Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School sucks after a summer of ctyi...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

LiamD wrote:
    Yeah, I agree.It would be so damn boring with no messers and in my experience they're constantly funny.

I have a lot of crap teachers this year, and if we didn't laugh at their incomptence in class, I think we'd all just cry instead.

Having said that, there is a line. Scientific studies show that non-stop idiotic messing in class is actually *gasp* an obstacle to the learning process! I have no qualms about having a laugh in class and I tend to argue with my teachers a lot, but I hate people who give teachers cheek just for the sake of getting a laugh and idiots who do NOTHING except talk through class. They've completely wrecked my Medieval History class for me and now they're threatening to ruin Art...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My art class consists mostly of messers, simply because they didn't want to do home ec or german. But I don't mind, because I have no art history to do, and I can draw with noise and distraction.

However, CSPE... we seriously can't even start our Action Project because of the messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hannahC

My school is a private one, so you have to apply and pass tests to get in. That gets rid of the extremely stupid people, but there are still plenty of jackasses. Being mentally endowed doesn't mean you won't screw around in class or blow off assignments. I think the main reason we miss CTYIer's so much is that we don't see them almost every day. I've been going to school w/ the same people from kindergarden to 10th grade. That's 180 days of the year out of the past 11 years. While I do have a circle of friends and don't have major problems w/ anyone in my grade, this situation can get extremely boring when the 10th grade class= 120 people. We all have preconceived notions of what we're all like from kindergarden, and changing that image is extremely hard to do. CTYI was so awesome and fun because I didn't know anyone there and they didn't know anything about me. As some people have said, my classmates wouldn't recognize me as I was at CTYI, and I can't wait till next year to have fun again.

PS- Remember, most of you live in the same country. If I wanted to see anyone I'd have to get on a plane for 8 hours. If you really want to visit a CTYIer, then go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Ah American Private school... Here it just means you pay. nothing got to do with intelligence at all really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

My art class consists mostly of messers, simply because they didn't want to do home ec or german. But I don't mind, because I have no art history to do, and I can draw with noise and distraction.

However, CSPE... we seriously can't even start our Action Project because of the messing.
    CSPE??? pfff what a joke i wouldn't b worried about havin messers in that class.U can bluff ur way thru the action project.Enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Amen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

A goos day in school today. The class **** was finally, after 2 and a bit years, suspended for the first time for starting a fight with a guy and breaking his glasses (although be it only for the day). He only got into the school because his Dad's a teacher in the school. Now he's not gonna try anything otherwise he'll get in more trouble.

Isn't it nice when bad things happen to bad people? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Whos son is it? OOh, I'd love to piss him off by slagging him for having a 'troublemaker' son.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My maths class are a bunch of spas. My teacher wrote something on the board something like 3x4 or something and one girl asks 'Where'd you get the three from?'

I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sooo...You're problem is that people don't understand what the teacher is doing and are trying their best to understand, even to the extent of *gasp* asking questions?

How DARE she

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

it still is fairly retarded. Any dumbass knows that suff! But hey not everyone is mathematically minded.

I get that in maths class sometimes. My problem with it would be that they've not actually even been watching for the whole time and then suddenly decide to drop in and I don't know, expect to understand it without even knowing what kind of sum we're doing.

However, I'm not one to talk, since I usually do my homework/draw all over my books during maths.

(Worryingly enough we had to learn long division the other day. And we're supposed to be an honuors class...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

not even the greatest people can keep themselves concentrating at the tacher for a whole 40 mins, cmon its only natural and innate in people to throw papers or draw on books or make stupid noises accidently on purpose of course. but nothing wrong with asking questions especially ones that are funny.

Aonghus, you're saying that when a teacher rights up a sum, tells the class that he is writing up a sum, writes up 3x4 and someone asks where he got the three from that that is a good question??!

No, but at least they're trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Hooray for surds!

I can't help thinking "serbs" every time the word "surd" comes up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Not as bad as someone I know who actually thinks 'the surds' are a race, from somewhere near pakistan.

Not as bad as the someone I know who bitched about how awful the Taliban were in Iraq.

...They were fool

• Advertisement

pinkpimp wrote:
    Not as bad as someone I know who actually thinks 'the surds' are a race, from somewhere near pakistan.

Kurds? Turkey/Iraq region, so actually nowhere near Pakistan. Also rhymes with turds.
    Not as bad as the someone I know who bitched about how awful the Taliban were in Iraq.

Bloody Buddhists!

I think you mean Muslims

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think he meant it as a joke...

Joke aye?

What an intriguing concept...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

we were doing the greenhouse effect in geography and this ditzy person in my class says:"can't we just stop global warming by getting rid of alll the greenhouses" :confused:
    she also asked in history "who invented christianity?"
    and when i said opinionated she told the teacher that i was using big words that she couldn't understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

There's one in every class...

Science: ''Do birds fly because they're up high?''

French: ''Are all your brothers boys?''

Maths: ''So whats 20 minus 10?''

''...Um...um...can I use my calculator?''

I'm not making them up. They're actual serious questions which are asked by girls in my year.

We are Ireland's future....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I can beat that. *NOTE* This guy is serious. No really, he is that dumb.

"I'm Dave. I'm a butterfly."

I'll admit. It's much less hilarious in its proper context but it was still way wrong. I have others but they're generally way too random or long or "You'd need to have been there" to post.

Someone in CSPE once asked "Is George Bush the president of America?"
    Okay sure not everyone knows stuff abuot politics, but.. really.. and especially because we'd been talking about him/war/that stuff for the last 15 minutes or so...
    There are most likely other examples of stupidity but I do my best to repress these things when I'm not at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Oh, I've thought of another...

It was after spending the whole of English discussing the American electon results this girl turns to me and goes ''Results? I didn't even know there was an election on''

Deadly serious. Again. *facepalm*

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:
    I think you mean Muslims

Sort of. I'm referring to the incident when some british royal was shown footage of Buddhists monks and she muttered something about "chanting the Koran"

... wait. George Bush? Who the hell is he? <throws Woodrow Wilson campaign badge into the bin>

Advertisement