Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Letter To Sheila Gilheany <==========

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Dear Sheila.....my god, thank you so much. I remember meeting you for the first time in the Southern hotel in Sligo when you were giving a talk about CTYI to prospective atendees...I was their with my little brother, having attended the summer before, when you weren't present, and thinking that you couldn't be in charge of CTYI...you weren't geeky enough, or professor like...you reminded me of my mum a bit to be honest. You proved me wrong in the two years after that. Since then we've ran into each other once or twice during my time at CTYI, and we didn't always agree on matters, but what CTYI did for me from the first time I turned up at DCU is just amazing, and you are really a huge part of making it happen. In my three years at CTYI I have made the best friends I have, learnt so much about myself, and about others for that matter, understood myself, grown up, accepted my mind and the way it works, learned to be unafraid to have opinions, learned what I want to do in later life, and why I want to do so....CTYI has shaped me and helped me grow in a way that can only be paralleled with my parents. I can never express how grateful I am. All I can say is thank you.

Thank you Sheila.

Sarah Brennan

(And after a bit of consideration, you're really not like my mum at all )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ILikeCheese

All that I can say is summed up in one simple statement. Sheila, you rock! After 3 years I can't imagine CTYI without you. Good luck.
    Yours sincerely,
    Eamonn Carey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Sheila,

Thanks for organising one of the best times of my life. The days I have spent in ctyi has been the unforgettable to say the least. I've picked up many wonderful friends durning my years attending courses there. Thank you.

Simon Dardis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm really ashamed to have posted this so late but if Shiela ever reads this then I'd like to say that few words expressed my sadness and disapointment when I heard the news. I wish you the very best for the future
    With Best Regards
    Matthew Taaffe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 La Guitarra

Sheila,

I want to thank you for making my youth so much better. The last seven years would not have been half as good without CTYI and i'm going to miss it and you very much. Thank you for giving me the best years of my life,

Love
    Emma Dore-Horgan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 PurplePainter

Hi Sheila,
    I know you will remember me! My name is Róisín Garvey, and on behalf of all the Garveys (Alanna and Cathal too!) I'd like to thank you for being kind and helpful to us always (even when I was a very annoying little junior!)
    Thank you for your contribution to the CTYI experience, and I am sorry You won't be there when I Invade as an RA some year
    x x x x x
    Roisin -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Oh my god!
    I can't believe Sheilas leaving. The fundamental forces of the universe are out of balance. The seas will rise, cities will fall and dogs will marry cats. God forbid, Atomic Kitten will get back together.

Ok, It's Jack Connolly by the way. I'd just like to say my deepest warmest thanks to Sheila for creating CTYI and making so many people happy. I'd also like to thank Sheila for being the best authority figure in the history of summer courses, someone who understood that the crazy things we did, ie Megadeath chasing Barren into the kitchen and putting a knife in the door,were what made CTYI special and didn't get all uppity about it. And also for being so nice and understanding about stuff if you had aproblem. Did you know that I nearly quit CTYI after 3 days because I was lonely and it was Sheila and Colm who convinced me to stay. Imagine if I had never been there! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Sheila,
    as you leave what was your life for the past 11 years, remember this :
    most people say that to know that one persons life was a little better
    because they were in the world is enough in their lives.
    Since founding CTYI you have made 18000 peoples lives a helluva lot
    better than they would have been otherwise. (including mine for the last
    6)

Some major respect from us all for what youve done,
    Cathal Malone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Whoever forwarded this to Sheila before, sending it to her agan now might be a good idea, if you havent already, since i think most people have said what they want to say. I'd do it, but im technollogically retarded(not meant in an insulting way to the mentally disabled). Just a suggestion, I'd hate to have her miss what some people had to say. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Neil mailed in a link to the thread, only reason i was forwarding it was because I had a few extras

• Advertisement

Oh, OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 farry aka faz

I wish Sheila the best of luck in the future and I thank her for all that she has done for us at CTYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that a few of the RAs were at a goodbye thingy for Sheila recently, and in Colm's speech, first he compared Sheila leaving CTYI with Bryan leaving Westlife, and then he mentioned all these tributes as a testament to how much Sheila has done for so many people over the years. Just so you know she knows you care - we'll all miss her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Thanks bish. Good to know we made an impact

Yeah, cheers bish.

Advertisement