Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frames at the Point

Options
  • 14-11-2005 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Who was lucky enough to go?? how good??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

i heard damien rice played some songs before the frames came on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I was lucky enough not to be there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Pacifico wrote:
    I was lucky enough not to be there ;)

yup me to... dodged a bullet there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Tyrrial wrote:
    yup me to... dodged a bullet there
    Why the hatred of the frames??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I think you'll find it's mostly a hatred of Glen Hansard.

He is one of the few people who manages to piss off people no matter what he does.

Man, he pisses me off.

Thinks he's so great:
    http://www.geocities.com/nakedgalway/1-glen.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Idiots.

I was there. Was good for the size of the venue. Damien Rice was a nice surprise, though I'm not such a big fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Idiots.

Yeah we're the Idiots.....right :rolleyes:

Damien Rice did that aswell at the Marlay Park gig a while back....Aside from Glen Hansard annoying you hes a damn good singer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Pacifico wrote:
    Yeah we're the Idiots.....right :rolleyes:

Well if you're the ones lambasting a band for just doing what they love, then yeah I guess you would be idiots. If you don't like them fair enough, just don't be so f*ckin bitter and begrudging about it. They must be doing something right, what with them selling out the Point and all...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah i was there for free and in the pit. Yeah Rice was a nice surprise... if ur a girl!!!

Good gig considering i only know about 3 songs of their songs.

• Advertisement

what with them selling out the Point and all...
    I wouldn't quite say that. Some woefull bands sell out the point 5 days in a row. But as for the people still coming onto threads about the Frames just to say that they're ****, and they don't like them... Seriously, you have to ask yourselves why they do it...

faceman wrote:
    Yeah i was there for free and in the pit. Yeah Rice was a nice surprise... if ur a girl!!! .
    Hey,, Explain to me why it's nice if your a girl?? that's the dumbest statement of the day!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Steve_o wrote:
    Hey,, Explain to me why it's nice if your a girl?? that's the dumbest statement of the day!!

lol im just being funny, i like damien rice but hes VERY popular with the female population! Hence why i was surrounded with lots n lots of hot women!! Mmmmmm hot women..

oh right i didn't pick up on that sorry dude!!!!! i concur tho bein surrounded by hot hot women would be sweet!!!

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    I wouldn't quite say that. Some woefull bands sell out the point 5 days in a row. But as for the people still coming onto threads about the Frames just to say that they're ****, and they don't like them... Seriously, you have to ask yourselves why they do it...

You think they're woeful. There's obviously some people who think they opposite. That's all I was saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ergo

I don't get all this Damien Rice and Frames begrudgery

why do people jump on these threads just to give their negative opinions?

why can't people silently accept that these artists:

a)make a lot of people happy, (8,000 the other night for example)

b)have been through a lot of difficulties in terms of record labels/ band splits/ members leaving or whatever and have still managed to make some (or lots in Damien Rice's case) commercial success, ie selling out the Point while at the same time holding on to some artistic integrity

I mean does Westlife selling out 10 nights at the Point count?

anyway, I don't go on Westlife threads saying how crap they are :rolleyes:

typical Irish begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Because they want attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 curious cat

Was at the gig on thursday and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. They never kept a good momentum going with lively songs. A venue like the point needs to be taken advantage of and they should have played more fitzcarraldo or dance the devil. Too many whingey songs played for my liking and what was the 2 encores for? Most ppl around the back had left after the 1st one :o So unless the frames decide to release livelier songs in their next album I think they should stick to the small venues like vicar st. where an intimate audience can continually appreciate their genuine talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

I think there are a couple of reasons why people don't like The Frames. I'll start off by saying I think The Frames are a decent band. They have a couple of decent tunes and, in my opinion, quite a few God-awful ones too.

Now there are obviously some people who love The Frames music, as with any band who have their real fans. There are, however, a hell of a lot of people who got into The Frames for street cred. There was a time when, if you went to certain uni/colleges in Dublin, you had to like them to be taken as a serious music fan. It's musical snobbery at it's worst. Therefore, Frames fans were like the Man United fans of music, it was a much jumped on bandwagon, and where that happens then all fans get branded with the same 'bandwagon-jumper' brush.

Secondly, the lead singer is, how should I put it, not the most amiable bloke. I know some people who have dealt with him both professionally and privately and would have some names that I won't print here for him. Plus he comes across as a smug twat.

Having said that, they are a decent band, but they don't deserve the Godlike status that some people heap on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

I seen them at witness a few years back and thought they were O.K., did a cover of Breed by Nirvana (foo fighters were playing that year). He got of the stage and rolled in the mud for a while... i didn't go to see them in the point, if i had known damien rice was going to be playing a few songs i would have definitely gone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭28064212

radioman wrote:
    Now there are obviously some people who love The Frames music, as with any band who have their real fans. There are, however, a hell of a lot of people who got into The Frames for street cred. There was a time when, if you went to certain uni/colleges in Dublin, you had to like them to be taken as a serious music fan. It's musical snobbery at it's worst. Therefore, Frames fans were like the Man United fans of music, it was a much jumped on bandwagon, and where that happens then all fans get branded with the same 'bandwagon-jumper' brush.
    So you're judging a band on the actions of their 'fans'? I'd agree with you on them, but wouldn't use them as a reflection on the band

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

radioman wrote:
    There are, however, a hell of a lot of people who got into The Frames for street cred. There was a time when, if you went to certain uni/colleges in Dublin, you had to like them to be taken as a serious music fan. It's musical snobbery at it's worst. Therefore, Frames fans were like the Man United fans of music, it was a much jumped on bandwagon, and where that happens then all fans get branded with the same 'bandwagon-jumper' brush.

But surely that's got nothing to do with whether the band is any good or not!? I fully admit I got into them because I was curious over the fuss (particularly over the live shows), so I bought a ticket to one of their shows, and I was pleasantly surprised to find there was a great band behind the hype. That kind of musical snobbery has always existed though...for the past while it's been Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens etc. In another few months they'll be a new "ground-breaking" etc. band. Who cares as long as the music is good...

radioman wrote:
    Secondly, the lead singer is, how should I put it, not the most amiable bloke. I know some people who have dealt with him both professionally and privately and would have some names that I won't print here for him. Plus he comes across as a smug twat.

Well I've personally met him twice, and he was very friendly and engaging etc. but obviously you can't judge him entirely on that. Stories I've heard from other people seem to back that up. Plus you've got to hand it to them for helping out smaller Irish bands by giving them support slots etc, they do seem to make a genuine effort. I think what annoys a lot of people about him is that he's able to saunter on stage (regardless of the size of the crowd) and have the confidence to engage the crowd and put on a show.

28064212 wrote:
    So you're judging a band on the actions of their 'fans'? I'd agree with you on them, but wouldn't use them as a reflection on the band

Sorry kind of stepped on your point there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

No, I judge the band on their music, I gave my judgement at the start of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

I dont know if the point has been made yet, but bashing the Frames is fun! And its easy too. It provokes strong, backs to the walls, no holds barred irate reactions from fans (which are always the best). Even with the simplest, most unimaginative generic insult, you'll get an overblown howl of abuse back (similar to listening to a Frames cd hohoho).

Keep up the good work Frames 'fans'... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

dalk wrote:
    I dont know if the point has been made yet, but bashing the Frames is fun! And its easy too. It provokes strong, backs to the walls, no holds barred irate reactions from fans (which are always the best). Even with the simplest, most unimaginative generic insult, you'll get an overblown howl of abuse back (similar to listening to a Frames cd hohoho).

As I said.

Look at me Look at me Look at me Look at me Look at me Look at me.

I dislike people who post just to get reactions, it turns what was a proper disucssion (both people who like and dislike, and not just "The Frames are ****!") into a flame war and the thread gets locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

dalk wrote:

Thats just sad. If you said that about any band no matter how much I disliked them I would still be disgusted by that kind of view.

Anyway any thread with 'The Frames' in the title always degenerates into mess of arguements. Not even worth reading imo. Thought this one would be different but no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

I dislike people who post just to get reactions, it turns what was a proper disucssion (both people who like and dislike, and not just "The Frames are ****!") into a flame war and the thread gets locked.

Agreed.
    Thats just sad. If you said that about any band no matter how much I disliked them I would still be disgusted by that kind of view.

For the record i was making the (sarcastic) point that the Frames are an easy target for trolling, because Frames fans take the bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Beastieboy wrote:
    I seen them at witness a few years back and thought they were O.K., did a cover of Breed by Nirvana (foo fighters were playing that year). He got of the stage and rolled in the mud for a while... i didn't go to see them in the point, if i had known damien rice was going to be playing a few songs i would have definitely gone...

Yeah I seen them play breed too. It's a great song but The Frames are so **** they ****ed it up. The drummer didnt even do the drum roll at the start.

• Advertisement

Ag marbh wrote:
    Yeah I seen them play breed too. It's a great song but The Frames are so **** they ****ed it up. The drummer didnt even do the drum roll at the start.
    Eh? It was hardly planned. As I recall, Glen just started singing it as a joke because loads of the people in the pit were only there waiting for the Foo Fighters. Then the rest of the band just started playing it too. Of course without the drumroll the song is ****e anyway, so yeah, Nirvana are a crap band that rely on intros to make songs good. :rolleyes:

Advertisement