Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do people think TCD is snobby?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Its good to hear sometting vaguely positive about BESS desertcircus.

Also, the bit about the L&H debate cleanup, I wouldn't doubt that for a second. A friend of mine is in said soc and has been giving me non-stop guff about accepting BESS and soon being "the enemy". It's quite ridiculous and what makes it even more so is his acceptance that the rivalry is completely one way :confused: I dont know of anyone attending trinity who would go on a 20 minute rant about how people from UCD are "fenians" or whatever. Even if all this is in jest, it gets really tired and boring very quickly indeed :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Every college has it's clique with the D4 stereotype attitude. I really like going down to the Pav for a few drinks with mates who go to TCD, and I've never really been bothered by the D4 heads. I hear that now adays UCD is a hell of alot worse for the bad attitude factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Well as a BESS student I can say that there's plenty of us who don't fit the stereotype - I've never played rugby, never gone to a Hist or Phil event, and don't even study Business or Economics (Sociology and Politics all the way!). At the end of the day there's 15,000 people in the college coming from diverse backgrounds and with diverse interests, in any situation like that there'll be people you like and people you're not so hot on. I don't like going to the Pav, I prefer my Tuesday night Champions League nights in the Buttery. Different people aren't necessarily snobs/****/knackers etc. The college is so big that you'll inevitably find lots of great people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm in UCD, 2nd Arts - sorry ORTS - and went to the Colours debate last year...

Frankly, if I was in Trinity (like my brother, for example) I wouldn't f*cking bother. The abuse was nasty at times, and several people left (UCD students all, I think there was ONE trinity student in the crowd - maximum).
    We'd queued for about 45 mins to get in, and after about 5 mins of the first UCD speaker, this bloke just got up criticised the speaker for "embarassing the university" and being a "disgrace to the L&H". And he was spot on, as well.
    I would've left, but, the 45 mins queuing aside, I wanted to watch the debacle in all its horror...

And dregin's also spot on. The bad attitude factor in UCD actually exists, for a start, whereas the vast majority of Trinity students I've met (loads of em through my bruv and the fact I live near the place) have been nice ppl.

P.S. This has nothing to do with the bitterness I still have arising from the fact that I missed out on Trinity by 20pts. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i dont know why they even bother having debates if egg heads are just going to ruin it every time.

besides if a person stars shouting abuse etc at the other university all it does is weaken their argument and give their uni a bad name, the whole idea of a debate is to win using your brains and not some stupid ignorant remark!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

snorlax wrote:
    besides if a person stars shouting abuse etc at the other university all it does is weaken their argument and give their uni a bad name, the whole idea of a debate is to win using your brains and not some stupid ignorant remark!

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭marvin2k

**** it I think there are loads of snobby people in college , There are loads of pretenious ppl who think just because they have a ****ty degree that they are above everyone . theres loads of snobby societies where people talk **** in an effort to indirectly prove how intelligent they are all pretending to listen to each other when they are just waiting for a their chance to talk ****ing pricks i.e - " oh do you remember that section of the Illiad where Thallius declared his assumption of Greek Artistry - I found it rather Inspiring it remind me off a satirical contrast between the polish workers uprising in the 1800s and the bourgeois repression of communist liberty ah ha hah ha ha " . The Lecturers are the Worst . I did Psychology and they basically take simple common sensical ideas and just use big elaborate terms and words just for the sake of it . The main reasons i wont do a postgrad are 1 Laziness and 2 being fed up with the snobs .Of Course most ppl in college are grand but If I was in need of some hardcore snobbery I would head to my local Uni

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

Maybe its considered snobby because the points are high enough in comparison to other colleges. My brother went to Trinity and he was slagged big time, but eventually it died down. It's not the location at all, just that the more intelligent people tend to choose TCD because of the reputation it has. I don't go there, but its a deadly college!!!

Advertisement