Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monasterevin bypass opening

Options
  • 30-04-2004 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I heard they are months ahead of schedule and could be open in June if they wanted?

Anybody with more defenite info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

There are certainly large tracts of it paved, and I think most if not all of the bridges are in place. However, it is difficult to judge - Kildare appeared to be in a similar condition to me for months before it opened, it depends on what part of the road you can't see really.

I'd be optimistic that it opens before Spring 2005 (iirc its completion date), but June is maybe a little optimistic. Lets face it, with major elections in the offing for June, if it could be open by then, I'd say it would be open by then and we'd all know about it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I was since talking to a guy that works on it. He said it will be ready for opening by september.

Out of curiosity I had a look at this project at a number of places along te route. As far as I can see the entire route is surfaced, the bridges and off-ramps are in place, and much of the work (resurfacing, etc) around the new bridges and the site access points is done. As far as I can see there is perhaps some spot work, then painting, signage and barriers to be done. September is a good prediction, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

as far as i know the kildare bypass was more or less finished 3 months (apart from work that had to be done to facilitate the actual opening) before it opened.

i suspect mono is going to be the same..

I don't know about that laoisfan. A lot of the road was certainly complete 3 months before opening, but crucially, the alignment of the existing M7 to the new M7, including the resurface of the N7 Curagh / Kildare dual carriageway took close to 3 months and was done last.

Also, I went for a run along the Kildare by-pass 1 week before it opened, and the signage was only going up then, along with various patch-jobs along the length of the road. I think they were actually flat-out to meet the 8th December deadline in the end.

• Advertisement

Thats interesting Victor, an official confirmation that the road will open before it is scheduled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

great links victor thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Heard this was open from a friend of mine!? is this true

Find it hard to believe that there wasnt a load of publicity about it with the forthcoming election!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

false!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Please read previous thread on the same subject. Basically it is ahead of schedule and will be open by Q3 2004 Earliest or Q1 2005 Latest (These are my guesses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I have heard that the N7 Monasterevin bypass is to open on Monday November the 8th.

I am trying to find out if it will be open to traffic from the weekend before. This is likely if Monday will just be the offiicial politician-cuts-the-ribbon opening. Or will the Monday be the first time cars are allowed down the road?

I have a trip to make to Limerick and I would put it off by a week if I thought the new road was ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

going through Monasterevin will delay you by 20 mins maybe
    waiting a week will delay you by a week!

loyatemu wrote:
    going through Monasterevin will delay you by 20 mins maybe
    waiting a week will delay you by a week!
    Have you tried it on a Friday evening recently? Make the wrong lane choice going south (i.e. don't make it to the slip road to the bridge and the back roads around the village) and you can be stuck for up to an hour! :)

And my business in Limerick is not that urgent. However I really, really hate traffic jams. It's almost irrational how much they annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

sliabh wrote:
    And my business in Limerick is not that urgent. However I really, really hate traffic jams. It's almost irrational how much they annoy me.

Then "its time to take to train" to use an old Iarnrod Eireann slogan! :D:D

enterprise wrote:
    Then "its time to take to train" to use an old Iarnrod Eireann slogan! :D:D
    With surfboard and mountain bike? No thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Hope it opens up asap. I'm going down that weekend too.

Going up the slip and down the back roads before the town is good alrite.

On monday on the way up the queue seemed to start at the Montague hotel just after the portlaoise bypass. I was just wondering if that was the queue cos I turned off for portarlington and then went to monasterevin that way. Great job!! From start on Portlaoise bypass to Naas in an hour by 7.30. I hate traffic too so I always opt for my own detours the minute I see traffic. Then i'm wondering if i would have been better to wait in the traffic.

The opening up of Bypasses also brings a tear to my eye. What happens to my detours once the road opens. The memories associated with them are great. :) the satisfaction :)

I found an excellent way around kildare town on the way up about two months before that bypass opens and then it became obsolete.

Another thng is that you are then talking to people about the new road and they're saying that it's so great etc cos they save half hour or more and you are disappointed cos it's only saving 10 minutes at on what it would normally take.(but you have alot less hassle and a smoother drive.

sliabh wrote:
    With surfboard and mountain bike? No thanks! ;)

Simple: put those in the Guards van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

These days the official and actual opening seems to be the same - at least that's what happened with the Ashford/Rathnew bypass on the N11 a few weeks ago. Nobody else got to enjoy it before Seamie did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

sliabh wrote:
    I have heard that the N7 Monasterevin bypass is to open on Monday November the 8th.

I am trying to find out if it will be open to traffic from the weekend before. This is likely if Monday will just be the offiicial politician-cuts-the-ribbon opening. Or will the Monday be the first time cars are allowed down the road?

I have a trip to make to Limerick and I would put it off by a week if I thought the new road was ready.

I suggest the following.
    from Dublin,
    M4 as far as Maynooth, head up the off-ramp, take 2nd exit (marked Nass/clane) from roundabout, Turn right at the Road junction at Barbarstown Castle/Straffan. Head through Clane take Road for Prosperous, keep on that road until you pass Derrinturn, Take road to Left for Edenderry. From Edenderry head to Tuallmore (straight tru town) take the N52 towards Birr and stay on N52 until you reach Nenagh. Back roads, but might be faster than stuck on M7.

• Advertisement

enterprise wrote:
    Simple: put those in the Guards van!
    paying extra for cycle, and prob freight for the board

I wouldn't expect the road to open before Monday.

Would you not head off at (say) 7am on Saturday. You would be in Limerick in well under 2 hours from Dublin that way.

[outrage]There is no such time as 7am on a Saturday[/outrage]

Excepting that it is approched from being up real late on a Friday night ;)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

even with clear roads you'd be pushed to make it in 2 hours, never mind well under it, unless of course speed limits are a foreign concept :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Genghis wrote:
    I wouldn't expect the road to open before Monday.

Would you not head off at (say) 7am on Saturday. You would be in Limerick in well under 2 hours from Dublin that way.

NOT a hope. I go to Tipperary once a week and it is 2.5 hours from the m50 at least. Roll on the bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

sliabh wrote:
    Have you tried it on a Friday evening recently? Make the wrong lane choice going south (i.e. don't make it to the slip road to the bridge and the back roads around the village) and you can be stuck for up to an hour! :)

That Happened to me and had to go down some real bad roads :(

Bogger77 wrote:
    paying extra for cycle, and prob freight for the board

Yeah pay a small extra fare for the bike. Surf board should be ok - seen plently on trains in my life time.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'd rather pay €15 for Petrol and have some comfort in my own Car with my own music and get exactly where I want to go then pay €45 and not even be gauranteed a seat on an overcrowded train. It's hard to believe the prices they charge for what can only be described as a poxy service. I am all for rail travel, but not for the standard that exists today. Roll on the Bypass!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this, but I find a project finishing a year ahead of schedule almost as bad as one that finishes a year behind schedule. I mean what sort of estimating process are they using ? Or did they deliberately inflate their estimates in the hopes of a PR coup when the road was finished?

Surely the goal should be to have realistic estimates that produce a finish date that we can all have a reasonable amount of confidence in. I work in software development which can be notoriously difficult to estimate but serious questions would be asked if our estimation process was as poor as the construction firms.

According to the NRA though "The contractors just got on with it. They had good weather all last summer and they got the job done,"... so they compressed 52 weeks work into nothing because of 3 months reasonable weather? hmmm..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

stiofanD wrote:
    Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this, but I find a project finishing a year ahead of schedule almost as bad as one that finishes a year behind schedule. I mean what sort of estimating process are they using ?

I've almost got sympathy for the NRA, damned when they're late, Damned when they're early I know, just to keep the cranks happy, we'll close the road until next year. Happy??

Estimates are just that, a educated guess. Good dry weather when building roads through the terrain round that area meant they weren't using pumps to stop the cuttings from flooding

Advertisement