Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminally under-rated films

Options
  • 29-03-2001 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

My vote for most under-rated/overlooked film of the 90's goes to Arlington Road. I can see why it ws left on the shelf for a year after it was finished and all, but I thought it was superb.

If you want to see a film that doesn't insult your intelligence the way most Hollywood stuff nowadays does, get this out.

Most underrated recently has to be Memento - soon to be out on video - get it out, and that's an order smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

The passion of Darkly Noon....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

While i agree with memento, which was a total genius head fu(k, I just seen arlington road last week on premier and i thought it was good but routine. Very pradictable and hollywood-ized.

Now i know im going to loose all credibility for this but one of my favourite movies that i think is under-rated is Flash Gordon.

Ill get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

.....hands figment his coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Arlington road was an amazing film , Itdidnt really do to wel because it dramatised a rather sorepoint in modern Americanhistory , the Whole waco/Oklahoma incidents . Apity as far as i emember it was out at the time of another good film , cant think of it though

Shrewgar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Being a level 17 nerd with +25 wrist and -30 social life, my favourite under-rated movie is of course, Army Of Darkness.

"Gimme some sugar baby..."

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Arlington Rd. was fab...one of the best twists since Usual S. And Tim Robbins is one scary f*@ker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I thought it was a good film up until the twist, then it just went completely round the twist.

I've got loads of films that i can think of that i love but dont get much attention. Two underrated gems are Jacobs Ladder, if you want a Tim Robbins Head wrecker film, thats your only man. I also thought Ronin was a brilliant action flick, one of the best in recent years. Really old style, like something from the 70's.

Ill probably have to get my coat for this, but i really like 2010. I think its great..

Oh yeah, i cant wait to see Momento...

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm gonna join Figment and lose all credibility and say that one of my fav films that is completely underrated is Truely Madly Deeply. Great flic.

There are others but I cant think of them now.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Army of Darkness ...Its a classic , much like Evil dead II , Its all down to bruce Campell though , We wouldnt have Duke Nukem without him . Though I wouldnt call it underrated , its got a huge cult following

-Bel
    Self Confessed Cambellite

Shrewgar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

G'Man figment, i agree,

Flash Gordon and Army of Darkness, two fab films a'ight

Im Going to Thrash you to within an Inch of your Life.....................
    AND THEN TAKE THAT INCH!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    I'm gonna join Figment and lose all credibility and say that one of my fav films that is completely underrated is Truely Madly Deeply. Great flic.

There are others but I cant think of them now.

DeV.
    </font>

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

oh jesus I'm going to puke!! /expires

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

em! Dev, i thought it was going too far to mention Truly madly deeply, even though its the most watched in my collection smile.gif Alan rickmen is DA MAN.
    Also have to agree with Ronin. One of a few inteligent classy thrillers/action films. Fantastic cast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

There is just one Film Worth mentioning here, The Big Lebowski.

One O the best films ever made !!

wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

IMHO the best underated film i have ever seen
    is Pitch black, i was at the edge of my seat each of the 3 times i saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Jags Right ye know wink.gif I loved that film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Carlitos Way, or Le Haine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugler:
    Carlitos Way, or Le Haine.</font>
    both top notch films yes indeedy
    how about ( paints a target on his chest)
    Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.
    ONe of the funnist that and Men at work !!!
    biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The Big Hit with Mark Walburg.

Fuuuuunny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ah - The Big Lebowski. what a truly hilarious film.

What else is good? Ronin? Average average average.

What about Fearless? There's an intelligent film for you. Great acting, great script, great direction. Brilliant.

Brazil. Another good one.

I'm bored now - bye.

I'm the Dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Oh yeah - Memento was a top class flick.

Just don't try and see it after a feed of drink. Not recommended.

I'm the Dude

[This message has been edited by Jeff_Lebowski (edited 02-04-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

uhmm u might diagree but i just finished watching phantoms not great in the acting but as a slightly strange n brainer it was alright.

maybe not be under rated but also just saw Willow(after 12 years before the last time i saw it) kinda funny like star wars except not in space (like ewokes **** for brains)
    (oh yeah whoops)

split personnality prob smile.gif

BK the KK
    Fraggen with a smile:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Man on the Moon
    Run Lola Run

Perhaps they are not underrated, just not widely enough seen.

Get 'em both, pronto!

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

masters of the universe is easily the most underated film ever i mean its HE-MAN even if dolph lungren is in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

most under-rated of last year was Jesus' Son.. stars Billy Crudup who was in the more recent Almost Famous .
    bloody amazing down-to-earth film about a guy struggling to keep his life together after a few too many hits.
    dunno if its even available on video at all, if it is do yourself a favour and rent it.

and whats this about Memento being under-rated? I've never seen a bad review for it smile.gif
    its a bloody excellent film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Yep, have to say I loved Man on the Moon, and have re-found my appreciation for Mr. Carrey

'Wag the Dog' also worth the old once over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

In recent memory "Circus" stands out quite strongly. A great script (apart from a loose end or two) and some very good performances from John Hartman, Brian Conly and Eddie Izzard. Keeps you confused till the end.

If you like Pulp Fiction then get this one out. I did, and I plan on buying the t-shirt.

Also special mention for The Cell. Rubbish acting and script but worth watching for the really really artistic set/costume/effects.
    Incredibly visual eyeball candy.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 08-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I've just finished watching the Criterion Special Edition DVD of Spike Lees "Do the Right Thing". I'd forgotten what a great thought provoking film this is.

Oh I agree with CT Arlington Road is a great film with a totally non hollywood ending.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Hudson Hawk.
    Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wasn't as bad as the rep it got but still straight to video fodder.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Elias

This is one subject that will pain my balls trying to keep up with. But Arlington Road was a deadly flick. When I sat down to watch it I thought I detected a hint of cat ****, but yea the Lord did deliver upon us a decent flick. Praise be.

Advertisement