Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers block type thing help

Options
  • 02-10-2004 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

*Mod note, posted this in musicians forum, I feel that it also applies here as songwriting is still writing*.

I write most of the songs in our band... which now amounts to a measly 5/6. I feel like I'm oppressed by them though, like I have to live up to what I've previously written and if I write something that's different and I like it I'm always taunted by telling myself "oh this isn't material for the band. They won't like this. It isn't anything like the other stuff".

It's really oppressive and stops me from writing anything original or thinking outside the box but I can't help it. I want to be able to write without thinking where this will fit in with the other stuff or where it would go on an album and just write! Quitting the band isn't an option though taking a break for a few months is crossing my mind (downside is we'd probably end up doing this again and again).

Any thoughts, comments or experiences greatly GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

My initial thought is that you seem to regard writing as a solitary discipline, which isn't necessarily true, imo.

If you're working with other people, you have to be ready to include them in every step of the creative process, and to remember that in those cases the goal should be at least as much about being true to yourselves as being true to yourself.

My own collaborative experience is more in theatre and stage drama than music, but i'd imagine that to some extent the same rules of thumb apply. I think maybe you should all sit down and ask what you want to say as a group, how you want to say it, and where the areas of dissent are, and then construct what you write around that structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

My opinion on this is that you're trying to write according to a formula, which equals britney soears,justin timberlake or any ther poppy teen sensationalist bull****. Write what works for you, if you're the person writing the songs, and the other band members can't deal, then find a new band that can deal with what you write. End of buletin.

Much as I hate artistic BS,and I suffer a lot ofit, you can't force it, just do what feels easy/right for you, anyone telling you diffeently is just some *(&^% trying to sound important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you want new ideas, you'll have to experience new things. Climb a mountain, go outside during a thunderstorm, watch the stars at night, read more books, something you haven't done before. Everything new I try gives me ideas for stories (stories for RPGs, perhaps, but creative writing nevertheless).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I havnt read the replies I am just going to say a quick word on my own experience and hope that it helps you out.

Writing is a gift and is usually driven by emotions. If you are stressed out about anything in your life it will cause a block. You need clarity and feeling to write. Whether you are angry or sad or in love...you will not have a clear channel to these feeling if you have something in the way...any kind of stress will do it.
    Concentrating on it too hard will also do it.
    I have had the worse case of writers block, caused by heartache. I was at my best when I was in love and then when he broke my heart I was angry so I wrote about that, but then I stopped feeling all together and couldnt write anymore.

If you can channel your emotions somehow, lose yourself in them then you will have no problem getting back in the saddle again ;)
    oh and to address a little problem of yours...write for yourself, it doesnt matter what others think. If others dont like it then they can write thier own...chances are though if you are writing something that you truly put yourself into and love then others will like it too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

First to the guy who said I was trying to write poppy Justin Timberlake stuff... I'm not! My problem is that other people have expectations from me of what to write and unless I'm really emotionally charged I let that get to me in a bad bad way and I end up writing stupid constructed and construed songs that might as well be a bloody Britney Spears song. Actually they don't really have expectations of me, I just sort of think they do in my head. They've never openly disliked anything I've written. In the band we all write our own instruments and the direction for a song that I have isn't the direction that everybody else has. Angry badger, I know you can't force it, my problem is that this thought in the back of my head is trying to force something out that isn't right.

As I said in my other reply, the problem is that subconsciously trying to write in a certain direction ends up as not being able to write at all. It's a form of forcing it all out. If I want to write a slow song I have to shut my left brain off... which I find hard to do. There's always this little wee bastárd in the back of my head going "no that's not gonna be fun to play, I don't care how much you care about it and how lovely it sounds!" and I'm posting here because I want to beat the crap out of him with a 2x4. The exciting songs would flow if I could freely write.

When I got into making music with a band it was about getting your own style so that if any fan ever heard it they'd know it was you. I now drastically disagree with that notion and want to turn down the Radiohead road and not bore myself to death by doing the same thing two times in a row (Muse's new album anyone?).

I'm trying new ideas, new styles of music etc., trying to get a little bit of refreshment, but there's a thin line between trying new things and trying to be inspired (which never works, reminds me of trying to like a poem on the English LC poetry course by analysing and destroying everything good about it). I took a 2 week break from music and guitar and went back, deleted all of the mp3's of new styles I downloaded that I didn't like and went and bought the albums of the few I did like (oh Yann Tiersen, how I love you).

Thing is once we start a song we all like it all gets flowing really well and the ideas come in from all people at all angles. I think we all need to sit down and talk about what kind of music we want to make (great advice to the guy who said that). Getting a good foothold is the problem.

Niall McCann: Yeah I do regard it as something to be done by myself. I'm a very secretive person in many ways and I find it hard to be open and let my personal ideas flow through (I should get a psychologist :rolleyes:). I'm very fussy about where songs go and I'm afraid that if I unleash them too early they'll go off in a horrible direction. It's a personal flaw that's hard to overcome.

BEAT, thanks for the great advice. As I said, I'm posting here because something is getting in the way of writing for myself and I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation and could pull me through from the other side so to speak.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your advice.

P.S. AngryBadger if you still think music and writing means nothing to me, you did give 2 poems I posted very good feedback, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177727 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

grasshopa wrote:
    My problem is that other people have expectations from me of what to write and unless I'm really emotionally charged I let that get to me in a bad bad way and I end up writing stupid constructed and construed songs that might as well be a bloody Britney Spears song. Actually they don't really have expectations of me, I just sort of think they do in my head.

Ok, I read the whole post but this is a good place to start. You need to let that stuff in your head go, OR figure out a way to get around it.

Until you're more established as the driving force behind the song writing, why dont ya take an hour out every now and again, when your at home by yourself. Grab a guitar or whatever instrument you play and write a song for you. Not for the band, for you. And just do it because you enjoy writing songs, not because you hope to make a million off of it someday. Do it whenever you can and after a while you'll have a much better idea of what your style is. That will give you the confidence to have more of a voice when it comes to song direction in a band environment.

Your band could be the exception to the rule, but by another of the band members pushing a song in a direction that forces your song writing, its unlikly that the song is going to be successful. IMHO ofc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Standing on a thin spire of creativity and afraid of tipping the balance by replying in full. Just wanna say great advice Shad0r, they're basically the same conclusions I drew after I read back through this post. Thanks a lot to everyone, I owe yiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Writing has become something that's associated with stress, fear and other unpleasant emotions in your head - or maybe your heart.

Buy yourself your favourite sweet, nibble or savoury treat. Set up a place to write that you really like - maybe beside a window where you can see a nice view, with a toasty winter fire beside you, with a desk or table that's neat and beautifully arranged, with your favourite sculpture and a bunch of flowers in a vase. Put on your favourite writing-music, preferably instrumental so it doesn't get in the way of your own song.

Make yourself a pot of tea or coffee or cocoa and bring it up with your favourite cup, and milk and sugar in a pretty jug and bowl.

Sit down with a glossy new gorgeous writing pad, with that new new smell, and a selection of new pens in different colours.

Doodle around with a song. Draw a few pictures, write mini-stories about the people in the song - don't have to be serious, they can be funny and off-the-point. Nibble at your treats, drink your tea or whatever, gaze out the window.

You'll write something. Be pleased with it - after all, The Flow brought it, don't be ungrateful! Leave it for today; bring your food and cup and stuff away and wash up.

Do the same tomorrow. Put up fresh flowers every day. But every day, have the same treats, the same writing-music, the same beautifully arranged writing place. If you can, write at the same time.

The way this works is the same way that reading a baby the same story every night at bedtime, and playing the same lullaby and putting the same teddy in bed with her will make her go to sleep better - associations.

Because you've made associations in your mind/heart with pleasant things - nibbles, a happy view, particular, loved music, a particular arrangement of the desk that's pleasant to you, a new notebook and pens - you'll gradually rewire your brain to think of writing as something you like and look forward to, and something you succeed at. But *keep the routine going* if you want this to work. Do it every day.

And because it's now pleasant, and because it's a routine, your writerly part will jump up and yawn and stretch when it sees the desk, the flowers, the view, the notebooks, the treats, and say "Oh yeah, what was that great line I thought of in my sleep last night..." and happily settle down to work.

This is a behavioural approach, and it works well. But only if you keep it up. (If you don't keep it up, you just start again, of course.)

Advertisement