Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom FWA locations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

byte wrote:
    I've still to find someone who gets eircom FWA from Barnesmore in Donegal also.

I do know of a country hotel that needed to rely on FWA from Barnesmore though not sure if they went for Eircom or NWEWN, who also have FWA setup on Barnesmore.
    pm me i know of at least one hotel who has their bb from it (its actually ditched it for a faster nwe connection - also available from barnesmore ) cos its crap
    sorry didnt finish your post yes they have one of each until their contract period with eircom is up and i guess they will move both to nwe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

damien.m wrote:
    Athlone
    Ballina
    Ballinrobe
    Ballyguile
    Ballyhoura
    Ballylane
    Ballyspellan
    Barnesmore
    Beenageeha
    Belmullet
    Bralee
    Bweeng
    Campile
    Cape Clear
    Cappagh
    Cappard
    Capparoe
    Cappataggle
    Carrickmacross
    Carrigadoon
    Castlebar
    Castleblaney
    Churchfield
    City West
    Clifden
    Coolmine
    Crohaun
    Cullenagh
    Curraross
    Dame Court
    Drogheda
    Dromgold
    Drumkeeran
    Dundalk
    Dungloe
    Dunmurry Hill
    Edenderry
    Falcarragh
    Farnaght
    Fourknocks
    Gallow's Hill
    Glencoum Wood
    Glengoole
    Glenteige
    Harristown
    Inchee
    Kilbride
    Kildorrery
    Killorglin
    Kilmuckridge
    Knock Airport
    Knockaneagh
    Knockanimpha
    Knockanore
    Knockgour
    Knocknaboul
    Lisnabin
    Mallow
    Mervue
    Minnaun
    Mongorry Hill
    Mount Oriel
    Mulmosog
    Navan
    Nenagh
    Portlaoise
    Roches Street
    Rossmore Bog
    Scartbaun
    Shanettra
    Shelmaliere
    Slieve Glah
    Slieveboy
    Slievemish
    Thurles
    Tuam
    Virginia
    Whitechurch
    Woodtown
    Youghal

Can anyone help in getting GPS or map coords for these locations? How many of them are at existing exchanges?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Castlebar, Ballinrobe, Tuam and Mervue I'd say are at the exchange locations (assuming the exchange is at the base of the red & white tower). I'll PM you locations for Ballina, Farnaght, and Knock Airport. Do you prefer WGS84 or Irish Grid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

about half of them are Microwave towers on mountains

Irish lesson :D
    Words beginning with :

knock means mountain
    mweel means mountain
    mul means mountail
    been bmeans mountain
    ard means mountain
    drom means mountain
    drum means mountain

Here are some of them

Beenageeha (north of Tralee)
    Mulmosog (nw Donegal between Letterkenny and Dungloe)
    Cappataggle , half way between Aughrim and Kilricle in east Galway
    Glencoum Wood in Kilkenny , long and lat here
    Ballyguile in s wicklow lon and lat here
    carrigadoon , long and lat here

database of higher hills

http://www.indexmundi.com/zm/ei/

about half of them are co located on masts within exchange compounds where DSL is enabled, if you could remove those exchnage the rest would be easy)

The first three for example, Athlone, Ballina , Ballinrobe ,

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The first three for example, Athlone, Ballina , Ballinrobe ,
    Bzzzt. Ballina exchange doesn't have a tower. The FWA kit is on Vodafone's mast - not that far away, but not that close either.

• Advertisement

I've sent you Farnaght before, Damien. Ballina is approx. G 23722 18403.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cappataggle - (lat): 53°16'35"N, (lon): 8°24'13"W
    Athlone is on the Roslevin exchange (not Bliary)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mount Oriel: 6.5059 W, 53.7883 N. It is not an exchange.

PS the site http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/site_viewer.asp shows the National Grid Reference of most mobile sites, which are sometimes shared with eircom FWA sites. The above site was worked out with the site viewer page.

Are National Grid References of any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Wantitnow

Knockgour on that list isn't marked on the map!
    BANTRY BAY Co. CORK Knockgour 51 38 10N 10 00 33W
    I know they have a working mast there because the empty house next door to me has a FWA PSTN telephone that was installed by eircom because the owner didnt want phone wires in their view and eircom didnt want to bury them.
    The mast is 18km away with a clear LOS, the lady who used to lived there told me it was the best connection she'd ever had, but then 4kbps is average here :(

I have lately been wondering if it would be possible to get broadband on it, as there is only one other provider with a mast on knockgour - digitalforge, and they block all file sharing sites which is what I'd mainly use it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭wiredup

I live around 8km from Ballinrobe.
    I recently contacted Eircom about FWA. I got an email back telling me about satellite . I replied and said I never asked about satellite I want to know about FWA. Some guy from Eircom phoned me trying to sell me a thousand euro's worth of Sat gear and a 130+ monthly subscription. He said FWA was not available to me.

I wish there was some way to check the signal. How far does FWA work and is it true that water (lough Mask) is a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are much cheaper companies for Sat.

A path over water can do strange things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

damien.m wrote:
    The Oireachtas Committee on broadband got these answers from ComReg.
    Eircom’s National Fixed Wireless Licence
    Q16. Does ComReg validate the use of this licence?
    Yes.

The eircom Fixed Wireless Point to Multi-point Access (FWPMA) licence is an annually renewable licence, which commenced on the 15th June 2000. In order to satisfy renewal conditions, ComReg requires that eircom;
    • is in compliance with their licence conditions;
    • has paid the appropriate fees; and
    • has provided updated information to ComReg in relation to their licence
    schedules.

The annual renewal process for the FWPMA licences is similar to that of other wireless telegraphy network licences, such as GSM and 3G.

Yeah. Sure.
    Q.17 Is ComReg satisfied that this licence is being used effectively and at a reasonable cost to the consumer?

ComReg is satisfied that eircom is in compliance with its FWPMA licence conditions, up to the last renewal date (15th June 2005). In summary, eircom has licence obligations in relation to:
    • The Required Services
    • Service Quality and Performance Standards Obligations
    • Coverage and Roll-Out Targets
    • Tariffs for Required Services; and
    • Performance Guarantees

The details of eircom’s licence conditions are contained in ComReg Document 03/19R
    ComReg PDF Download.
    In relation to the cost of these services, eircom is obliged to provide tariffs for the required services at the same level and terms and conditions as similar services offered by eircom over its wired network.

I never actually read the licence in that post until this thread got bumped back up yesterday and I have made an official complaint with ComReg today by Telephone. The license clearly stipulates that Eircom must provide its FWA service at the same price as its wired equivalent (DSL). (see page 16 of the licence). I recommend backing up the licence too incase it disappears like the infamous Map.

This means they should be offering the service at €24.99 a month rather than €54.50 with free installation and not the €600+ install price tag, (which is enough to put people off the service even if the monthly price was cheap). The service is reliable and is increasing in popularity despite it's hefty price tag.

A good few subscribers are based in the Beara Peninsula and the Southern Iveragh Peninsula, being served by Knockgour (to the west of CastletownBere), ScartBaun (over Bantry Town), Capparoe (to the west of Kenmare in Templenoe) and Inchee (in Kilgarvan near the Border with Cork, located in the middle of the SWS Windfarm).

A large swathe of South West Kerry and Beara in Cork could have affordable broadband if ComReg enforced the terms of the License on Eircom. I have heard of people working up to 18 or 19KM away from these transmitters, The network is there it just needs to be made affordable to the average Joe Soap. The technology has limitations but would be better than nothing if made available to the masses as was the point of the Nationwide 3.5Ghz licence.

I will post up the results of my dealings with ComReg and I will try my best to get GPS Coordinates for the aforementioned four FWA Transmitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

netwhizkid wrote:
    I will post up the results of my dealings with ComReg and I will try my best to get GPS Coordinates for the aforementioned four FWA Transmitters.
    Don't get your hopes up. I emailed them last month to get some sort of map of the transmitter locations, possibly better than the blurry one, and got this reply:
    Dear

In relation ot the Eircom FWPMA licences due to the nature of these licences we cannot release the maps to the general public.

Regards

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Which is absolutely -ntr--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 digitalsnub

I've rang eircom up the last couple of days to try and get some information on FWA, either the sales people know nothing about it or they are told to ignore it. I was offered ISDN + a 60 hour off peak dialing package.

That's no good to me. I'm spending big money on dial-up (about 200 every 2 months, the 150 hour package is not much use). Thing is, if I had the net working at a decent speed, I wouldnt need to spend anywhere near the time I do on it.

BTW I'm on the Ballyjamesduff exchange, which has been enabled but I'm too far from the exchange.

Anyways good luck with Comreg and trying to force Eircom to sell us this product, and at a decent price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

netwhizkid wrote:
    I recommend backing up the licence too incase it disappears like the infamous Map.

I got this after clicking the link:
    The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:
    If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    Open the www.comreg.ie home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    HTTP 404 - File not found
    Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)
    More information:
    Microsoft Support

brim4brim wrote:
    I got this after clicking the link:

A bit of an error on my part in the post there brim4brim,

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0319R.pdf

is the correct URL,

I can't edit it out of my post, Maybe a mod can?

Anyway I thought I had a case of Deja vu on my hands again. Luckily I have it backed up in case. I rang them again today after they never got back to me (surprise surprise) and they told me I will hear from them soon and it is being looked into at an important level and is being taken very seriously. Hopefully it will bear some fruit as it would be great if they enforced the T&C's and made Eircom offer it as fixed line rates of €24.99 a month ala entry level DSL broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kaygee

With your dealing with Comreg?
    I have been using FWA since '04 and now realise I have been paying over the odds all that time. I have also written to Comreg asking what the situation is and if they will enforce Eircom to stick to their T&C's of the licence. Also, would I be able to retrospectively demand a refund of the overpayments (i.e. over the 24.99 of their equivalent wired product) of the 45.00 plus VAT I have been paying since I connected with them.
    I will keep you informed of my progress

kaygee wrote:
    With your dealing with Comreg?
    I have been using FWA since '04 and now realise I have been paying over the odds all that time. I have also written to Comreg asking what the situation is and if they will enforce Eircom to stick to their T&C's of the licence. Also, would I be able to retrospectively demand a refund of the overpayments (i.e. over the 24.99 of their equivalent wired product) of the 45.00 plus VAT I have been paying since I connected with them.
    I will keep you informed of my progress

Hi kaygee and welcome to boards.ie :)

I actually made a fair bit of progress, ComReg were fairly sympathetic to my plight and after several phone calls, they done some internal rummaging only to tell me that they are powerless to do anything on it.

However the Competition Regulator Amendment Bill when passed into legislation will give ComReg the power to tackle Eircom on this issue and I am hoping that it might provide the catalyst required. I even raised it Bertie himself personally face to face last Thursday. About 90% of Eircom staff are unaware of the existence of FWA so well are Eircom trying to conceal this service.

How is the FWA working?

I only used it once ever and I got 500Kbps down and 60kbps up with around 40ms pinging www.boards.ie

Also if you don't mind me asking; How far are you from the Transmitter? I am about 4Kms direct line of sight from my nearest transmitter and cannot pick up a useable signal due to the fact that a new Wind Turbine Farm is disrupting the signal and it was picked up once ever and that was when the blades were stopped turning on the turbines.

I haven't even heard from Comreg since I emailed them. Typical response!!
    I am very happy with FWA except for the speed. They also put my PSTN on the FWA (seperately) when they were putting in the broadband. Except for a couple of outages it is as good as I could have expected it to be for 512/64.
    I am roughly 5.5km from the transmitter as the crow flies and I have perfect LOS. The antenna is at the top of an old ESB pole that I planted in my back yard as I couldn't get LOS from my gable end. Just for your information, the transmitter is at co-ordinates 53º 07'N, 07º 27'W. I don't know what the contention ratio is, I think it is meant to be 16. There used to be a link from the eircom.ie website to a page with some information but that seems to have disappeared.
    I have just ran a speed test using http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php and the d/l speed is 438kbps, u/l speed is 60.2kbps and round rip time is 55ms.
    Let me know if you hear any more and I will do likewise...

• Advertisement

I just had a call from a guy in Eircom who has had a call from ComReg and now they have acknowledged my complaint re overcharging.
    As far as I can make out, they are checking my account details and I should be receiving a rebate from Eircom for the overcharging of the FWA since I subscribed to this service - I am not holding my breath though!!!
    I will update this forum when (and if) I hear any more...

kaygee.

Got a letter from Eircom to say the charges for my FWA are being reduced to 24.99 from July. Didn't get a rebate, they say that this is a commercial decision and they have not broken the terms of their licence. Better late than never I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I would not settle for that. They have overcharged you and you are entitled to a refund plus interest.

If comreg are not willing to tackle them contact a solicitor and add his bill to the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

kaygee wrote:
    Got a letter from Eircom to say the charges for my FWA are being reduced to 24.99 from July. Didn't get a rebate, they say that this is a commercial decision and they have not broken the terms of their licence. Better late than never I suppose....

Does this mean that they're reducing the cost to everybody down to 24.99/mo, or just for you? At that price I'd nearly consider it myself. Nearly.

Advertisement