Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

left the raft in the river

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

bubonicus wrote:
    I never said your life is irrelevant. I said the meaning of life is irrelevant.

That was a great post bubonicus, I do appologise for missunderstanding what you were trying to say:( ....then again, you did not exactly say it in the easiest of words.:)

There is a lot to talk about here, now I need to hit the Scottish hills myself for some peace to digest all this. However, I do agree very much with your last statement...."You need to be open to all possibilites."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hello Bubonicus,
    I would like to return to your posting. Like you I have spent 30 years at this and I am very aware that there are many things I have yet to come to grips with. Therfore, I am going to be very direct in asking these questions.

The fact of science is, we are part of the universe. The very fact we have sentient thought makes the universe sentient.

You have two interesting points here 1. The universe is sentient, how do you arrive at that conclusion? To most it would be insentient. I think most would agree that if I kick a rock the likelihood is greater that I am the one that is going to feel the pain. I do not expect to hear the rock say ouch. Yet that rock is also part of the universe and should according to what you say also be sentient?
    Number 2. the fact of science is that we are part of the universe. What fact of science and how do you define being part of the universe. I agree that as an entity, i.e human kind, we inhabit a small rock circling a sun in a small corner of the Galaxy so we could therefore be classified as being part of the Galaxy, but that is a geographical issue. That is not what I think you are implying.

All that we experience the universe experiences. If you discover something nothing else in the universe has discovered then the universe has discovered it too. So it goes back to "We are a physical representation of the universe learning to understand itself."

For this to hold true, you have to explain how the universe is sentient. Then, how we are connected to it. Being made of starstuff does not quite cut it as an answer.

If we find out what the universe is, we find out who we are. And even this might not answer our questions. Because then where did the universe come from. But we must strive to find out. Hence we should try and discover as much as possible in our short lives.

OK strait question, what have you found out so far?

As a Buddhist or a human. You need to know things on a basic scientific level. Otherwise you are making no better speculations about your life and it's origions than Buddha did. I'm not saying you need to be Stephan Hawkings or anything, but understanding how vast the universe is, humbles me. It stops me looking at humanity from a human perspective. Knowing that one day if humans don't leave earth our race will die. Then what was this conversation ever about. Then all this would be irrelevant.

I think I am quite accomplished on a scientific level. That is my job, scientific communications. I can go along with all this except for "understanding how vast the universe is, humbles me and It stops me looking at humanity from a human perspective. Why does it humble you? What other perspective is their apart from the human one. What you say here implies that in your journey you have managed to find a way to stop being a human temporarily to enable you to see things from a different perspective. That is a major accomplishment that should be shared, no?

I'm sorry Asiaprod, I'm not trying to confuse you. It's very hard to say something that seems so simple(ish) to me

You could at least try, I do. Knowledge is only knowledge as long as its shared, other wise its nothing more than a secret.

Try and stop looking at this from a Buddhist perspective. I'm not saying to stop being a Buddhist(well maybe I am)

OK, in this thread I am going to adopt a non-programmed way's of thinking, including that maybe I should stop being a Buddhist. Now please explain to me where you are coming from?

You need to be open to all possibilites. I only have ideas of who and what we are, but I'm open to all possiblities.

I believe I have accredited you with this comment in the Karma discussion. My mind is now open, I would like you to now explain to me who and what we are as you see it.

Advertisement