Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD versus Intel

Options
  • 17-11-2005 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

On performance, who makes the best chips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

please, close this thread.
    it's just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

god this could be a long thread.
    In my opinion the AMD 64bit Socket 939 processors are prob the best around for value and performance, u'd have to pay through the nose for a 64bit Intel chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

spitfier wrote:
    Gilgamesh wrote:
    please, close this thread.
    it's just not worth it

Hehe! Welcome to Boards.ie Spitfier :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

AMD. Without a doubt.

Intel really dropped the ball on all fronts but the mobile sector in the last generation or so.
    Performance per watt, per clock or per unit cost is pretty bad compared to AMDs.
    And there's that annoying Intel ding-ding-DING on Dell ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spitfier

Why thankyou :) And I know it's a touchy subject with some people but from what I've heard you get more for your buck with AMD. I'm building my dream system someday soon when I receive my college grant. I'm going to put 2/3K into the machine :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

omg sooo old

well if ur playing sonic the hedgehog when hes running down a hill , the amd fx57 is teh the best

however playing super mario wolrd when he has yoshi then the intel extreme edition is ur friend

xbox sux , playstation is teh the best and so on and so fourth

the real quesiton is strawberries vs oranges which one is better and faster?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

they are both great, with the exception of celeron

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd pick the Pentium M as the best out there on a single core, and no doubt the AMD dualcores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Inquitus wrote:
    I'd pick the Pentium M as the best out there on a single core, and no doubt the AMD dualcores

Yup agree totally. Dothan is the best single core chip out there ATM and Opterons in particular are the best dual core chips!
    All that being said my next system is going to be S754(",) Cause I can build a 754system for half the price and get 90%of the performance anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Depends on what it'll be used for but as a general rule AMD ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

AMD....no no wait Intel.......no no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...AMD....no no wait Intel.......no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...AMD....no no wait Intel.......no no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...AMD....no no wait Intel.......no no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...AMD....no no wait Intel.......no no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...AMD....no no wait Intel.......no no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...AMD....no no wait Intel.......no no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...AMD....no no wait Intel.......no no wait AMD.....no no its Intel......no AMD....no no Intel...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Cyrix tbh

Ooo transmeta with x86translation ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ConnD3mned

magick wrote:

the real quesiton is strawberries vs oranges which one is better and faster?!

Strawberries are so much faster than oranges. Even the thought of comparing them on speed is ridiculous.

WizZard wrote:
    Cyrix tbh

VIA C7 + Padlock whips the píss out of hi-end P4s on AES cipher tasks, so - dependent on application - they are better :v:

SyxPak wrote:
    VIA C7 + Padlock whips the píss out of hi-end P4s on AES cipher tasks, so - dependent on application - they are better :v:

especially if you go all nostalgic and want to play Need for Speed 2, which doesn't work on my Pentium D 840 Rig, schnief schnief

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ah this thread has been done many a time over. It all depends what u wana do.

answer is - google it :D

sionnach wrote:
    Depends on what it'll be used for but as a general rule AMD ftw

I want to use it for high-end gaming, alot of DVD shrinking, ripping and burning and converting DivX to DVD-R. I also would like to be able to download multiple torrents without making my system creep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If you want to do a lot of DivXing / MPEGing / Ripping and playing games at the same time there is no option other than the X2, to be honest. If you get the X2 3800+ or 4200+ I'd say youd be very happy with gaming and multitasking performance.

As for the torrent thing, if you're using Azureus and it slows your system down like mad, it's because azureus is absolute crap bloatware. Use uTorrent, every useful feature that azureus has and about 1/10 as much resource usage. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

As for the torrent thing, if you're using Azureus and it slows your system down like mad, it's because azureus is absolute crap bloatware. Use uTorrent, every useful feature that azureus has and about 1/10 as much resource usage. :D

If azureus slows your system down it means you don't have it configured properly. Having said that Azureus went to pants about 3 releases ago, haven't tried uTorrent I'll give that a gander...

I'll give uTorrent a try when I build my new rig. Komplett have a nice AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 2MB, BOXED w/fan going at €530 here.

I have got it set up right Plankmonkey, it's just notorious for it's ridiculously high RAM and Processor usage. It's grand on my PC, but if it wasnt grand on a 2.3ghz processor with a gig of RAM I'd be worried. Blame it on Java tbh.

Saying Java's great because it runs on multiple latforms is like saying anal sex is great because it works on both sexes.

LOL, that is one excellent analogy for Java. I hate the POS with a passion. Sun should be strung up for ever conceiving it.

If you want to do a lot of DivXing / MPEGing / Ripping and playing games at the same time there is no option other than the X2, to be honest. If you get the X2 3800+ or 4200+ I'd say youd be very happy with gaming and multitasking performance.

okay, now I probably am going to pick a fight.
    In gaming the AMDs are defo the superior.
    but if you have an AMD X2 processor, could you tell me how long it takes you to shrink a DVD, using DVDShrink 4.2 and including a deep Analysis.

it takes my Rig 27 minutes run run the whole thing, and the DVD is not cached on the HDD, but is been ripped from the DVD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just wait a wee while and the SUN x86 compatible chips will be along.

gline wrote:
    ah this thread has been done many a time over. It all depends what u wana do.

answer is - google it :D

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=AMD&word2=Intel

Never trust google :v: :v:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

AMD
    athlon 64 3000+ = Best processer ever:D

Best value

Best performance

Best support

Best Forum forums.amd.com

look at this benchie of a overclocked athlon 64 3000, with overclocked OCZ platinium Rev 2, as you can see it beats a high end P4 system, a rake of P4s and a fx 51

specs2wk.th.jpg

• Advertisement

Gilgamesh wrote:
    it takes my Rig 27 minutes run run the whole thing, and the DVD is not cached on the HDD, but is been ripped from the DVD.

I think it makes a difference how big the DVD that your shrinking is?

Advertisement