Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which distribution for a newbie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smeg_for_brains

I have been using Linux mint 5 for about a year now, mainly because of the previously stated comment about being able to play mp3 and various video formats out of the box. I had previously tried Ubuntu and Fedora but could not get the codecs for mp3 and vids because I was not able to connect to the net.
    Using mint I simply switched my phon(SE W910i) to act asa modem, in firefox prefs clicke "auto detect proxy settings for this network" and presto, I was online.
    I am perfecly happy using Mint 5 for these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

+1 for Linux Mint.

LM is Ubuntu but more user friendly. It automatically recognised my Canon ip4200 printer, which didn't work in other distros, my zyxel wireless dongle and all my external harddrives and flash drives. It doesn't care if a drive is FAT or NTFS it just mounts them. Hassle free. And best of all you don't have to use the command line unless you want to.

Did I mention it is made in Ireland by a Frenchman? What more could you ask for :)

Rob (newb-ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Not tried LM, but I wish I had now :P
    Ubuntu was a Massive pain and a half to get my Broadcom 43xx Wireless Card and Microsoft Mouse working.
    Of course the irony was, once I found the solution, it took me all of 30 seconds to fix it. The hard part was finding them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I have a Sierra Compass 888 mobile broadband modem. It does not seem to work with Ubuntu or Mint.

Can anyone think of a distro that this device works with? Does Linux always have such difficulty in installing simple USB devices?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have a Sierra Compass 888 mobile broadband modem. It does not seem to work with Ubuntu or Mint.

Can anyone think of a distro that this device works with? Does Linux always have such difficulty in installing simple USB devices?
    Actually Linux is far better than most other OS's in supporting devices for which the manufacturer did not release a driver.

If there is no driver on the vendors website then complain to them.

Not sure if you can use ndis wrapper thingybuzzer on on it ?

at the terminal console type
    lsusb

this will give the device an ID like 1d6b:0001
    google the ID , it might suggest other drivers you can use.

TBH setting up a Hewuai E220 3G modem on ubuntu takes about 3 clicks and one of those is to pick which network you want to connect to based on your regional settings

• Advertisement

I don't have a Huawei modem, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

the sierra wireless compass 888 should work out of the box in mint or ubuntu.

it does with me :D

landyman wrote: »
    the sierra wireless compass 888 should work out of the box in mint or ubuntu.

it does with me :D

Which version of Ubuntu?
    *Note: Ubuntu 9.10 distribution is not supported with Sierra Wireless modems.

http://sierrawireless.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/500/session/L3NpZC9TNjViOERxag==/sno/0

Ubuntu 8.10 + 9.04 and 9.10

Mint 7 and 8, which are based on 9.04 and 9.10 ubuntu anyways and crunchbang linux.

Just plug it in and several seconds a screen will pop up asking would you like to set up a new wireless modem connection. Easy peasy.

worked on a msi and samgsung netbooks and a dell desktop.

Writing this from mint 8 at the moment :D

Yeah, I plugged it in with Ubuntu 9.10 and Mint 8 and no pop-up arrived for me.

Doesn't seem to be consistent.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I plugged it in with Ubuntu 9.10 and Mint 8 and no pop-up arrived for me.

Doesn't seem to be consistent.

Does it appear to be inconsistant with other usb devices?

landyman wrote: »
    Does it appear to be inconsistant with other usb devices?

It would appear to be consistent with the statement of the manufacturer of the device in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi,

total Linux noob here.

just reading back in this threa, it would seem that Mint is the version to go for, if I want it to work fully when I install it.

I've a netgear wireless modem, do you fellas think there would be any problems there?

I've already downloaded Ubunti 9.10, and am about to burn the iso to a disk, does Mint have the same process of installation?

Oh, do I need to go into the laptop settings and change it to boot from the HD to DVDRom?

Thanks a bunch lads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

usually if you press F12 during the POST you get an option to choose to boot from the CD on that boot

use a network cable during the install (this goes for windows too , so you can pickup drivers on the interweb)

if wireless is not picked up
    system - administration - hardware drivers

if still no joy then in terminal type
    lsusb

and search the web for the device ID

Thanks for taking the time to reply
    usually if you press F12 during the POST you get an option to choose to boot from the CD on that boot
    ok, I'll try that.

It's an Acer 5610 laptop.

use a network cable during the install (this goes for windows too , so you can pickup drivers on the interweb)
    Oh, excellent tip, thanks. I wouldn't have thought of that. Great.

Will Mint/Ubuntu automatically recognise the network card then?
    if wireless is not picked up
    system - administration - hardware drivers

if still no joy then in terminal type
    lsusb

and search the web for the device ID
    That's a bit over my head for the moment :)

This page contains old info as well, only try them if they still don't work two reboots after all you've applied all the updates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5610

This page contains old info as well, only try them if they still don't work two reboots after all you've applied all the updates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5610

excellent, thanks again

I installed Mint.

It's working! :D

Wireless just...worked.

I can see all the music/video etc that was stored on XP.

Brilliant, I was ready to feck the laptop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Erbium

I recently installed Mint!
    Very easy to do with little to no problems, on the laptop that is! On the desktop though..I was having other issues

Any for the most part Mint was just plug & play!
    Some nice features & over all I'm happy as can be with her!
    Mint ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had mint and went to ubuntu, mostly the same no big difference.

Enjoying it for the change of pace, but cant say im blown away, I'm probably not experiencing the full extent of linux, but so far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Going to install Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, will i need to back up the music and picture files i have on the computer before i do the install, will it wipe the drive or would i have to format it myself to do that? Also will it remove xp completely or will i have to delete that myself too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

foinse wrote: »
    Going to install Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, will i need to back up the music and picture files i have on the computer before i do the install, will it wipe the drive or would i have to format it myself to do that? Also will it remove xp completely or will i have to delete that myself too?

It probably wouldn't do you any harm to back up files you want to keep just case something messes up and you loose everything.

The install process could wipe the entire disk and re-format it if that's what you want. If you want to keep XP, it's possible to dual boot and have both XP and Ubuntu installed on the same hard drive. If you want to dual boot, what you need to do is shrink the partition XP is on. You'll then need to create two separate partitions for Ubuntu. One partition is a swap partition which should be about twice the size of your RAM. The second partition is the one you install Ubuntu on, I use an ext 4 partition for linux. The size of the second partition depends on what you want to install on your system, the minimum I'd set it to though is 10GB.

ak27 wrote: »
    It probably wouldn't do you any harm to back up files you want to keep just case something messes up and you loose everything.

The install process could wipe the entire disk and re-format it if that's what you want. If you want to keep XP, it's possible to dual boot and have both XP and Ubuntu installed on the same hard drive. If you want to dual boot, what you need to do is shrink the partition XP is on. You'll then need to create two separate partitions for Ubuntu. One partition is a swap partition which should be about twice the size of your RAM. The second partition is the one you install Ubuntu on, I use an ext 4 partition for linux. The size of the second partition depends on what you want to install on your system, the minimum I'd set it to though is 10GB.

The plan is to remove xp completely, the only thing i'm worried about is that when i use the live cd everything just works, is this because the drivers are there in the background already on xp or because they are there in ubuntu 9.10? I'd really rather not have to try to download drivers for these again, especially seeing as this computer is my only access to the internet. so say if the driver for my wireless reciever is gone i'll have no way of downloading another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

The plan is to remove xp completely, the only thing i'm worried about is that when i use the live cd everything just works, is this because the drivers are there in the background already on xp or because they are there in ubuntu 9.10? I'd really rather not have to try to download drivers for these again, especially seeing as this computer is my only access to the internet. so say if the driver for my wireless reciever is gone i'll have no way of downloading another one.

If you're hardware works while you're using the live cd, chances are it will be fine when you install it on you're hard drive. What you get on the live cd is usually what you'll see when you install it to you're hard drive.

Live CD is live
    it doesn't care what is on the hard drive, it doesn't even need a hard drive

the only windows drivers you may need in linux is if you have to use ndiswrapper for a wireless card , and that is only if the manufacturer of the card did not provide information for a driver to be written at no cost to them.

you can always connect the computer to the internet with a cable to download the driver, which you would have to do with a new install of windows too

what wireless card do you have ?

Oh yeah Ubuntu 10.4 is due out shortly ( 10=2010 and 4 = April )
    it is supposedly quicker for some stuff, not sure if any wireless upgrades worth waiting for

Thanks lads, that's helped me out no end, I kind of thought that would be the case but wasn't 100% sure.

Edit: thanks for all the help guys, I've made the switch and am talking to you now from within a fully installed ubuntu 9.10

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

I would have to say Linux Mint every time.

It's perfect for beginners without doing everything for you.

It's an ubuntu based distro so it's got a really good repository.

Try it out, it's really nice. (Just get the main edition, not the universal edition)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would suggest

PCLinuxOS

Various flavours to choose from .... KDE, Gnome, Xfce, LXDE etc

Latest ISOs released this month.

I found it the most 'comfortable' of all distros I tried when moving from Windows - and I tried about 30 of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 an hour or two ago on an old Dell laptop of mine (circa 2004). I have to say I'm impressed with how well it's running.

The last time I installed Ubuntu was a few years ago and it didn't recognise my NetGear wireless card but this time it picked it up itself and configured it. Connecting to the wireless network was easy enough as well.

I think the new Ubuntu software centre is a big improvement as well. The last time I installed Ubuntu, it didn't seem to have that feature. I know I had lots of issues before when trying to install anything at all. I never knew what to download or how to install it once I downloaded it. The packages seemed to be impossible to find and in general it was a nightmare.

I remember saying to a friend of mine that Linux would never take off and challenge Windows until it became easier for newbie's to use and easier to install software. I work in computer software myself but exclusively on Windows so I know almost nothing about Linux so I've a lot of knowledge of Windows but I found it tough moving to Linux despite what I knew. I guess that's understandable but at the same time, probably an indication that someone who doesn't know much about computers may have no chance.

Anyway so far it's working well. I'm using the Chromium browser on it now as I write this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I have just ditched Windows completely from the family PC, everything working as it should on Mint 9. Much happier now than I was with earlier episodes dabbling with Ubuntu. Goodbye Microsoft. ;)

Advertisement