Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show from Hell

Options
  • 13-11-2004 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭

You know the way at the start of every Late Late Show Pat Kenny always says “We have a very special show lined up for you tonight”? And you know the way that feel like you want to believe him, but deep down you know he’s lying?

Well, grab your Prozac, it’s the Late Late Show from Hell!:

Here are my suggestions for the most banal guests and acts that could be booked.

Could you do better?

Theme Music.

First guest: Brendan O’Carroll. “Jaysus Pat, it’s been a mad year…mad year” etc etc. Brendan promoting his live DVD, range of novelity condoms and non-existant Broadband service.

First act: Some bizarre Canadian ‘comedy’ mime act no-one’s ever heard of and will hear of again called “Mimè DeCoeur”.

People watching show at home who realise they’ve gotten the French pun of their name suddenly get panicky feelings about just exactly where their life is leading if they are stuck in on a Friday night watching this.

Ad Break

Middle act/guest: Westlife come on in choirboy dress, sing a cover of Cliff Richard’s ‘Lord’s Prayer” followed muted applause and audience shot of corn-fed 70-something up for the weekend from Mayo sporting a tweed jacket, comb-over and Pioneer pin.

He looks upwards when he spots himself on the studio monitor, nudges his pudgy companion, smiles, and displays teeth like the ones in that scary poster that warned about the dangers of plaque you saw when you were a kid in the dentist's waiting room

Pat meets and greets boys and they chat for 10 minutes on how pressures of fame and fortune lead them to find God and their subsequent musical redirection from Rat Pack to Religious.

A tearful Nicky comes-out about his Strepsil addiction.

Ad Break.

Second guest: Bill Cullen. Cullen promoting book “More Penny Apples” about the hardships and difficulties of owning the sole Renault franchise in a country racked with lucrative government contracts for state cars. Talks about his charitable work and the “rare aul’times”.

Phone competition for new Renault. Bill pulls card out of tambola. Pat rings number on card. Rings for 30 seconds. Ring-ring. No one is answering. Ring-ring. Floor producer makes cutting gesture across his throat off camera. Dejected Pat decides the car will be a ‘roll-over’ for next week. Bill quips that hopefully it literally won’t be. Pockets of audience laughter. Pat introduces next guest, saying hopefully her jokes will be better than Bill’s.

Deirdre O’Kane. National Grid encounters surge as thousands of kettles switch on. Mintues later the surge dies down as thousands of others mutter “screw this” to themselves, switch off their TVs, and decide to head out to catch last orders.

Ad Break

Final Guest: Gerry Ryan, promoting autobiography “Ryan’s Air”. Kenny remains slightly prickly during the interview, secretly peeved that Ryan earns 200K more than him. Truculant Ryan talks about family, how Ireland has changed and his early days in RTE. Interview intercut with pictures from his book showing his daughters and younger pictures of him when he only had the one chin.

Theme music.

RTE ar leaba for another Friday night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

In fairness there was one classic bit that I saw (on last nights show).

Prat had Rich Hall on last night and Hall was in the middle of cracking jokes about Limerick being 'Stab City'. when Prat suddenly interupts him stating 'Rich, did you know that *slight giggle* the Mayor of Limerick was tired of the place being called 'Stab City' *increased giggle* so he declared that people should instead call it 'fab city'. Anyway, *building giggle* in the papers the next day the headlines read "Two men fabbed in Limerick last night .... " *bursts out laughing for about 15 seconds straight*

<pause>

Rich Hall : "Eh .... yeah" (followed by the slighest of rolleyes.)

Summed up my attitude to Prat completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I only saw the last couple of minutes of Rich Hall with Kenny last night - poor Rich just looked so uncomfortable. He looked as though he'd just realised he'd woken up in the land of the pod people.

Alan O'Partridge indeed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Here are my suggestions for the most banal guests and acts that could be booked.

Could you do better?

lol, I just read your discription of the show and then I read this bit
    I thought it was actually a real show :D
    I'm serious
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You know the way at the start of every Late Late Show.........

...........RTE ar leaba for another Friday night.

That's some good comedy right there :D

Though my version of the nightmare would have more of the z-list Irish "celebrities" Twink, Eileen Reid, Fiona Looney etc.. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Did you write a letter of complaint to RTE, or did you just come on here to bitch and moan? Buy a DVD, go to the pub, actually complain to RTE and they may listen to you, hell get a job in RTE and change it yourself!

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Lump wrote:
    Did you write a letter of complaint to RTE, or did you just come on here to bitch and moan? Buy a DVD, go to the pub, actually complain to RTE and they may listen to you, hell get a job in RTE and change it yourself!
    You're kidding aren't you?

RTE as a policy will not inform licence payers where transmitters are physically located in the country (see Richard Logue's site for detail of this!).

So with that in mind, do you think that they take complaints seriously?

Actually, if I was going to complain, I'd complain to Renault, Nestlè or Kellogs.

RTE receive 75% of their revenue from advertising, 25% from the licence fee.

So who do you think they'd listen to first? Licence payers or their big corporate clients?

See my posting a few months back called "RTE Couldn't Find it's Own Arse with an RTE Arse Finding Machine" for a wider 'critique' of RTE. This one was just specific to the LL show.

Our problem as a nation is that we don't complain enough and have put up with shoddy semi-state enterprise for far too long.

And yes, like the vast majority of people on here, I come here to bitch and moan about things in this country that simply aren't up to scratch.

But then again, you're a moderator, you should know that and respect the broad church of views people express on here without you yourself sounding like you've just had a raw-nevre tweeked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

DublinWriter excellent post, could easily be a genuine show.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭johntf008

Our problem as a nation is that we don't complain enough

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhh. Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hahahahah<snip>hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhh. Ha.
    We whinge to each other rather than complaining to people who might be in a position to do something about the thing that aggrieves us. We whinge too much and don't complain enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Prat had Rich Hall on last night and Hall was in the middle of cracking jokes about Limerick being 'Stab City'. when Prat suddenly interupts him stating 'Rich, did you know that *slight giggle* the Mayor of Limerick was tired of the place being called 'Stab City' *increased giggle* so he declared that people should instead call it 'fab city'. Anyway, *building giggle* in the papers the next day the headlines read "Two men fabbed in Limerick last night .... " *bursts out laughing for about 15 seconds straight*

oh come on, that's ****ing hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'm a moderator?!?!? Since when? I am open to your views, but I'd be more open to them, if you did a CC of your post over to RTE.

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

The last Late Late show I watched was about three weeks ago, when Kenny had Gerry Adams on by himself, for what seemed like an hour. There was no other guests to question Adams, and Pat sopped up to him and kept telling him how great he was. Cringing. And to think advertisers pay to advertise during this crappy show. No wonder everyone else switches over to other channels on Friday night now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

true wrote:
    The last Late Late show I watched was about three weeks ago, when Kenny had Gerry Adams on by himself, for what seemed like an hour. There was no other guests to question Adams, and Pat sopped up to him and kept telling him how great he was. Cringing. And to think advertisers pay to advertise during this crappy show. No wonder everyone else switches over to other channels on Friday night now.

Might have been funny if Adams had mimed, with Brendan O'Carroll doing his voice, like in the good old days. Kind of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

I really wish people would stop slagging off Deirdre O'Kane.

Not only is she drop dead sexy and beautiful, she is extremely hilarious. She has more talent in her little finger than you could ever hope to have. Her next film is called 'Boy Eats Girl' which sounds fantastic.

Deirdre, if you're reading, get in touch.

dokane4.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I understand ALL her talent is in her little finger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think Deirdre is quite good actually. My idea of a late late show from hell would be a whole episode in tribute to Ronan Keating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

My Late Late from Hell would be a show dedicated to Twink. Guess what's on tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lol

i saw an ad for it tonight :eek: :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My Late Late from Hell would be a show dedicated to Twink. Guess what's on tonight?
    fade2black wrote:
    I think Deirdre is quite good actually. My idea of a late late show from hell would be a whole episode in tribute to Ronan Keating.

Can't we have both?
    A late late show special?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The real Late Late Horror Show would be a Daniel O'Donnell tribute. Of course it'll never happen, as they don't do shows to people who have brought as much punishment, pain and suffering to the world as he has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Brenden O Carroll? He encouraged me to use my remote. Adams? Not being a supporter of physical force in colflict situations also saw me heading for the remote.

But it was on agan last night. (Monday)

A special tribute to Twink?

How many cds, dvds, books etc has this lady sold?

The Late Late has become missableand forgetable.

It is time that this turkey gets the axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

You're kidding aren't you?

But then again, you're a moderator, you should know that and respect the broad church of views people express on here without you yourself sounding like you've just had a raw-nevre tweeked.

There are an AWFUL lot of moderators here...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Cork wrote:
    Brenden O Carroll? He encouraged me to use my remote. Adams? Not being a supporter of physical force in colflict situations also saw me heading for the remote.

But it was on agan last night. (Monday)

A special tribute to Twink?

How many cds, dvds, books etc has this lady sold?

The Late Late has become missableand forgetable.

It is time that this turkey gets the axe.

I flamin hate that woman.

You may well hate Twink. On the other hand a lot of people do like her. I suppose it is a geneartional thing. Younger people would not particularly like her, but probably have not seen a lot of what she has done. She is very versatile and has been in the entertainment business a long time, so she must be doing something right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Flukey wrote:
    You may well have Twink. On the other hand a lot of people do like her. I suppose it is a geneartional thing. Younger people would not particularly like her, but probably have not seen a lot of what she has done. She is very versatile and has been in the entertainment business a long time, so she must be doing something right.

Whatever it is she's doing right, it wasn't her singing. Nor her daughter's. Although in fairness the daughter was just bland and forgettable, whereas Twink butchered the song she "performed" at the end of the show. I also note with some amusement that she will, within a few seconds, give out about the press hounding her during her marriage breakdown, and then use the Late Late to try and give her daughter's career a boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Her daughters trousers were very tight... you could see all sorts of lines and shapes, and why did Twink change clothes halfway through the show?

I think there is a big difference between the media hounding people in the way she spoke about it and in giving publicity to someone in relation to their career. Intruding on their private life such as they did was over the top. They could do some reporting on it and get some comment from them, but the lengths that the media go to at times is a bit much, as it was in this instance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Flukey wrote:
    I think there is a big difference between the media hounding people in the way she spoke about it and in giving publicity to someone in relation to their career. Intruding on their private life such as they did was over the top. They could do some reporting on it and get some comment from them, but the lengths that the media go to at times is a bit much, as it was in this instance.

Yes, but the reason they do it is because Twink's name sells. You'll notice that Twink doesn't complain for one second when her name is enough to get the Late Late Show to promote her daughter's frankly unremarkable voice (I mean, why? It was supposed to be about Twink, not her daughter's nascent and probably doomed singing career), and I was pointing out that I would have sympathised with her had it not been for the speed with which she changed from paparazzi victim to media whore. I mean, speaking honestly, what has she done that's so amazing? Seriously? Her entire career, as far as I can tell, has been far more dependent on clever marketing and use of the media than actual talent or skill. So for all that she whines that they camped on her doorstep when she was having her marriage split up, it's that same press that put her where she is. Without them, she'd be working in a pub somewhere and nobody would give a damn about her.

Jesus, it seems to the be the celebrity delusion of the week that you're allowed to make use of the press to whore yourself all the way to the top, but that you can also somehow be special and entitled to privacy the second you decide it suits you. It's bad enough with the cult of celebrity pervading pretty much every form of entertainment and art around the place, without these poxy petulant fools deciding that they're actually really the victims of the nasty press-man. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Fysh wrote:
    nobody would give a damn about her

do they now?

• Advertisement

Fysh, sure the media does good things for her and she is perfectly entitled to use them. That still does not mean she can complain about them when she feels they are doing something. She is hardly going to say "They are peeking in at my window here in the privacy of my home, which is awful, but that is OK because they have helped my career." Any of us would complain about someone doing something wrong even if that person has done good things at other times for us.

There are different parts of the media and it was not the Late Late Show people that were peeping into her house. Many celebrities are hyped up by the media, but they all start from somewhere and they all have at least some talent - though in some it is hard to spot it - before they come to the attention of the media. Someone like Twink, who has been around for a long time now, isn't there purely down to the media.

Advertisement