Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking project(Comp sys 3rd year)

Options
  • 08-12-2005 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

What's this ****e about? Can someone tell me what it is/where to get the spec?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

google subnet mask calculator for help on the calculations

spec is attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Rozie. While this project is pretty easy if you read the documentation that the lecturer has supplied, I think its a bit rich of you to arrive on here a day before its due asking where to get the spec. If you had attended the lectures or just asked in one of the tutorials or labs you would probably know where to find the spec and have a vague idea of how to do the thing. I know you're probably not the only person who's doing it tonight but thats another story. You really have no excuse for this. If the rest of the class can drag themselves in for lectures so can you.

Now while the above is pretty harsh I don't want to see anybody failing or anything. I've been pretty charitable and helped people who asked me during the year especially for the Data Structures project. I've no objection to helping anyone who is making a genuine effort themselves but tbh you don't seem to be.

Oh yeah if you're living in one of the villages the link http://136.201.8.7 will be handy. Look for the CS4225 folder, this contains some helpful docs on how to do the project.

Thats all I have to say on the matter.

Cheers
    Rory

*Edited to to mistake in the supplied link

bit harsh doncha think rory? :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Now while the above is pretty harsh I don't want to see anybody failing or anything. I've been pretty charitable and helped people who asked me during the year especially for the Data Structures project. I've no objection to helping anyone who is making a genuine effort themselves but tbh you don't seem to be.

Quite frankly, you can get lost. You've no idea what I'm dealing with this year or how hard I'm finding everything for a number of reasons I'm not even going to get into as they're my own business.

You're extremely judgemental. The "everyone who wants to work 4 days a week is inexcusably lazy" was bad enough, and now this? This reminds me of various "Fat people are always just lazy" arguments I've gotten into which are generally backed by prejudice rather than fact.

Just because you can manage to keep ahead doesn't mean we all can. I've been bogged down and it's not my fault I'm so behind. I'm extremely ill and had to go up to a pyschiatrist in dublin last week and I still have to get referred to more people yet. This year has been hell for me so far, probably just as bad as last year if not worse.

So don't be so judgemental. Don't pretend to know things about people you don't. And get over the "Making an effort" rubbish, because really, everyone does in some form or another. Nobody expects to pass doing nothing.

Plus, it's worth 10%, ffs I should be able to get a 10% project done between tonight and tomorrow, and if I can't, then I probably wouldn't be able to do it anyway. It's not even an assigment, just a project, the other difference from most assignments being it's not something most people will be able to do without looking something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Oh look. Another comp sys thread. And another comp sys thread which descends into a row. WHAT a surprise...

• Advertisement

klong wrote:
    Oh look. Another comp sys thread. And another comp sys thread which descends into a row. WHAT a surprise...

I didn't start it :P

klong wrote:

well you did say the fora needed a row ;) :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

kaimera wrote:
    well you did say the fora needed a row ;) :v:

:D True, but this is a rubbish one, Rozie v The Rest of Comp Sys...give us some in-jokes again, at least then the rest of the board will be up in arms :D :rolleyes: (and feck it, may as well use this...:v: )

[injoke][strike]**** ma[/strike] joke!

happy? :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭budthedub

This place is brilliant for rows!?!

• Advertisement

klong wrote:
    :D True, but this is a rubbish one, Rozie v The Rest of Comp Sys...give us some in-jokes again, at least then the rest of the board will be up in arms :D :rolleyes: (and feck it, may as well use this...:v: )

So all of Comp Sys agree with what Rory said?

Well, it's not as if I thought they liked me any, either way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Rozie wrote:
    Quite frankly, you can get lost. You've no idea what I'm dealing with this year or how hard I'm finding everything for a number of reasons I'm not even going to get into as they're my own business.

You're extremely judgemental. The "everyone who wants to work 4 days a week is inexcusably lazy" was bad enough, and now this? This reminds me of various "Fat people are always just lazy" arguments I've gotten into which are generally backed by prejudice rather than fact.

Just because you can manage to keep ahead doesn't mean we all can. I've been bogged down and it's not my fault I'm so behind. I'm extremely ill and had to go up to a pyschiatrist in dublin last week and I still have to get referred to more people yet. This year has been hell for me so far, probably just as bad as last year if not worse.

So don't be so judgemental. Don't pretend to know things about people you don't. And get over the "Making an effort" rubbish, because really, everyone does in some form or another. Nobody expects to pass doing nothing.

Plus, it's worth 10%, ffs I should be able to get a 10% project done between tonight and tomorrow, and if I can't, then I probably wouldn't be able to do it anyway. It's not even an assigment, just a project, the other difference from most assignments being it's not something most people will be able to do without looking something up.

Eh that has nothing to do with anyting. Your in comp-sys, and your expected to do projects/exams whatever.

The people giving the projects and stuff dont give a s**t what personal crap your going through, they just want it done. For all you know everyone else could be going through lots of s**t right now too.
    You're extremely judgemental. The "everyone who wants to work 4 days a week is inexcusably lazy" was bad enough, and now this? This reminds me of various "Fat people are always just lazy"

4 day weeks are lazy, theres really no two ways about it. 5 day weeks are the industry norm. Up on co-op I worked a few 50+ hour weeks and didn't get over time. I put up with it anyway, cos no-one else was getting over time either.

If i'm being honest I havnt got this networks project complete either, I've got the vast majority of it done ages ago, but really coming on here 1 da before its due and asking for the spec...I dunno really, it just seems like you dont give a ****, if you did you would have found out about this 'project' (An assignment and a project are about the same thing) ages ago, and not one night before its due. Although having said that you probably do, because you wouldnt be posting otherwise.

No point complaining that comp sys is hard. Everyone knows that. 'Survival rate of a hamster in a lawnmower' is what it was described as. If you've made it into third year, you can surely put in the efffort and make it all the way

The people giving the projects and stuff dont give a s**t what personal crap your going through, they just want it done. For all you know everyone else could be going through lots of s**t right now too.

I don't see why that makes what Rory said very fair.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of logical fallacy in the "for all you know" statement, but I'm too tired to load up wikipedia.

I can't speak for everyone, but there are a number of reasons why I very much doubt the majority of people are quite as ****ed up as me right now. Not everyone has the same amount of problems and it's something you'll have to live with, I'm afraid. People generally don't like to give a **** and think they're so great, but I'm not even asking that right now.
    4 day weeks are lazy, theres really no two ways about it. 5 day weeks are the industry norm. Up on co-op I worked a few 50+ hour weeks and didn't get over time. I put up with it anyway, cos no-one else was getting over time either.

I wish people would actually say "why" it's lazy instead of making stupid statements seemingly to make themselves feel better for working the "Industry norm".

I happen to believe the industry norm is too hefty for people in general, believe there are ways to reduce it, and it doesn't give me enough breathing space to pursue what I want(getting into the comics business). We spend most our lives working, then resting from work. When I was on Co-op it was hard to do anything in my "free time" because I was tired.

Because I disagree with it, and know there are some jobs that offer it, I would like to work 4 days a week. I have strong beliefs about work and that there's far much more to life than sitting around in an office, or whatever the hell you end up doing.

I'm sorry for being so radically not-the-same-opinioned as other people here.

Quite frankly, I don't see anything wrong with it, and I don't need some snotty faced little comp syser telling me other wise. I don't evaluate someone's worth based on how much they can tolerate monotony.
    If i'm being honest I havnt got this networks project complete either, I've got the vast majority of it done ages ago, but really coming on here 1 da before its due and asking for the spec...I dunno really, it just seems like you dont give a ****, if you did you would have found out about this 'project' (An assignment and a project are about the same thing) ages ago, and not one night before its due. Although having said that you probably do, because you wouldnt be posting otherwise.

I don't see what's wrong with it. I couldn't access the CSIS share and I hadn't heard about it. I must have missed the lecture it was mentioned in. I only heard about it today, though I heard mention of there being one earlier I didn't hear about the specifics until today. Not to mention I fall asleep in most lectures, so I could well have been there. There isn't really anything I can do about that, my attention span is ****ed,

It's nothing to do with me not giving a ****. I didn't know about it, I freaked, I couldn't access the share in the CSIS, so I didn't know where else to go.

What was I meant to do?

I'm sick of "it's yer own fault" types who have no idea what they're talking about. Everyone finds things different and there's no reason to presume any one person has it anywhere near the same as the person next to them.

For reference this is the post where I allegedly made the "everyone who wants to work 4 days a week is inexcusably lazy". Now from my reading of the below I didn't make such a comment. So Rozie I would appreciate it if you didn't misquote me like that.
    rmacm wrote:
    There's plenty of other stuff to do in the IT field besides programming. E.g. Systems Analyst, Network Admin (which is what I'm hoping to do). While your aspirations may be admirable you'd be lucky to get by working a 4 day week these days.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the human race has a fetish for working endlessly and pointlessly. Most of the people I know in full time jobs can't wait to take time off. TBH I wouldn't really consider working to be pointless believe it or not I actually got a sense of satisfaction when I was on co-op out of the work I did...but hey thats just me.

Cheers
    Rory

Rozie wrote:

Thats true I haven't a clue what kind of stuff you're dealing with. Granted you've given us all a vague idea from what you've posted on borads in general previously.
    Rozie wrote:

I'll admit to being judgemental at times yes. One of my many flaws. I am being serious here in case anybody wants to take that as being sarcastic.
    I didn't make the comment you quoted there and I challange you to prove me otherwise. The only point I made is that you may find it hard to get by working 4 days a week. I know I probably couldn't afford to do it. But everyones lifestyle and by extension the cost of that lifestyle differs. If you feel you can get by on working 4 days a week go for it.
    Rozie wrote:

I know you've had considerable difficulty this year as you've mentioned this a number of times on here. I wouldn't say I've kept ahead to be honest. I've found it hard enough after coming back from co-op to get back to studying etc. You're not the only one who has had difficulty this year. You're in UL quite a lot of the time, if you have need to take time off for medical appointments thats fine obviously. I've done so myself in the past. But there's no reason not to attend lectures if you've nothing else to do.
    Rozie wrote:

I'll try not to be as judgemental in future. I haven't pretended to know anything about you other than what is in the public domain so to speak. To my mind making an effort for comp sys involves getting to lectures, tutorials and labs on some kind of regular basis. To be honest I'd love to be able to come in once every so often and still be able to pass the exams, but I know for me personally this won't work. I have missed the odd tutorial & lecture out of necessity, choice and laziness but I don't like doing it. I emphasis that I'm not being anyway judgemental toward you in saying this.
    Rozie wrote:

Me and Kaimera have essentially given you everything you need to do the project in that kaimera provided the spec and I posted the link to where the docs are on the CSIS webshare. Its up to you what you do from there Rozie.

We were told about this project a few weeks back and the lecturer informed the class as to where the spec could be found. One of the class reps also sent around an email reminding us of when it was due and offered to email the spec and documents that help with the project to anyone that didn't have them. If you checked your college email and attended some lectures you may have known this.

Cheers
    Rory

Thats true I haven't a clue what kind of stuff you're dealing with. Granted you've given us all a vague idea from what you've posted on borads in general previously.

I'm barely stable enough to be doing this course, tbh. I find it hard to even leave my room sometimes.
    I'll admit to being judgemental at times yes. One of my many flaws. I am being serious here in case anybody wants to take that as being sarcastic.
    I didn't make the comment you quoted there and I challange you to prove me otherwise. The only point I made is that you may find it hard to get by working 4 days a week. I know I probably couldn't afford to do it. But everyones lifestyle and by extension the cost of that lifestyle differs. If you feel you can get by on working 4 days a week go for it.

Two other people called it outright lazy, which I think is just being stupid.
    I know you've had considerable difficulty this year as you've mentioned this a number of times on here. I wouldn't say I've kept ahead to be honest. I've found it hard enough after coming back from co-op to get back to studying etc. You're not the only one who has had difficulty this year. You're in UL quite a lot of the time, if you have need to take time off for medical appointments thats fine obviously. I've done so myself in the past. But there's no reason not to attend lectures if you've nothing else to do.

As I said, I have trouble even leaving my room sometimes. I have the same amount of trouble getting up, not just becuase of sleeping in but because I really find it difficult to face the day ahead.

Plus, I can't go to more than 3 lectures in a day without my brain totally collapsing, at least not these lectures. I tried going to four last week I think, it really didn't work out for me.
    I'll try not to be as judgemental in future. I haven't pretended to know anything about you other than what is in the public domain so to speak. To my mind making an effort for comp sys involves getting to lectures, tutorials and labs on some kind of regular basis. To be honest I'd love to be able to come in once every so often and still be able to pass the exams, but I know for me personally this won't work. I have missed the odd tutorial & lecture out of necessity, choice and laziness but I don't like doing it. I emphasis that I'm not being anyway judgemental toward you in saying this.

I'm honestly barely able to cope. It's a serious issue and it's extremely difficult to get sorted out with the ****ty Irish medical system. I went before christmas and I still have to get set up with a shrink on a regular basis.
    Me and Kaimera have essentially given you everything you need to do the project in that kaimera provided the spec and I posted the link to where the docs are on the CSIS webshare. Its up to you what you do from there Rozie.

Thanks for that.
    We were told about this project a few weeks back and the lecturer informed the class as to where the spec could be found. One of the class reps also sent around an email reminding us of when it was due and offered to email the spec and documents that help with the project to anyone that didn't have them. If you checked your college email and attended some lectures you may have known this.

I haven't been able to get my email to work until someone got it working for me today. I posted in the other topic about it.

I probably missed the lecture it was given out in. I'm rarely able to get up for the one on tuesday, but I'm usually there for the wednesday one, and the friday tutorial every so often too.

Btw, is that on tomorrow?

~Rosie

Yeah the tutorial is on tomorrow in D1050......its on your timetable more than likely listed as a lecture but it's actually a tutorial. On at 11:00 I think. Sorry timetable is downstairs and I'm not walking down to get it.

Rozie if you are finding college that hard why don't you consider taking a year out of college if that option is open to you. It may help you sort through what it is you are going through. If not then well there aren't really any suggestions I can come up with for you.

Cheers
    Rory

rmacm wrote:
    Yeah the tutorial is on tomorrow in D1050......its on your timetable more than likely listed as a lecture but it's actually a tutorial. On at 11:00 I think. Sorry timetable is downstairs and I'm not walking down to get it.

Rozie if you are finding college that hard why don't you consider taking a year out of college if that option is open to you. It may help you sort through what it is you are going through. If not then well there aren't really any suggestions I can come up with for you.

Cheers
    Rory

I want to take a year out of college, but tbh, I'm not sure I could work either, until I get sorted, though if I had a decent enough job with not too much responsibility that wasn't too terribly repetitive, it might not be so bad.

Also, when is the assignemnt due? I'm going to have a bit between the tutorial and Paddy Healy's lecture, so I could finish it off tomorrow if I have time.

The spec doesn't specify a time Rozie only tomorrows date. So I assume anytime within reason tomorrow is fine. There's a box under the stairs in csis for it.

Ah, cool. I've spent the last few hours getting my head around subnetting, so I should be able to finish up tomorrow.

(((Group_Hug))))

:v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Guys, I know everyone finds the old arguments on here fun sometimes, but *sometimes* (like this one) they are not. I think for future ref. when it starts to look like a Rozie vs Comp Sys argument, it might be an idea to back off.

What I mean is this - lads it's really sound of you to help people, and answer Rozie's request for information. Im not trying to get at anyone here, but maybe if you kept your replies to providing the information like kaimera's initial post.

Whatever Rozie's reasons are for asking the day before the proejct is due they are HIS reasons and it is not up to anyone else to judge. If he was looking for the kind of life analysis he got here maybe he would have posted on PI which quite frankly is where most of this thread belongs.

Rozie, I am sure you are happy that people answered your question regarding the project, and I am sure you appreciate the information which the lads supplied. The point I'm making is he didn't ask for an ear bashing. Rory this is nothing personal at all but if you didn't think he *deserved* <insert more fitting word here> the information for *whatever reason* (in your opinion), then maybe it would be best to just not post.

sorry to all if that sounds harsh

kaimera wrote:
    bit harsh doncha think? :v:

kaimera wrote:

translate? the point you are making is... (sorry im thick :v: )

I was just re_hashing a post by me. I felt it was applicable :)

I really don't think I was being harsh. Certainly not compared to previous posts by others.

I know.

/me stops stirring...

kaimera wrote:
    I know.

/me stops stirring...

Fair, enough. Just one can never be too careful with these things.

[sides, *you* could hardly be offended when I mentioned that people should take your lead on it]

oh I had no reason to be at all.

just i found this stirring thingy_ma_jig while the above **** was going on and well...

kaimera wrote:
    oh I had no reason to be at all.

just i found this stirring thingy_ma_jig while the above **** was going on and well...

"thingy_ma_jig"
    let's play find the funny word...

• Advertisement

post reported. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement