Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could bus stops on busy routes be further apart?

Options
  • 07-10-2004 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Could the journey time on buses be improved by reducing the number of stops? Would it be worth the inconvenience of longer walks to the stop for some people?

The Luas line B has 13 stops over 9km of track or about 750m between stops (10 minutes walk). The N11 QBC, meanwhile, has 33 stops over the 12km route from Foxrock Church to O'Connell Street, or about 370m between stops (5 minutes walk). Wherever you are on the N11, you are only a max of 2.5 minutes walk from a stop.

What if the number of stops was halved on the N11? Would the extra 2.5 minutes walk be repaid by faster journey time due to the bus saving 16 stops?

With just 16 stops you could have a ticket machine at each stop like on the Luas, and then boarding times would be faster.

Whaddya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Zaph0d wrote:
    Could the journey time on buses be improved by reducing the number of stops? Would it be worth the inconvenience of longer walks to the stop for some people?

The Luas line B has 13 stops over 9km of track or about 750m between stops (10 minutes walk). The N11 QBC, meanwhile, has 33 stops over the 12km route from Foxrock Church to O'Connell Street, or about 370m between stops (5 minutes walk). Wherever you are on the N11, you are only a max of 2.5 minutes walk from a stop.

What if the number of stops was halved on the N11? Would the extra 2.5 minutes walk be repaid by faster journey time due to the bus saving 16 stops?

With just 16 stops you could have a ticket machine at each stop like on the Luas, and then boarding times would be faster.

Whaddya think?

You've been busy in the bus this morning! :D

I am not sure it would be faster because as it is now during the peak morning hours you have so many buses that most of them stops only every 2 stops, especially because at the start of their journey the stops are mostly to hope in rather than hope off, apart few like near schools or ucd.

Then I agree that in some part of the QBC there's too many stops, the fact that they stop using Stillorgan from 4pm to 7pm was a great idea.
    I think they should work on the few "black spots" to improve the speed, like Donnybrook where the bus get stuck by the traffic. I don't know how though!

Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is a definite problem with Dublin Bus - far too many stops
    between Bray and Shankill there are about 12 stops in the space of 2 miles

in many places you can stand at one stop and see the adjacent stops in either direction along the road - it definitely makes the service less efficient

but presumably if DB tried to remove any of the stops they'd get inundated with protests from passengers living nearby not wanting to walk the extra 100 yards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only if they had shelters
    In this country it rains on most days. Walking long distances in the rain will drive people back into cars, as will standing at an uncovered stop.

BTW: the 25X etc. don't stop at every stop so it's a simple matter of funding to create more QBC's than to remove stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Only if they had shelters
    The shelters are getting much better. The new ones are nicely designed and have removed a critical design flaw: the old shelters had an advertising poster blocking the view of the oncoming buses. This meant if you wanted to stay dry you'd miss the bus!
    Walking long distances in the rain will drive people back into cars, as will standing at an uncovered stop.
    This what I'm asking: would the journey time saved by halving the number of stops encourage more people to use the bus than it would discourage by making them walk further?

eg There is a bus stop on the bend in Donnybrook outside the Garda station, but there are already stops 200 yds behind and in front of this point.

Would the Luas line B be improved by having 25 stops instead of 13?

Maybe every second stop could be set down only.

I don't think that having a few Xpresso buses are the answer. They suffer from the same problem as any infrequent bus service: you can't predict when or if they will arrive due to traffic and schedule unreliability.
    The stopping time for the bus is way too long in any case. I'd love to see only prepaid tickets, no ticket stamping and exit via the rear doors (where they exist).

Does DB allow their drivers and passengers to suggest ideas to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There would be some improvement, obviously, but my feeling the improvement would be smaller than you'd expect for the following reasons:

1. The time the bus is stopped at the stop is in proportion to the number of people getting on and off at that stop. Changing the number of stops wouldn't reduce the number of users (or if it did, there would be a big problem).

2. The big factor driving 'dwell-time' is the amount of time it takes to get on and off the bus. If you want to reduce the dwell-time, you have to do two things.

a. Have a faster ticketing system.

b. having a separate entrance and exit.

The first of these is underway, although a lot depends on the 'follow-through' in implementing the new system. The second of these has been abandoned, apparently for safety reasons.

Perhaps reducing the number of stops would really reduce congestion on the QBC and so reduce the need for overtaking, particularly by express or full buses. Also the amount of time spent decelerating and accelerating would obviously be reduced.

However, I don't think the benefit would be very big, compared to the benefit of sorting out the ticketing and entrance/exit issues. Also, you'd have to weigh the benefit against the possible disincentive to use public transport if there were a longer walk.

As to the Luas stations question, you really either have to have the stops open or closed. You can't have 'set down only' - there's no way of enforcing or managing it. There is a system used some places in New York called 'skip-stop' where only every second train stops at each stop, but it tends not to work out all that well. There is a book that considers these topics by a guy called Glover. It's basically a manual of London Underground operations but I can't remember the name (something like Underground Operations), but I will dig it up if someone is really desperate to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Four stops within 400 metres on Glasnevin Avenue 19A/17A route...this could easily be cut down to two, or even one tbh.

I'd have to agree - too many bus stops along many parts of the route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Zaph0d wrote:

Does DB allow their drivers and passengers to suggest ideas to them?

yeah they do then they ignore them or wait for a while and pretend they tought of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

raphaelS wrote:
    the fact that they stop using Stillorgan from 4pm to 7pm was a great idea.

Not if you want to get off at Stillorgan it isn't. It has led to a dangerous situation with people having to attempt to cross a dangerous dual carriageway at rush hour. It is an inconvenience to the people who want to get off at Stillorgan. You may not want to get off there, but a lot of people do. A lot of people also want to get on there as well and are faced with having to get across the dual carriageway to get to the stop. A lot of people are coming out of the shopping centre and it is not convenient for them to have to drag their shopping down to the stop on the far side of the dual carriageway. Skipping the village in the morning for inbound buses was not too bad because the stop on the dual carriageway is more accessible from Stillorgan, but the same can't be said for the outbound stops.

In defence of the decision to axe it Dublin Bus said a majority of passengers favoured it. That sounds very reasonable, until you think about it. Using that logic the majority of people on a bus would not want to stop at any given stop. So following the logic, a bus would not stop at any stop at all, because although there might be some people wanting to get off at a particular stop, the majority of passengers on the bus wouldn't. A wonderful piece of Dublin Bus logic. The only people who should have been asked as to whether they should bypass Stillorgan were the people who get on or off there. In that case there would be 100% in favour of retaining it.

We are getting the arguments here that people should be prepared to walk a bit further. If you think about it what you are really saying is that everyone else should have to walk further, so that you can get home quicker! Every stop is someone's stop and they are entitled to it, even if it slows your journey home by stopping there. You would not be happy if your stop was done away with, but it's alright for everyone else. Dublin Bus has to serve all its customers. It would be wonderful to get on a bus and then for it not to stop until it got to your stop, but it has to serve everyone, even if that does take longer. I agree that positions of some stops certainly need to be reviewed or repositioned, but it is wrong to inconvenience someone else just so you can get home quicker. Anyway, even if you remove a stop, that means that at the next stop or previous stop more people will have to get on or off there, which will mean the bus will have to spend more time there, so you don't gain as much as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Flukey wrote:
    Not if you want to get off at Stillorgan it isn't. It has led to a dangerous situation with people having to attempt to cross a dangerous dual carriageway at rush hour. It is an inconvenience to the people who want to get off at Stillorgan. You may not want to get off there, but a lot of people do. A lot of people also want to get on there as well and are faced with having to get across the dual carriageway to get to the stop. A lot of people are coming out of the shopping centre and it is not convenient for them to have to drag their shopping down to the stop on the far side of the dual carriageway. Skipping the village in the morning for inbound buses was not too bad because the stop on the dual carriageway is more accessible from Stillorgan, but the same can't be said for the outbound stops.

In defence of the decision to axe it Dublin Bus said a majority of passengers favoured it. That sounds very reasonable, until you think about it. Using that logic the majority of people on a bus would not want to stop at any given stop. So following the logic, a bus would not stop at any stop at all, because although there might be some people wanting to get off at a particular stop, the majority of passengers on the bus wouldn't. A wonderful piece of Dublin Bus logic. The only people who should have been asked as to whether they should bypass Stillorgan were the people who get on or off there. In that case there would be 100% in favour of retaining it.

We are getting the arguments here that people should be prepared to walk a bit further. If you think about it what you are really saying is that everyone else should have to walk further, so that you can get home quicker! Every stop is someone's stop and they are entitled to it, even if it slows your journey home by stopping there. You would not be happy if your stop was done away with, but it's alright for everyone else. Dublin Bus has to serve all its customers. It would be wonderful to get on a bus and then for it not to stop until it got to your door, but it has to serve everyone, even if that does take longer. I agree that positions of some stops certainly need to be reviewed or repositioned, but it is wrong to inconvenience someone else just so you can get home quicker.

The same could be said by the majority who have to sit through the stillorgan village detour for the few that want to get off there.

Isn't there a subway under the dual carriageway?

Many stillorgan residents live on the far side of the dual carriageway from the village, is it fair for them to have to cross the dangerous road just to get to the bus.

The 46B stops at the other side of the village, no need to cross the dangerous road from there.

That detour saves a good 10 minutes in peak times, the point was to improve the service to most users which it does very well, it is a very short extra walk to the original bus stop and considering how much quicker the buses get to Stillorgan it is quicker to get off on the main road and walk to the shopping centre than the crawl through the junction and the old road to the stop.

The 46B no longer goes to the other side of the village. Even so, the 46B is not a regular service, so it doesn't serve many of those that would use it. Most of the people getting off at Stillorgan village would be going towards Kilmacud. That stop has a very large catchment area in that direction. Those living on the other side of the dual carriageway would have got off at the stops on the dual carriageway, like the one when you come back onto the dual carriageway. That is now the one the people heading to the village get off at and that is the way the majority getting off at it now go. The others getting off at it are not being inconvenienced by the bus going through the village. The location of the subway is of no real benefit to people wanting to cross the dual carriageway having got off the bus. A lot of people get on and off at the shopping centre, and it is always a busy stop and therefore deserves to be properly serviced.

The benefit to outbound commuters is only for the ones who are getting off after Stillorgan, which is the very point I was making in my last post. They are getting home faster at the inconvenience of others. The inbound bypassing of the village in the mornings works OK, because the stops are easily accessible to those the village stops service, so there is no real inconvenience to them. The evening bypass is different however. As I clearly outlined, it is nonsense to say the majority of commuters want it, as then no bus would stop at any stop between each terminus, so it is not a valid argument. Every stop before a bus reaches you and every stop after you get on until your own stop slows your journey down and the same can be said for any individual passenger. If you don't want stops for others, that kind of service is provided by a taxi.

Buses have to serve all their customers so the fact that the majority of the people on the bus would prefer the bus didn't have to stop at your stop is irrelevant and a totally invalid argument. There are other places on the 46A route that you could also argue could be bypassed like the stops for UCD or by going straight down Kill Avenue instead of going round by Abbey Road and back around by Monkstown Farm, but they have the right to be serviced just as much as Stillorgan village. There are lots of other parts of routes and stops around Dublin that could be bypassed, but all those stops are there to service commuters. I would not advocate the bypassing of your stop, even if it speeds up my journey, because you have the right to be serviced just as much as any other commuter. The only people who should decide if your stop should be bypassed are the people who get off at it and the only valid majority that should be considered are those of their views.

• Advertisement

afaik
    the reason that stillorgan village is bypassed is to try and ensure that the buses keep to a timetable if they went in there then the chances are that they would get stuck there and then every one would have a worse service better to walk a bit further and have a more reliable service than not walk and have buses sitting in stillorgan village for 20 minutes and the knock on effects that would have on the timetable

if you were left standing in town because your bus was stuck in stillorgan village that would not be of much use to the majority of anything

The 46A is a very frequent service and you never have to wait long for it. Arguing that the majority of people don't want to go through the village is like arguing that because the majority of people don't want to live in your home that you and all the others there should have to move out and it should be demolished or that because the majority of people don't wear the size of clothes that fit you, that the size should be discontinued. If you are going to get rid of the Stillorgan village stops, why not get rid of them all? The 46A would fly along then!

mmm dont know who you are answering flukey

i never said the majority wanted to do anything
    the point is that the reason that 46a is a very frequent service is that it avoids the traffic if it goes into stillorgan at the peak times then the buses will get stuck there then the benefit of the qbc will be lost you are not going to entice people to use public transport if you are going to make them sit in stillorgan for 20 odd minutes every evening
    i honestly think you have little to complain about
    there are people who would give their right arm to have a bus service like the 46a
    if you stop to think about what you are saying is that everyone else should be put out for your convenience

of course it doesn't bother you that the bus will be stuck there for another 20 minutes because your getting off
    however my original point was that if the buses get stuck in the village bringing you home from work then they will not be there to take you into town later on
    the only way to get around this would be to increase the running time but that would mean a less frequent service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

I'd rather a bus every 5 minutes with an extra 2 min walk at each end than a 15min frequency on the bus right outside my door (unless I lived at the terminus and could predict when that 15 minutes would be). Crossing the dualler is a small price to pay for the 46A's frequency and timekeeping. Before they did this you'd often see 4 busses lined up going through the village, meaning it could be quicker to get off at Oatlands and walk up to the shopping centre than wait for the bus to get there.

jlang wrote:
    I'd rather a bus every 5 minutes with an extra 2 min walk at each end than a 15min frequency on the bus right outside my door (unless I lived at the terminus and could predict when that 15 minutes would be). Crossing the dualler is a small price to pay for the 46A's frequency and timekeeping. Before they did this you'd often see 4 busses lined up going through the village, meaning it could be quicker to get off at Oatlands and walk up to the shopping centre than wait for the bus to get there.

exactly

The usage of the route before and after the changes were made says it all, the passenger figures have risen by several hundred percent.

I used to use the route daily before they bypassed stillorgan and it was just apalling. It would take an age to get through Stillorgan in the morning and in the evening.

I know it speeds up for some other people, but the same could be applied to any stop you could remove, which is my point. Every stop the bus stops at before you get on or off effects the bus, but those stops are servicing someone. You are only looking at it from your own perspective and forgetting that there are people that want to get off there. Any time a bus goes through Stillorgan village, there is always a large amount of people getting on and off, which justifies the stop. We'd all love if the bus picked us up and didn't stop again until you got off, but that is not the case. The Stillorgan stops are just as important to the passengers wanting to get on and off there as any other stop on the route, even if it does take a little longer.

There are other slow stops on the route too and the total stopping time for all others stops far exceeds Stillorgan, even if they are the slowest stops on the route. Some stop had to be, but it averages out over the route. I don't hear you calling for the bypassing of the stops at D'Olier Street, Nassau Street, St. Stephen's Green or Leeson Street Bridge etc., which all slow it down for people. Those stops slow the 46A down, so why not get rid of them? Chances are you might get on or off at some of those stops, so you certainly don't want them bypassed, do you? You'd be right. You are entitled to use them, just as the people of Stillorgan are entitled to theirs.

If you remember before the QBC started at all: now that was slow. So even with Stillorgan, things are far better than they used to be. As to the frequency and timetable, well if there is one leaving one terminus every 5 minutes, and they all get stopped for the same time in Stillorgan, then there will still be one arriving at the other terminus every five minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

its not a case of the bus not stopping its avoiding an area of very heavy traffic the bus still stops to let people off who want to go to stillorgan village it doesn't just keep going
    secondly if you can suggest an alternative route into the city centre that would leave people within walking distance of stephens green d'olier st etc but avoid all the traffic i would love to hear it
    lastly your suggestion that all the buses will be held up for the same amount of time so it would have no efect on the timetable is very simplistic
    i will try to explain to you as simply as i can
    lets say at the moment the bus has a running time of an hour
    average 8 hour day driver does 8 journeys
    now in order to stop at stillorgan running time is 1 hour 15 minutes
    thats less than 6 and a half journeys already you have lost 1.5 journeys per driver
    roughly 40 drivers a day on the 46a thats over 60 journeys per day
    in other words to have same service it would need 10 more buses or have a increased gap between the buses if you dont have anymore buses which dublin bus doesn't
    apart from that putting on more buses would make no sense you would have all the increased cost but less revenue as less people would use a service that took longer
    not to mention it would discourage people from using the route so they would go back to their cars more traffic more delays
    this is a very simplistic example of how it would effect the service
    so feel free to pick holes in it
    but the basic point is that to provide a reliable service it is important to avoid as much traffic as possible when a bus can move freely it is possible to predict fairly accurately
    how long a journey will take when it is stuck in traffic it is impossible to predict how long a journey will take

Yes, but we could say that if we remove all stops between the Savoy Cinema and the Burlington Hotel, the bus would save the time it loses going through Stillorgan village. Would you agree to that? Of course not. Why? Because people want to get on and off at those stops. People want to get on and off at the Stillorgan stops too, so they should not be passed either. "But that slows the bus down" I hear you say. True, but so does stopping at those other stops. There is not one single stop on any bus route in the city that does not slow a bus down if it has to stop at it, but they are there because people want to use them.

The arguments for getting rid of the Stillorgan stops can be made for any stop. I have never denied that going through Stillorgan slows the bus down, but nevertheless people want to get on or off there. If you can argue to get rid of them, you can argue to get rid of the others, for the exact same reasons. If you argue to keep the others, you can argue to keep the Stillorgan ones for the exact same reasons. You can't have it both ways. I am the only one making a consistent argument, that all stops should be kept because people use them, even though stopping at them slows the bus for those not getting on and off at them. If you don't want stops on your journey and you want the direct route, get a taxi. If you want to remove the Stillorgan stops then we should get rid of the ones at D'Olier St., Nassau, the Montrose Hotel and the stops going around by Monkstown Farm - a far bigger detour than Stillorgan village - amongst others, for the exact same reason: They slow the bus down.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hang on. If the routes is popular, shouldn't you be adding stops, not taking them away. To improve the service speed, you need to provide semi-express services.

Regarding Stillorgan village, route 10A and other services do service the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Flukey wrote:
    The arguments for getting rid of the Stillorgan stops can be made for any stop. I have never denied that going through Stillorgan slows the bus down, but nevertheless people want to get on or off there. If you can argue to get rid of them, you can argue to get rid of the others, for the exact same reasons.

In reality, though, the Stillorgan issue was on an entirely different scale to your average stop.

To have hundreds of people spend 15-20 minutes each way every day to save walking 200m is just ridiculous, even if half the passengers lived there. I took the 46A in the mornings before it used the main road, and it could take up to a quarter of an hour from the time it turned off the main road just to get to the shopping centre. I often thought that if I lived in Stillorgan, I'd much rather walk up from the dual carriageway than sit on the bus for ages.

I can appreciate that walking up from the southbound side is probably quite awkward. A footbridge mightn't be a bad idea there.

I vaguely remember the 75 bypassed Dundrum completely the traffic was so bad. Don't know if it still does.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Flukey wrote:
    ...If you want to remove the Stillorgan stops then we should get rid of the ones at D'Olier St., Nassau, the Montrose Hotel and the stops going around by Monkstown Farm - a far bigger detour than Stillorgan village - amongst others, for the exact same reason: They slow the bus down.

Well, in fact I don't think a stop is slowing down the bus... but the red light, trafic are especialy from O'Connel street to the Green which is the worst part of the route. The same thing happen in Stillorgan, some traffic to get in (leave the N11) and traffic jam at the junction near the lesiureplex.

If they want to speed up the route at the beginning, they would have to have a car free city center (in our dreams!!) or starting the route at the green. You can try to walk from O'Connel to the Green to get the 46a and save time but at the moment, during peak hour you are more likely to end up with a full bus that won't stop... ! :rolleyes:

Raphael

Flukey wrote:
    Yes, but we could say that if we remove all stops between the Savoy Cinema and the Burlington Hotel, the bus would save the time it loses going through Stillorgan village. Would you agree to that? Of course not. Why? Because people want to get on and off at those stops. People want to get on and off at the Stillorgan stops too, so they should not be passed either. "But that slows the bus down" I hear you say. True, but so does stopping at those other stops. There is not one single stop on any bus route in the city that does not slow a bus down if it has to stop at it, but they are there because people want to use them.

The arguments for getting rid of the Stillorgan stops can be made for any stop. I have never denied that going through Stillorgan slows the bus down, but nevertheless people want to get on or off there. If you can argue to get rid of them, you can argue to get rid of the others, for the exact same reasons. If you argue to keep the others, you can argue to keep the Stillorgan ones for the exact same reasons. You can't have it both ways. I am the only one making a consistent argument, that all stops should be kept because people use them, even though stopping at them slows the bus for those not getting on and off at them. If you don't want stops on your journey and you want the direct route, get a taxi. If you want to remove the Stillorgan stops then we should get rid of the ones at D'Olier St., Nassau, the Montrose Hotel and the stops going around by Monkstown Farm - a far bigger detour than Stillorgan village - amongst others, for the exact same reason: They slow the bus down.

yet again you fail to see the difference the stops have not been got rid of the bus takes a detour to avoid very heavy traffic an alternative stop is provided on the detour
    the issue is not wether stopping to pick up passengers slows the bus down its wether taking a detour speeds the journey up the passengers are still picked up and dropped off a few hundred yards from where they would normally get on or off
    as i said if you can identify a detour within walking distace of the city centre stops you mentioned that has a lot less traffic iam sure dublin bus and the dto would love to hear about it

I understand the point perfectly about detours. The detours at the Montrose Hotel and the big one going around by Monkstown Farm and that awful narrow road could equally be bypassed. The 75 bus goes straight through avoiding that detour. I know Stillorgan village slows the bus down, for people travelling past it, but nevertheless it goes there to serve other people and they are entitled to that service, even if it does slow down people going further. It goes through the village at off-peak times, but at the times it would be most in demand the service is lost. The dual carriageway in this case makes it a particularly awkward and dangerous addition to the journey of those having to get off there, so there is a safety issue. You could even argue that because there are a lot of people wanting to use those stops, it is not really a detour. If it went through Stillorgan for no reason then it could be considered a full detour. Even though it is not a direct line along the dual carriageway, it goes that way because people want it. The whole 46A route is not the most direct way to Dun Laoghaire, so you could argue that it is a detour in itself. It may slow down the overall journey, but there is a demand for that detour through Stillorgan village and the passengers that use it should have equal rights to their service as any other passenger has.

As I said from the beginning, saying a majority favoured it is a flawed statistic. Naturally anyone going further is not going to favour it, so it is pointless asking them. The only people to have asked would have been the people who use those stops. When the majority of them say they don't mind be dropped off on the dual carriageway, then it should be done. If it slows others down, well that is unfortunate, but those passengers that want to get on and off at those two stops should be allowed to do so as they are for the rest of the day.

Flukey wrote:
    I understand the point perfectly about detours. The detours at the Montrose Hotel and the big one going around by Monkstown Farm and that awful narrow road could equally be bypassed. The 75 bus goes straight through avoiding that detour. I know Stillorgan village slows the bus down, for people travelling past it, but nevertheless it goes there to serve other people and they are entitled to that service, even if it does slow down people going further. It goes through the village at off-peak times, but at the times it would be most in demand the service is lost. The dual carriageway in this case makes it a particularly awkward and dangerous addition to the journey of those having to get off there, so there is a safety issue. You could even argue that because there are a lot of people wanting to use those stops, it is not really a detour. If it went through Stillorgan for no reason then it could be considered a full detour. Even though it is not a direct line along the dual carriageway, it goes that way because people want it. The whole 46A route is not the most direct way to Dun Laoghaire, so you could argue that it is a detour in itself. It may slow down the overall journey, but there is a demand for that detour through Stillorgan village and the passengers that use it should have equal rights to their service as any other passenger has.

As I said from the beginning, saying a majority favoured it is a flawed statistic. Naturally anyone going further is not going to favour it, so it is pointless asking them. The only people to have asked would have been the people who use those stops. When the majority of them say they don't mind be dropped off on the dual carriageway, then it should be done. If it slows others down, well that is unfortunate, but those passengers that want to get on and off at those two stops should be allowed to do so as they are for the rest of the day.
    no iam afraid you dont understand
    those are not detours they are the route not going into stillorgan village is a detour
    bus routes rarely take the most direct route
    your point about majorities is nonsense
    so if only one person was boarding at stillorgan village that person being the majority at that stop would have a veto over every other person using the service
    have you ever heard of the concept of the greater good
    the point about equal rights
    it is not aparthied they are not picking on you because you are from stillorgan

AndrewMc wrote:

I can appreciate that walking up from the southbound side is probably quite awkward. A footbridge mightn't be a bad idea there.

There is a pedestrian underpass at Stillorgan already.

The fact is that apart from a very small walk Stillorgan has the best, fastest, most frequent, most reliable bus service into and out of the city.

Where I live there is one return service to the city a day and a 40 minute frequency local service. I would like a better service but the fact is when there was one it was not used so was sacrificed to provide services where they were needed more.

Stillorgan benefits greatly from the frequent services that primarily serve other parts of the city, a small walk in peak hours to ensure these services run smoothly and are beneficial to others is a small price to pay.

Let's not forget that there are many other routes that do serve Stillorgan village in peak hours. 10A, 11, 63, 75, 86, 115, 116, 117.

I am not from Stillorgan. There is a lot more than one person stopping at those stops. You could apply that "greater good" logic to each stop on the route and they'd all be passsed. What you mean by the "greater good" is the people going past Stillorgan. If you got off in Donnybrook, you'd not be worried about Stillorgan and not care if it passed through it or not. It may not suit you to go through Stillorgan, but there are passengers that it does suit. I doubt when they get off they are thinking "This is a bit of a nuisance, but we don't want to delay shltter and the others, so it is OK." I travel on a lot of buses and a lot of them at certain parts of their route go off the beaten track a bit before returning to the main route. It slows my journey down, but I know it is there to serve others on the route, so I don't complain about it. It might suit me and most of the passengers on board if the bus didn't go into those places, but it goes into them because there is a need for it, so I accept it. The buses are there to serve all the passengers. The 46A is there to serve all the passengers, not just the ones getting off after Stillorgan.

The 11 does not serve Stillorgan village and is extremely slow going into the city or out of it at rush hour. The 75 is not very frequent and does not go into town. The 63, 10A and the 84, which you did not mention, are not frequent services either. The 86 now has one single service a day, at 8:25am. The 117 has one service a day each way. The 115 has 2 services a day each way. The 116 has very few services too. So the only decent bus service for Stillorgan village is the 46A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

There's also the new 145 which has 20 minute frequency on the QBC out the whole way beyond Bray. The timetable says it serves the shopping centre, but I don't think it should (anybody know if it does?). Regardless, it adds to the frequency of the 46A from Foxrock Church in.

• Advertisement

Yes it does. It has just been introduced at the beginning of October. I only saw it for the first time last week. There should be more buses going out the Stillorgan Road towards Bray. The 84 is not frequent enough, so this is welcome. Another bus serving Stillorgan is the 746 from the airport, but again it is not very frequent.

Advertisement