Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tulips that drive at 35-40mph!!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

What do you suggest, that we turn ALL two lane roads into motorways?

That sounds pretty incredulous to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

dmeehan wrote:
    geriatric twits who cannot see over the steering wheel, and we all know that there's plenty of those about on the roads
    This was in today's Independent, might be relevant:

" AGGRESSIVE drivers regularly target the elderly with their abusive behaviour, according to the National Safety Council (NSC).

New research shows that four out of 10 older drivers say they are regularly or sometimes the victims of aggression.

The NSC and the National Council on Ageing and Older People are calling on all drivers to be more tolerant of the elderly. Brian Farrell of the NSC pointed out that older people are among the safest drivers, representing just 7pc of those killed or badly hurt.

However, older pedestrians had the highest risk of being killed on the roads.

The councils, who will have a joint stand at the Over 50's Show in the RDS this weekend, recommended regular eyesight, hearing and general medical checks. They also advised the elderly take extra care when turning right against traffic - the most common cause of crashes in their age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

New research shows that four out of 10 older drivers say they are regularly or sometimes the victims of aggression.....
    ... the other 6 out of 10 drove by without noticing!!!1!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The NSC and the National Council on Ageing and Older People are calling on all drivers to be more tolerant of the elderly. Brian Farrell of the NSC pointed out that older people are among the safest drivers, representing just 7pc of those killed or badly hurt.
    This is in part due to their better ability to judge what is coming up ahead and prepare for it, rather than relying on reactions as younger drivers tend to do.

But people who have a habit of driving along at more than 10mph below the speed at which the rest of the traffic is going AND NOT letting anyone pass (eg: by staying in the right hand side of the lane) which means that they may in the words of Les Dawson " they've never had an accident , but they've seen loads of them..."

Was it in the US that you have to pull in to let others pass if more than 4 cars behind you ??

Again my greatest contempt is for those who drive at 40-45mph on both N-roads AND through the 30mph zones in villages en route (and people who don't know how to use indicators)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

magpie wrote:
    That sounds pretty incredulous to me.

HA HA HA! That's just so funny... :D
    Incredulous at the prospect of all our nations roads being turned into motorways?
    You're damn right I am, for reasons my dog would understand.
    Have you ever looked at a map of Ireland ferchrisakes?
    Naw, I'm not going to argue the problems you might encounter putting motorways over every stretch of road in the country.
    Tell ya what, why don't we just tarmac the whole feckin country! :D :rolleyes:

LMAO!

• Advertisement

Jesus, you are such a halfwit my mind boggles.

I never suggested putting motorways on every road. If you actually attempted to read my posts without going into one of your lmao ffs you-so-crazy rants you might understand what I'm on about. Seeing as you can't be arsed why don't you heed your own advice and stop posting on this subject (see your quote on page 2, look it up for yourself).

magpie wrote:
    If you actually attempted to read my posts without going into one of your lmao ffs you-so-crazy rants you might understand what I'm on about. Seeing as you can't be arsed why don't you heed your own advice and stop posting on this subject (see your quote on page 2, look it up for yourself).

Well i did read your post on "maintaining progress overrides the speed limit" and responded but you didn't appear to want to debate the point further, despite my asking you several times about it.
    So I figured if you couldn't defend your own points, there was little hope of
    me arguing against them.
    So you're solution is to build great roads?
    How come your not Taoiseach with ideas like that? nNbody else has come up with it which we can plainly see by the fact that no motorways are being built (oh wait.....)

(p.s. call me a halfwit to my face and we'll see how you get on)

magpie wrote:
    Sleipnir, thanks for the negative karma point just because you do not agree with my position, which is clearly what the sytem is for.
    I'll resist the temptation to give you one back on principle.

Ah, but you couldn't resist! ho, ho, ho!

Latest Reputation Received
    Thread Date: 8-10-2004 11:52
    tulips that drive at 35...
    Posted By: magpie
    Comment: You really are a simpleton

Sorry, I forgot to include the subtitles for the hard-of-thinking when I posted this a couple of pages ago.
    I'll put it this way: If you are in a stream of traffic that is doing 70mph in a 40mph zone (for instance heading out on the Naas road past the red cow) you are not going to get stoppped by a Guard for speeding. Why? Because the majority of the traffic is flowing at that speed. Making Due Progress. If Due Progress does not override the speed limit why don't the Guards hand out several thousand tickets a day to everyone who drives at 40mph in built-up areas? I'm not saying it's enshrined in law, but it is certainly what happens in practice.

Here's another quote for you 'If your opponent is of a choleric nature, irritate him'.

Mods, a thread lock might be in order at this stage.
    I think it is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

my god - what have i started here!!! i only wanted to get a few opinions on this topic - but i see there is a lot of passion out there about this topic - agreement and disagreement.

--laoisfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Any one looking up casulties in cycling will notice very few,

I could point you in the direction of some interns in a hospital in Dublin that can confirm otherwise.

Back in the 80's you wouldn't believe how busy casualty departments were cycling injuries many serious with spleen injuries caused by the non-sensical "BMX" bikes (handle bar injuries) but they were mostly kiddies.

It progressed to "mountain bikes" usually tales of woe that happened to muppets at weekends making life difficult for hill walkers.

Now a days due to the non application of the law and/or cyclists not obeying the law there is a major increase in cycling accidents many serious due to the self same muppets not wearing helmets.

BTW witnessed my first cyclist getting trapped and taking a fall on Luas rails this morning.

Bee

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I think I remember someone mentioned that they seen a car doing 40 to 50 on the M50 hanging around the fast lane?? and there are cars on the 60 zone doing 45 to 50 and will not pull in aside to let cars passes, that would be both against the rules of the road!

ok if they want to drive at that speed fine, but for others driving at 60, these slower moving cars are suppose to let them pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Bee wrote:
    there is a major increase in cycling accidents many serious due to the self same muppets not wearing helmets.
    Bee

So not wearing helmets causes accidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bee wrote:
    I could point you in the direction of some interns in a hospital in Dublin that can confirm otherwise.

Back in the 80's you wouldn't believe how busy casualty departments were cycling injuries many serious with spleen injuries caused by the non-sensical "BMX" bikes (handle bar injuries) but they were mostly kiddies.

It progressed to "mountain bikes" usually tales of woe that happened to muppets at weekends making life difficult for hill walkers.
    God, you just complain and complain don't you? Are you ever happy? God forbid someone else might gleam enjoyment in a way different to you, or have a difference of opinion. They're being moronic or nonsensical. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find, with mountain bikers and BMXers, crashes and injuries are par for the course. They're not "tales of woe", it's an accepted fact that you will injure yourself. People cycling to work however, don't expect to injure themselves. The two sets of figures can't be merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

StRiKeR wrote:
    I think I remember someone mentioned that they seen a car doing 40 to 50 on the M50 hanging around the fast lane??

The M50 doesn't have a fast lane. Driving in the overtaking lane when the left lane is free is an offence no matter how fast you drive.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

mackerski wrote:
    The M50 doesn't have a fast lane. Driving in the overtaking lane when the left lane is free is an offence no matter how fast you drive.

Dermot
    is it really an offence? i always thought that you *should* or were *obliged to* drive in the overtaking lane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

dmeehan wrote:
    is it really an offence? i always thought that you *should* or were *obliged to* drive in the overtaking lane

In this country, there's not point in "should" rules. And "obliged to" means precisely that. See:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2005945#post2005945

...and look for the bit about driving on the left. It's not specific to motorways either.

See http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen142002a.html for a preview of how many points it could get you some day if you fail to comply.

Dermot

Advertisement