Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a pistol licence

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Markhor wrote:
    Clare gunner

Its a pity you are having so much trouble getting a permit, I noticed you mentioned Supdt in Limerick, would it be at Roxboro or somewhere else I wonder, as I have had difficulties there myself.

Do you think it will be easier when March comes around ?

Nope ,Henry St.
    Proably not,but at least he has to give account of himself in front of a judge and court of this land,and if he still refuses to act on an edict of a court,it then leaves him WIDE OPEN to be prosecuted and/or relived of command.Not good if you have eyes on the park .
    Whereabouts are you yourself down here???

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Markhor

Clare gunner

Hopefully you won't have to apply to the courts in the coming year you may receive your permit before then.

I applied for a medium bore calibre rifle, for hunting abroad, last February and was turned down by Roxboro four months later. I have held a rifle licence since 77 and have a gun cabinet fitted for the last 23 years but it seems to make no difference, their minds seem to have been made up long before my recent application.
    I live just on the edge of Limerick City.

Were you dealing with the same Super as me? A certain G M?? If so we might have somthing in common. PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Glock 17 9mm.
    Any particular reason why you chose the glock 17?
    When i was in england 2 years ago i was able to get a good look at the glock and it handles very nicely. Well balanced, particularly with a full mag!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Fired a 17 and 33, dont like eaither TBH. Cheap and cheerfull would sum it up for me. Trigger was horrible and I don't like the idea of the trigger safety, seems a bit pointless to me.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:
    Fired a 17 and 33, dont like eaither TBH. Cheap and cheerfull would sum it up for me. Trigger was horrible and I don't like the idea of the trigger safety, seems a bit pointless to me.
    Which pistol do you prefer?

Of those 2? Didnt notice much of a diference. If I had money it would def be a Sig P226 or X-Five

Have you tried to apply for a pistol licence?

No my brother is ATM and we will probs get a Sig Mosquito between us in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

When i was in england 2 years ago i was able to get a good look at the glock and it handles very nicely.

There's a very limited number of places to handle a Glock in England these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Markhor

Clare gunner

No, the persons name began with B, a nice enough man, he just has taken over the post within the last few months. To be honest he was fair enough,
    he offered me something around the 6.5 x 68mm or 7mm mauser. He said he had no problem giving me that. What I wanted was a 9.3 x 62mm for hunting
    heavy game abroad, but he didn't seem to understand and was basing his decision on information he was provided by the Dept. in Dublin

jcatony wrote:
    Any particular reason why you chose the glock 17?
    When i was in england 2 years ago i was able to get a good look at the glock and it handles very nicely. Well balanced, particularly with a full mag!

I have owned it for the last 12 years.But it is parked in the US since then,along with a few other guns ,that I am sure will give my Super a screaming hissy fit when I apply for a liscense for them as well.:D :D
    But as to why I own it. I wanted to get first a 45 1911,but being a left hooker,I would have to had it modified with ambidexterous,safteys,slide releases etc.I was on a budjet as well,and the gun shop owner suggested the Glock as to counter the problems.I was abit doubtful as to the merits of the trigger saftey as well.But once you learn rule no 1 about fingers and triggers,it is no problem.Plus new it was at the time $250 cheaper new than a 2nd hand modified 1911.Yes,the DAO does take a bit of getting used to,but OTOH if somthing like 20 Police depts in the US have adapted it as service weapon,and declared it "litigation proof" in its original format.Thats good enough for me.Get it in a variety of calibres and sizes,and they all operate on the same principle.
    Dont get me wrong I do love the old 1911 as well,and I will get one again one of these days.But if you had to carry one all day in a shoulder rig,you would soon want somthing lighter. Firing a compact 45 is a lesson in muzzle flash and recoil as well. Not only that the Glock is ready to go out of the box,the 1911 some of them need a huge amount of money invested in them to get them to shoot accurately. I am not a fan of de cockers.Anything that snaps a hammer on a loaded chamber gives me the willies.I find the Sig 226 and Bretta 92 HUGE guns for their calibres.
    Ditto the HK SOCOM.45.Almost twice the size and weight of a 1911.Hence the reason US SF have gone back to the 1911.

Civ
    Could be a deact Glock he handled?

I have a brother who has been living in england for just over 20 years and while i was over there, he introduced me to a friend of his in the police. And the rest as they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Thought as much, either that or you were good friends with some Yardies :)

I have owned it for the last 12 years.

So you lived in the states? Which state? From what i have read States like Texas, Nevada and California have very relaxed gun laws, even for the US!!! If i do apply for a pistol, i was thinking of taking a holiday in the US to try out a few models before i make an investment. P.S. Did you ever try the Steyr M-A1?

So
    you lived in the states? Which state? From what i have read States like Texas, Nevada and California have very relaxed gun laws, even for the US!!! If i do apply for a pistol, i was thinking of taking a holiday in the US to try out a few models before i make an investment. P.S. Did you ever try the Steyr M-A1?
    [/QUOTE]

California,just as the first California gun ban wave started.Moved then to Arizona,as most Californians do when they get pissed off with how "anal" and unfree the state became.About the only legal thing in CA nowadays is sex with a consenting adult of the same sex and how to tell everyone else how to lead their lives.:mad:

Az is a brilliant state for shooting,[Just damn hot!!!!]Class3,and open carry.IE you can strap yor gun onto your hip and walk around town [if allowed by the local town ordinances],and no one will say Boo to you.So long as it is in open view and you are not making an attempt to conceal it.Or go into public buildings or schools you are grand.
    Go to a crossroads of the West gunshow.If you can imagine the RDS and Punchestown combined,dedicated to a weekend of guns and shooting acessories.Once every six weeks BTW.Lock up your credit cards,as they will surely be maxed.An exellent train school there as well.Gunsite,in Paulden AZ.
    Nevada is good too,go to Vegas and have a good holiday as well.duno about Texas,Louisiana is very good too I hear,once it is dried out.
    Nope,never tried the Steyr.

Might try to arrange something late next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 silvertip

an application for a pistol licence should be taken very seriously, on point i would like to make is, its a huge responsibility, and i have already met shooter?gob****es on the streets with 9mm glocks in shoulder holsters. my point being its only a matter of time before one of these fools uses a weapon in an..inappropriate manner, be it accidental discharge in a public place or worse, then the whole thing will be ****ed up for everyone. i am not directing my comments at anyone here, just stating an opinion

silvertip wrote:
    an application for a pistol licence should be taken very seriously, on point i would like to make is, its a huge responsibility, and i have already met shooter?gob****es on the streets with 9mm glocks in shoulder holsters. my point being its only a matter of time before one of these fools uses a weapon in an..inappropriate manner, be it accidental discharge in a public place or worse, then the whole thing will be ****ed up for everyone. i am not directing my comments at anyone here, just stating an opinion

Sure it wasnt a carload of SB or ERU??That would fit the description.:rolleyes: :D
    I think it wouldnt matter if the gob****es were carrying single shot pistols or full auto MACs.Gob****es stay gob****es.Where did this occur BTW?Could be arrested for carrying a concealed weapon in a public place,without good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Having picked up cert for .40 Cal , I am assured that the Article 7, Euro Pass and a copy of permit is all that is required to release pistol from Germany, can anyone else advise !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's pretty much all anyone else has needed les. Congrats on getting the cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Prior to my application, I telephoned the local station and sought a meeting with the FO, I explained that I wanted to apply for a additional .40 cal pistol along with my existing .45, I brought in copies of all my competition results, club memberships etc.He quite rightly enquired as to why I needed a second full bore pistol, I explained that I needed a purpose built gun to shoot IPSC , OK ! he had no problem with a application ,if wanted to proceed ,but he would run it by our NEW Super .The following evening he phoned to say all OK and submit the application,that was 3 weeks ago, cert arrived on Wedensday evening!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Good to see that it went so smoothly les.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

I for one am not that happy that Les got his .40, the reason being that it was very hard to beat him when he was shooting the 45 with 8 round mags , now that he has a .40 its going to be much harder. But lets see what the guys in the smith and wesson perfomance center can build me . ;)

les45 wrote:
    Having picked up cert for .40 Cal , I am assured that the Article 7, Euro Pass and a copy of permit is all that is required to release pistol from Germany, can anyone else advise !

Thats it!Go get it.:D
    Nice to see that some folks are getting an easy ride in this country with their Gardai,and fair dues to that Garda district that handles somthing that quick.

Advertisement