Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game-we are not happy :(

Options
  • 10-09-2004 4:44pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last weekend i bought Richard burns rally for PC [great game].
    My brother decided to buy it also the next day and asked his woman to pick it up for him while she was in the big smoke.
    For some reason the game would not install for him [my copy would not install on his machine either],having read on many Richard burns rally fansites i have read about this issue some people are having.
    Today while i was in the big smoke i agreed to take the game back to Game in Tallaght for the brother as i was heading that way to get a refund or exchange.
    Now heres the snag,Game have recently decided not to exchange any PC games unless they are faulty.
    This i understand what with copying of games etc but surely we have a valid reason for exchange?
    To cut a long story short the manager in Game in Tallaght was in no way sympathetic and was downright ignorant with a sarcastic tone and a smuirk on his face which was bordering on laughing.
    Basically i feel hard done by and think in this case the brother deserved an exchange as it is a known issue with this game on some machines ,not that them muppets in Game would know anything about.
    Ok guys rant over but i wonder what you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

does the game your brother got work on another computer? cos it could be his computer might not be sufficient enough to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Look, it's a store policy. just like you have to wear your uniform to schol. theres no use complaining. we can accept retuns on pc games and it has been like that for ages. sorry. as you know, the pc games market gets ruined by people copying the games. How is the person who is working to know that you are teling the truth and not just scammed a free game out of them. they cant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I tried to install it on my machine with no success.
    The game is faulty and a KNOWN issue,go check the net.
    Furthermore ive been in contact with SCI and they say Game have to give a full refund and if they dont comply they themselves will be in contact with game.
    I know what your company policy is,the manager in game stated that they will refund if the game is faulty,i have said and informed him the game is FAULTY.What is the problem?

are you sure the system reuqirements are fully met?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Company policy does not overrule the law of the land.
    The goods are defective, i.e it doesn't work so just be a good Irish retailer take it back, and out it back on the shelf.

• Advertisement

Sorry. If the game is faulty then yes the manager should have refunded you. I didnt understand you were saying it was actually faulty. I thought you meant that you had two so you were bringing one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the store manager's a prick. A game i picked up didnt state that the video card must have pixal shader to work so i brought it back explained the fault. While i didnt get a refund they allowed a exchange for a game of the same price. If the problem is not stated on the box then the manager cant do anything about it.

I agree that its impossible for staff to know if they are being scammed or not.
    As ive stated i agree 100% with the policy on the grounds of copying etc BUT i have said that the game is faulty and its a known issue.
    Game policy is that they refund if the game is faulty,ive said the game is faulty and unless Game have a PC onsight to prove me wrong then my brother is entitled to his refund.
    Game policy is to refund if game is faulty,it is faulty so what is the problem?

Ok ther is no problem. I presonally would have given the refund and I know my manager would. (dawson st ;) ). wait till ms rainbow kirby is around as she is our tallaght game staff who posts around here. I dont know what the manager is like in tallaght myself so I cant comment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Surely if its faulty, they would have offered you a replacement copy?

Or did you demand your money back?

flogen

• Advertisement

Yes i asked for either a refund or exchange ,when refuse i said i wasnt leaving the store ,this went on for 10 mins .
    What else could i do tbh so i left ,its the last time i or anyone from few other communities will buy from Game after i post about this outrage.
    They offered me nothing.
    they should have a PC instore if they are going to enforce this policy otherwise its a totally flawed policy.
    I for one am not by a long way finished with this matter.
    If i have to i will go to the office of fair trading about this matter
    Sure the game only cost 45 euro but thats not the point.
    God knows how many more will be stung by this policy which as ive said is flawed unless they have a machine to test the software.
    I wonder if anyone on boards has infact got a refund or exchange for a faulty game ie Game honour their policy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A couple of points here. If a game works on most machines but not on a particular kind then surely the developers must produce a patch. Tis a stange one to hear a developer/publisher saying "fair enough, anyone with that kind of machine can't play it".
    Secondly for Game to claim that their policy is to protect the game industry. Don't make me laugh. The game industry like the film industry is doing fine as far as I can tell. Tel the publishers to reduce prices if they are that concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The prices in GAME are shít anyway, you'd want to have your head examined if you're shopping there.

musician wrote:
    A couple of points here. If a game works on most machines but not on a particular kind then surely the developers must produce a patch. Tis a stange one to hear a developer/publisher saying "fair enough, anyone with that kind of machine can't play it".
    Secondly for Game to claim that their policy is to protect the game industry. Don't make me laugh. The game industry like the film industry is doing fine as far as I can tell. Tel the publishers to reduce prices if they are that concerned.

70000 people had downloaded doom 3 before it had ben released. thats not right! Ireland outsold the Uk on doom 3 sales. something has to be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

evad_lhorg wrote:
    70000 people had downloaded doom 3 before it had ben released. thats not right! Ireland outsold the Uk on doom 3 sales. something has to be wrong there.
    That just shows how available broadband is in both countries :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

evad_lhorg wrote:

Whats the number 1 selling game? And has it hit a million yet?
    Dcully i wouldnt have left the shop till i got a refund , your entitled to it faulty game is a faulty game.€5 for a form to to small claims court, thats all it will cost you.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

KdjaC wrote:
    ...Dcully i wouldnt have left the shop till i got a refund , your entitled to it faulty game is a faulty game.€5 for a form to to small claims court, thats all it will cost you.

kdjac

Thats what I'd do. You have your rights. If the product is faulty.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd change the game in this situation. The product is clearly faulty, so my boss made a mistake. Simple as that. If he still won't acknowledge this, bring up a copy of the communication you've had with SCI.
    BTW Dcully, can you describe who you were talking to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

evad_lhorg wrote:

I can just see John Carmack wandering around in rags begging for change because of lost sales... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Dcully wrote:
    For some reason the game would not install for him [my copy would not install on his machine either],having read on many Richard burns rally fansites i have read about this issue some people are having.
    For what reason did it not install on his machine? Does your copy work on your machine? If so the fault is not with the game but the machine....If not then you have two faulty discs (presumably) and they should at least have been replaced by the shop..

• Advertisement

My copy runs on both machines,his copy does not run on either machine.
    Any gob****e can work out that the game is FAULTY.
    Yes i can describe who i talked to,he wore a dark greyish brown shirt and was a biggish guy with glasses.
    Small claims court have been informed,that arrogant prick will not get his way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dcully wrote:
    Small claims court have been informed,that arrogant prick will not get his way.

Tis the only way , costs you a few pennies and them a few hundred , all you have to do now is show up.
    make sure you have SCI info, any web related info and the managers name.
    Write down exactly what he said to you.

kdjac

Thanks Kjac,everything has being noted.
    Im purely doing this on the brothers behalf as he doesnt have net access.

Dcully wrote:
    For some reason the game would not install for him [my copy would not install on his machine either]
    Dcully wrote:
    My copy runs on both machines,his copy does not run on either machine.
    Any gob****e can work out that the game is FAULTY.

I ask because you've contradicted yourself....

TBH the Small Claims Court takes months, and will only award the value of the purchase to you anyway..I reckon you're better off going into a differant Game shop, explaining the fault and asking them to replace it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

twattish employees (managers, even!) like this are the reason i'm going to stop using high street game shops alltogether now.
    getting smirked at, by some lookalike of the acne kid from the simpson's, the last time i bought a game - billy hatcher and the giant egg if you must know! - was one of the most tedious retail experiences of my life.
    (after having heard him try to tell a customer that the sims2 would work on a pc with 128mb ram running windows xp, natch)

nearly rammed the game down his ****ing throat

play.com and cdwow all the way from now on. and perhaps smyths if i get desperate

tman wrote:
    twattish employees (managers, even!) like this are the reason i'm going to stop using high street game shops alltogether now.
    getting smirked at, by some lookalike of the acne kid from the simpson's, the last time i bought a game - billy hatcher and the giant egg if you must know! - was one of the most tedious retail experiences of my life.
    (after having heard him try to tell a customer that the sims2 would work on a pc with 128mb ram running windows xp, natch)

nearly rammed the game down his ****ing throat

play.com and cdwow all the way from now on. and perhaps smyths if i get desperate
    I'm sure the kid would be terribly upset to know that Comic Store Guy left the shop is disgust, and, even now, is expressing his displeasure on the internet! :rolleyes:

Origionally neither copy would install on his machine but after finding out about this issue on RSC forums amongst others we traced it back to his DVD drive having problems reading some discs[pro evo soccer was the same]and thought we had the problem solved.Since then all his DVD discs are reading ok except for RBR which just sits in the drive and spins with the light on the drive flashing,very same as my machine.
    Just this morning he rang me to say he tried in another friends machine and it done the same spinning act on that machine.
    Eiither way its all ahrdly worth the hassle but ive learned a valuable lesson,never buy from Game again.
    Play.com tbh from now on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Absolam wrote:
    I'm sure the kid would be terribly upset to know that Comic Store Guy left the shop is disgust, and, even now, is expressing his displeasure on the internet! :rolleyes:
    you're missing my point alltogether.

they not only hired someone who doesn't have a clue about games, nor computer specs. they hired an insolent, ugly twat who then tried to persuede me that €5 off a new game is a good ****ing deal.
    no thanks bud. play.com sell them for roughly €45 anyway.

the ****wads don't even have ut2004 (and are selling the ut2003 & unreal2 pack for the same price they'd be charging for it if they did :D )
    and i've never seen a new copy of metroid prime in any high street game shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Next time this happens, just get your mum or someone who doesn't look like a male gamer to go in and ask for refund, because if this Bullshet of no refunds is about protecting the games industry from copying, Im damn well sure they judge that policy on who's is doing the returning - males aged between 15-25? ohoho, clearly a scam going on here with his little CD burner collection. Let's say no to him! Friendly mum-type? "certainly madam, let me just give you your refund and a smile" And don't deny it, because you KNOW staff treat customers generally depending on their looks.

How long has this policy been in operation btw?
    BECAUASE
    I bought Star Wars Galaxies not so long ago - I think we're talking November/Decemeber '03 from the Grafton Street GAME. I hated the game, and it murdered our BB connection and was generally utter arse (first MMORPG I played). So I went back 2/3 days later - €50 plus monthly fees are not my cup of tea:
    "I'd like a refund please".
    "What was the problem sir?"
    "It's terrrible and my connection couldn't take it"
    "Hmm ok" *checks the box to make sure it's all still in one piece*
    And I get my money back. And I didn't burn or copy the game either before anyone asks. no fuss, I was polite and nice and smiley, and generally don't look like a gamer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This policy's been going since about March of this year. And Grafton Street shouldn't have taken back a Star Wars: Galaxies at that time, because online-only games were always excluded.

Advertisement