Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who do you think you play like?

Options
  • 21-11-2005 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

This may prove to be interesting... it may be a disaster:o
    If it proves to fall under the former then i'll file it under "seemed like a good idea at the time!"

Right, hypothetical situation.....
    you somehow get interviewed/reviewed by a magazine and the writer wants to give the reader an idea of how you play and sound and describes your playing as a mixture between *instert soundalike* and*insert soundalike*.

how would you like your playing style to be described?

eg. Josh Homme and Andy Cairns...

I think this would give a good indication of where you think you are as a player and where you're going....:v:

(if your choices are obscure then please name their respective bands)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Kirk Hammett. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Like a rather sloppy player trying to play like Chuck Schuldiner and John Petrucci.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I get told I sound a bit like Kevin Shields but at the moment it's verging more towards Stephen O'Malley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

only playing for a year,i'm aiming for clapton,just learn't cocaine and leyla over the week sweeeeeet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hmmm... Somewhere between Kerry Kind and Mikael Akerfeldt methinks wouldn't be a bad estimation of my writing style, with various other little influences that might be just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Somewhere across between an arthritic 80-year-old and a retarded 6-year-old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Somewhere across between an arthritic 80-year-old and a retarded 6-year-old.

So... the guitarists from Korn then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I'd say i'm a mix of Lemmy, Cliff Burton and Tim Commerford with a little bit of Jaco thrown in,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Now that was under the belt

Well, they're hardly the epitome of instrumental genius now are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I dunno, I'm not familiar with the screaming oh-look-at-me-I'm-ever-so-evil kind of rock/metal/whatever. (with the possible exceptions of Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson)
    Pfff, what can I say, my fingers just don't bend that way... damn barre chords have me defeated tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

Well, they're hardly the epitome of instrumental genius now are they?

not all good guitarists are in instrumental stuff..........:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

feylya wrote:
    Kirk Hammett. That is all.

keep reaching for that rainbow bud:D !!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Doc_Savage wrote:
    keep reaching for that rainbow bud:D !!!

OK, Eddie.

Doc_Savage wrote:
    not all good guitarists are in instrumental stuff..........:cool:

I meant geniuses on their instruments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

My writing would be Matt Skiba-ish

But ive been told i sound like Graham Coxon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I'd like to say Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dave Gilmore and Carlos Santana. But I'd be more like Suger Ray Leonard, Happy Gilmore and Roberto Carlos. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

i play like me
    ****e!!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

my old teacher said my technique is similar to Rory Gallagher, i'm not really a fan and can't play any of his songs, so that's purely coincidental.

Regards to my music, it's quite a mixture... check my sig:) A mixture of clapton, Morello, maybe a bit of page(hopefully!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

LundiMardi wrote:
    my old teacher said my technique is similar to Rory Gallagher, i'm not really a fan and can't play any of his songs, so that's purely coincidental.

Regards to my music, it's quite a mixture... check my sig:) A mixture of clapton, Morello, maybe a bit of page(hopefully!)

I did say there wass a healthy dose of Stevie Ray and Slash in there too! :D

• Advertisement

ah yeah, can't forget the old slash and SRV!

Ya see, you can't really hear any slash influence in my music though, or at least i don't think ya can, but that's ok.. as it would look weird playing slash style on a strat... it's just wrong!!

As soon as i get a les paul though..... WATCH OUT!!!

anyone wanna give me a LP:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I'm a bit of Greg Ginn (Black Flag) and J Mascis. With a hint of Krieger.

LundiMardi wrote:

Rory's who I was thinking of on Thursday night listening to you.

John2 wrote:
    really? was this a gig or were you listening to our tracks?

Strange

John2 wrote:
    and if this was at the gig, was i speaking to you?

LundiMardi wrote:
    and if this was at the gig, was i speaking to you?

Yes, I was the guy who spent the night running to the bass amp whenever it died and held the kick drum in place for the last band. The highly stressed guy with the beard essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'd love to be described as Jaco Pastorious, Vic Wooten, Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan, Les Claypool and Marcus Miller rolled into one. :D

John2 wrote:
    Yes, I was the guy who spent the night running to the bass amp whenever it died and held the kick drum in place for the last band. The highly stressed guy with the beard essentially.
    ah jaysus, i wish people would tell me these things!! ha... nice to meet ya man;)

I presumed Frankie had mentioned it. What a jerk! And come to think of it, he kept calling me Kealy all night, not even John.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 frux

This is what people say so you never know! I wish it is true that I sound like Steve Vai, Jason Becker, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci or Marty Friedman but hopefully with my own flavor! :D
    (you listen and tell me! ;))

Advertisement