Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholars - update

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

kaimera wrote:
    smaller shops?

idiot(s).

we'll be 'more' like sardines in a damn tin than we already are in the current SU shop at times.

I'd prefer to be sardines in a tin shop in a shop, rather then sardines in a tin in a pub.

I like space in my pubs tbh, couldnt give a rats if I have to squeeze into the shop every few days to buy a chicken roll. Least I only have to spend 5 mins in there, as opposed to 3+ hours in the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

irrelevant point.

stop ranting about how much you like yer space.

:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

kaimera wrote:
    NOooOOoOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOO

:(
    :mad:

balls.

My sentiments exactly. Minus the "balls" bit obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For all we know, the Scholars closing may be a good thing, what replaces it may be better than either the Stables or Scholars. Only time will tell I guess.

Time has passed and it looks like I was wrong, badly wrong. :(

maybe the Sports bar can be teh 'New_Stables' ala FamilyGuy and 'New Quahog'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

kaimera wrote:
    maybe the Sports bar can be teh 'New_Stables' ala FamilyGuy and 'New Quahog'

How likely do you think that is!

unlikely but stranger things have happened [tsunami for eg]

**** it, I'd go to the Sports Bar if I could get some folks going. A BULBs would fill the place :v:

Well I dont know how many more crap nights in the Stables I can handle.. I really think I have had my fill of it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Agreed.....the Stables is getting a bit old at this stage. Anybody on for a change of venue next night out we have? Town anyone?

Cheers
    Rory

rmacm wrote:
    Agreed.....the Stables is getting a bit old at this stage. Anybody on for a change of venue next night out we have? Town anyone?

Cheers
    Rory

People (Boards.ie people besides us!) cant be arsed goin to the stables for a few with us, what are the chances of them goin into town?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

i feel i must spread the news, (good or otherwise).

Fact: scholars closed because it was no longer financially viable

Fact: stables revenue, although up since scholars has closed, is down on previous years

Fact: much of this is attributed to the alcohol policy and changing drinking patterns among students ie drinking at home

Fact: the director of the shop has proposed that the shop be relocated into the main part of the scholars club. this new shop will encorporate a larger deli, hot food bar, yadda yadda yadda.

Fact: the SU meanwhile has seen the benefits of this but realises the importance of an alternative venue and has proposed that an phluais will remain as a licenced club. this will be re-vamped to become a more intimate, quiet area for mature drinking, rather than marathon drinking...ie couches, classy environment etc.

Fact: nothing has been decided for definite. but it seems quite possible that this will be the path that the SU follows.

Fact: An Focal week 10 edition will spread the love re the future with more detail.

Fact: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

you can buy food in the su??

(i know,i know, typically annoying naive fresher...sorry!)

you can buy food in the su??

(i know,i know, typically annoying naive fresher...sorry!)

He means the SU shop. The one beside the paddocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

oh

well i feel stupid

:) it's ok

:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Peteee wrote:
    People (Boards.ie people besides us!) cant be arsed goin to the stables for a few with us, what are the chances of them goin into town?

Hey, to be fair, I'd go but I just shy easily especially if people don't know who I am IRL, not to mention I might make people uncomfortable. I suspect the same is the same of a lot of peole who "can't be arsed".
    Fact: the SU meanwhile has seen the benefits of this but realises the importance of an alternative venue and has proposed that an phluais will remain as a licenced club. this will be re-vamped to become a more intimate, quiet area for mature drinking, rather than marathon drinking...ie couches, classy environment etc.

Hate to be a snob, but it sounds like it would suit me quite a bit.

Always going to miss the scholars. I guess now that the shop is moving, it's never coming back ;_;

What's going to be in the SU shop area, now? Are they extending the Paddocks? Maybe if they put some kind of Drop-In centre there, just for people to keep in out of the rain, or have a chat without alcohol.

I'd like a bigger shop, though, it means I might be able to eat healthier if there's more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

this is the kinda thing that should be told to the SU at the agms. theres some good ideas here. anyone here actually go to the meeting? i didnt, but to be fair, i was hard at work making rolls in the deli. :o

keevita wrote:
    this is the kinda thing that should be told to the SU at the agms.

Not to pick on you personally keevita, as you did have a genuine excuse, but even if this was brought up at the AGM, who was there to be told anyway? there wasn't even enoughs students to have it deemed quorate (i.e. enough to ratify items on the agenda)...and it was publicised (posters around campus, etc.) that the main item on the agenda was the future of the Scholars. only about 70-80 people turned up (quorum is 200!!). nothing could be ratified, including the new ULSU Constitution.
    The entire apathy amongst students is a farce, tbh. People moan and complain that the SU isn't doing anything, that they're not informed of things, that 'something should be done'....but then when asked to do anything or show up at a meeting that would make a difference - "EH!??!!?? ME????!?!?!??"
    ........rant over, i swear!

as to why this particular aspect of the future of the scholars wasn't brought up....The director of PCC only made this suggestion within the last 2 weeks afaik, AGM was in week 5. The SU are hardly going to call an EGM just for this, when they know damn well it's a waste of effort. Class Reps Council was informed of the proposition last Tuesday, week 8, at the council meeting. since then the news has spread. more info will be provided in an article in week 10 edition of An Focal.........

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

The layout of scholars was crap from day one, from a functionality and customer point of view.
    My opinion is that it should be gutted and truned into a multi function venue similar to the black box idea in galway. Then do what you want with it. bar/ games room/nite club/venue/whatever...make everything in there mobile, even partitions that can split the place in 1/2. That what the university needs, a decent mutli function venue. Have a think about it anyway

Dave_W

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

The ULSU is rubbish, we all know that the only thing it is good for is Rag Week, student life in UL is so far removed from the ULSUits not funny. I've always found the SU to be a bit of a clique.

All the scholars needs is the entrance to be somewhere else, everytime someone would come in it'd freeze the balls off ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I was also somewhere at the time of the meeting, can't say where though. But even if I had been able to go I'm not sure how much good it would have done. It's nearly impossible to get anything through to the USLU, which probably explains why so few people turned up.

Rozie wrote:
    It's nearly impossible to get anything through to the USLU
    Have you ever tried? What did you do?

Not to pick on you personally keevita, as you did have a genuine excuse, but even if this was brought up at the AGM, who was there to be told anyway? there wasn't even enoughs students to have it deemed quorate (i.e. enough to ratify items on the agenda)...and it was publicised (posters around campus, etc.) that the main item on the agenda was the future of the Scholars. only about 70-80 people turned up (quorum is 200!!). nothing could be ratified, including the new ULSU Constitution.
    The entire apathy amongst students is a farce, tbh. People moan and complain that the SU isn't doing anything, that they're not informed of things, that 'something should be done'....but then when asked to do anything or show up at a meeting that would make a difference - "EH!??!!?? ME????!?!?!??"
    ........rant over, i swear!

Hows abouts they hold the AGM in the stables at 10:30, there'd be easily 200 people there. Just cut the (Awful, too loud) music, and have someone stand up and say 'This is the SU AGM' talk about some stuff, and have a vote.

Done and done.

the SU turned down my application for a DuneBuggie Club :(

had a solid one picked out and all.

Thing bout the SU is... like everything else in life you gotta know someone!! Its politics - what else do ya expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Please bare in mind when ye are trying to calculate how much money the stables is making that it's only making that money during the college semester and operating 5 or 6 nights/days a week(I'm presuming it's still closed on Sundays and the odd saturday night).

Cork Exile wrote:
    Please bare in mind when ye are trying to calculate how much money the stables is making that it's only making that money during the college semester and operating 5 or 6 nights/days a week(I'm presuming it's still closed on Sundays and the odd saturday night).

If its closed, the only overhead I can think of is rent. Theres no staff to pay, no drinks to order in etc

It makes enough on the nights its open to turn a profit surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

Also the fact that the SU Send everyone into town to the Trinity Rooms for the weekly nights will reduce revenue for the Stables..

On the other note. THe problem with student politics is, its the politicians that get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Peteee wrote:
    If its closed, the only overhead I can think of is rent. Theres no staff to pay, no drinks to order in etc

It makes enough on the nights its open to turn a profit surely?

Rent, ESB, security, its still money being spent when money isn't coming in those days.
    If you've ever been around UL during the summer, you will have noticed the pubs are practically dead every day apart from the odd corporate do that they get in. Its very difficult to imagine the pubs breaking even most days.
    Also the profit that is made is split. If I remember correctly its something like 50% goes to PCC, 25% to SU and 25% to Castleoaks Catering.(Not sure if these are the exact percentages, but they should be in the rough area)

Think bout it also, from week 10 roughly on, how many people are studying for exams, how many stop or at least cut back on going to the pub because of exams. So thats another 3 weeks in each semester that sees a reduction in the number of people going out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Yes it does see a reduction at those times but come on, for the rest of the yr its jammed from one end of the day to the other, I dont know of any bar that does anywhere near the level of business it does.

As for the summer isnt UL full of courses,post grads, etc, surely the food alone would allow them to keep ticking over until September.

Any update on the re fit of the Scholars?? When is it reopening in its new form??

Advertisement