Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Coke Be Back In The SU Shops?

Options
  • 06-11-2004 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

Well?

Should Coke Be Brought Back To The SU Shops? 56 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    50%
    SevNietzscheanCrashStarksegadreamcastDrag00n79Caesar_BojangleVelvet VocalsStargaltuxyZachary TaylorCactus ColGuy:Incognitoaodh_ruachumpixoyT "real deal" JJohnThraktordermot_sheehan 28 votes
    atari jaguar
    50%
    DaveD-GenerateFunkyGoodshapebilly the squid[Deleted User]Spacedogozt9vdujny3srfflangemanPompey MagnusgomdepechemodeclearzTime MagazineApeXaviourarbeitsscheuerhumbleCountyMiloIntelTiriel 28 votes

Comments

Nice. Will be interesting to see how this fans out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

atari jaguar
    No, that would be a step backwards. I don't care wot ya say just get used to pepsi. Drink it enough and it does actually get nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

No
    backwards? the coke we drink is manufactured and bottled in ireland.

Saw something before: in the 80s, coke did a study and found more people preferred the taste of pepsi. So then coke changed the formula, and new coke was born. Everyone hated the new taste of new coke, so after a few months of new coke, dwindling sales, and mass public uproar, they brought back "classic coke", and then got rid of new coke.

Since then, coke has pretty much kicked pepsi's ass.

atari jaguar
    SkyLynx wrote:
    backwards? the coke we drink is manufactured and bottled in ireland.
    How is that relevant? It's the company we're boycotting.
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Since then, coke has pretty much kicked pepsi's ass.
    Aye.. it's all logo's and subliminal messaging IMO

• Advertisement

No
    yes but are we damaging the operations which we find fault with or irish jobs here at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

atari jaguar
    hrm :confused: i dont think coke should come back...like apex said the whole point is to make a stand against the company, tis not about whether ya like the drink or not..and its not exactly a MASSIVE walk to the nearest spar, etc...imo opinion anyway

No
    yes but are we hurting the company or just irish jobs?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

atari Jaguar....

altho I like them 750ml bottles pepsi have brought out

atari jaguar
    SkyLynx wrote:
    hrm do a think a few su shops would really effect jobs that much? i dunno..meh...

(lately i have had a very short attention span!!)

• Advertisement

No
    do you think it will affect their polices on the opposite side of the world?
    if you want to target someone how about nike, at least there you know the product has been made by a child and well thats as bad as anything else imo.

atari jaguar
    SkyLynx wrote:
    Neither.. How much does our university really contribute fiscally? It's the statement made rather than the business taken that is the point IMO.

Also

It's not like people are buying less soft drinks.. any loss by coke will result in a gain by pepsico ireland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i believe the individuals should have the choice to boycott or not and that the SU's should stock the stuff and the person can decide

No
    well not in my experence, since the ban i've been in the su shop once. So coke are still getting the income from me, its just the SU shop arn't getting anything.

And as a statement, would it not be better to target some product where its actually manufactured in a plant which we find disagreeable to our moral values?

atari jaguar
    SkyLynx wrote:
    do you think it will affect their polices on the opposite side of the world?
    Not by itself no, but along with other public outcry yes it should. We're just doing our part..
    SkyLynx wrote:
    if you want to target someone how about nike, at least there you know the product has been made by a child and well thats as bad as anything else imo.

I like it, ban the sale of nike runners on campus..

No
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    Not by itself no, but along with other public outcry yes it should. We're just doing our part..
    Public outcry? i dunno about you but all coke drinkers i know are still drinking it...
    I like it, ban the sale of nike runners on campus..
    Who said it had to be a ban on campus, as you pointed out the who financial thing of an su shop is negligble, if all students stopped buying nike gear in town it would have a much bigger impact imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

atari jaguar
    Oh please,

check this out

atari jaguar
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    Neither.. How much does our university really contribute fiscally? It's the statement made rather than the business taken that is the point IMO.
    i agree, i knew i was trying to say something like that- i just couldnt get the words out :)
    SkyLynx wrote:
    but they have such comfy yoga shoes! (im joking....i dont actually support that...)
    ;)

No
    flangeman wrote:
    Oh please,

check this out
    uh-huh and these are alleged crimes, which your pointing to even a poorly written website. If i believed everything on the web i'd be out shooting random people claiming a website made me do it. Not thing its prudent to wait on a court ruling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

atari jaguar
    It was the quickest search I found, didnt' want to just post a reply but something a little more substantial.

Social awareness people, for fecks sake everything you buy comes from somewhere, and somebody made a buck out of it. Ye have to be aware of who/what got it from the ground into that nice package in front of you.

Anything else is nothing less than ignorant and a little 'Western' I might add.

SkyLynx, 38 Pargraphs and 2108 words, thats quick reading in 6 minutes wouldn't you say? or are you gifted? maybe your little critic analysis is a little short considering the writer is a 'Freelance graduate of the New York University's Graduate School of Journalism', not Trinity College, Columbia. Or maybe you had a problem with the bad colour scheme (which is terrible), the icons rather than is actual content.

I had the pleasure of meeting such a Trade unionist in London at a talk/day session (War on Poverty) hosted my Mary Rob herself. This is all very real.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No
    How about putting the coke back in the shops and - right beside the coke or above it - placing literature on what's allegedly happening? That way people can make their own choice AND people will be all the more aware of what's happening.

Em, yeah btw Coke is not being sold on campus, apart from the Hamilton, the pav, the buttery, aras an phairsigh, arts block...

atari jaguar
    Dataisgod wrote:
    i believe the individuals should have the choice to boycott or not and that the SU's should stock the stuff and the person can decide
    I agree with you on principal, but that's about as effective as voting for Nader. We had a college referendum whether to ban it, it was well advertised. The majority have spoken, it's the next fairest thing IMO. The choice is still there, merely made less convenient.
    SkyLynx wrote:
    And as a statement, would it not be better to target some product where its actually manufactured in a plant which we find disagreeable to our moral values?
    It's coca-cola, it's a unified company. As I said before IMO the "damage" isn't really significant, more the principal and the awareness it causes.. against coke.
    SkyLynx wrote:
    Public outcry? i dunno about you but all coke drinkers i know are still drinking it...
    lol.. Loyal coke drinkers? I knew of none prior to this. The majority of people won't bother their arses going off campus just to get a coke when there are lots of other bottled fizzy drinks available.
    SkyLynx wrote:
    Who said it had to be a ban on campus, as you pointed out the who financial thing of an su shop is negligble, if all students stopped buying nike gear in town it would have a much bigger impact imo.
    I agree, but you must admit it's not very practical to implement.

atari jaguar
    Ace_Rimmer wrote:
    Em, yeah btw Coke is not being sold on campus, apart from the Hamilton, the pav, the buttery, aras an phairsigh, arts block...

Crying shame too... Unfortunately the ban only extends as far as the SU shops. Well at least the spirit is there and we're "advertised" as being coke free. Sends the message..

Im all for another referendum if there is enough support for it, let the college electorate decide..

No
    flangeman wrote:
    It was the quickest search I found, didnt' want to just post a reply but something a little more substantial.

Social awareness people, for fecks sake everything you buy comes from somewhere, and somebody made a buck out of it. Ye have to be aware of who/what got it from the ground into that nice package in front of you.

Anything else is nothing less than ignorant and a little 'Western' I might add.
    Ummm social awareness, i do believe my point here has been that the coke i drink has nothing to do with columbian bottlers, the syrup is produced in ireland as is the bottleing done here. And as you can gather from that Coke themselves can't be held liable for the actions of their bottlers, which seems reasonable imo, the bottlers are the ones who should be in court. Its like deciding that we have to bring america up on war crimes for september 11 because they originally helped the taliban get into power who were shletering osama bin laden?
    SkyLynx, 38 Pargraphs and 2108 words, thats quick reading in 6 minutes wouldn't you say? or are you gifted? maybe your little critic analysis is a little short considering the writer is a 'Freelance graduate of the New York University's Graduate School of Journalism', not Trinity College, Columbia. Or maybe you had a problem with the bad colour scheme (which is terrible), the icons rather than is actual content.
    I must say i read most of it, and i would have thought its blatantly biased. Your effectively argue'n here i should believe everything in George W. Bush's ad's on the american election because he has several university graduates working for him?

No
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    It's coca-cola, it's a unified company. As I said before IMO the "damage" isn't really significant, more the principal and the awareness it causes.. against coke.
    Coca-cola is not a unified company, the bottlers are the one accused of doing this, which are entirely seperate entities(look at yer coke bottles and ye will see em listed as being such). Basically you just have the bottler who buy's the coke syrup, dilutes and bottles it.
    lol.. Loyal coke drinkers? I knew of none prior to this. The majority of people won't bother their arses going off campus just to get a coke when there are lots of other bottled fizzy drinks available.
    Well we exist :), though it might have something to do with our westland row access, the su shop is further...
    I agree, but you must admit it's not very practical to implement.
    Enough people willing to participate between the colleges in dublin and it would be effective enough. USI are supposed to organise the college SU's as a single body. If you could even get 20,000 possible customers to stop buying nike between all the colleges which should be possible , and quite public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

atari jaguar
    Even if this does have negligible financial impact upon Coca Cola, when students in a college as big and prolific as TCD (and the NUI's too, don't get pissy, non-trinners!) take it upon themselves to organise something like this, it creates awareness. So even if people walk off-campus to get their fix, they'll still know the moral issues surrounding their purchase. And that's really all that matters, isn't it?

I agree that people should be allowed to choose, but really, we're in the middle of the city centre, if you want Coke, there's no problem getting it. It's a gesture for a worthy cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

this is such a 18-24 year old ucd/trinity/insert university conversation that is so unappealing.

can we just say coke tastes good but because its made from the blood of a endangered tarpier we shouldn't drink it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No
    Let's make our own clothes and our own cola and live in a squat. Go whole hog or don't do it at all.

• Advertisement

No
    this is such a 18-24 year old ucd/trinity
    ain't that like most of us?

Advertisement