Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love is the Drug

Options
  • 15-11-2004 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

i'm watching the new show on RTE 2 which follows a family in Drogheda and i'm very curious as to why so far i have heard ONE Drogheda accent!
    the main characters all sound very dublin to me....mostly south side.

why cant RTE for once get their heads out of Dublin 4 and see the rest of the talent the country has to offer. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Yeah I'm watching this crap show aswell. I thought RTE couldn't get any worse but it officially has. It is one of the worst shows I have ever seen on any channel at any time !!! Its not funny and whats it even meant to be about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

its brutal! the main guy is the biggest southsider "im the bor man from the other noight, d'ya know what i mean loike"

and i love all the scenic shots of drogheda!! :rolleyes: its the only way you'd actually know where it was set.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm watching it and it seems pretty funny tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

The panning shots from drogheda are exactly as i remember the place- dark and cloudy.
    The acting seems pretty wooden in places.
    No Drogheda accents as far as i could tell which is a good thing, we most definetely had a guy from naaaavan (the bouncer which the facial hair)
    Yes, there are funny moments but also somebizarre ones like where they get "busy-ish" in the back of a van
    Ill have to see more to reserve judgement. How long is it running for?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

It was based on a play done by a drama group in Drogheda. The director (who also co-wrote it) is from Drogheda as well and so are half the cast......

just for information purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Classic cases of begrugery.

I thought it was very good, I was expecting a perhaps a repeat bow wow(Piss ripped out of that on the Blizzard Of Odd, now we know what pony is).

The accents, there were two one from the bouncer and the other from one of the girls. And that was enough thank you very much.

The acting I can find no fault with it.

Monday nights on RTE 2 might just return to the good aul days of Monday nights on N2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Elmo wrote:
    Classic cases of begrugery.

how is it begrudgery to expect decent irish shows for a change?
    Elmo wrote:
    The accents, there were two one from the bouncer and the other from one of the girls. And that was enough thank you very much.

why is it enough? the show is supposed to be set in Drogheda with people from Drogheda so why, therefore, should the majority of the cast (including the main actors) have Dublin accents?

To be fair, theres a lot of people not originally from Drogheda living there now, but the main character lives in Brookville which is on the wrong side of town for the Dubs...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Didn't think it was all that bad...certainly, in comparison to some things RTE have served up, it's quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Didn't think it was all that bad either. Way better than that crap known as Bow wow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Hey not all people from Drogheda have that horrid accent! :D
    I only caught the last few mins of the show but last time i checked Drogheda wasn't in Dublin. Dublin is the only accent i could pick up.

Well granted the show is set in drogheda but most movies and shows rarely contain cast from the area in which they're set. I speak mainly of american programmes... That being said, the dubs could have tried to cover up their accent a little :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Thought it was ok actually. Then Blizzard of Odd, Podge and Rodge and then the f**ked up Monkey Dust, good nights viewing..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

IF THEY USED DROGHEDA ACCENTS NO ONE WOULD WATCH IT. JUST LOOK AT WHAT BLACKY CONNOR DID TO GLENROE....NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THE SOUNDS OF THE INBRED. I did watch the show and thought it was good. Best of what Ive seen RTE make in ages. I knew there would be Drogheda people kicking up a fuss, you should just let it be, it makes a change from the nine o clock news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

I didnt have any expectations for it at all because i hadnt even planned to watch it to be honest!was just one of those nights were i couldnt find anything good on the telly,c checked the guide and found this on!I actually thought it was quite good!Ok it sounded very Dublin like for something that is supposed to be set in Drogheda but i thought it was quite funny!Its something id give another bash or so before i say its crap or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 flygirl

I thought it was great!
    I grew up near drogheda and it was bizarre seeing the action take place in the locations of my misspent youth ;)
    Saw it years ago when it was a play by Calipo theatre group & its been really well translated from the stage to the tv screen...great to see that the original writer and director of the play has been retained for the TV version.
    Loads of genuinely clever humour and originally shot....No excuse for anything like the contrived crap that was the Big Bow Wow to be shown again after this. Looking forward to the rest of the series....
    And the Blizzard of Odd afterwards, excellent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 manmusic

why is it enough? the show is supposed to be set in Drogheda with people from Drogheda so why, therefore, should the majority of the cast (including the main actors) have Dublin accents?

Your such a whinge, the show was good just leave it at that. Man some people are just annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Wah wah wah.

When was the last time you were in Drogheda? Most people there speak with a stupid goddamn Dublin inflection and have done for some time. A lot of young people from Drogheda sound like they are from Dublin 4.

That aside, it was good. Hope the rest of the series is as good.

embee wrote:
    Wah wah wah.

When was the last time you were in Drogheda? Most people there speak with a stupid goddamn Dublin inflection and have done for some time. A lot of young people from Drogheda sound like they are from Dublin 4.

Having gone to school there, I think i should know about this well enough, and no, a lot of young people from drogheda sound like theyre from drogheda...

But anyway this fuss over the accent is missing the point of the thread- was it any good or not?

embee wrote:
    Wah wah wah.

Actually knowing Peachy is from the same town as me id say she has been to Drogheda a few times!I have anyways and they dont sound like theyre from Dublin at all!Its quite distinct actually!Even people from a couple of miles up the road from me like Laytown and Bettystown and the likes have a very different accen t to a Dublin one!Mind you, I dont really care about whether they have Drogheda accents or Dublin accents at all!I quite liked it! :D

klong wrote:
    Having gone to school there, I think i should know about this well enough, and no, a lot of young people from drogheda sound like theyre from drogheda...

But anyway this fuss over the accent is missing the point of the thread- was it any good or not?

Yeah it was good Klong! I enjoyed it anyways even though i wasnt expecting anything from it!Was funny too! :D

• Advertisement

Thank you trigger!

I dont watch a huge amount of television myself so im not the most qualified to comment on it, but as i said earlier i like the panning shots showing the town; that said, it there weren't the panning shots few people would know it was drogheda (said earlier)A few parts made me laugh alright, it has aroused some interest in me. ill definetely try and watch it next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

watched it last night for the first time wasnt too impressed seems very shammy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Drogheda is in County Louth, tbh.

What does it matter what accent people have? You watch The Clinic.... it is set in Dublin yet... *gasp* ... What is this madness?!?!?! They don't all HAVE DUBLIN ACCENTS!?!?!?! Or, worse still, the woman on Fair City who is meant to be from Sligo doesn't have a Sligo accent?!?!?!

Whats the world coming to?!

:rolleyes:

Well i think the point being made is that its supposed to be a Drogheda family and they all have Dublin accents!But you could also argue the fact that they could have been a Dublin family that moved to Drogheda!It doesnt matter anyways really!Not a great thing to rate a show on to be honest!in that case all american shows or films that try and portray an irish accent and it just sounds absolutely crap should be crap then! :rolleyes:

The scenes done around the town though defineately looked like Drogheda!Was strange in a way cos i reconised a lot of places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The three posters at the start:

cbg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

embee wrote:
    Or, worse still, the woman on Fair City who is meant to be from Sligo doesn't have a Sligo accent?!?!?!

I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for that. :eek:

Its yer one Sorcha!

Supposed to be from Sligo yet she has a dub accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

What about Vicky from Eastenders, came over from America with a US accent, after 4 weeks she's a cockney blue blood complete with "naffink, oo's got the 'ump"

But I degress, will have a look at Love is the drug next week.

What about Vicky from Eastenders, came over from America with a US accent, after 4 weeks she's a cockney blue blood complete with "naffink, oo's got the 'ump"

But I degress, will have a look at Love is the drug next week.

Hehe yeah i noticed that!....had to laaugh though!really messed up there though!but to be honest her English accent is better than the american one she had!God that was horrid!wanted to break the tv every time she talked! "Sshhhhharrrrrronnnnn!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sharp22

FFS, I've never heard such pathetic whinging in all my life. If your only problem with the show is the accents, you have little to be worrying about. I thought the show had interesting characters, and was hilarious.

So what if they didn't have mullah Drogheda accents? Who wants to hear that anyway?

Advertisement