Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Den

Options
  • 15-11-2005 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

It's a simple premise. Five prominent businessmen/women sit in a converted loft and listen to pitches from up-and-coming entrepreneurs who are hoping for a cash investment in return for a % of their business. The 5 'dragons' listen to the pitch and then give their verdicts (and occasionally their money) to the participants.

One one hand it's great comedy as you look upon some of the ridiculous ideas and the even stupider people who present them. The dragons are merciless (and funny) with their verdicts and occasionally have participants reduced to tears or pools of sweat.

On the other hand when a good idea/business plan presents itself gripping drama ensues as the dragons try to get as high a % of the punters company as they can.

I can't say I've ever intentionally sat down to watch an ep but I do find myself always stopping on it when ever I'm channel-surfing. So, anyone here watch this show?

Who is your favourite Dragon? 39 votes

Peter Jones
    0% 0 votes
    Theo Paphitis
    35% 14 votes
    Doug Richard
    17% 7 votes
    Duncan Bannatyne
    17% 7 votes
    Rachel Elnaugh
    23% 9 votes
    Simon Woodroffe (Series 1)
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've watched it a few times, although I never know when it's on.
    It's interesting stuff... a dose of reality for anyone thinking of pitching an idea.
    If you don't have your shít together they'll tear you to shreds.

I'm in two minds about this show really... on one hand, you've got the snotty gloating rich business dicks who probably only own businesses because daddy left a large estate and plenty of startup capital for their previous 10 failed business ideas.
    And on the other hand, you've got the naive hopefuls who didn't come prepared for all the tough questions... watching them squirm is a kind of sick pleasure... like shooting puppies out of a cannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I utterly despise these investment guru shows. No real reason....I just don't like to see this bunch of rich sh*theads sitting about waiting for some poor pleb to come along with a good idea and make the f*ckers even more money.
    That apprentice show and it's clones similarly annoy me...

Ooh the apprentice, is that the show with Donald Trump?
    I fuickng hate that programme, everyone in compettition to see who can be the biggest brown-nose, "killer instinct" corporate wh0re.
    That's right you consumer zombie bitches, sell your soul for the crumbs from Donald Trumps table... money = happiness, just keep repeating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Brilliant show and great watching for anyone thinking of starting their own business.
    Amazing to see how confident people are in some terrible ideas.
    Not really comparible to The Apprentice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I fuickng hate that programme, everyone in compettition to see who can be the biggest brown-nose, "killer instinct" corporate wh0re.
    That's right you consumer zombie bitches, sell your soul for the crumbs from Donald Trumps table... money = happiness, just keep repeating that.

rofl

Meant to watch it the other night...I like analysing the ideas myself to see if I can see the potential in them.

It is a bit masochistic I admit, but if it isnt them funding ideas its only going to be other VCs or business angels shooting them down if all other avenues are closed, so they might as well get a bit of publicity on BBC and perhaps allow others to learn something as well from watching the show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I came across it by accident the other night and was hooked!
    One woman just collapsed in tears (some business woman eh!)
    In the end 4 of the 'dragons' were fighting over one idea.

FYI: The new series of Dragons Den starts tonight at 8pm on BBC2 ... (or so the ad would have me believe!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nah I think its ep2 tonight. They have a new bloke this year, that fella who owns Millwall, Theo something or other. He replaces that creepy looking bloke from last year with the NoddyHolder sideburns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

It's my favourite programme. If one of the dragons was interested in an idea I had I'd grab it with both hands. They offer far more than money. Most of the people who have appeared on the programme are emotionally attached to their business who renders them useless at taking up the dragons on their offers. So what if they want 40% rather than 20%. I'd gladly have a dragon on board with the expertise and contacts that cannot be bought. 60% of a big pot is a lot better than 80% of a small, struggling pot.

The only thing I wish they change about this show is the order of the pitches. ie they always seem to have the succesful deal at the end of the show and the recjected offer in the middle etc

It's still good as it is but it'd be better if you didn't know that the 'good business plan' is coming up now etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I agree with you pigman, they should change the order.
    Its a great show though, did you see last night? Didn't that guy with the loo flusher have a serious attitude problem!

(I could be wrong) but I think that's just the way they go on in Yorkshire. They don't like be preached to by southern softies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Love this show!

The the thing I felt they forgot to point out to the 'Bedlam' fella was that until you actually solve the puzzle you can't just put the pieces neatly away into the box when you're not playing with it

At least with the rubiks cube whether you've solved it or not it's just one neat piece that can tidied away nicely.

Still tho, just from lookng at it I'd probably buy a Bedlam myself so the guy is probably onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Pigman II wrote:
    The the thing I felt they forgot to point out to the 'Bedlam' fella was that until you actually solve the puzzle you can't just put the pieces neatly away into the box when you're not playing with it
    I was saying that last nite too....at least the Rubix cube is one piece & pieces can't get lost like they can with the Bedlam cube....I think it's a nice idea & very cheap too but I think the Rubix cube was an original idea and that helped it's success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

magnumlady wrote:
    I agree with you pigman, they should change the order.
    Its a great show though, did you see last night? Didn't that guy with the loo flusher have a serious attitude problem!
    Haha... That was cringeworthy... He was more eco-warrior than buisness man :D

gobby wrote:
    Haha... That was cringeworthy... He was more eco-warrior than buisness man :D
    true... it was such a needy idea, but more for "humanity" than for greedy big business.

BTW, what did you think of the Style Bible?
    She was torn to shreds by Doug and couldnt really defend herself.
    It's worth checking out http://www.stylebible.com/editors_letter.aspx - thats her website and she's included a little blog on the episode! :D

whiskeyman wrote:
    true... it was such a needy idea, but more for "humanity" than for greedy big business.

BTW, what did you think of the Style Bible?
    She was torn to shreds by Doug and couldnt really defend herself.
    It's worth checking out http://www.stylebible.com/editors_letter.aspx - thats her website and she's included a little blog on the episode! :D

That says it all really. A main page of her 'business' website is a blog! A blog that seems to consist entirely of defending her performance and slagging off a show that has probably done more to increase her chances of ever getting her 'business' off the ground (thru exposure alone) than anything she'll ever offer it.

Clearly the whole thing is just some vanity project to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Looks like the bedlam dude never took the money and didn't secure a deal with the dragons.

http://www.bedlampuzzles.com/bedlamcube-pr.asp

quarryman wrote:
    Looks like the bedlam dude never took the money and didn't secure a deal with the dragons.

http://www.bedlampuzzles.com/bedlamcube-pr.asp

Interesting...
    Apart from Hamleys, FAOs and smaller artsy shops, I cant see it taking off.
    However, he'll probably make enough on the back of those stores alone!
    It aint no rubix cube!
    Besides, we've all seen many cube type, and other, puzzles come and go...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

whiskeyman wrote:
    Interesting...
    Apart from Hamleys, FAOs and smaller artsy shops, I cant see it taking off.
    However, he'll probably make enough on the back of those stores alone!
    It aint no rubix cube!
    Besides, we've all seen many cube type, and other, puzzles come and go...

I'd say he will reach his target sales alright (what was it again, 20 or 30% of the units of Rubik's Cubes sold) and good luck to him. It reminded me of those Krypton Factor puzzles.

alleepally wrote:
    I'd say he will reach his target sales alright (what was it again, 20 or 30% of the units of Rubik's Cubes sold) and good luck to him. .

The sadest thing is Erno Rubik (inventor of the rubiks cube) only took out patents in his native Hungary (rather than worldwide) so afaik he never got any money from the vast majority of the 300,000,000 Rubiks cubes sold.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting that biog but it also appears that Danny Bamping wasn't involved in the creation of the Bedlam Cube (that was Bruce Bedlam - surely not a real name? :confused::) ) so I hope whoever the inventor this time round is gets a decent cut of the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pigman II wrote:
    The sadest thing is Erno Rubik (inventor of the rubiks cube) only took out patents in his native Hungary (rather than worldwide) so afaik he never got any money from the vast majority of the 300,000,000 Rubiks cubes sold.
    Aren't there loads of cases of that happening to inventors?
    One kinda similar story is of the guy that invented the 'HOLD' button on Slot Machines, never got a patent and as result never got a penny. On the other hand the guy thay invented the 'NUDGE' button did and earned a fortune.

Pigman II wrote:
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting that biog but it also appears that Danny Bamping wasn't involved in the creation of the Bedlam Cube (that was Bruce Bedlam - surely not a real name? :confused::) ) so I hope whoever the inventor this time round is gets a decent cut of the profits.
    Yeah, kinda got that impression too. I wonder if Danny Bamping just bought the rights to the Cube from Bruce Bedlam?

Anyway, I think the Cube is a great idea especially the fact that it can be branded to different companies.

B.

Another brilliant show tonight.
    thought the guy with his "mobile box" was having a laugh :D

The guy from Elite fitness (or something) trying to get investment for his own nutrition products was really chancing his arm, going that his other business could be the sole buyer.

Was very surprised at the woman at the end... I have to admit, I laughed at her at first, but am intriged as to what Peter Jones sees in the business.
    More info here http://www.trulymadlybaby.co.uk/aboutus/index.php?sec=aboutus&sub=dragons_den

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

I missed a lot of tonights show. Seen the woman at the end though. Was a bit suprised at the lads going for that. Also, they were undercutting each other. Peter Jones won too. (Knew he would)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I love this programme. I have it set on series link on Sky +. I find it really funny at times and generally highly interesting. Must go and watch the latest episode actually....

whiskeyman wrote:
    but am intriged as to what Peter Jones sees in the business.
    More info here http://www.trulymadlybaby.co.uk/aboutus/index.php?sec=aboutus&sub=dragons_den

He didn't invest for the profit. He's only in it out of convenience.

You see I've heard Peter Jones has to eat a newborn baby every morning in order to keep his edge (and his teeth pearly white). ;)

==

Anyway I'm surprised yer woman got a deal in the end. She seemed a bit 'pie in the sky' but fair play to her for getting the 75k.

The Elite fitness guy was a total tool. Giving a bad pitch is one thing but thinking you can hoodwink them with a business plan like that is a bit much.

And what about that fella with £4m in the bank looking for a handout from the dragons? :rolleyes:

Pigman II wrote:
    And what about that fella with £4m in the bank looking for a handout from the dragons? :rolleyes:

That was classic!! :D

I'd say he wanted to come on the show for publicity alone.
    Did they even mention his product?

A great thing to do is check the websites of all the products that appear.. most will have a blog from the person giving their feedback on the show and possible deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Last nights episode was funny. It's one of the best programmes on the BBC at the moment. Although I had to watch some of the Shakespeare Re-told in work, not something I would sit down to, and it was quite good. As was Egypt.

John

• Advertisement

Surprising to me , Nobody got a deal this week. The dragons must be getting tired of all these nutjobs.

Advertisement