Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The place is gone to the dogs

Options
  • 14-10-2004 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I assaulted last night, around 9:45, just near the Bank Of Ireland by Paul Street (Rory Gallagher place or whatever it's called). No provocation, no conversation, just got punched by some guy who ran off. No damage to me thankfully.
    Reported it to the gardai, no chance of anything coming of it. No CCTV either. (ssh - that's a secret).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah the place really is after becoming a bit of a danger zone... friends of mine (3 girls) were mugged on North Main St. a few weeks ago by a girl and her boyfriend. their bags etc were taken and they were beaten a bit. sicko's

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭dinjo

first of all,sorry about what happened........ thankfully i've never had anything happen to me in my life,but your right the place is getting scary.... My cousin who is 6"6 and is nearly 300 pounds (mostly muscle) is afraid to go around town at night on his own......that shows just how bad the place is getting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I think that says more about your cousin than it does about the town :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I hate going round town nearly any night except mondays, not for the risk but because of the prevalence of drunken retards and scumbags loitering in the streets (particularly outside hillbillies by the peace park - if that place isn't a breeding ground for aggro every friday/saturday night at about 3 am, I don't know what is). But I've only ever had anyone try and start something once, and that was during the day. I have, however, had several d*ckheads vandalise my bike any time I've been daft enough to leave it outside my own house (speaking of which, must drop it off again to get a buckle corrected in the back wheel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Cork City has always been bad! Only been out in Cork a couple times but not that many. Its a ****hole full of lurkers and loonies! Thank God nothing ever happened to me while i was in the City! Sorry to hear that u got assaulted though. Its a good thing youre still in one peace!! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Was e-mailed by a mate d other day a protest to the Gov. they want to bring pub hrs to meet club hrs so everyone leaves at once.There will be war.
    Got a buddy whos a guard in Dublin(tough B*st*rd)and he says the guards view would be leave the clubs open later but stop serving at d norm time and everyone will filter out over the nite not all at once where a lot of this sort happens.

I know got attacked by 3guys(30's)last yr outside a pub for no reason.
    Worst of all it was 24th of December, What SCUM!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When I was in my twenties I used to walk down the side streets near Matthews to catch taxis coming back in from the northside, never got attacked. Up until six months ago I used to walk along George's Quay, South Terrace, etc to catch taxis coming back in from the southside, never got attacked. I've lived in Margaret Street in the city center for the past six months, never got attacked. I've never even been approached for more than a fag, which I rarely give. Never been attacked for that either. I only know one person that's been attacked, an overconfident dipsh1t that's had it coming to him for years.

Course I could be attacked tomorrow and proved utterly wrong. Doubt it though. When I see wahs in the street I ignore them and they ignore me. Makes me wonder why the same doesn't happen for other people. Am I that intimidating looking? Don't see it meself.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Cork_girl wrote:
    by a girl and her boyfriend

I've heard a similar discription from a few places now. Must be their idea of a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been living full-time in the city for 8 years, and I originally come from 30 miles west. I personally have never had any trouble in the city, but that's not to say it doesn't exist. But like Adam says, don't make eye contact with the wahs. Cross to the opposite side of the street if you see them coming. Don't go looking for it.

• Advertisement

ok guys.I have never wanted to fight anyone,there aint no point.Are ye living in bubbles.Iv lived on d edge of the city all my life and the amount of fights i have seen on the way home is stupid.I mean 2years ago i saw a fight between about 10lads outside hillbillies; blood and loads of guards,It was in the paper and all.
    Honestly ye must be real lucky.I live in Limerick part time and thats rough.No one hangs around after the club ; clubs ends - taxi/bus - home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Oh, there are plenty fights in Cork. All you have to do is stand outside John Graces, Hillbillies or Abrekebra and you can enjoy a ringside view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I had crossed the street, I hadn't made eye contact. I was in the middle of a conversation with 2 friends of mine.
    the guy who hit me ran at me from across the road, hit me on the run and kept going.
    I've been walking home late through Cork for years and never had any hassle before. I've seen plenty but noone's ever given me any grief before.

I'm just glad he didn't have a bottle or glass in his hand.

dudara wrote:
    Oh, there are plenty fights in Cork. All you have to do is stand outside John Graces, Hillbillies or Abrekebra and you can enjoy a ringside view.
    I don't see fights precisely because I don't stand outside John Grace's, Hillbillies or Abrakebarbara. Unless I have a big bag of popcorn obviously...

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    I don't see fights precisely because I don't stand outside John Grace's, Hillbillies or Abrakebarbara. Unless I have a big bag of popcorn obviously...

adam

Dont judge. Obviosily never been attacked!!!! not nice. Just rembered a guy i went to school with last year was attcked with a plastic fork....
    Dont't laugh,he stuck it in his eye and he has a huge scar and do u know why because ............................he got his food before him. B*star*d

Morale of d story - it happens,wrong place, wrong time - thats all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Cork_girl wrote:
    by a girl and her boyfriend

Was present when another couple, well it was actually the girl, stabbed another girl right outside a night club about 2 inches from her crotch for her handbag ... in fairness to the bouncers they caught the two of them and dragged them to the gaurds.

I was also attacked by pikies (apparently attendeing some pikie kings funeral) outside virgin in daylight at 9:45 two summers ago I wasnt even drinking (was 17).I glanced at this bunch of scumbags coming up from mcdonalds and adopted the "mind my own business and walked the other way" approach only to be hit from behind then wake up on the pavement being kicked in the head.

^whitey^ wrote:
    Was present when another couple, well it was actually the girl, stabbed another girl right outside a night club about 2 inches from her crotch for her handbag ... in fairness to the bouncers they caught the two of them and dragged them to the gaurds.

was that on Liberty Street?? I was working that nite, but it was a guy that stabbed the girl.. maybe different story.. but yeah only for the bouncers on the door he would've gotten away with it .. scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

i basically agree with what dahamsta is saying.

ive been going out in the city for about the last few years now, and ive never had any hassle. im not saying that there are no fights in the city every weekend, but if you dont go looking for trouble then you wont find any.

ive never heard of anyone who has got into a fight that wasnt drunk and aggressive themselves...

if you dont go looking for trouble then you wont find any.QUOTE].

not a very fair thing to say.. are u accusing people who are attacked of being responsible??? :eek:

well ok, thats just my opinion. theres just no accounting for some psychos i suppose. but for the most part, that is my experience of cork city. ive never known anyone who has been attacked for no reason.

whereas for example some friends of mine (who arent scumbags in the least!) were attacked in dublin this summer on the one weekend they went out there. i just dont think that cork deserves a reputation as someplace where violence is widespread...

• Advertisement

no I agree with you .. violence isn't widespread.. it's just that things have changed a lot in the past year or so. I work in a nite-club and we've had more hassle outside on the street after 2pm than ever before. and yeah.. usually it is scum vs scum.. but unfortunately not always.

having said that.. Cork is by far the place I feel most secure!! it's a local place with a good atmosphere most of the time.. and so far in my experience Dublin is a lot less inviting.. hard to explain.

Cork_girl wrote:
    having said that.. Cork is by far the place I feel most secure!! it's a local place with a good atmosphere most of the time.. and so far in my experience Dublin is a lot less inviting.. hard to explain.

yeah thats how i feel as well. i frequently walk home by myself after nights out and wouldn't even think twice about it.

i frequently walk home by myself after nights out and wouldn't even think twice about it.

that's just not a good idea
    mind yourself!!!

maybe not, but i haven't had a single problem yet, and i'm only out by the college. actually, i doubt i'd walk home by myself on a fri or sat night. i mostly sample corks night life on tues/weds/thurs anyway ;)

I was livin on college rd for few years, and fair enough never had any hassle but having said that wouldn't go alone.. lots of dark areas.. always hated walking past the Crawford and St. Finbarrs.. and it's a hill so bit difficult to run!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Cork_girl wrote:
    was that on Liberty Street?? I was working that nite, but it was a guy that stabbed the girl.. maybe different story.. but yeah only for the bouncers on the door he would've gotten away with it .. scumbag

Yea it was ... I was also working that night :confused: Thought it was the girl, could have easily been the guy though didnt actually see it happen myself.

Cork_girl wrote:
    it's just that things have changed a lot in the past year or so
    I've had people saying that to me for a decade. I've seen people saying it here on Boards for at least three years. Of course it's changing, but it's not changing out of pace for a city of it's size. Cities are born, they grow up, c'est la vie. Not happy, move to Nad.

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Not happy, move to Nad.

adam
    that's a little too near home to be honest!!! reason why I moved to Cork city in the first place..

and.. fair enough the place of changing course it is .. if it wasn't it'd be some ****hole..
    problem is.. there needs to be a bit more of da force on the streets.. that's all.

oh and Whitey.. were u workin on Liberty St.?? :confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

ive never heard of anyone who has got into a fight that wasnt drunk and aggressive themselves...

well it wasn't a fight but you have now.

this thread is interesting - it's almost like it was my fault some guy assaulted me.

I wasn't drunk - they weren't drunk. It was early on a well light and relatively crowded street.

I guess the point I'm not making is exactly that. If I'd been stumbling home in the early hours, lurched into some guys mot and gotten a slap, I'd say something, but strolling to the carpark at a quarter to ten in conversation with 2 friends? Not even Tony Humphries could pin that one on me.

Advertisement