Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can men be friends with women..?

Options
  • 14-09-2004 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

A recent discussion in work where a work colleague suggested that men cannot have "friendships" with women....
    He believes that you can have acquaintances with other women but that a true friendship will always end up being sexual whether that be in fantasies or reality.!

Opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I used to believe that, maybe in a way I still do.
    For example: I have a very good female friend. We've been friends for years. I never taught I could be interested in her sexually. (She's good looking mind you). Then, one time I was drunk and a little lonley, and, only for very good sence on my part, I would have slept with her.

I think that you can be "just" friends with the other sex... ...if they are butt ugly, otherwise, if the situation is right, and you're lonley, and your drunk, and your feeling frisky...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Swarfboy
    please read the CHARTER regarding threads such as this
    moving to after hours
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

We've been though this before.

There is a ladder theory, do you believe in it?

http://www.intellectualwhores.com/masterladder.html

I sorta do, the stuff about the ladders is good, but I think most men have enough sense that they can be friends anyway, and screwing would only be a bonus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Has anyone listened to Chris Rocks thoughts on this... he does a whole session on plutonic friends.. I'd quote him but it would have to be censored too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah that theory's as good a reason as any to bring higher brain processes into the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Well I believe you can be just friends, I have close friends that are guys & getting frisky with one another has never been an issue. Having said that I guess I don't know what they say when I'm not around, but I have been drunk with them & nothing has every happened...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

hoky jebus...can anyone post the count on how many times this question has been posted? Seriously, it seems like I have seen this same thread starter atleast every other month.

To answer for you, yes they can. Not all can mind you, but I have several male friends and thats all we are and ever will be.
    I think you know which people of the opposite sex you can be friends with and who you cant from the start, and those you cant, well you are probably being thier friend in hopes that it will turn into something else...which generally backfires ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

of course men can be just friends with women.
    Having occasional sexual thoughst doesn't mean you can't be just friends
    even after kissing, fooling around or having sex on a casual basis they can go back to being just friends.

There may be a little bit of sexual tension there, the odd little look or specifically worded comment but that just becomes another aspect of the friendship.

The key is to be relaxed about it and not over analyse these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

usually depends on how good looking the friend is im afraid. You could always be very good phucking friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I think men and women can be just friends, but it generally requires more work than with members of the same gender. The sex issue, while I don't think it's over-ruling, we have to acknowledge that it's going to crop up at some point, even if it's only at the end of the nights' last whiskey shot.

The ladder theory is amusing, but in all seriousness I think the people it applies to are not the kind of people anyone wants to be friends with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i think it depends on the people themselves,
    some people can get to be very good friends with the opposite sex,
    others start to think that the friendship means more.. .
    all depends on the situation.. you cant give a black and white answer..
    different strokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

i think it depends on the people themselves,
    some people can get to be very good friends with the opposite sex,
    others start to think that the friendship means more.. .
    all depends on the situation.. you cant give a black and white answer..
    different strokes.

Totally agree - no black and white answer - a lot of grey inbetween. The only definate way a man and woman could be nothing more than friends is if none of them fancied each other in the slightest. Sometimes it can be just harmless flirting and neither of them would go any further. I had a really good male friend and never fancied or thought of him in a sexual way and didn't think he liked me either but he admitted to me one night he was crazy about me and we kind've lost the friendship then which is a shame because he was a great friend.

Also like ravenhead I have a lot of male friends too who havn't gotten frisky but guess I don't know what they say when I'm not around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

climaxer wrote:
    Totally agree - no black and white answer - a lot of grey inbetween. The only definate way a man and woman could be nothing more than friends is if none of them fancied each other in the slightest. Sometimes it can be just harmless flirting and neither of them would go any further. I had a really good male friend and never fancied or thought of him in a sexual way and didn't think he liked me either but he admitted to me one night he was crazy about me and we kind've lost the friendship then which is a shame because he was a great friend.

Also like ravenhead I have a lot of male friends too who havn't gotten frisky but guess I don't know what they say when I'm not around.
    So if a man fancied a girl, they can't be friends?

So if a man fancied a girl, they can't be friends?

Guess they can be friends but he'll always be hoping for more I presume if he fancies her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

climaxer wrote:
    Guess they can be friends but he'll always be hoping for more I presume if he fancies her.
    Not nessecarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wasn't this question done in When Harry Met Sally? Can't remember, been a while since I seen it,. Anyway, if I recall correctly, Billy Crystal reckons it's not possible, the sex thing is always hanging in the air. I agree with him, you'll always have one person who's more into the other one than the other one is into the other one. If you get my drift?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

climaxer wrote:

I've been friends with plenty of girls, I've fallen for some (but not all) of them but when they weren't interested we just carried on being friends and I've no more interest in them than that. Everybody's different though and it depends how the relationship starts, I think if one person fancies the other from the start then they probably always will but if you start as just friends then you can probably go back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Apparently you know which type of relationship you will have with someone within a couple of seconds of meeting them.
    I have a few male friends and there is no way I would want to be anything more than friends with them - eeerrruuugghhh perish the thought. Its not that they are ugg monsters just that I dont think of them that way.

stevenmu wrote:
    I've been friends with plenty of girls, I've fallen for some (but not all) of them but when they weren't interested we just carried on being friends and I've no more interest in them than that. Everybody's different though and it depends how the relationship starts, I think if one person fancies the other from the start then they probably always will but if you start as just friends then you can probably go back to that.

That is true - it really does depend on how the relationship starts.

I just feel that if I fancied a man whom I became good friends with and there was no chance of us being more - I can't guarantee I mightn't fantasise about what could be which is what the original poster asked - fantasy and reality. Guess every situation is different.

Well I am a pretty good judge of character :D

You either fancy someone when you get to know them, you start to later or else you never do there's no great mystery behind it. What I was thiking of though is a few male friends who've set out to become friends with a girl because they fancied her, which doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea, altough it worked for one of them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The problem is often that as you get to know and like them better (as friends do, generally), you suddenly want more...
    Of course it's all just theoretical. Just cause a guy would shag 64% of his work colleagues, doesn't mean he ever will.

stevenmu wrote:
    Well I am a pretty good judge of character :D

You either fancy someone when you get to know them, you start to later or else you never do there's no great mystery behind it. What I was thiking of though is a few male friends who've set out to become friends with a girl because they fancied her, which doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea, altough it worked for one of them

Lucky you then cos I'm terrible at judging men's charactors. Wish I could suss them out at the start.

Pickarooney - yes sometimes a person can grow on you and I can't believe its only 64% - only kidding ;)

Basically it really does depend on the two individuals and each time its different.

climaxer wrote:
    That is true - it really does depend on how the relationship starts.

I just feel that if I fancied a man whom I became good friends with and there was no chance of us being more - I can't guarantee I mightn't fantasise about what could be which is what the original poster asked - fantasy and reality. Guess every situation is different.
    You sound exceptionally tolerant, any girl that's liked me that I haven't liked in return has ended up hating me and tried to exact some form of revenge.

climaxer wrote:
    Lucky you then cos I'm terrible at judging men's charactors. Wish I could suss them out at the start.

I've noticed that girls in general seem to have that problem. I think it's because girls tend to be so complicated and ...ahem... a bit f**ked up, they can't accept that guys are (often) completely straightforward. For some reason they just don't want to believe that I'm exactly what I appear to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Ardent wrote:
    Wasn't this question done in When Harry Met Sally? Can't remember, been a while since I seen it,. Anyway, if I recall correctly, Billy Crystal reckons it's not possible, the sex thing is always hanging in the air. I agree with him, you'll always have one person who's more into the other one than the other one is into the other one. If you get my drift?

Sally: We are just going to be friends, OK?
    Harry: Great, friends. It's the best thing...You realize, of course, that we can never be friends.
    Sally: Why not?
    Harry: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape, or form - is that men and women can't be friends, because the sex part always gets in the way.
    Sally: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
    Harry: No, you don't.
    Sally: Yes, I do.
    Harry: No, you don't.
    Sally: Yes, I do.
    Harry: You only think you do.
    Sally: You're saying I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
    Harry: No, what I'm saying is they all want to have sex with you.
    Sally: They do not.
    Harry: Do too.
    Sally: They do not.
    Harry: Do too.
    Sally: How do you know?
    Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
    Sally: So you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive.
    Harry: No, you pretty much want to nail them, too.
    Sally: What if they don't want to have sex with you?
    Harry: Doesn't matter, because the sex thing is already out there, so the friendship is ultimately doomed, and that is the end of the story.

yeh it was on the ladder theory page if you looked ^ :)

as for being friends, yeh it can happen, i have a few women friends but i also stay with the girlfriend and i have no intention of ever wanting to take it any further with the friends.. we do flirt and stuff but its all harmless fun from both sides, shes prolly more dirty than i am to be fair so we get along just great that way.

Besides im quite happy with what ive got, i had'nt seen that ladder theory in ages so thanks to whoever posted it, had a nice chuckle over it again, although it is not completely true the way it is wrote tends to make me laugh a fair bit and at times he even speaks some sense :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

To be honest I'm not so sure Men and Women can be just friends, at least in my case anyway.

For example, I have loads of great friends but most of them tend to be guys. Why? Because I prefer the company of guys in terms of just hanging out and having a laugh and waffling sh*t etc (not in a gay way!)... Of course I have friends who are female as well and some of them are damn attractive but stuff has always happened whether it be me attracted to them or vice-versa. I tend to actively hang out with girls I fancy more because I WANT to get to know them better and possibly have something special with them. If this doesn't happen or the possibilty becomes remote (from my point of view) I tend to drift away from them coz if there's nothing sexual there I'm much happier and more comfortable in the company of my close male friends. I'll still see them around or with other friends but I never feel the urge to get close to them again. Of course I'm not saying that I can't be friends with a girl I'm not attracted to but for some reason I never seem to have a close friend of this nature. I guess when I do get close to a girl I'm attracted to I just always seem to want more and sometimes the feeling it mutual. When it's not I just feel that things have run it's course a bit and the spark dwindles and sometimes dies. I'm a romantic at heart and if I come across as shallow in this post I apologize as this is not the case. I think I speak for most guys when I state that we've all been in situations where we've agonised over whether to spill our hearts out to someone we're falling for or to make a move. There's NO worse feeling than actions of this nature not being reciprocated. At the moment I'm in the middle of such a dilemma but I'm not going to go into it here as it's more suited to the Personal Issues forum then here....

Haha if things don't clear up soon I may even resort to the PI board for some unbiased advice and opinions!!! :) Gonna stop typing now before this turns into a serious waffle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

We've been though this before.

There is a ladder theory, do you believe in it?

http://www.intellectualwhores.com/masterladder.html

I sorta do, the stuff about the ladders is good, but I think most men have enough sense that they can be friends anyway, and screwing would only be a bonus....

interesting site i like this bit lol..

Another thing to watch out for is the code words women use. Here is a translation guide for dealing with women.

Says: I want a man who is motivated and has goals.
    Means: I want a rich man

Says: I want a man who knows how to treat a woman.
    Means: I want a rich man

Says: He's from a really good family.
    Means: He's from a really rich family.

I'm sure you get the point. Let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

One word: Sexbuddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

There's probably some sexual element to all human relationships but it gets suppressed in most cases as it's more hassle than it's worth. Don't worry about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think you can be if you want it to be but I think its practically impossible to stay friends with an ex....usually one partner will be upset about it even if they cover it up

Advertisement