Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky News.... is it them or me?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr Byrne

You never once referred to the success story of Sky news Ireland. Why do they say its a success? why are they expanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

flogen wrote:
    (I'll see if I can find that map of Ireland they had on their ads for Sky News Ireland, the one where they had a red dot over Wicklow and 'Dublin' written beside it).

Here it is.

right. well very often when your watching RTE they have technical difficulties with reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Technical difficulties are one thing, that was not a technical difficulty, that was just an uninformed mistake. They have their Irish main office in Dublin, surely they should know where Dublin Is.

Well, I still reckon that Sky News Ireland is the better one to watch. Lets go back to the Friday bulletin. If you want the most informed reports on the Irish born hostage, Margeret Hassan, then watch Sky News. RTÉ don't have anyone in Baghdad.

Whta I am referring to by technical difficulties, is that you say there is a lot wrong with Sky News IRELAND, well tell me, what technical difficulties are they having compared to regular difficulties with playing reports on RTE.

Lets also go back to someone said that the reason why Sky news is most popular is thta they're always there, well I mean, we now have BBC News 24, ITN, CNN London and EURO News (If it is an internaltional story you could also refer to MSNBC or FOX News, if you're an idiot and can speak arabic- al jazera). WE are spolit for choice with 24 news networks, 4 of which are london based. So, you don't have to tune into Sky News, yet the majority of people living in great Britain and Ireland feel Sky News give the better coverage.

As regards someone earlier saying that SKY don't show programmes, its always the news and :rolleyes: BBC show programmes and sky never do - well I refer you do a programme that they showed last night @ 9:30PM on bullying and abuse in the Briitsh army , I refer you to "sky accross america" - three half hour prgrames every day this week - sky can afford their very own private jet to fly around america getting the stories that matter on the the US Presidential acampagins, and they are VERY fair and balanced doing it. - Sky have a news active service, you can shoose what news you want to watch and there are no shcedules or bounderies. I can also point out that Sky showed the debates in special programmes, they regularly have special programmes for exclusive interviews. Go back to the last gulf war, they showed the saddam interview and other interviews in special programmes on their news channel. Most people also feel that sky are the best when it comes to Sports nes - they have their own channel for that and they are the best when it comes to Business news, in my opinion and the opinion of alot of people - go to a load restaurant or a decent pub during lunch on Mon-Fri and Sky News is likely to be on the TV.

As regards murdock, you didn't read my statement that he owns too much and is too busy with the busienss side of things to have the time to control the news that goes on everything. - In my opinion, wether the news service is biased, has a lot to do with the producers - like American netowrks calling it "opperation iraqi liberation" - or ITN calling it "War on Saddam" - sky called it "war on Iraq" - now most of it has to do with the journalist on the ground , he/she could be biased or fair. Murdock doesn't go to baghdad and hold all his journalists hands telling them what to report.

As regards James Murdock, he is a great business man, he before BSKYB, he was in India. Murdock has a network their, it was ailing, going down the pot, James went over there and he turned it wround, it is a now a rocketing netowrk, that is why he let him be CEO of Sky. And that isn't made up, I read that in Newsweek, James Murdock is one of their "people to watch" for the year 2004, I usually save god copies of Newsweek, so i'll have a look for the article and scan it on for you. - Already you can see the differences, - look at Sky One, they've swipped most of the good American Drama's, and there are plenty more to swipe. - Sky News Ireland - yet another ingenius creation since James Murdock became CEO of BSKYB.

Awaiting your biased left-wing-conspiracy responses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Mr Byrne wrote:
    Well, I still reckon that Sky News Ireland is the better one to watch. Lets go back to the Friday bulletin. If you want the most informed reports on the Irish born hostage, Margeret Hassan, then watch Sky News. RTÉ don't have anyone in Baghdad.

Every channel gave good coverage to the Hassan story. I know she was born in Ireland, but that doesn't mean only Irish based channels can give good reports on her ordeal, what about the BBC?
    Whta I am referring to by technical difficulties, is that you say there is a lot wrong with Sky News IRELAND, well tell me, what technical difficulties are they having compared to regular difficulties with playing reports on RTE.

Can you make reference to a technical error that is as idiotic as not knowing where Dublin is on the map? And make sure you back it up too, please.
    Lets also go back to someone said that the reason why Sky news is most popular is thta they're always there, well I mean, we now have BBC News 24, ITN, CNN London and EURO News (If it is an internaltional story you could also refer to MSNBC or FOX News, if you're an idiot and can speak arabic- al jazera). WE are spolit for choice with 24 news networks, 4 of which are london based. So, you don't have to tune into Sky News, yet the majority of people living in great Britain and Ireland feel Sky News give the better coverage.

The majority of people in the UK don't get Sky, the majority of people in Ireland can only get sky (because they don't have digital). While other 24 news channels exist, some people still dont have the choice, me being an example. Even people with Sky Digital dont always get BBC 24, it has to be manually tuned and people often dont realise it.
    As regards someone earlier saying that SKY don't show programmes, its always the news and :rolleyes: BBC show programmes and sky never do - well I refer you do a programme that they showed last night @ 9:30PM on bullying and abuse in the Briitsh army , I refer you to "sky accross america" - three half hour prgrames every day this week - sky can afford their very own private jet to fly around america getting the stories that matter on the the US Presidential acampagins, and they are VERY fair and balanced doing it. - Sky have a news active service, you can shoose what news you want to watch and there are no shcedules or bounderies. I can also point out that Sky showed the debates in special programmes, they regularly have special programmes for exclusive interviews. Go back to the last gulf war, they showed the saddam interview and other interviews in special programmes on their news channel. Most people also feel that sky are the best when it comes to Sports nes - they have their own channel for that and they are the best when it comes to Business news, in my opinion and the opinion of alot of people - go to a load restaurant or a decent pub during lunch on Mon-Fri and Sky News is likely to be on the TV.

Actually, that deepcut piece was a "special report" not a programme. The same applies to "Sky Across America", the presidential debates, the Saddam Trial, the sports news and the Business news. They are all just sections of the news reporting. BBC have dedicated 30 minute shows to international business, sport, technology. It makes for much more detailed and interesting viewing than the same 3 stories reported constantly until something new happens.
    As regards murdock, you didn't read my statement that he owns too much and is too busy with the busienss side of things to have the time to control the news that goes on everything. - In my opinion, wether the news service is biased, has a lot to do with the producers - like American netowrks calling it "opperation iraqi liberation" - or ITN calling it "War on Saddam" - sky called it "war on Iraq" - now most of it has to do with the journalist on the ground , he/she could be biased or fair. Murdock doesn't go to baghdad and hold all his journalists hands telling them what to report.

Yes I did, and your theory shows the lack of journalistic knowledge you have. Have you ever heard of "House Style"? Basically its the type of story and style of reporting that a publication or station would usually stick to. You wouldn't write a tabloid story with slang and so on for The Irish Times, and you wouldnt write a piece on the Hong Kong markets with long words for the Sun. It doesn't matter what the reporter thinks, they have to stick to the stations house style or they dont get broadcast. Some places have a very bias house style (fox being the extreme example) some dont (the BBC and RTE generally).
    It is also rumored (and I'm not sure if this is true) that Murdoch rings his editors every day. It was said that had The Sun gotten their hands on the pictures that cost Piers Morgan his job he would have stopped The Sun from printing them, thats the kind of input he has.
    I really don't see what your point is on the "war on Iraq" thing, can you clarify it?
    As regards James Murdock, he is a great business man, he before BSKYB, he was in India. Murdock has a network their, it was ailing, going down the pot, James went over there and he turned it wround, it is a now a rocketing netowrk, that is why he let him be CEO of Sky. And that isn't made up, I read that in Newsweek, James Murdock is one of their "people to watch" for the year 2004, I usually save god copies of Newsweek, so i'll have a look for the article and scan it on for you. - Already you can see the differences, - look at Sky One, they've swipped most of the good American Drama's, and there are plenty more to swipe. - Sky News Ireland - yet another ingenius creation since James Murdock became CEO of BSKYB.

I don't know if he did or not, but you don't have to be un-bias to draw in the crowds, look at The Sun. Its full of crap stories, under investigated pieces and general trash but its still one of the most popular "papers" in the UK and Ireland.
    And we're not talking about Sky One, go to the TV forum if you want to praise that.
    Awaiting your biased left-wing-conspiracy responses.

Ah the cry of the Right winger... everything I say is a left wing conspiracy. It's not reality, its a commie plot to take over the world :D

flogen

Lets go back to the Friday bulletin. If you want the most informed reports on the Irish born hostage, Margeret Hassan, then watch Sky News. RTÉ don't have anyone in Baghdad.

The job of a news service is to gather news, process it and distribute it. Having someone in bagdad, washington or on the moon for that matter doesnt make that station any better. RTE probably do get their news through different means but they still get it. and they distribute it without the right wing slant.

nice to see you finally rememberd her name by the way.
    Lets also go back to someone said that the reason why Sky news is most popular is thta they're always there

That is NOT what I said, what I said was that more people watch sky because Sky is in a prominent position on the Electronic Programming Guide on satelite, where as here in Ireland BBC news 24 ihas to be tuned in manually. Manually tuning a digital satelite tuner is a little more difficult than flicking up and down on a radio you know,
    well I mean, we now have BBC News 24

EPG number please
    if you're an idiot and can speak arabic- al jazera

To ignore the news from a different point of view and then to call someone who does not ignore an alternative news source an idiot is not only racist but ironic.

and you dont need to know arabic to get the al-jazeera view of things

http://english.aljazeera.net
    yet the majority of people living in great Britain and Ireland feel Sky News give the better coverage.

The majority of people in "Great Britain" and Ireland don't even HAVE sky.
    As regards someone earlier saying that SKY don't show programmes, its always the news and BBC show programmes and sky never do - well I refer you do a programme that they showed last night @ 9:30PM on bullying and abuse in the Briitsh army

it was a special report which was on at 4.30, 5.30 6,30 7,30 8,30 as well. It was on at work over and over again.
    Sky have a news active service, you can shoose what news you want to watch

when you find bbc news 24 on the EPG see what happens when you press the red button. you cannot accuse BBC of not having this feature when you obviously havent watched it.

you my good man are starting to irritate me. calling people "idiots" for whatever reason will not do your credibility any good.

I'm replying to floggan here first:

"Every channel gave good coverage to the Hassan story. I know she was born in Ireland, but that doesn't mean only Irish based channels can give good reports on her ordeal, what about the BBC?"

- I watched TV3, RTE and then Sky News last friday, I felt Sky gave the better coverage on the story.

"Can you make reference to a technical error that is as idiotic as not knowing where Dublin is on the map? And make sure you back it up too, please."

- I can't go into specifics. I'm referring to before RTE playa report, they regualrly have a techinical feck-up. Like two weeks ago after one of the Presidential debates, I was very interested to hear what they had to say about it, but they had a technical feck-up and the report was delayed half an hour. - even tv3 can manage to put their reports on the air without technical error, most of the time.

"The majority of people in the UK don't get Sky, the majority of people in Ireland can only get sky (because they don't have digital). While other 24 news channels exist, some people still dont have the choice, me being an example. Even people with Sky Digital dont always get BBC 24, it has to be manually tuned and people often dont realise it."

- A lot of people in the UK do have Sky. Like us, they also have NTL and other packages in which they can avail of Sky News. Sky News is now free to air, yso if you buy a satellite without any network, as far as I was aware, you can also get Sky News. All digital packages in this country give you ITN and CNN. - in fact I do like CNN and I am writing to NTL to get them to put it back on instead on CNBC, - I suggest you do the same.

"Actually, that deepcut piece was a "special report" not a programme. The same applies to "Sky Across America", the presidential debates, the Saddam Trial, the sports news and the Business news. They are all just sections of the news reporting. BBC have dedicated 30 minute shows to international business, sport, technology. It makes for much more detailed and interesting viewing than the same 3 stories reported constantly until something new happens. "

- ohh - so you watched it? Well Sky do have other programmes. thye have a 24 hour sports channel but they also have a thing called "sportsline"- seen as they control most of the soccer rights, they get the best football coverage. I'm not interested in soccer, I don't understand why hetrosexual men would be interested i that sort of thing, but most people do like it, and Sky News have a programme dedicated to it - its on @ 10:30 most nights - right after Sky News Ireland. Sticking with that topic - ever heard of "little john" - how about "Boulton on Sundays" - (Something like that) and they had some programme where there was three women interviewing people, don't know if thats still going or not. Also they do have a business news every night.

"House Style"? "

- I understand what you're saying but I do not believe that Sky News is as tabloidish as the Sun. I don't like the Sun, but the average Working Class man loves it, and murdoch loves it because it earns him money! - I'm not forced to read the Sun, nor do I ever buy it - everybodies happy. - "Live and Let Live" - isn't that the phrase you lefties live by?

"I really don't see what your point is on the "war on Iraq" thing, can you clarify it?"

- Well you can judge the opinions of the producers to what they call the war. I don't think calling it a "war on saddam" is very fair and balanced, do you? Well, at least you don't watch ITN, thats a start, well done.

"James Murdoch"

- you are very uninformed. I checked my Newsweek archive, luckily I kept those magazines! - Seen as you don't like my main source- sky news, I hope you don't feel the same way about my second source - newsweek. They're owned by the Washington Post - Remember - the people that broke the Abu-Ghrave atrosities. - Newsweek is very respected around the world.

Anyway, a few quotes to put thing sin perspective from evidence A - newsweek dates December 29th 2003. - Title of the aritcle - "The Other Son rises, by Johnnie L. Roberts"

First quote: "...BskyB in which News Corp. owns 35 percent and Rupert Murdoch serves as chairman." --- "35" they say! - you thought the owned loads more than that, didn't you?

Second quote: "Things began to turn around for James with his appointment to the ailing Star TV in 1999. It was reportedly then losing about $100 million a year. James reoriented the programming from an emphasis on the massive but different Chinease market to India. The result: Star is posting its first profits this year. His performance there apparently put him in the running for the top job at BskyB in which News Corp. owns 35 percent and Rupert Murdoch serves as chairman."

There we go, I'll give you more quotes from newsweek as this conversation progresses.

"Ah the cry of the Right winger... everything I say is a left wing conspiracy. It's not reality, its a commie plot to take over the world "

- I just put it in to see your responses, I'm i pressed, I expected you to dive in. But no, I'm not saying everything you say is a conspiracy or anything now that you mention it, I was yahoo chat last week and there was this room called "Do you trust your Gov" - it was these weird Americans who were trying to persuade me that insurance companies are taking over the world and are in control of all of our governments! I hope you don't believe that but what you said about Rupert is quite similar. He phones all his editors every day? Does murdoch speak French? Spanish? Chinease? This is news to me. He phones all of them? - wow, News Corp will be bankrupt in two weeks if no ones running the shop. He'd have to spend all day phoning all his editors and making sure they're putting on what he tells them to.

Now to deal with billy the stupid:

"The job of a news service is to gather news, process it and distribute it. Having someone in bagdad, washington or on the moon for that matter doesnt make that station any better. RTE probably do get their news through different means but they still get it. and they distribute it without the right wing slant.

nice to see you finally rememberd her name by the way."

- I REMEMBERED HER NAME FROM THE BEGINNING. And as regards RTE getting it from different sources - they're called "reuters" and the "Associated Press" - Great to see you're finally admitting that RTE get their foreign affairs from second hand sources - sure you may as well watch TV3 news, they do that too but thats because they can only afford that. you see 500,000 people don't tune into TV3 News and they don't get money off of us to provide an News Service. Also, lets go back to the last gulf war, when RTE used to get their sources from FOX News - LOL. YES 0 remember? They used to pump Fox into their own news whenever they wanted LIVE footage. I remember one evening watching 6.1 and Brian Dobson was talking to an Irish army officer and he said how he saw a live battle on Sky News that morning.

"That is NOT what I said, what I said was that more people watch sky because Sky is in a prominent position on the Electronic Programming Guide on satelite, where as here in Ireland BBC news 24 ihas to be tuned in manually. Manually tuning a digital satelite tuner is a little more difficult than flicking up and down on a radio you know"

- maybe its also because BBC couldn't give a toss about Ireland. What time is BBC News Ireland on at? remind me again please. (and don't don't go waffling about Newsling Northern Ireland, they rarely do anything in the Republic)

"EPG number please"
    - BBC News 24 is tuned in on NTL digital. It is also free to air if you just buy an ordinary satellite without any network. Maybe Sky don't bopther tuning in BBC because no one wants it except you two.

"To ignore the news from a different point of view and then to call someone who does not ignore an alternative news source an idiot is not only racist but ironic.

and you dont need to know arabic to get the al-jazeera view of things

http://english.aljazeera.net"
    - Sky News show me both sides of the argument. I don't need to watch a one sided muslim news service. Ever heard of Khalid? You know the Irish guy, went to Saudi Arabia, got arrested, was brainwashed and now he's home, then went to england and is spokesperson for a radical Muslim group, know him? He says 9/11 was "justice" - he thinks beslan was great and he said Ken Bigley deserved to be beheaded. - and he watches Al Jazera.

"it was a special report which was on at 4.30, 5.30 6,30 7,30 8,30 as well. It was on at work over and over again."

- I dissagree with you. I was watching Sky News at 7:30 last Sunday night and I saw A report about bullying, it was about 5 minutes or so long, maybe a bit more, when the report was finished, anchorman Alan King, said and I remember "... and you can see the full report at a speical bulletin at 9:30PM" - eat that.

"you my good man are starting to irritate me. calling people "idiots" for whatever reason will not do your credibility any good."

- I irritate people when I prove them wrong :) - is that your problem? ohh and "calling people "idiots" for whatever reason" - "Billy the stupid" - I think thats reason enough.

Mr. Byrne, you were warned about personal insults, banned for 1 week.

You can continue your point after that, once you stick to the rules.

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Mr. Byrne is really Ruport Murdoch in disguise trying to prevent the "left wingers" from reducing the popularity of his news channel.

soon the FBI will be requesting billy the squid's extradition to the United States for "supporting terrorism" after his post defending Al Jazeera.

The FBI will also attempt the same for Flogen but not provide any evidence to support their claims, in order to protect their "operatives in the field."

Hows that for a left-wing conspiracy theory? :D

dont forget the indymedia cookies in the temp internet folder :D

I will write a reply for you Mr. Byrne when I have more time.

no fair by the way he "replies" to you and "deals" with me, i feel like a bold boy.

oh here goes

"...BskyB in which News Corp. owns 35 percent and Rupert Murdoch serves as chairman." --- "35" they say! - you thought the owned loads more than that, didn't you?

actually what I said was that Rupert Murdoch owned a higher shere in sky news before it merged with brittish satelite broadcasting. his shareholding was diluted by the merger.
    BBC News 24 is tuned in on NTL digital. It is also free to air if you just buy an ordinary satellite without any network. Maybe Sky don't bopther tuning in BBCSky News show me both sides of the argument. I don't need to watch a one sided muslim news service because no one wants it except you two.

If only the two of us wanted to watch it it wouldnt be on NTL now would it. My point is that it is not on the irish sky EPG. We have BBC1 BBC2 Northern Ireland on the EPG, BBC3 and BBC4 along with CBBC Cbeebies BBC parliment and BBC News 24 have to be tuned in through the Other Channels on the Sky Box. I am actually a big fan of BBC five Live as it happens.

Oh we don't have NTL in limerick so the only way to get BBC is through satelite. I won't say "through sky" as they ended their encryption agreement with sky last year.
    Sky News show me both sides of the argument. I don't need to watch a one sided muslim news service

how do you know it is one sided if you don't speak arabic. I don't watch the station because of the language barrier but in my experience I have found that they keep their news reporting and their analisys in separate sections of their website, and from what I hear in their broadcasts too. Stations like sky mix their reporting with their political leanings.
    Ever heard of Khalid? You know the Irish guy, went to Saudi Arabia, got arrested, was brainwashed and now he's home, then went to england and is spokesperson for a radical Muslim group, know him? He says 9/11 was "justice" - he thinks beslan was great and he said Ken Bigley deserved to be beheaded. - and he watches Al Jazera

Adolf Hitler liked classical music, should we stop listening to it because of that

at least we found one thing in common, CNBC is a dire channel, it is like watching paint dry. Bloomberg beats them all for business news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Joe Shurlock

Had to set up a new a/c because some good christian banned me. Perhaps he/she would kindly remove the ban so we can continue with the conversation. It would appear to an innocent bystander that he/she beanned me because he/she failed to argue his/her point and was getting embarrassed because I was proving him/her wrong and he/she is used to having his/her way and therefore had to ban me to save face.

Now I'll continue...

"If only the two of us wanted to watch it it wouldnt be on NTL now would it."

- Have you seen NTL digital? It's terrible, its cheap, they put as many free channels as they can onto it, to reduce their costs and maximise their profits.

"Oh we don't have NTL in limerick"

- Oh, Limerick you say. Well that explains a lot.

"how do you know it is one sided if you don't speak arabic. I don't watch the station because of the language barrier but in my experience I have found that they keep their news reporting and their analisys in separate sections of their website, and from what I hear in their broadcasts too. Stations like sky mix their reporting with their political leanings. "

- Al Jazera have a big reputation for being one sided and biased, SKY do NOT have such a reputation. If Al Jazera isn't biased, then neither is FOX.

"Adolf Hitler liked classical music, should we stop listening to it because of that"

- I'd say you should start listening to it because of that.

But you didn't answer me at the start about RTE showing FOX footage and Brian Dobson referring to footage on Sky News.

Perhaps Floggan would be kind enough to answer what I gave him, the message above entitled "I'm replying to floggan here first"

And to "Memnoch" - I am flattered that you think I'm Rupert Murdoch, but I'm not. And yes, that is a typical example of what you hear in left-wing conpiracy rooms on Yahoo Chat.

By the way, you people assume too much about me. Who said i'm right-wing? Well I suppose you're right, I am right-wing but not extreme right-wing. I did not support the War on Iraq either! - but for reasons different to what you might think! - I don't particualrly like Bush either, but Kerry is just as bad in my opinion, however if I was in America, I'd most likely vote for Kerry.

bad idea its up to the good christians, the admins now.

creating a new account to circumvent a temporary ban is bold, very bold

you were banned for the S word in this sentence
    - I irritate people when I prove them wrong - is that your problem? ohh and "calling people "idiots" for whatever reason" - "Billy the stupid" - I think thats reason enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Flukey wrote:
    Pedants of the world: Unite! :)
    Dyslexics of the world: Untie!

Joe Shurlock banned until I could be bothered unbanning the account, the same applies for Mr Byrne and any other account that he decides to set up.

Thread locked too, I think we can all agree that this thread has run its course and its just become people trying to justify their opinions rather than prove something with facts.

flogen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement