Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ireland's drivers: their worst habit

Options
  • 07-11-2004 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Select from the above what you think is the worst habit of the drivers you encounter on this country's roads. I think it will be interesting to compare the results to what the government considers to be the two major problems, namely the first and second options above, though obviously their prioritisation of those two particular problems has some statistical basis and is not solely based on opinion.

I've had to combine some options because of the maximum poll options being ten, and there will undoubtedly be some I have missed (perhaps an 'all of the above' option).

Which of the option below do you consider to be the worst habit of Irish drivers? 220 votes

Driving aggressively or with excessive speed.
    0% 0 votes
    Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    3% 8 votes
    An inability to correctly use dual carriageways and/or motorways.
    4% 10 votes
    Not maintaining sufficent safe distance from the car in front.
    10% 22 votes
    Inflicting eye strain on other drivers with fog lights, or incorrectly aligned headlights.
    10% 24 votes
    Incorrect or insufficient signalling, and an Inability to use roundabouts.
    4% 9 votes
    Reckless breaking of traffic lights.
    22% 50 votes
    Not driving at a reasonable speed and unnecessarily obstructing traffic.
    2% 5 votes
    General endemic ignorance and a displaying a lack of courtesy for others on the road.
    9% 21 votes
    I consider the standard of driving to be generally acceptable.
    32% 71 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just voted for general ignorance, but would like to tick a few more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

I had to vote for 'general endemic ignorance' cos it covers most of the others in the long run. One other bugbear of mine is people not using dipped headlights in poor visibility. Also those who think parking lights are the same as dipped lights. It drives me crazy!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Voted for:
    General endemic ignorance and a displaying a lack of courtesy for others on the road.

Wish it was multiple choice though as I'd pick a few more!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Also voted for general endemic ignorance as most of the other problems stem from Irish motorists in general being dumb as **** with no cop-on whatever or care for others outside their car bubbles while driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I wanted to vote for general ignorance, but the dual carriageway thing just drives me mental. I refuse to call them "motorways" by the way. Two lanes = dual carriageway. If you want me to call them motorways, build motorways.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I voted for the endemic ignorance option. Sums up Irish drivers quite nicely.

One annoyance that hasn't been mentioned is farmers in tractors plodding along country road at night with no rear lights on their tractor/trailer. Then you have others who turn on blinding *white* spotlights on the rear of their tractor while driving along. I came across one of these last night and from a distance I couldn't work out what the hell it was - a car parked with lights on, a car coming towards me, light coming from someone's house etc.

Another pet hate of mine that I've mentioned before on this board: trailer stupidity. Every feckin day of the week I see muppets towing trailers that are stupidly overloaded or too heavy for the towing vehicle. Eg last week I saw a Ford Fiesta van towing a double horsebox and a Pajero jeep towing a triple axle trailer with a biggish (~3 tonnes) tractor aboard. I'd say a lot of these drivers don't even have the correct licence for these trailers and are therefore driving unlicenced and uninsured.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ooh, can't pick just one :)

My choices would be

Driving aggressively or with excessive speed.
    Not maintaining sufficent safe distance from the car in front.
    Incorrect or insufficient signalling, and an Inability to use roundabouts.
    Not driving at a reasonable speed and unnecessarily obstructing traffic.

Saw something that took the biscuit the other day. Was on a kind-of dual carriageway (had two left lanes, two right lanes, but do dividing embankment) and saw a guy with his two kids in a make-shift horse-drawn cart coming towards me. Needless to say the horse was going ape-**** with all the traffic and the guy was having to yank the reigns big time to keep it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

The "take off stage" from red lights in Ireland is painfully slow.

Takes the average driver about 15 seconds to realize light has gone green
    Another 20 seconds before hand brake is released by the time they fecking leave the traffic lights only 3 or 4 cars have passed the lights.

On the continent esp. in France and Spain...it is refreshing to see that drivers
    are alert when it comes to moving off from a set of traffic lights they are quite swift. Not Paddy Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I haven't noticed that. Any time anyone takes more than about 3 secs, they get beeped out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

unnecessarily obstructing traffic, although its also covered by the motorway one... blocking overtaking lanes, driving at same speed or slower than the cars in the inside lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I hate each and every last one of you foglight dickheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Well the poll asks for the 'worst' habit rather than the one that pisses me off the most, so I voted for signalling and roundabout misuse. I'm pretty sure this causes more (minor) accidents on the roads than anything else.

The one that pisses me off the most are the headlights left on, or people who drive with headlights on full on the motorway at all times because it says you should in the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

voted for general ignorance aswell but a multiple ticking would have been prefered,
    roundabouts and motorway/dual carriageway driving especially annoy me, id say there is a large percentage of drivers who have never even looked at the rules of the road.

I was out with a friend of mine today in his car, he passed his test first time during the week but the amount of things he was doing wrong amazed me, sitting in overtaking lane, not looking in mirrors on roundabout, not in correct lane approaching roundabout, i was in shock that he actually passed because its clear that he just doesnt have a grasp of the rules of the road or common courtesy on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

We're is "Being on the road at the same time as me in the mornings"? Bastards, I want to commute in speed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was tempted to edit the poll so I could select every option but went for General endemic ignorance.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

dahamsta wrote:
    I wanted to vote for general ignorance, but the dual carriageway thing just drives me mental. I refuse to call them "motorways" by the way. Two lanes = dual carriageway. If you want me to call them motorways, build motorways.

There's nothing in the definition of "Motorway" that says "three lanes plus". A goodish proportion of Europe's motorway network (including the UK) is two-lane - it only rises above that on roads that see far in excess of the kind of throughput most Irish roads will see. There are notable exceptions, of course, like the M50.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I voted for "Incorrect or insufficient signalling, and an Inability to use roundabouts."

This is one that particularly annoys me, especially when I have to walk to or from college, there are now 3 roundabouts along the route (used to be two but they built a new one outside a new student village), and at each of these roundabouts, about half of the cars intending to go left (through the exit I have to cross) simply don't bother to indicate, so I am never sure if they are going straight on, or taking the first exit. Sometimes can take up to 5 minutes to cross at busy times.

robbie1876 wrote:
    The one that pisses me off the most are the headlights left on, or people who drive with headlights on full on the motorway at all times because it says you should in the rules of the road.

That can't be true, surely. I don't have a copy to check, because it's been a looong time since my test, but I find it hard to believe that they tell people to drive on high beam all the time.

Dermot

mackerski wrote:
    There's nothing in the definition of "Motorway" that says "three lanes plus".
    There is in mine. What we have in Ireland are dual carriageways with 70mph speed limits, period. But if you want to call them motorways, off with ya boy. Just get out of my effing way. :)

Still don't understand the (front) foglight thing. The more I see people getting annoyed about it the more fun it is to leave 'em on.

adam

mackerski wrote:
    That can't be true, surely. I don't have a copy to check, because it's been a looong time since my test, but I find it hard to believe that they tell people to drive on high beam all the time.

Dermot
    Well it's possible they have changed it now, but when I learned the rules from the book that was one that stuck in my head. It was in a list of 'when should you drive with your full beams on'

Maybe someone with the book would kindly check it out?

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:

Still don't understand the (front) foglight thing. The more I see people getting annoyed about it the more fun it is to leave 'em on.

adam
    The purpose of front foglights is so that cool people can turn their headlights down to the sidelights setting and use the foglights as their dipped headlights. They gain streed cred and it makes their stereo go louder. I used to do this on my Skoda Forman (seriously!).

dahamsta wrote:
    There is in mine. What we have in Ireland are dual carriageways with 70mph speed limits, period.

Humph - off to the home of the Autobahn with you and do some research. Marvel at the variety in lane-counts. Thrill at the steep gradients, missing hard shoulders and dodgy paving. Gasp at the exit loops that'll have your car over the edge if you didn't brake early enough. Be impressed at how people manage to hurtle down them beliebig schnell without splatting themselves.

When you've done all that, come back and give a fair assessment of our own motorways - to keep the comparison fair, factor in how much more usable they'd be if the state allowed non-lorries and non-grannies to use the left lane, thereby freeing up the inside lane for overtaking as they do in other countries.

The most obvious precedent to follow in deciding how many lanes our motorways might need is Northern Ireland. There, every single kilometer is two-lane except for some notable exceptions, all of which are in and around Belfast. The M2 foreshore stretch, with five lanes each way for most of its length, is the most obvious of these. It could probably survive on fewer, but it's all on reclaimed land and was probably quite cheap to build that way. It also helps give people room to weave between the many different routes that diverge from it. M50 planners take note...

Dermot

robbie1876 wrote:
    Well it's possible they have changed it now, but when I learned the rules from the book that was one that stuck in my head. It was in a list of 'when should you drive with your full beams on'

Are you convinced that they didn't intend to except the cases when another car was in blinding range? I recall that section - in fact, when I first read it, the Rules didn't even mention motorways. It was pretty clear on when to dip them, though.

Dermot

mackerski wrote:
    Humph
    See, I stopped reading after that one word, and now all your hard work has gone to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

cant i pick them all except the last one! do people really think its safe to drive 2 meters behind another car?even on a motorway?(last thursday it happened to me!) of const high beams on? or only one headlamp working!(like get it fixed!!! if its just the bulb, then its cheap and easy!) ir drunk drivers, why drink and drive! for the price of two pints most people could get a taxi home! or walk! grrr bad drivers make me not like to drive sometimes, and i feel like im a dying breed of courtious driver.

tom

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I'm went with gerneral ignorance.

I drove from Kerry to Kildare last nite

I came across 5 incidents of people hogging the outside lane (Including a cattle lorry with a trailer :mad: )

At several cases of driving at a less than achievable speed and then speeding up when people are trying to overtake.

Then the idiots who don't leave adequate space in front. Are up your tail while you are doing 60. Then you slow down to let them pass and they don't. I'm sorry but then it is rear fog light time :p

What is an appropriate reaction to outside lane hoggers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 QC

Passed that really bad accident on the M1 yesterday (Sun 8) -- three cars, one went over the median and hit the other two. The traffic was badly slowed down on the northbound lane when I passed, ~ 20 min delay, the southbound was closed. What got me though were the ***kheads who decided that any delay was too much and had to drive as fast and dangerously as the could the second they passed the accident site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

dahamsta wrote:

adam

Dual carriage way refers to the segregation of the streams of traffic going in opposite directions by a median. It does not refer to the count of lanes. All motorways are in effect, dual carriageways, all dual carriageways are not motorways. Motorways are designed to allow traffic move at a faster speed, safely. This is achieved by eliminating obstacles in the path of the motorway such as junctions, traffic lights, prohibition of vehicles <50cc and incapable of >30mph, prohibition of stopping, no hard shoulder, etc... You join and leave motorways using a slip road on the left hand side (except where a national primary route flows into a motorway or vice versa). Ordinary dual carriageways can have traffic lights, junctions, roundabouts, zebra crossings, cycle lanes and any number of other things that could lead to serious safety hazards for fast moving traffic. If you can't understand the difference between dual carriageways and motorways, this is more of a reflection on you than the design of what motorways we do have, which with the exception of some capacity constraints (particularly on the M50) and a lack of a central barrier on some stretches, are of a very high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Obviously multiple entries on that poll would need to be ticked for an accurate picture, so general endemic ignorance it is.

The foglights thing is a pet hate of mine, but every 3rd car seems to have their 'cool lights' turned on at any given time. Ditto for people with no headlights if there is even the faintest suggestion of dying light left in the evening.

Dare I suggest a new category though? People who can't apply 'L' plates correctly to their car. These fall into 3 categories:

A) People who cut out the red 'L' from the white background and then apply it in order to make it less conspicuous.
    B) People who put the 'L' the wrong way around, or upside down. Surely anyone displaying this level of stupidity should receive an automatic lifetime ban from driving?
    C) People who are both special needs, and anxious to conceal their learner status, who combine A and B above.

Unfortunately, as with most things in Ireland, our driving suffers from a general disregard for law, order, or 'the right way to do things'.

"Sure, one headlight is grand."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

jetsonx wrote:
    The "take off stage" from red lights in Ireland is painfully slow.

Takes the average driver about 15 seconds
    Agreed...I always stare at the other lights to watch for them turning red so I am ready 2 go as soon as my lights turn green

Advertisement