Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the brits trying to offload lame NI counties to us?

Options
  • 22-11-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching all this local government reorganisation that's coming soon to a province near you and I can't help but get the feeling that the british government are trying to partition NI into green and orange councils with a view to offloading the biggest subsidy suckers west of the Bann to us in the south. They are eliminating the current 26 district councils and replacing them with Belfast City Council and 6 other 'super' councils (which will probably roughly follow the old county boundaries). The 3 west of the Bann will be green counties, no doubt and the 3 to the east will be orange, again, no doubt.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I bet HMG would just love to ditch 3 NI counties and keep the only ones with a half decent infrastructure and the prospects to actualy support themselves. We in Leinster and Cork are already supporting our own 3 Ulster counties, we really don't need to support another 3 IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

murphaph wrote:
    We in Leinster and Cork are already supporting our own 3 Ulster counties.

explain, your statement confuses me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maccor

this whole 'subsidy suckers' **** annoys me. what the hell does that mean?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

About time there was a reorganisation. NI must be the most bureaucratic and most governed place in the world. Even the health boards have a north, south, east and west regions. Keeps everyone busy I suppose.

is murphaph some kind of expert on the economy of the north or something with inside info the rest of us dont know, or is he/she just someone who doesnt like the north? I find the OP in bad taste tbh.

though agreed - its very burocratic up there. still, thats what happens when you create a place that cant exist on its own just to prop up some unionist agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

tba wrote:
    explain, your statement confuses me
    None of the 3 RoI Ulster counties can support their spending through taxes raised within their own boundaries. Same goes for all of Connaught and a lot of Munster. Cork pays for itself and these poorer (only in tax revenue-they aren't poor counties) counties as does nearly every county in Leinster.

maccor wrote:
    this whole 'subsidy suckers' **** annoys me. what the hell does that mean?:confused:
    It means that those counties cannot support the level of government spending they receive, so they are subsidsed by other parts of the UK.

maccor wrote:
    is murphaph some kind of expert on the economy of the north or something with inside info the rest of us dont know
    It's all freely available and in the public domain. NI requires massive subsidies (much like most of the BMW region) to exist in it's current incarnation. The poorest regions are all west of the Bann. They don't have any decent infrastructure there-it's pretty much all centred on Belfast.
    maccor wrote:
    or is he/she just someone who doesnt like the north?
    Why are you trying to personalise a socio-economic thread? I'm talking politics and economics and you're on about "liking NI". Irrelevant.
    maccor wrote:
    I find the OP in bad taste tbh.
    Why? There are major political changes afoot in NI and this is boards.ie/politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

I think the brits did a fantastic job with the north when you consider the sh1t they had to put up with for 30 years. They pumped money into the place and managed to keep the whole thing going.

Granted looking at the north now its a bit of a mess. There is an over reliance on the public sector to put it midly. The north needed all those public sector jobs since there was no private sector.

Things are looking better for the north now post de-commisioning and it only makes sense to follow the Republic's sucessfull and efficent model. (i.e 6 county councils and one city council for belfast)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dublin and Cork are the best excuses for citys we have in this country, as such people from these 'subsidy sucking' countys move there to make money for themselves and their country.

I'm from Donegal and am here working in Dublin as there's not much on offer for what I want to do in Donegal. Am I a subsidy sucker?

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    I'm from Donegal and am here working in Dublin as there's not much on offer for what I want to do in Donegal. Am I a subsidy sucker?
    No. You're from a sparsely populated county and have moved to a city to find employment, just like millions of people all over the world-standard practice. That's why cities exist of course and if we all wished to live and work within a few miles of where we grew up then human society would never move on as nobody would interact with anybody else and we'd be left with an agrarian society. Cities are a fact of life and I don't mind that city dwellers like you and I are subsidising children's education and healthcare etc. in places like Donegal, but we are subsidising enough as it is and we don't need to subsidise another 3 counties west of the Bann.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Grand. You're orignal post came accross as slightly elitist.

I aggree that they shouldn't be allowed to simply pick the best of the bunch and throw us the leftovers.

blair: here bertie have some counties..
    bertie: can I have some more sir...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

murphaph wrote:
    They are eliminating the current 26 district councils and replacing them with Belfast City Council and 6 other 'super' councils (which will probably roughly follow the old county boundaries).

No. According to the BBC the merge will be as follows:

1. Belfast - as is.
    2. North Down, Castlereagh, Ards, Down (basically east Co Down and a bit of Co Antrim)
    3. Lisburn, Antrim Borough, Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus (south-east Co Antrim and a bit of Co Down)
    4. Coleraine, Moyle, Ballymoney, Ballymena, Larne (north Co Antrim and a bit of Co L'derry)
    5. Strabane, Derry, Limavady, Magherafelt (most of Co L'derry, a bit of west Co Antrim, and north Co Tyrone)
    6. Fermanagh, Dungannon, Omagh, Cookstown (Co Fermanagh, most of Co Tyrone, a bit of west Co Armagh)
    7. Armagh, Craigavon, Newry and Mourne, Banbridge (most of Co Armagh and a bit of south-west Co Down).

So it isn't based on the counties - which makes sense due to the big difference in populations. The councils will be unitary - like the existing ones. This is different to the Republic and much of England, where there are usually different layers of council. E.g. Athlone is covered by Westmeath Co Council and Athlone Town Council.

Derry City Council will be abolished under this (thus solving the council naming issue!), though we don't know what the new name for the area's council will be. I can't find any new names. Maybe they'll use compass points - so we'd have North-West Council or similar. Or maybe they'd use old names from history. Dalriada, anyone?

And in response to the original question:

1. I don't think this makes a United Ireland any more or any less likely.
    2. The NI counties aren't lame, thank you very much. Even in the 80s they were much better off than those in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

Nonsense. The remaining three counties wouldn't be able to support themselves. Thats why Craig didn't just take them at the start even though they would give a clear Unionist majority. Ireland should only take all 6. As mentioned earlier the Unionist counties have the better infrastrucute (wonder why?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

No way would i accept repartition based on giving us back 3 counties. They insisted on forcing catholic areas into NI so now they have to deal with the consequences of their greed; a significant nationalist minority and the fact that their protestant state for protestants will cease to exist shortly after catholics overtake them. repartitioning the north east to create another unionist dominated province with a new inbuilt majority would be like letting the unionists have their cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Diorraing wrote:
    Nonsense. The remaining three counties wouldn't be able to support themselves. Thats why Craig didn't just take them at the start even though they would give a clear Unionist majority. Ireland should only take all 6. As mentioned earlier the Unionist counties have the better infrastrucute (wonder why?)

Im not sure about not being able to support themselves. after all, look at gibraltor and luxembourg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont see any deals being done, sure Gerry would be appalled at being cut off, maybe if the Falls road had an opt-out!

I was listening to someone from NI talking on BBC radio today and he stated that NI had 25,000 people on the job-seekers allowance which sounded remarkably low. If there is nearly full employment then cutting back the public service now makes sense.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

The northern ireland economy has been doing pretty good in fairness. Its an excellent time to get rid of all the extra buraracy and stimulate the private sector.

The british government said that it will plough back the money into the north so they should notice some extra cash around.

The north should be nearly able to break even if the british government made a concerted effort at it. Some new jobs and cost cutting and things should surely improve.

They should also continue to establish links with the south, power lines, availing of hospitals, all anything else that can cut down overheads.

Similarly we should do the same. For example, those people in Monaghan should head up to Armagh etc etc.

Any talk of a single country on this island should be by the consent of 80% or more on both sides of the border. Dividing up parts of the north and changing over to the republic is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

murphaph wrote:
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, but
    We in Leinster and Cork are already supporting our own 3 Ulster counties.

With a little editing of your post, I think its clear you have answered your own question.

• Advertisement

Mike, I hope to God you're right and there's no secret agenda to partition NI. Things are fine the way they are.

Richard, the 3 counties west of the Bann are economically lame, just like Donegal and Leitrim etc.

In the 1980's you'd have been hard pressed to find anywhere in Europe with worse economies than the RoI. It was bleak, bleak and some more bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Bloodychancer

murphaph wrote:
    Mike, I hope to God you're right and there's no secret agenda to partition NI. Things are fine the way they are.

Richard, the 3 counties west of the Bann are economically lame, just like Donegal and Leitrim etc.

In the 1980's you'd have been hard pressed to find anywhere in Europe with worse economies than the RoI. It was bleak, bleak and some more bleak.

Perhaps you would like us to repartition the other way given your obvious disdain for the "subsidy suckers"in Donegal Monaghan Cavan and Connaught but why stop at Provinces and counties perhaps we should evaluate on a town by town or street by street or maybe House by House basis. We could hive off all the subsidy sucking unemployed, old, sick, disabled etc etc who are dragging us all down. If the Brits wont take them perhaps we could build camps for them while we figure out a "Final Solution".
    Yes an economy like that could rule for a 1000 years just healthy non subsidy sucking Pure Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No real comment but have to say that is the best thread title I have seen in a long time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

We could hive off all the subsidy sucking unemployed, old, sick, disabled etc etc who are dragging us all down.

Don't be stupid ... just put them to work in the underground sugar mines ...

(yes I am a bit drunk)

Perhaps you would like us to repartition the other way given your obvious disdain for the "subsidy suckers"in Donegal Monaghan Cavan and Connaught but why stop at Provinces and counties perhaps we should evaluate on a town by town or street by street or maybe House by House basis. We could hive off all the subsidy sucking unemployed, old, sick, disabled etc etc who are dragging us all down. If the Brits wont take them perhaps we could build camps for them while we figure out a "Final Solution".
    Yes an economy like that could rule for a 1000 years just healthy non subsidy sucking Pure Irish people.
    You immediately lept on my expression about subsidy sucking counties and turned it into a statement about the inhabitants of those counties themselves. I accept that regions of every country will be less productive and require a subsidy from the more productive regions, but why would we want even more subsidy sucking counties to subsidise when we have plenty as it is?! This thread is about the long term intentions of the british wrt Northern Ireland and whether or not their latest local government reorganisation has an alterior motive. It's interesting that ONLY SF support this initiative which will create 3 nationalist councils which they will dominate and 3 unionist which will likely be dominated by the DUP, none of the other parties in NI support this initiative, not the SDLP or Alliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

murphaph wrote:
    I bet HMG would just love to ditch 3 NI counties and keep the only ones with a half decent infrastructure and the prospects to actualy support themselves.

Of course they would, the place has huge reliance on public sector jobs and costs UK taxpayers about 4 billion a year or something...

At a time when the UK economy is slowing down as well...

murphaph wrote:
    It's interesting that ONLY SF support this initiative which will create 3 nationalist councils which they will dominate and 3 unionist which will likely be dominated by the DUP, none of the other parties in NI support this initiative, not the SDLP or Alliance.
    Why is it interesting?
    The set up as it is amounts to a bureocratic gravy train with little or no sense to it.
    Theres only 1.7 million people there and they have like 26 councils amongst other quangos...

You've started this thread with a conspiracy theory about this being a move to integrate the west of the Bann into the ROI without any proof, so perhaps thats where it belongs.

Moved to the conspiracy the0ries board.

I heard the English found oil under Belfast and thats why they are keeping a tighter hold on the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

tba wrote:
    I heard the English found oil under Belfast and thats why they are keeping a tighter hold on the city...

If they had, the Americans would have liberated Belfast centuries ago.

• Advertisement

Operation
    Irish
    Liberation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement