Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Beyond punk?...

Amp and effects are going to be a Fender FM212r and a Boss ME-50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Problem is, I play punk and metal, albeit badly. There just isn't a guitar that deals really well with both. Not one I've discovered so far at least.

Punk and metal? Fender Fat Strat.

Yeah. Was thinking of that lately but as of now I'm broke, and to deal with the metal end of things I'd really need to put something like a Duncan JB in the bridge. Not too bad for the job though, even if it won't do it perfectly. I really need to refine my musical taste further but as of now I'm far too pathetic a guitarist to play any real metal other than the most basic riffs. Any ideas for new challenging pieces to get me moving again?

What's wrong with basic riffs? Yeah, a JB would be good. Maybe a stack humbucker in the neck.

TBH, I'm not up to date with punk pickups...

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with basic riffs, I'd just like to be able to do more. I need to be able to do more. I'm not going to feel justified in getting a nice guitar until I'm able to use it the way it should be used. Any good ideas for new pieces?

New pieces to play?

Depends what bands ya like. I could say like Battery and Master Of Puppets or learn Bad Horsie and the Attitude Song.

I can play *most* of Master of Puppets but I really need to finish it off, including the solo, and I want to learn Battery but it's impossible to find *accurate* TAB for it. Best Metallica song ever though, by a long shot. :D

How accurate do you want it to be?

http://www.olga.net/dynamic/browse.php?local=main/m/metallica/battery.tab

That's pretty close I reckon.

I'd like everything to be perfect because my ear isn't developed enough just yet to be able to tell where it isn't. I might pick up the TAB book at Christmas. Holiday spirit of generosity and all that! :D

• Advertisement

I don't give much heed to those tab books tbh. Blackened in the AJFA book is wrong.

Isn't the whole point that they're supposed to be right? How that happened I don't know but aren't they licensed by the bands or something? Meh. Good album. Might as well pick up the TAB book and learn as much as I can. Battery and finishin Master of Puppets should definitely bring me up a notch or two anyway. I'm going for grade 2 this year I think so I could do with upping the standard a little.

Grade 2? Ah, you're one of those "lesson" people, aren't you!

Yep! I'm the stereotypical 15-year-old tool wandering around abusing guitars and wasting Musician Inc.'s time, I'm pretty sure they hate me in there at this stage...

Yeah, I'm pretty much like that. Except not 15 and not in Dublin.

Yeah, and apparently you have talent, another difference. Where might I be the purchasor of this "talent" of which you speak? Damn I'm useless. Must change that...

Talent? HAHAHAHAHA, you should hear me play.

Tell me, do you have your guitar in your hands now?

Yup. Why?

Just wondering.

TBH, I was jamming with a 15 year old on Saturday. He has been playing for two years and he was playing Vai, Malmsteen and Petrucci solos perfectly. I nearly wanted to cry.

...I hate him. I've been playing for two years and I can do **** all. He'll probably turn out to be an outstanding musician if he keeps going at that rate.

• Advertisement

He's thinking about going to Berklee to study...

Although, he's beginning to be socially inept. There's always a sacrafice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

feylya wrote:
    Just wondering.

TBH, I was jamming with a 15 year old on Saturday. He has been playing for two years and he was playing Vai, Malmsteen and Petrucci solos perfectly. I nearly wanted to cry.

which vai solos??

To be honest when i first started out i would walk into a music shop and see people younger than me playing **** i couldn't,, it used to make me go home and play for hours!!! but now i don't give a **** as that's probably all they're good for.. guitar ****.. It doesn't matter what you can play.. its what you can write and how good you are at putting songs together etc etc blah blah

In fairness, if you can play like that, who cares!

Eh, Blue Powder, For The Love Of God, Bad Horsie, the Attitude Song.

He writes his own stuff too :(

...He annoys me. I write my own too, but it's pretty weak.

Yup. Can't write anything good. I can come up with stuff jamming but forget it as I play it.

did he play the WHOLE for the love of god all the way through perfectly? if so then i'd be impressed:) But there is quite a lot of that solo that's pretty simple, its all in the wah.. i remember playing that a couple of years ago.. and i've only played for 3 years..

Although some of it is quite hard ybh.. like the sweeping.. but i only find that hard because i'm not a fan of sweep picking and i don't think its sounds great unless you're in an 80's death metal band.. but the rest is pretty easy.. depending on the guitar you're playin.. ya need one with 24 frets as i've got big hands and i need lots of room around the 20-22nd fret.. Damn i miss my maverick!!

I didn't ask him to play it but sweeping is a joke to him. He plays it without looking.

http://bam295.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/dunnoyet.mp3

try and get that. It's one of his. Can't remember if it's any good but the recording isn't great. Bad tone and eq tbh.

well it's not really great tbh.. there's a quite a few mistakes and he goes out of key a bit as well.. it sounds like he's improvising.. the kid can play tho and in a couple of years he'll be pretty ****ing amazin if he keeps on the way he's goin!! What guitar does he play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A bit off isn't time he? I was expecting some mad sweeping n stuff.

Actually that's hurting my ears.

Advertisement