far as collections go, while none of the DVDs themselves are too impressive I have the Kubrick collection from Killer's Kiss to Eyes Wide Shut. Only Spartacus and Dr. Strangelove are packed sets. The Shining has a good making of as well, directed by his daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lodgepole wrote:
    My Criterion Rushmore is probably my favourite. Criterion Slacker is a close second.
    The Criterion Collection is phenomenal... anyone ever see the boxset of Criterion stuff they had to purchase on Amazon for a limited time last year? Hold on.. i'll see if i can dig up the link....

.... Aha! ... There we go!

B0006A05RM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

241 titles on 264 discs - quite tasty, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

My Robocop trilogy probably or Terminator 2.. Speaking of Tarantino "Natural Born Killers" is on E4 tonight strangely enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Predator. My god, but I love that film... "Get to da chopper!"

The extra bits, like the original Predator design, are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Twelve Angry Men

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Probably Vanishing Point at the moment. Snapped it up for a tenner in HMV...last one it seemed :)

Also have the Criterion Yojimbo, Sanjiro and The Hidden Fortress. Will not lend them out to anyone!!

Recently acquired Zatoichi (Limited Edition). The transfer on this dvd is amazing.

I have about 300/400 dvds I guess. I like that website basquille. I'll have to add mine on there too. Nice way to keep track of them all.

Nice DVD info site here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

mine are;

sopranos s1 - 5

the munsters s1

the complete eerie indiana boxset

alf season 1

jurassic park boxset

planet of the apes boxset

police academy boxset

band of brothers boxset

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

basquille wrote:
    Never been enough of a Futurama fan to warrant buying them, to be honest!

A fan of the earlier stuff but not as much of a fan as i would be of 'Family Guy' and 'The Simpsons' (til 4 or 5 seasons ago, of course!).

I hated Futurama, till there was nothing else interesting to watch, so I just sat down to watch it. After couple of episodes I was hooked! Awesome! tbh I prefer it to Simpsons, even the first ones.

Family Guy is great too, I like it too :)
    much better than today's "desperately trying to be funny" Simpsons.

and Louis doesn't piss me off like Marge does.

Forgot to add in the previous post: nice collection! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Criterion Brazil. Such a classy, classy set for such a classy, classy film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

The Breakfast Club
    Pulp Fiction
    Reservoir Dogs
    American Pie 1-3
    Aliens
    The Holy Grail
    Family Guy s1, 3 & 4
    American Beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My favourite is probably the Zatoichi special edition, with the tin case, art cards and film cell, or the Necronomicon edition of Evil Dead (which I recently found in HMV, to my delight!)
    Also love my tv sets, Futurama, Family Guy, South Park, Firefly, Lost etc.
    My favourite box-sets are my Alien Quadrilogy and Evil Dead trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well since I've only got 9 DVDs it's not that hard to choose. Clue with Tim Curry, Christopher Llyod, Madeline Khan. One of my favorite films!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My Favourite DVDs

-Robocop Trilogy Boxset (minus Robocop 3)
    -Starship Troopers
    -Platoon
    -The Avenging Fist
    -Death Machine

And the overall Winner:

-Toxic Avenger IV: Citizen Toxie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Trilogy of LOTR 4 disc editions.
    Family Guy boxsets season 1-3.
    Matrix trilogy including Animatrix. I know, Revolutions was shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

My fav has got to be Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas The Criterion collection DVD. Love the movie, love the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Cabin Fever, yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HST

The favourite DVD that I have. This is a though one. I'd probably go with the Monty Python films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Criterion Brazil. Such a classy, classy set for such a classy, classy film.
    That's one of those sets I keep saying i'll buy but just can't. So much money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Star Wars movies (x6).

I keep all my movies locked in filing cabinets down in my shed but SW is the only one(s) I keep in my house with me at all times just for when I'm 'in the mood'.

Lodgepole wrote:
    That's one of those sets I keep saying i'll buy but just can't. So much money...
    I only bought it because I was particularly flush one month and realised that if I didn't do it then, it'd always be on my "maybe/someday" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Boxsets would do it for me....

Have the collectors statue editions of LOTR.
    The Tin version of Band of Brothers which is a lovely looking set.
    Die hard Trilogy is another nice one
    R3 of the Indiana Jones trilogy which is a embossed leather style slipcase.

As for other dvd's I'd be particulary fond of (for sentimental reasons!!) these would include...

The Castle (australian film that took me ages to find)
    Schindlers list SE got for a bargain 10e from Power City of all places!
    Shrek 2 with the talking packaging again 10e from Power City!!!
    Beauty and the Beast 2 disc red collectors boxset found in the bargain bin in tescos for €14 and is worth a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Gotta say Criterion Robocop. Treasured. Love the bit where ED209 now kills your man at the start and riddles him for what must be an extra 5-10 secs. feels like ages when watching it the first time. Great stuff!! Brazil Criterion is on the list for must buys also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont think I could pick a favourite out of mine because I have so many but I love these three boxsets:

Indiana Jones
    LOTR
    Back to the Future

I also love all the classics from when I was a kid that I have been slowly collecting such as:

Labyrinth
    Dark Crystal
    Willow
    Flight of the Navigator
    Karate Kid
    The Goonies
    Stand by me

Ah what am I saying I love all my DVDS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

1st Sopranos Season 1-5
    2nd Band Of Brothers
    3rd Firefly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Fav. DVDs I have (from a packaging + extras point of view) are probably the LOTRs extended trilogy boxsets. I love the book style packaging on em.
    I also really like my Reservoir Dog SE box. It's got a sweet cover on it.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know where to get Dark City on DVD at a good price. I saw it in HMV and was going to get it till I saw the price tag of 34 yoyos :eek:

I was in San Francisco last week and picked up Dark City for a tenner! Sweet!

Not that it really helps you much.

But one word of advice: you're better off avoiding the UK R2 release - it's got a really nasty non-anamorphic transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Bacchus wrote:
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know where to get Dark City on DVD at a good price. I saw it in HMV and was going to get it till I saw the price tag of 34 yoyos :eek:
    You can get it for about 7 euros shipped from dvdpacific/dvdsoon

To look at the extended LOTR films, good boxsets. For contents I like the American Werewolf In London, love the commentary by the two actors on that. Was very disappointed with the Braveheart extras, my fav film but Gibson was poor for the commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've loads that i watch quite often, but my number one would have to be the Band Of Brothers boxset. It is without a doubt one of the greatest things i have had the pleasure of watching.

Advertisement