Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod, zen I completely confused

Options
  • 12-11-2004 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

With new age technology coming out every day and music getting worse by the day ( who bought call on me no really fess up you tasteless ****s) I thought it was about time I got an ipod or zen to keep all the best music with me. I recently came into a bit of money but couldn't decide which one was better so I urge you fellow ctyiers help me in my epic quest to find out which is best Ipod or Zen or is there an even better model I'm completely ignorant of.

PS do any of them work with windows 98SE ?

Which is the best 46 votes

Ipod
    0% 0 votes
    Zen
    43% 20 votes
    Other equivelant type of music player
    32% 15 votes
    iRiver
    23% 11 votes

Comments

as a zen owner myslef i'd definitely reccomend it over the ipod. But to be perfectly honest neither are the best player.value etc etc. Do a search for iriver in these froums and you will find hundreds of threads dedicated to you buying an Iriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I'm a Zen person too. I think it is far supeior. Ipod will not work with anything less than 2000 but ME won't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ME never works.

Personally I have a Pocki. USB mass storage, voice recording, mp3, SD card port, everything really. Only 256mb, and no file structure though. Still, handy enough

I have ME its a pile of ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

You know the whole myth about iPods being that after their battery dies completely you can't replace it and you have to get a whole new iPod? Is that true, and if so, do zens have the same problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

No, the Zen NX Xtra has a replaceable battery. Zen-man myself. Can't fault it, great machine. The only real advantage the ipod has is size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

You can't replace the battery in an iPod but you don't have to buy another. The first time your battery goes you send it away and they send you back a new one. The next time it happens you have to pay $99 to get it replaced. But in the long run $99 is less than than it would cost to power the iPod for the same amount of time with normal batteries.

The Zen Touch which is the new one doesn't have removable battery. Which is a drag. However you can get a new one but to change it you void the warranty.

Also you can change the ipod battery you just have to put something thin between the shiny bit and the front and if you move it around you pop of the cover and then you can order a replacement of the internet. it also only goes quickly if its not charged the way it is meant to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

All these are rechargeable right? How long does it take for the battery to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Go for the 'other' option. Like the iRiver iHP-140, for instence.

Packed with nifty features and not too expensive, plus battery life is about 16 hours. It may not look as 'slick' (although personally I hate the iPod/Zen look) but its none to big and weighs feck all.

It's also shows up as an extra harddrive in any machine you plug into - no need for horrible restrictive software... just copy+paste your mp3s.

You should check http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/ before deciding on anything.

.....actually, last time I was in Dixons there were some muppets in looking at the 4GB iPod 'Mini', which cost about e250... right beside it was the 20gb iRiver for e299. Thats twice the battery life and FIVE TIMES the capacity for an extra 50 squids. Don't be a sucker to marketing - don't buy an iPod.

• Advertisement

The Zen has a battery life of 24 hours, but this is misleading as this implies music cant be stored in more than 128kps, have sound at zero, battery working at max capicity and cannot be used at all ie turning on light pressing button.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

iRivers well worth it. better than Zen and less about "omfg i'm flashy" than the iPod (which is a good player but not as good as everyone says)

I personnally don't like the iRiver a guy in my year has it and i just don't like the way it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Okay, that site is really annoying me now because I had the iRiver one for a minute and now have totally lost it, so I've given up and will rely on shaky memory.
    From what I can hazily remember flicking over the specs, nodding and pretending I understood it, the iRiver gave me no reason to prefer it over any other ones... not firewire enabled, no USB charging, possibly other things... and it's less pretty. *nods knowledgeably*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Get the iRiver iHP140 it ****ing kicks ass, and I know my mp3 players, I've had about 6 so far, and these beats all, seriously.
    It's cheaper than an iPod
    It has a remote control which the Zen's don't
    It looks funky
    you don't need extra software to run it as a usb hard drive like the zens
    it has a radio tuner
    it has the most options for sound control
    oh and it plays music as well :)

get it, trust me
    you can get it for about 330 or so on the net, but it's400 in peats if you want it straight away

and the 20gb (suitable for most people) is only 300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elegy

go for the iriver its by far the best
    the ipod is over-rated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

My ipod is like my ex girlfriend - nice to look at and fun to use for a while, but, ultimately, you'll feel like bashing your head off the wall after a couple of months of use

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yes,

iRiver IHP-140 is the best you can get, feature, price and everything else wise.

Probably best to get in Dixons for only €370. If you were to get an IPOD and try to match the IHP-140 (capacity, remote, radio, ext battery pack etc) you will probably spend about €600 and still have a product that is worse. This is true in every way. iRiver all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

From constant stealing of my friends' iPods, I know I like the weight and feel of it and the way it works. The only thing that would worry me is the battery issue, because I listen to over three hours of music a day on my discman (and the only reason that isn't longer is that it doesn't fit in my pocket) and the poor thing can no longer hold its charge for more than one album. I've only had it for nearly a year as well. If the iPod is going to give up that quickly on me, it so isn't worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elegy

the ipod battery lasts up to an extreme maximum of 500 charges
    you can get insurance or some plan or other for it but thats like an extra £100

iRiver IHP-140-
    16hrs battery life, you can buy a new battery that gives 29 hours but you don't really need to because you can get an external battery pack for about €5 and just use rechargable AA batteries. The same type of battery pack for iPod is about €40. I've had IHP for months and months and I've run out of battery once for some stupid reason. I listen to much more than 3 hours of music a day also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Hey anyone know wether i should get an ipod mini or an original ipod,. I want it thin as possible but i don't know if the size will make up for lack of storage...

iRiver IHP-140.

Don't get an iPod. They are a rip off and inferior to iRiver IHP series. Take my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bandana

If anyone's interested in the smaller systems with less storage space, you do not want an ipod mini. There's an equivalent iRiver system I think, somebody's probably mentioned it, and also C Labs are releasing a Zen Micro model at the end of the month-we wont get it in shops around here till at least next year but it'l be available off the internet timed just for christmas :D

It's got 5gig as opposed to the ipod mini's 4, doesn't have games as far as I know but does have radio-and you can record 10 hours of radio programs or just record stuff in general; lectures type o' fing. Replaceable battery, comes with two :) Address book, calendar, to do list, alarm. I don't know whether to load stuff onto it needs any specific program.
    And of course it's just damn prettier :cool: 10 diff colours, vertical touch strip instead of circular, and funny blue lights ;) here's the purple one on amazon.

Price-181euros at this exchange rate :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

cormie wrote:
    iRiver IHP-140-
    16hrs battery life, you can buy a new battery that gives 29 hours but you don't really need to because you can get an external battery pack for about €5 and just use rechargable AA batteries. The same type of battery pack for iPod is about €40. I've had IHP for months and months and I've run out of battery once for some stupid reason. I listen to much more than 3 hours of music a day also.

I thnk after having read all your replies that Iriver is the way to go but constsantly using AA would be hastle does the battery recharge qiukly?, how long would it last? can I use an adapter to mooch of the house electricity or does it really last that long? and why are the IHP 140 and the IHP 340 priced the same when the 340 is in colour and so much better?

Finally why if there is such an uproar about Iriver has everyone voted Ipod? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bandana

Because even around here people act like lemmings ocasionally!

If you need me I'll be in the anger dome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

personally im not a big fan of mp3 players.
    i prefer minidiscs.
    i recently bought a sony Hi-MD player and its ****in great.
    i can store 12 albums (with great sound quality) on a regular 80 minute disc and 45 albums on a 1gb disc.
    which is **** all compared to the iPod and similiar but it has the little things such as :
    it runs on a rechargeable AA battery so if it should run out you can always pop in a normal one until you get to charge it.

it has removable storage so you can listen to a friends music just by swopping minidisc.

a remote control

they start at €300.

€300 is quite dear for that. Plus the 1GB discs are expensive. I worked it out before that for it to have 40GB of storage it would cost quite allot. Plus 1gb of storage = 80 albums means the album quality is not good. 80 albums should take up about 4gb for decent quality.

You can listen to a friends music by connecting iRiver to their PC and putting music on your IHP. Then you have it forever.

Also, with the H3XX series you can hook up say the IHP-1XX to the 3XX and take music from it, no PC needed.

Lemur Option,
    the IHP doesnt run on AA batteries. I was just telling you about an EXTERNAL battery pack for €5 that runs on AA batteries. the IHP uses an internal non removable (without voiding warranty that is) battery that wont suck up house electricity at all. And yes it will last 16 hours under the right circumstances.

The H1XX and the H3XX are not priced the same.
    The only place I have seen them priced the same is in Harvey Normans where the 20GB H3XX was €499 and so was the 40GB H1XX.

You will get the H140 for about €370 in Dixons and about €345 online from www.mx2.co.uk

You will get H340 for about €460 from www.mx2.co.uk and about €415 (not including delivery) from www.3dsolutions.co.uk

People have voted iPod because iPod is much more popular and people don't want to feel bad about not researching before spending over €400 on a product when they could have got a much better product for less. iRiver is the best you can get. Believe me on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What about zen? Cheaper than an iPod, even with the same space and it looks good too.

Advertisement